June, Headlong into SUMMER!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Eeek! You are warming up, there in IA! Here it is 75°/95° SSW 14 mph, it says all sunny here. I try only to water every 2 days, today is definitely water day! A couple plants droop after 1 day of no watering!

A radish sandwich?! I hope you had mayo on that!

I know what you mean about having to contract work, Elena. Last year we had some stuff done, a disabled ramp built, a screened in deck and a bathroom remodeled.
It all went well enuff, but some of the work seemed substandard and they'd even make they're own decisions on what to do. For example, I offered that they could put a little tearout debris in my trailer when they walked by if they wanted, they ended up filling up my trailer with nearly all the tearout, then charging us for "debris removal".
We told them about that and I think they reduced it, but they were peeved. I offered that because our city here offers free landfill drop-off for residents, but I didn't think they would fill up my trailer with 2,000 lbs. of demolition tearout trash! I just told my friend here, (the homeowner) yesterday that the main sub-contractor guy was likely smoking marijuana on his lunch break. They had to work in the house on the bathroom remodel and when he'd walk by several times I could smell it, (she was at work). The elderly gentleman that my friend contracted with is a nice guy, he may not even know that his main subcontractor was getting high on weed, then doing the work and making the man look bad. I told my friend that I felt like anonymously emailing the man and telling him, "this guy is making you look bad". Overall, they did decent work and everything turned out good enuff, except for a few bad decisions on work, and a few shoddy things. My friend was satisfied enuff with everything. I didn't want to say anything earlier that mighta stopped work and caused a big mess. My friend didn't contract with this weed smoker subcontractor guy, we'd never seen him before. I wanted to wait until the 1 year warranty was over before I told her. I know how she is, if I had told her sooner, if something went wrong, she wouldn't have had them back out to fix anything during the warranty period, she woulda been like, "I don't want them back in my house". My friends told me I should stay mum about it back then. But, I felt like it was my duty to tell her eventually.
Oh well, when work has to be done, what can you do? I like those Angieslist commercials, like the one where the guy does the work but he tracks paint all through the house!
Yeah, I'd see if they'd agree to amending the contract to finish by Jan 1st, 2012 or something. A new agreement has to be in writing, an amendment to a contract is only enforceable if it's written. In short, a verbal agreement doesn't trump an original written agreement. Everything in writing, I learned that by watching judge shows. Well, you have to do something when you're unemployed!
Will

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will, only butter goes on a radish sandwich :o)

I'm glad you caught them on the remoaval fee. We were charged fore dirt when our driveway went in. The got the dirt froma cross the road and we helped haul it over. Yes, they had to drop that charge!

Well, that odor will certainly buy you sub par work!

Laughing, you're right, ''everything in writing!"

Time to get up and get an earlier start on the day. Have a good one everyone!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Our guy called two days ago and said he would be over sometime Sat. or Sun. to look things over. Yeah Right!!!!! Surely he can remember all of the cabinet stuff showing because there are no doors and all of the stuff I have to store on the den floor because the sliding trays in the under cabinets that he built don't slide well. We were going to buy and install our own but he insisted he could do it cheaper. Yeah, but let's get the sliding. We don't have a contract and don't pay ahead of the finished job so there is nothing to call him on. Oh yes, my kitchen sink hot and cold water faucets are reversed and have been for over three months.
Hubby refinished the new fronts the guy built for the drawers and cabinets because we were afraid to trust him on that. Those and the drawers are all sitting in my den and have been for months. We begged him to finish that anyway because we are expecting out of town company for my granddaughter's wedding the 25th. There will be lots of people in and about. I know now that it will be a miracle if he does them by then. All I know to do is make sure things that show look ok, hide everything else Lord only knows where, get sick over how bad it looks and try to be good sports.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot and humid. Mid 90s for highs. Under heat advisory.

Snapdragons, dianthus, and Don Juan rose.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We had 99º according to weather channel. Maybe their thing don't go 100.

Mighty hot is all I know.

Finished a cabinet job today, then drove 150 miles round trip for oak & fir lumber.

Just home now. Going to have supper.

Elena, I think I'd casually send him emails stating deadline dates and costs etc. From what I've seen on tv, even text messages and emails that discuss the job will work in Small Claims Court if it should come to that. When its just you're word against theirs, I don't think the outcome is very good for the customer. Thats a good thing that you haven't paid a big sum in advance. Small Claims Court only costs $35 here, (depending on how you choose to have the lawsuit served, can be more). There is also a limit of $3,000 or $5,000, depending on the state. I once sued a mobile home park because they wouldn't give back my security deposit after I left, but I had to use the bathroom that morning and didn't make it to court, so I lost because of my absence. In any case, if you have to finish it yourselves, I hope he didn't mess it up for you. Reversing you're hot and cold sounds like something this guy over here would do, smoke some weed, then work on our plumbing. He got the hot and cold right but it dripped after he put in a new vanity and faucets, it didn't drip before, we found out later that he chose to omit the right washer. They say theres a small percentage of subcontractors and contractors that plain don't know what they're doing. But by and large, I'm sure they mostly know they're business and are quite good when everything is done or they don't stay in business long.

The Weather Channel says 94° F here tomorrow. The end of the week is cooling way down here, they say mid to lower 80's with chances of rain!
Colorful flowers there, Pepper.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Since we didn't do a contract with him we will just have to be patient and hope for the best. Hubby finally got him to commit to coming sometime tomorrow to start putting on the new fronts. Fingers crossed here......This guy is a neighbor and friend of a friend of ours. Our friend was a well known architect around here and we hope that if we exert a bit of pressure the contractor won't want to get in bad with us or him since our friend, his neighbor, recommended him. We have gently nagged him and don't know if it will get us anywhere. The contractor finished a BIG job today for a very wealthy family in a really ritzy area of Nashville. I can see why keeping those guys happy is important but we would like to get back to normal around here. We had discussed with him and were planning to give this guy another job renovating our main bathroom but I don't think so now. I would go mad if I had to live with a bathroom torn up for months.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I furnish a written contract to my customers. It contains exactly what I am going to give them. Then I require ½ of job amount as a down payment. I need that to buy the raw materials. Both of us sign it at the time of down payment. At completion of the job, I collect the rest of the money. This has worked for years for me & would hold up in court.

Hot here all night. We've had the air on since yesterday, so staying cool.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

76°/94° Plentiful sunshine. Hot. Winds SSW at 15 to 25 mph.

Elena, I almost think I'd try and find someone else if he won't finish. I would feel sick over all the waiting too.

Pepper, love the color combination! Is that perovskia?

Bernie, that is quite a trip!

Will, I think a lot of workers are hire-on's and most likely don't know what they are doing.

Elena, neighbor and friend does make a difference in how you ask him. We had a bad roofing guy. Since we paid half down, we had to keep him. We were happy to just get it done, but we would never have him do anything else.

Bernie, that's because you are an honest, decent person! There aren't too many craftsmen around. That's the difference between you and all the others.

We are going to steam today!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

My husband has always done everything because of the problems involved with hiring anyone we have ever hired. He has reached the age where he would really like to have someone else do it but it just isn't worth the hassle. We have added all kinds of stuff to our home over time and it is the same old story no matter who we get. The only guy who ever didn't keep us in limbo was an elderly black guy who did our brick work on an addition we built. He came and did the job and didn't hold us in limbo at all. We always get the others who get one half the money, come and work a little and then it takes an act of congress to get them back. We have gutter we can't get fixed because of the roofing folks months ago. They fixed the roof but one of the workers fell and messed the gutter up when he fell. Looks like we are going to have to sue him before it is over. That all happened because of the damage done to the roof during that first storm that got huge tree. We have converted the garage to a room, and built two additions over the years and the story is always the same around here.
You wouldn't believe how long we waited each time to get the job finished. I think I am about finished dealing with anyone even though we still need a vent fan and a wall plug plus a new sink in the bathroom. I am not going to do anything but that. Phooey on a new bathroom. I couldn't stand it. Hubby says he will wait till it is cooler and try to do the wiring. We have a son-in-law in Knoxville who might be able to help him. Concerning the sink, since the guy we are using now isn't going to do it, I am going to try to figure some way to not take out the sink but instead somehow knock out a hole in the bottom and frame and put in a pedestal sink. Then do mosaic tile around it. Anything like taking out the sink will tear up the tile on the counter and then we will have to do all new tiling in the entire bathroom. I JUST can't handle that either. This guy would probably take the rest of my life doing the job. I can't DO that.

The guy we got to do the roofing one time was a friend. He was without a job at the time and was quite eager to do it. Midway in the job, he got another job. That left my hubby to do it alone in the hundred degree temperatures of July. It almost ruined his knees carrying those shingles up the ladder. Took him several years for them to stop bothering him. He was almost 70 years old to boot. He will be 80 this September and looks like he is still the only one I can trust to do a good job.

Bernie, you must be one in a million cause we don't ever get anyone like you. I hope your customers appreciate you.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

sort of feeling like summer here..
sunday was High of yr so far 85F provo utah..
last couple days high 70s F
yesterday geesh.. had high winds 40mph..some microbursts..not in my neighbourhood though
sigh..
nites low 50sF
i see the extreme temps u all are having in other parts of the country..
it'll feel like summer left when...if when... temps go more to "normals"...

(Zone 7a)

Tropic, we had 90º on Sunday. So nice to have good weather now.

BP, your yard is looking better and better all the time!

75º here now.

Black-chinned Hummingbird from yesterday.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Hot and humid still. Hard to breathe during the heat of the day. Mornings and late afternoons aren't quite as bad.

Bp, it's probably catmint you are seeing. I have 2 plants of that in that bed. In the background I have a clematis growing on the deck.

Nicotiana and Catmint

Thumbnail by pepper23

Fortunately, Tennessee is really at the higher end I saw after I Googled the maximum settlement in Small Claims Court in TN. There are only 2 other states as high, TN's is $15,000 and in Shelby and Anderson counties there it's $25,000, the highest of all I think. I'm not trying to encourage you to get litigious on the carpenter guy, Elena. I just wanted you to know people have options when contracted work goes bad, if need be. Something else to be wary of in suing if you need to, is Statutes of Limitations on the different scenarios of damages. For example, it's 6 years for a written contract as well as for an oral contract in Tenn., but 3 years for property damage and only 1 year for personal injury.
Contractors I'm sure know just how long to put you off then it's, "do I know you?" if they answer the phone! Heres a link I found by Googling the words - small claims how much does it cost tennessee statute of limitations - http://www.smallclaims.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89&Itemid=60 I'd start with the threat of a lawsuit, they even encourage it, it's called a Demand Letter, (I don't know if you have to have had already paid for the lawsuit) from what I read those work pretty good. Remember in Small Claims it's just you, no attorney, the burden of proof is up to the plaintiff (bring lots of evidence, even the smallest thing could be important to the judge), you, don't tell the defendant (contractor) anything, what evidence you do have or don't have, let him guess up to and on court day, so he don't know what to defend against! I still can't find how much it costs, but I'm sure they'd tell you if you call you're small claims court there in you're town. I can't imagine it'd be more than $100 with all the bells and whistles on suing!
I hope it works out though and you don't need to do that, going to court looks like a pain, but money is money!

On another note, the weather here is still hot for one more day! They forecast 95°F and sunny tomorrow! It's still 81° now at 12:18 Central Time.
Will

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

Hi Everyone. We're having both of our porches screened in and it's taking forever, too, haven't seen them in a week but fortunately, we've used these guys before for many things and they always complete and do a great job.

High today 105, winds to 45, humidity 24 right now but it will drop, no doubt. Eleven months and counting of not a drop of moisture. We've now set a record from 1892 when they started keeping records. But as this picture shows, new mexico can be pretty in it's own way.

I can't complain though because we have still have city water with no restrictions so I'm eating tomatoes (I grew them out in my greenhouse and planted them about a month ago) cabbage, chinese cabbage, onions, radishes. Corn is tasseling. and everything else seems to be doing fine.

Thumbnail by PrissyJo
Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

Burgundy Plums are coming on...

Thumbnail by PrissyJo
Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks for all that great information, shortleaf. I have saved it all and if we have to sue for damages to the gutters we will know where we stand on that. Many thanks again.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Well, quite a day here in Minnesota yesterday. New record high for the day in every town. Mankato & Minneapolis, 103º. But we also had winds up to 40MPH.
My TB Iris took quite a beating. They were in full bloom & now a lot a flat on the ground.
A little damage on greenhouse plastic, but it did stay on, thank goodness.

Today we are going to plant out the remainder of the muskmelon plants, third planting of Gladiolus, take the row covers off the muskmelon & zucchini plants.
I already pruned & tied up tomatoes in the large hoophouse this morning. 5 rows in there & I do one row a day. Early morning works before it gets hot in there.

Off to the coffee shop!
Bernie

You're welcome, Elena. I think that site www.smallclaims.com might be incorrect about something, they say max 25k, unless it's changed, it's only 15k except Shelby and Anderson counties, they're 25k - http://www.creditworthy.com/3jm/articles/cw051806.html . I think I'd ask to be sure, if it affects you. I think I'd wait a year tho, in case the guy who fell off you're roof while working can sue you for his injuries.
PrissyJo, thats a nice photo of you're sunset! On the news they say now the smoke from the wildfires in Arizona makes sunsets orange in many states. They even showed the smoke on radar over Kansas. About half the state of KS. was covered in smoke and it was coming to Kansas City! Maybe thats the lower orange in you're photo, they said NM is covered.
Eeek! 103° in Minneapolis, that'd be unusual.
We have Peaches coming on the 'Red Haven' Dwarf Peach Tree. I just bought that tree last Sept. or October from Lowes.
Don't mind all that rubbish in the background of this photo, I am in the process of cleaning all that up.

edited to fix that link, it wouldn't work with that period in it, sorry : )

This message was edited Jun 8, 2011 8:20 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Still hot but the humidity is down so it actually feels kinda nice out there.

Tomorrow we hopefully start working on my truck. I have a broken arch spring in the back and we bought replacements but are trying to get the right sized bolts to fit. If they come in my brother and dad will fix it tomorrow. Will be nice to drive a truck that's whole for awhile!! lol

'Prairie Gyspy' Monarda blooming. I like this one. Not too tall so it doesn't flop over.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Temp is slowly dropping from a high of 90º today. Highs are forecast mostly in the mid- 70's for the next 10 days with scattered thunder showers here and there.
103º in Minn. the first week of June! Doesn't look like a Canadian Summer for Bernie this year!

PrissyJo.........I'm glad things are still growing well for you despite the drought.

I do everything myself too. At least if it's not done right or on time I know who to blame! :-)

Photo: My peonies are blooming their hearts out this year.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

What crazy weather we've all been having!! We are going into day 14 of temps above 90!!! This is NOT usual for us at this time of year! We also desperatley need rain!! If this is a precedence (sp?) for what's to come we are in a lotta trouble!!
I've been busy watering the garden every other day & that is going to hike up our water usage cost a lot!!! yikes!
Just celebrated my 50th birthday ( June 5th) & had a wonderful party on the 4th!! I am also celebrating my 5th year of remission from ovarian cancer too!! PRAISE GOD!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

90's here too.... for June that's about unheard of.

90s here again, with tornado watches all over the place. There was a tornado touchdown up north by Trenton, MO at point earlier. Right now just heat and clear skies here. Waiting for it to pour so I don't have to water for a few days. lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

54°/77° Scattered thunderstorms. A few storms may be severe. Storms may produce large hail and strong winds. SSE winds shifting to WNW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Wow, I can't believe how far behind I got!!

Elena, what a sad story on hiring people. DH has always done everything himself and self taught when he wasn't sure of what to do. His Dad was a big help with questions.

I would sue.

Those are all sad stories. What a shame there isn't one decent person you can hire. I don't blame you for saying ''I can't DO that.

Tropical, it's amazing to me how many times all of us are having the same weather. I think it's only going to get more erratic. Now that we have flowers and gardens, it seems all the more disappointing :o(

Thanks Celia :o) I feel good about sitting out and looking over the whole place. I survey all I own :o)

Awww, on the beautiful Black Chin! I have a Ruby Throat and he's beautiful too!

Pepper, Catmint was my second guess. I have quite a bit of it that I intended to move around while it was small. That didn't happen! The bees love it and I love that it blooms early! It sure works with almost any plant.

Will, good information, and I agree with ''they know just how long to put you off.''

It makes me tired just thinking of putting together all the proof needed, but I watch Judge Judy, so I know it's all important :o)

Prissy Jo, new porch screen, yayyy! DH does ours. It's hard to find decent screen too. A contractor might have better quality.

Wow, that is a beautiful picture! I can't believe how dry you are. You are lucky to have unlimited city water!

What a beautiful plum! Yum yum!

Bernie, that is amazing! We've hardly been in the 90's here. What IS going on with the world?

I'm so sorry about your Iris. That is a shame :o(

Will, good advice on the guy possibly suing for his injuries.

Our sunrise and sunset was an amplified orangy red yesterday.

Awesome peaches!!

Pepper, your poor truck!!

I adore Monarda! Prairie Gypsy is so pretty! Love those little mushrooms too! I just got a purple start from a friend last year and hope to see it take off pretty soon. Monarda was another thing I wanted to spread around, that didn't happen :o(

Early, the heat made my peonies drop their petals early. They sure smelled good this year tho.

Oh my, those ARE gorgeous!

Cindylove, I missed your birhday, but caught you with a belated. I'll make it official :o) Happy belated Birthday!! I'm glad it was wonderful!!

I sure hope the Southern states aren't the next desert :o(

May God continue to watch over you. Prayers will be sent for continued good health. 5 years is amazing!

Well it poured yesterday morning, rained all day, and poured and this morning. We're up to 2''. The sun is out, but boy, was it cold at 4:00 am. It's still chilly.

We watered the other day, but the seedlings needed it. We've eaten almost all the radish and are just waiting for the peas. The beans came up but I don't see any of the spinach I reseeded. Old old seed. Out it goes.

It's 7:30am and the first Grandchild is out of bed. One to go :o)

Iris Salsa Rio. Free gift from Schreiner's.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We got a little rain yesterday afternoon & evening. Didn't have a gauge out, but puddles are full. Sure made up for what the heat & wind took out Monday & Tuesday.

We are now done planting. Yesterday the winter squash was seeded. We still have open spots for cabbage, kohlrabi & beans. They all go in later to spread out the harvest. All the transplants look great. hardly lost any. Must have put in around 3000, but who's counting!

Tunnels came off the zucchini & summer squash yesterday. They were pushing against the plastic. Saw a blossom on the muskmelon, too, so those tunnels will be off shortly.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Onions & more onions.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Good morning, kitty. There are 4 of them & they decided to sleep back under all the junk.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Typical flower garden around here. Always something different blooming. Almost all perennials. DW takes care of this one.

(Zone 7a)

Quite the yield you'll have, Bernie. Cute kitty.

75º expected today. Partly cloudly with a tiny breeze.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Was supposed to be cooler today but felt hot and humid still. Got a splatter of rain this morning then it all went away.

Have lilies starting to bloom this week. Funny thing is some of my clematis are still blooming. I think that's a first for me. lol. Pics coming this weekend.

Lamium, peony and eunoumous bushes. I know I spelled that wrong. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

Here is Hereford the cat!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Yes, happy birthday cindylove. Thanks billyp, I hope I never have to sue, but at least it's there. We have a screened in deck, I think birds get in there and can't get out and fly into the screen and make like ½ inch holes in the screens for our trouble! Wow, Bernie, all those veggie rows and tunnels look like a lot of work, I'd be wore out!
Yes, that is a cute kitty there, we have one kinda similar, I call her Hereford, but I think I shoulda named her Holstein, but I think we're staying with "Hereford", at least I am, my housemate calls her "nibbler"! Here is one of my 3 Purple Prince© Lily Trees poking up!

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Up & ready to hit the market.
Thin clouds & 55º. Forecast is sunny & 70º. I hope so. That will make for a good market day.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

66°/75° Morning clouds will give way to afternoon sunshine. High around 75F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Bernie, AWESOME amount of produce! Things are looking good!
Smiling over the kittie :o)
I love petunias!

Celia, I LOVE that bloom! How beautiful! Is it a pink centaurea?

Pepper, I hope we're rained out pretty soon, altho I should have wonderful daylily blooms coming on.
I have a peony just a bit bigger than that one. They take forever to get big! LOL!
Love the lamium. It sure brightens up an area!
I have eunonymus too :o)

Will, ''Herford'' is a prettier version of my Petey :o)
The lily tip looks big and healthy! Can't wait to see them bloom!

I think our rain is done for at least today. We have had 2 1/2'' over the last couple of days. It's enough!There are a few mosquitos already :o(

My Hostas are looking good!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I hope so too Bernie!

(Zone 7a)

Yes, Sally. Centaurea cyanus. Or Centaurea Pinkyanus. LOL

Warmer today. We have some thunder and a few spots of rain last night but nothing else.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Nice day at market. Here's just before we started.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

More table.

(Zone 7a)

Looks great, Bernie. When do you harvest the green onions? I started mine a couple of weeks ago and need to know when to cut them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.