Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and addicts, June 2011, 1 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and addicts, June 2011

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and addicts, June 2011
weed_woman wrote:
Hi Bree, I second what Nev says with the burn, but will add that in my experience, when the damage is from treated timber, the edges of the 'burn' mark look black, (yes, I have made that mistake several times)
When it comes to your Vriesea ospinae var. gruberi, just squeeze at the base of each little segment, as the seed pods are small, and down very low on that plant. If there is a pod, you will feel a hard capsule. You can probably peel away a bit of the outer part to have a look, and if the capsule is dry (not easy in this weather of ours) you can remove it and put it in an envelope to wait till it splits. The seed inside will look like dandelion seed, and will blow away if they are left on the plant too long.
You did well to save your plant. I've never had one arrive in plastic, but I do send mine out with a plastic bag lining the box to stop moisture leakage, as this often worries people in the post office! I still do the whole newspaper wrapping first, and the bag is open to allow the plants to breathe.
Nev, I had never thought of the wetness affecting them during transit. I thought the extra moisture would help to keep them going, at least the ones with a root system anyway. Food for thought. I remember working at a nursery where a truck load of tube stock came down from the tropical north. The plants were in transit for 3 days, and looked like cooked lettuce when they arrived. The peaty soil in the tubes was wringing wet, and they got steamed in the back of the hot truck. $3000 worth apparently. Expensive mistake, I wonder who paid?
This is a Neo. 'Bossa Nova' that has thrown a white sport. I left it on the Mum, as apparently there is not enough green for it to photosynthesise adequately for itself. luckily it is shaded too, as I think the white may have browned by now.
Sue