June, Headlong into SUMMER!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

New month, new thread.
Let's hope for more normal weather. (Is there such a thing ?)

More rain for New Mexico & West Texas.

Some heat relief in the Ohio River area.

Less wind in the upper midwest.

Everyone have a good month!
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Bernie. Love the yellow against the blue!

Going to be hot today 86º is predicted with high winds.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

45-50° here with rain and hail. Brrr.... Glad you're having such nice weather!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Thundering now. Not sure if it's raining yet or not.

Prague iris at Commanche

Thumbnail by pepper23
Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

billyporter, sure looks like from the picture of your garden that you live in a beautiful place (where it rains! Wow!!) Do you all have grackles there too?!

PrissyJo, sorry to hear you have fire ants. They sure can mess a garden up (especially eat the blossoms on okra, beans and peas.) The new baits with spinosad seem to help. I use the one called "Come and Get It".

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

64°/75° Rain showers developing around mid-morning. Mixed clouds and sun with scattered thunderstorms. A few storms may be severe. Winds ESE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

New thread! Thanks Bernie, I love the ''ghost'' in the window :o) I agree with Celia about yellow on blue. Very pretty!

Celia, only good thing about hot, is the wind....

Evelyn, there's nothing good about that!

Pepper, did you ever dry out from all the earlier rains?

Ladypearl, I do try to keep my little spot on earth pretty :o)

I have grackles and starlings. They don't bother much, but they do have homely babies, LOL, and they drop poop bombs from the nest in my birdbath, :o(

We had another good meal at Pizza Ranch and Dad got a coupon for a free pizza :o)

I came home and potted up plants for my neighbor. A friend stopped by and brought me two new iris for those I shared with him. One has yellow standards with maroon falls and the other is all deep purple. Both are tall and strong. I don't know if they are old ones or not, but I'm happy with them!

The Rock Garden. Now I'll need blooms for June thru October.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

All those Iris were from plant swap at an Iowa Round Up 3 years ago.

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

Wow! I feel like a brand new person with this brand new thread. It was an absolutely perfect morning for gardening! We actually had 48% humidity and I could breathe! just a slight breeze and only 84; much better than the 105 we had been having. I was in total heaven! I got so much planted. It was fantastic!

98 out now and the winds are up and humidity 13 but what a great morning.

This creature is 12" long and really creepy looking, on my front porch on the last day of May. A perfect example of how May was for me. The next picture is of June! I've got so much to say I'm going to have to take up two posts!

billyporter, I just wanted to thank you so much for the sympathy :) and for always responding to everyone. It's great the way you tie everything together. Your yard is so fantastic. I'm like LadyPearl--WOW !! And those lady's mantle in your rock garden are beautiful, too.

Bernie, thank you for the thread and for the good wishes for rain. We actually have a 10% chance of 1/10th of an inch today so I've got fingers and toes crossed. I'd cross every joint if I could! And I want to know who that ghost is, too! Love those irises, too.

Pepper, you have such a beautiful variety of flowers! Gorgeous

LadyPearl, I have the very best variety of okra growing. Those ants had better not get it! I've also got lots of different kinds of beans. I've heard of spinosad and understand it's organic but they don't have it around here. Is there a place you know of on the internet to get it?

...continued next post

Thumbnail by PrissyJo
Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

This little sunflower is my example of June and I feel like it's a new start with this new thread. It's a Solar Baby Sunflower, only 2 ft high and has 9 buds already.

Kwanjin and TropicalNut- Love that Tanager!! I can't believe you're just north and a tiny bit west and our weather has been SO completely different! During May all I had were grackles and doves but this morning I had hummers, robins, western bluejay, 3 kinds of wrens and no grackles at all!

LadyPearl, can you believe the difference in my weather and my birds in just one day! By the way, if the ants get my stuff, I'll do a search for Come and Get It. Thanks for the info. Are you having a good month, too??????

billyporter, I just really can't get over your beautiful yard!!

Bernie, I can't get over ALL of your beautiful plants. I know you'll have a great market season.

Thumbnail by PrissyJo

Hot and humid again but temps only got to 83 today. But the humidity was horrible. Feels like July. lol

Cool sculpture at Commanche Iris Acres.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone!

No rain here for 5 days now! Finally got the whole yard mowed again. The weather the past few days has been delightful--highs in the low 70's, breezy and low humidity. The rainiest May on record has me way behind though.

Caught this sunrise a few days ago........

early_bloomer

This message was edited Jun 2, 2011 9:57 PM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Bernie Thanks for the new thread!

Lovely Iris!
Ours are about gone here now.
We added about a 1/2 dozen from the Spring RU.
Many of them are Dwarf Iris..... we're FINALLY learning.
We are switching most of our standard ones to containers.
They love growing in pots and after blooming we can move them out of the way to allow room for other plants.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

68°/92° Partly cloudy. Stinking hot and humid :o) Winds S at 20 to 30 mph.
Thank goodness we'll have wind!

Prissy Jo, that's what makes June worth it!

Awww, thanks :o)

Smiling, that was not a very nice May was it?

I just love close-up pictures of Sunflowers. I don't think people realize how beautiful they really are.

Awesome on the birds, especially three kinds of wrens :o)

Thanks, it's the shade that makes all the difference and we're going to need it today!

I'm glad your weather has improved. I hope it goes well for everyone else too. We've all been waiting for so long!

Pepper, that IS cool! I don't care for abstract sculpture. I want it to look like something and he does! I'd put him in my yard :o)

Howdy Early!! It's always nice to get the yard mowed. If we have rain, I mow every 4 to 5 days.

Wow, picture perfect sunrise!

Ric, my iris are a good show this year because they've been divided for three years. I really need to get on the ladder and try to get the whole bed in. 80' is a long shot, but the back is lined with Iris :o)

I adore the dwarf and intermediates! The Lilliputs from Schreiners are pretty, and scented. Win win :o)

The driveway man is coming and we can pin him down on a date to tear out the rock and pour concrete!!

The new driveway path.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Still windy. Forecast high today near 90º.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bernie, wind for us too and I'm glad for it!!

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

PrissyJo, That is one big centipede! I hope those don't come in the house!! That;s a cute sunflower! Sunflowers are able, thankfully, to take the hot dry weather better than some kinds of flowers. Around here the birds eat up the seeds before I realize it though. I should put a bag over them since I want to collect them for my parrot.

I get the "Come and Get It" at the local farm and ranch store (we used to call them feed stores but they have so much more stuff now). I have not tried to order it online.

Glad to hear your birds showed up! Hope they eat up your "bad bugs" in the garden.

What kind of okra are you growing?

Billyporter, do you discourage the grackles and starlings from nesting near your bird bath? When a flock of grackles comes around to take over the territory in the spring, I use the kind of fire crackers that make a loud "bang" to scare them off. Of course sometimes one has to get out the pellet gun to add some teeth to the bark so they will go away and not come back. They are very persistent however - but so am I since I've caught them eating other bird's babies and also getting into the chicken's food.
What kind of trees are those to the right of your driveway? Beautiful lawn you have there.

Pepper23, love that cowboy art sculpture!

Early bloomer, that sunrise is so peaceful looking - it must have been the start of a great day,

This message was edited Jun 19, 2011 1:23 PM

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

We have already lost two nests of baby robins that we could see out our windows. I bet that is what killed them because we have a lot of them. GRRRRR!

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Is it my imagination or are the grackles moving east and north. Growing up in the south, I don't remember ever seeing (or hearing) grackles. Sorry to hear you have them there Elena.

Hot with temps in the 90s, sunny and humid. There is a breeze though so that helps.

I have mushrooms growing in 2 different pots today. This one is in my rain lily pot. I need to see if I can find it in my mushroom book.

Thumbnail by pepper23

This one is growing in my boston fern.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I thank you for the sympathy, ladypearl, Even worse than those terrible birds, we are now confronted with coyotes and armadillos. Those are both new here. We just need to hang in there cause I fear that fire ants will be next. Even alligators have apparently gotten as far as Memphis. Darned if I would want to have any of my family swimming in the rivers now.

Armadillos are found clear up here sometimes. Coyotes are very common here but the alligators haven't made it this far yet. Hope they never do!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Did your hear on the news a couple of policemen killed a concrete alligator yesterday. Didn't catch where it was. The guy said he had it in his yard to keep neighborhood kids out.
They hit it twice!

Hot here today. Wind finally went down.

Supposed to be nice & sunny tomorrow. We need a nice day at market.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Concrete, Bernie?????????????? I hope the alligators stay further south but who knows? I want nothing to do with them. I didn't know that armadillos and coyotes had gotten to Missouri. Darn!

I heard about that a couple days ago. I had a good laugh out of that. lol

Coyotes have been here for a long time, might even be from here orginally, but armadillos have only been around maybe 10 years or so but are not common up here. They are more common in southern MO.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

love the cowboy. wish it was in my yard....

Jan

So do I!! lol

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

was a lovely day here!!! started a bit coolish.. but was near 74 F not bad.. and
tomorrow 80s !!!! wow.. maybe i can put my tomatoes in now.. LOL

(Zone 7a)

I out out one lone tomato plant a few weeks ago. It's looking a little sad but it has flowers on it now. I put in green onions, corn, brussels sprouts, cauliflower and a white pumpkin into my raised bed. Small yeild but going to be fun!

My weather echoes, TN's.

I found a gigantic growth on our Isis yesterday. I took her to the vet and it's been IDed as a fatty tumor. Having it removed on Wednesday.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

77°/85° Mostly cloudy this morning. Scattered thunderstorms developing this afternoon. A few storms may be severe. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Ladypearl, the neighbors have a long line of pine trees so there is no stopping them, LOL! I tend to let nature take it's course anyway. But I've never seen another bird fly over and let go with such aim. They can really put a layer in the bottom and it's terrible to clean out :o(~

Those are walnut trees. There is another to the right, and down the sidewalk. The south property line has two more young ones. The neighbors are going to take them out one of these days.

Do you have any pictures of your parrot? How long have you had one?

Elena, that is so sad! I keep hopng a robin will nest in my apple tree.

Ladypearl, we never had blackbirds nesting here before the neighbors planted the trees. They always showed up in the Spring, but now they stay :o(

Pepper, laughing, spackled mushrooms! Aren't they pretty? Is that a rain lily?

ROTFL!!! Not a one you could eat!

Elena, we have coyotes, but no one has any livestock to bother. I hear they will take dogs and cats when hungry. The armadillos are on the move just as the African Bee is. I hope none of the southern pests ever make it to zone 5!

Bernie, ROTFL!!! Twice!!

Tropical, I'll bet the tomatoes could go out.

Celia, small yield this year leads to more next year :o)

I'm glad Isis only has that, and it can be removed.

My tomatoes :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We are loaded, ready to head for market. 94 dozen eggs, lots of radishes, rhubarb, kale & onions.
Sunny & high 70's are forecast.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I forgot, also have tomato plants, cabbage, broccoli, kohlrabi & pepper plants.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Have a good day everyone. Good luck at the market Bernie. I wish I had several dozen of those good fresh eggs. Yes, those pesky critters will eat Fifi and any other little critter they can catch. Not good!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We did a little construction job yesterday.
During a break, while waiting for supplies, I got a few Butterfly shots.

Here's a Hackberry Emperor that originally landed 2' from me on a patio chair.
Hackberry's love to pop in and see what's happening.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Market today, before opening bell.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I let you all know that I won't be here cause of expire on the 10th this month so I will be happy if you want be in Facebook... If you want to get my Facebook and I will be happy to d-mail me for private...

Take care,
Anna, Rusty and JuJu is taller than Rusty's height...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Take care, Rusty. Come back if you can. I'm sure you guys in Joplin have you're hands full unfortunately. I hear mortgages on the newly unemployed can be a headache for some now, something like mortgage payments are coming due before insurance can pay in some cases. Ins. co's. are setting up temporary stands to help on that problem.
Good photo there, Bernie. That is some vegetables! I bet you see quite a few vegetarians in a farmer's market. It looks like decent weather there in Minn. Here, it is hot (high around 92° F lately every day) and humid. I bet the weather is about perfect in MN now. I went to
The House On The Rock last July in WI. and the highs were about low 80's, which was nice. Then, we started driving back to KCMO and it was getting warmer and warmer!
Will

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

66°/86° Partly to mostly cloudy skies with scattered thunderstorms mainly during the morning. A few storms may be severe. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Bernie, people are going to be glad to see you. I had a radish sandwich for supper last night :o)

Wow! The produce looks great!!

Elena, those eggs do sound good!

Ric, what beautiful detail on the Hackberry. That's the best close-up I've seen!

Anna, I'll miss you here on Dave's! JuJu really grew up and is just beautiful! I love Rusty too!

Will, can't stop the computers from kicking out those notices. It would be a real mess there. I did learn something tho. When severe weather comes around, I put my meds in my purse along with my best yard cap. If I have to run, I'm covered for a while, medically.

The driveway guy made it yesterday and stayed an hour. There was a lot of detail to go over. His brother will take up the railroad ties and rock. The rock goes to my Dad in the other end of town. At the hourly price to use the truck, short hauls are what we need! I can't wait!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Good luck on them getting it done soon. My kitchen has been torn up since February as our guy works on much bigger jobs (huge houses for very wealthy people including several country music stars) and just can't ever seem to get time to finish mine. I get fed up to the gills when I have almost anything done as nobody seems to ever think enough of our little jobs to complete them. Our carpenter came well recommended but he just never seems to think that we are important enough to complete my kitchen. Boo hoo.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

70°/94° Sunshine and clouds mixed. Hot. Winds SSW at 15 to 25 mph.

Elena, that is just wrong. Maybe I don't understand the ''code'' of these people, but you have a right to get your job done. I would be calling and pinning him dow to a date to finish. I do and don't understand the three jobs at once. It just delays everyone. And why can't they call you? We have to do all the calling when we want to know what is going on. GRRRR!

DH took the small sidewalk blocks out around the porch and gave them to my Dad. We had to keep a couple to add since the driveway will be moved over 4'. I mowed and am glad I did. We're in for a hot one today!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.