June, Headlong into SUMMER!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Today on the new tv said "There is 156 dead" in Joplin, MO...

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

63°/64° Rain showers early becoming more intermittent for the afternoon. Winds WNW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Ric, you HAVE had enough and to think I complain about a little intermittent rain.

Pepper, glad no rain for you :o)

I just love Dahlias! Those are beautiful!!

Elena, I seem to save seeds every year. I still have larkspur and a few others from a few years ago, LOL! Eventually I will sow a ditch or tree line in the hopes they will grow. So far I haven't had much luck, but I keep trying.

I buy two, maybe three plants now. I try to divide what I have or learn to plant seed. Shipping is what stopped me, but I did get a plant stand made by DH and now grow nice garden veggies and flowers to transplant :o)

Rusty, that is very sad and I am so glad you aren't counted among them.

Welcome back!

We have a better chance for rain today. I need to get out and walk before it does move in. I just got back into walking, having been to busy all Spring.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Warm, temps in the 80s. Sunny and windy.

Got the wood loade up for the trip and everything except cold stuff ready to go. Can't wait to plop myself in the river!!

Glad to see you back Rusty!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, am I dense or what?? Camping and tubing!!

60°/75° A mix of clouds and sun. Winds NNW at 10 to 15 mph.

We are finally going to warm up all week till it's HOT!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Bright sun!!
No clouds!
Busy day as we will be picking & washing for market. Lots of things ready now.
Kids Flavor Fest at market tomorrow. Nice weather, should be huge crowd.
Our first special event of the year.

(Zone 7a)

A flavor fest sounds like fun. When are we going? LOL

Hot, 80º and getting hotter. 92º yesterday.

The largest Dracuculus vulgaris, Dragon Lily opened!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

Ug.

At the moment, 5:36 pm, it's 114.6 degrees IN THE SHADE. If you step into the sun, it's fatal. The humidity is so low that it's not registering. How can it be below zero? Unbelievable. They're supposed to get a "thunderstorm" about 100 miles north of us.... That literally translates as Lightning with severely high winds.... no rainfall expected. They should call it a fire starter instead of a thunderstorm.

I left one of my sprinklers on by mistake today so I'm sure the corn is soaked, but I couldn't step outside to shut it off. The squash is devastated and dead even though I had a timer on it watering it three hours at night and three hours in the morning.

The yarrow is even turning brown. Sunflowers seem okay, and zinnias. Tomatoes and peppers are wilted.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sprinklers? What exactly are Sprinklers? LOL!
Yep we had rain again....

Well it's actually warmer now (70°) at 9:45PM than it was at noon!

Thumbnail by henryr10
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

59°/76° Partly cloudy early followed by scattered thunderstorms this afternoon. A few storms may be severe. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Bernie, I love the ''Kids Flavor Fest!" Neat idea!

Celia, LOL! Yeah, I'd like to go :o)

OH. MY! How awesome is THAT!

Oh Prissy, that sounds terrible! What a disappointment in the garden too :o(

I don't know how you can deal with the heat.

Ric, drowning isn't much better, LOL!

LOVE the mystery plant!

It was a good day with the boys yesterday. We got each of them a bouncy ball and a four pack of Play-Doh. We played with both most of the day. When it got dark, we lit all the sparklers we bought too :o) It was the first they ever had and were so excited!

Baby Oriole left the nest.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Of course it rained at the market. Not much, but it thinned the crowd.

We decided a way to stimulate the economy. Fire all the weather people. We don't need them because they are never right anyhow! Was supposed to be 80º & Sunny. It is cloudy, rainy, & 70º. How much more wrong can you be ?

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone~~

It's hard to believe, again, the flooding some of you have, the cool and rainy weather some of you have, and the drought and heat that some of us have. I think flooding would be the worst, or the tornadoes, because people are losing everything, including their lives in some cases.

My county has been officially named a disaster by the US Dept of Agriculture. But, what does that mean? I don't really think they know how to make rain clouds. One year without a drop of moisture. Does it mean they will pay the commercial farmers that couldn't grow anything? They named it a disaster area because of the drought, high winds and wildfires. But the heat itself is debilitating. It was 85 degrees this morning at 3 am. It's already 90 at 5am. Yesterday was 114.7. UV index still off the charts at 12+.

One of the worst things is the older and younger people, and the animals. The vets have reported being swamped with dogs and cats with burned paws and heat stroke and are warning people not to walk their dogs on any pavement or sidewalk. Luckily I have a fenced yard so my little guys can sneak outside and do their business on the grass. The people are experiencing dizziness, headaches and weakness before the heat strokes. I'm having to wear one of those cooling bandanas around my neck and on my forehead INSIDE even though we have central heat/air. It's the people that don't have it who are suffering the most. Some of them aren't making it, some are just suffering and doing the best they can. But when it's 114 in the shade and the dry ground is bouncing the heat back up to you, you can't get much relief. The people who have to go out in the sun are being severely warned not to. It's like stepping into an open fire.

July is our "monsoon" season. We usually get five inches of rain, used to be 10, in that month, but the drought has been going on for so long now that people say, yeah, we got 10 inches.... one drop here and one drop ten inches over here.... but this year, there's no rain at all predicted so far, just the continuing heat.

I've been out watering this morning with a flashlight. Again, I'm so surprised and grateful that we still have city water.

Our front and back screened porches were completed yesterday and they're beautiful. I haven't been able to go outside and clean them like I want to though.... maybe today.

It's harsh. The river flowing through the town is dried up. The nature preserve lake is dried up. The other lake we have is being fed by a well, pumping water in to try to keep the stocked fish alive.

Thumbnail by PrissyJo
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

That is some heat and drought there, PrissyJo. The temperature is okay here, but the flooding is pretty bad not far away. Its only 86° F here right now, according to weather.com - http://www.weather.com/weather/today/64054:4:US Eek, good thing cactuses don't need much water!

Back from float trip and had a great time!! Weather was perfect for being in the water. Hot during the day and cold at night. Late yesterday afternoon it got really hot and really humid there for awhile. The air was so still that the leaves weren't even moving. So we drove down to the river and cooled off til dark. Would have been back sooner but there were some drunk kids down there and one unclipped his keys from his shorts in the water and they floated off. We stayed and tried to help. He finally found them this morning under the truck on the beach. He got lucky.

Today was hot but not too bad. Especially when driving with the windows down!! LOL

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Glad you had a good time, Pepper.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

70°/82° Occasional thunderstorms - possibly severe during the afternoon hours. Storms may produce large hail and strong winds.
Winds WSW at 10 to 20 mph.

Bernie, I like how you would save the economy! Sorry the market got rained out.

Prissy Jo, no fun being named a disaster :o(

Wow, that paints a pretty bleak picture for animals and people. I pray you get relief. That's more than a person can take.

I think it would be cruel to not provide your town with water. I hope you get something to eat from youir garden.

Wow, someone worked on your porches in the heat? I hope you get to enjoy them one of these days.

That is one bleak picture!

Pepper, I'm glad your tubing trip was perfect!!

That kid got very lucky!!

I spent all day yesterday outside trying to get things done before it rained again. My spinach is officially over. The peas are picked and I don't care for them. I won't buy them again. Some of the pods only have one pea in them. That's a waste of shelling time!

I potted up plants for friends and the fre pile and we're crossing our fingers over getting a driveway this week or next. It just keeps raining :o(

We had big winds, plenty of lightning, loooong rumbly thunder, but not a heavy downpour. I see a few sticks and a branch in the yard, but my plants aren't flattened. I think the wind stayed high.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Strong NW wind. 75º Sunny.

We sold out even with rainy day! Could have sold a few more eggs.

Hot and humid today. Had strong storms roll thru early this morning.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

Yes the heat is a serious problem by itself. But without rain, our bushes and trees are beginning to die. We hope/pray the weather patterns do change soon.
Thankfully there is a ban on fireworks this year with a penalty of fines. It's just too easy for fires to start and get out of control.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2011 12:35 AM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

61°/80° Plentiful sunshine. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Bernie, how wonderful to sell out! People are going to have a healthy summer with all that natural food!

Pepper, we had rain early and were done!!

Ladypearl, I sure hope you don't lose anything. Last year Kentucky had a serious drought and they are getting the rain this year. Hang in there!!

The fires have amazed me. How terrible to have so much burn with out stopping.

It's gong to be cool and sunny. We haven't had much sun lately, but I need to mow already. If the driveway guys don't show up we're going for a load of mulch. The grapes are almost bare. We have the weed barrier down, so they need covered.

No name Daylily

Thumbnail by billyporter
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's the weather in Joplin, MO:

Tomorrow:
96* Real Feel 104* A thunderstorm in spots

Thursday:
101* Real Feel 111*

Friday:
97* Real Feel 101*

As today, it got cooling around 70's this morning so I did mow front and half of back yard...
Then got up to 86*...

Praying Mantis

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Decent with temps in the low 80s today and sunny. Tomorrow temps shoot up to the 90s and we will have at least 2 days in the 100s. Gonna be a scorcher!!

The town I work in is now preparing to go without water service. The wells are in the Missouri River and from what I have heard are already submerged to a point but still working. They are trying to find ways to keep them running but the options are limited. Once the pumps quit it could be anywhere from a few days to a couple months that we have no water there. Where I live and other towns around us have alternative sources of water so are ok but not Odessa. Gonna be interesting.

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

What a gorgeous daylily, billyporter! Glad the winds spared your plants.

Cute little mantis looks like it's on the hunt.

PrissyJo, you mentioned in your June 26 post that you didn't think they can make rain clouds. Well I don't know if they can make enough to help our drought situation, but check out this video about what NASA can do. I don't think it would it would be much fun to hear that loud noise, but having the clouds would be wonderful.
http://gatewaytoheaven.ning.com/video/nasa-weather-modification

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

58°/84° Abundant sunshine. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

Rusty, I am glad to be cooler this week. You are going to bake!

I mowed yesterday and am glad I did! I took a lot of breaks for popsicles and drinks.

Love the Praying Mantis picture!!

Oh Pepper, no water. That's scary! It's scarier thinking about drinking from the river. How do they ever get it clean? The town noth-west of us used to and it was clorinated so bad. They finally upgraded and are drinking groundwater now.

Ladypearl, it has been gorgeous, even tho the mosquitos and biting flies are bad. They finally drove me in last night and I had mosquito spray on. Twice!

Wow, I've never heard of that before. They've come a long way from seeding clouds. I bookmarked the link to read up on it later. Thanks!

We had a puzzler this morning.

The last two nights we've set out the live trap for what we thought were racoons leaving their piles in the yard.

This morning DH found the trap drug to the sidewalk and I noticed a lot of prints in the yard. They tried to dig under the trap, but the egg and marshmallow inside weren't disturbed. The trap was sprung. Coyote or racoon?

Thumbnail by billyporter

There is an aquafier under the river and that is where our drinking water comes from. But the wells are situated on the river itself. The Missouri is called the Big Muddy so it would be too expensive to make that water clean enough to drink. I'd be afraid to anyways. lol

HOT!! Excessive heat warnings in place til Friday night. Temps reached around 90 for a high but heat indexes were in the low 100s.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Well, it took all month but summer has arrived here in southern MN. Air conditioners are running full speed.
85º today.
95 to 100 tomorrow.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Getting cold here and raining. Temps have dropped down to 65F.
Sally, I hope they didn't ruin the lawn! Love the Baby Oriole..how sweet!
Fleabane on my field.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

68°/93° Plentiful sunshine. Hot. Winds S at 15 to 25 mph.

Pepper, I'm glad to hear about the aquifer! I can't stand the thought of drinking filthy river water.

Stay cool at work! Are the greenhouses still filled at work?

Bernie, that's summer! We gathered cool air all night and will close up soon. I'll bet we don't run the air till late this afternooon, or even tomorrow.

Adina, the lawn is fine. They only scratched a little bit.

Fleabane is pretty!

I sat up for a while watching the trap. Nothing came around. We had it staked this time. No one pooed in the yard either.

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

Hi Everybody. Still experiencing averages of 108 but it seems so cool compared to the 115! The winds are calmer.

Ok. I admit it. I did a rain dance.... and even though it wasn't forecast, I got a couple of drops on my arm, but 5 miles away, they had a downpour! Nobody could believe it. Next time I'll be more selfish and say, hey, right HERE!

Fire raging a couple of hours north is scary around Los Alamos. Still not contained. The governor said she can only ban fireworks on state property. So if any crazies try to use them around here, the rest of us will be in trouble as the houses are very close together.

LadyPearl - LOVED that video!! I also watched the original BBC version and it took billions of gallons of fuel to produce that rain cloud.... wish they had faced it our way!!!!!

I see your entire state is now a disaster area, too. Apparently it only means that commercial growers and ranchers can borrow money at lower interest rates.

Will - hope your flooding is easing off.

Pepper any word on water for Odessa?

Bernie - I'm still longing for your veggies and eggs. Will a state government shut down tomorrow have any effect on you???

Sally - Can't wait to find out if that was a coyote. They usually work in packs around here and really are very wiley. Raccoons are smart, but are they that strong? Do you have any big skunks? That daylily is so gorgeous and so is your whole yard!!!!!

Well, I'm gonna go do another dance....

Thumbnail by PrissyJo
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Beautiful roses, Prissy! Doing the rain dance for you too...I'll be happy to send some rain over to your place...it's been raining all day here...grrr!
Sally, why did you set the trap? Glad they didn't damaged the lawn.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

Adina - thank you for the dance! Glad you got your rain, I remember when you were having a drought, too. Those flowers are so pretty, I would just sit down right in the middle of them!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

They will play it to the end. 11PM tonight or later is when they will finally agree on something.
Going for near 100º today.

Hot, with temps reaching over 100 for a high today. Very humid also. Excessive heat warning still in effect. Supposed to drop down to the high 80s next week sometime.

So far there is water. They don't know when or even if they will lose service. They just check the wells everyday. RIght now it's just a waiting game.

The greenhouse has been down at work for several weeks now. We usually take it down around Father's Day, though earlier this year. All plants are finally gone!! With this heat, I'm kinda glad. lol

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

July thread;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1193706/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.