Bromeliads for novices and addicts, June 2011

Queensland, Australia

thanks so much Nev, I was working my way through the names in FCBS but I just wasn't getting there, so thought I'd ask. I'll let the neighbour know what hers is and I'll put a tag on mine. thanks heaps :)

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I second Nevs ID, Tash. Thanks for the link, I hope everyone cames for a look.
I saw some tissue culture orchids in plastic blister packs in Bunnings today, for $7.98 if anyones intereted. I managed to get a couple of the not so common ones! I thought I might keep them in the plastic hothouse with my seedlings until the weather warms up, as they're just babies.
Does anyone want to have a go at making the new thread for July? Just choose a good brom pic to start with, as this is what makes people look at our thread, (I think). Don't forget to add the link to the new one here, so everyone can follow. And in the new thread, put a link to this one, so people can back track to see what we've been up to.
If no one does it, you know i will!
Sue
my purple prince cordyline! So purple.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
north coast nsw, Australia

Brom. Tangerine? is there such a name? Was rotted in a wet plastic bag when the seller sent it to me but has pulled through and is starting to look nice.

Thumbnail by breeindy

Is this what sunburn looks like?

Thumbnail by breeindy

Does this mean no seeds? are the seeds like hairs? sorry about all the questions...

Thumbnail by breeindy
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone

Breeindy – Yes there is such a name as Tangerine. It is a Neoregelia made by G Anderson and registered with the BCR in 2002. If you look at the Neoregelia cultivars in the Photo Index of the FCBS http://fcbs.org/pictures.htm you will see a picture of it. This picture however doesn’t do it justice as it is much more beautiful than the pic illustrates.

There’s a good lesson for everyone where you say it was “rotted in a wet plastic bag”. Firstly, never send plants or seeds sealed in plastic as it sweats and if they are held up in the mail rot can start. Secondly, never send plants that are wet or the same thing can happen. If the plants are left out on a hot tarmac at the airport in the sun, the sweating will turn to scalding and if the plants are exposed to excessive cold, such as in the hold of a plane at high altitudes, they will suffer cold damage as well. This is why plants are best wrapped in newspaper with scrunched up or shredded newspaper in between plants for packing and insulation.

Your next question “Is this what sunburn looks like?” – The areas of light colouring on the leaves looks to me to be bleaching caused by too much light caused by either direct sun or light reflected off some surface such as water or a white wall, light coloured “Colour Bond” fence or similar. The other areas that look like brown paper could be sunburn caused by the sun shining on a leaf with water on it. The water will act like a magnifying glass and increase the effects of the sun.
It could also be caused by the plant coming in contact with some sort of chemical such as new galvanised pipe or mesh, copper pipe or timber that has been treated with chemicals containing boron or copper or water dripping from overhead timbers that have had the same treatment.

Your next questions - Does this mean no seeds? are the seeds like hairs?
My question to you: Is that flower spike from your Vriesea ospinae var gruberii?.

I don’t know enough about Vrieseas to advise you on how long the seeds take, (maybe Sue can add something) but just because the spike is going brown doesn’t mean it’s dead as you can still see the green parts. Seed may well still form and as it’s distributed by wind when the capsules pop open, you can capture the seeds by encasing the whole spike in a stocking. Air and water can still flow through it, but seed cannot. If you look at the picture in the post by Karen on June 12, 2011 02:01 AM, you can see what the seeds actually look like.

I hope this helps answer your questions

All the best, Nev.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Bree, I second what Nev says with the burn, but will add that in my experience, when the damage is from treated timber, the edges of the 'burn' mark look black, (yes, I have made that mistake several times)
When it comes to your Vriesea ospinae var. gruberi, just squeeze at the base of each little segment, as the seed pods are small, and down very low on that plant. If there is a pod, you will feel a hard capsule. You can probably peel away a bit of the outer part to have a look, and if the capsule is dry (not easy in this weather of ours) you can remove it and put it in an envelope to wait till it splits. The seed inside will look like dandelion seed, and will blow away if they are left on the plant too long.
You did well to save your plant. I've never had one arrive in plastic, but I do send mine out with a plastic bag lining the box to stop moisture leakage, as this often worries people in the post office! I still do the whole newspaper wrapping first, and the bag is open to allow the plants to breathe.
Nev, I had never thought of the wetness affecting them during transit. I thought the extra moisture would help to keep them going, at least the ones with a root system anyway. Food for thought. I remember working at a nursery where a truck load of tube stock came down from the tropical north. The plants were in transit for 3 days, and looked like cooked lettuce when they arrived. The peaty soil in the tubes was wringing wet, and they got steamed in the back of the hot truck. $3000 worth apparently. Expensive mistake, I wonder who paid?
This is a Neo. 'Bossa Nova' that has thrown a white sport. I left it on the Mum, as apparently there is not enough green for it to photosynthesise adequately for itself. luckily it is shaded too, as I think the white may have browned by now.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone,

Sue - Albino plants make a great conversation piece but unfortunately once removed from mother, KAPUT!

I once had a Mini Neo Meyendorfii which was very well known for is unstable qualities, at one stage there was a deformed variegated plant with a poorly variegated pup on one side and an albino on the other.

A lady who came to buy plants one day, especially liked the albino mini pup and wanted to buy it right or wrong; when I told her I wouldn't sell it because if it was separated from the mother it would die, she then said that she would take the whole plant. Again I said that I wouldn’t sell it because it was too unstable and she wouldn’t know what she was getting from one year to the next. In the end she got a bit ”huffy” and stormed out of the place, and I think to this day she thought I was telling her lies.

Below is a pic of the plant in question

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804
se qld, Australia

Never mind Nev, she'd probably be flogging doomed pups on ebay now anyway. You've done a community service. lol

Pam

Brisbane, Australia

I agree with Pam, Nev, but I can see the attraction to the plant. It really is lovely.

Karen

Queensland, Australia

good morning everyone,
I have started a new thread for July, here's the link
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1193617/
I hope I did it right :)
And yeah I agree with you Pam, she obviously didn't quite get it or something, lol. What a strange yet unique plant Nev, lol

Tash

This message was edited Jun 30, 2011 3:24 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.