We like just about everything grilled!
(79 votes, 42%)
Red dot

We do not use a grill.
(27 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Spokane, WA(Zone 5a)

Podster, I have reused the planks but only after slipping one salmon off and putting another one on for the same meal. One time I had a plank burn through during the second filet....not a good thing. One shot is the best way to go.
Bonehead, I have used other planks from the home center. Oak is one of my favorites but expensive. I had a freind make me a couple of apple planks out of a tree he cut down. It made some of the most flavorful pork chops that I have ever consumed.
Gymgirl, dinner is the same time every night....when it's done;)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Whoa, glad I just spent the time reading this thread! I copied all the ideas/recipes that sounded good to me. Now we gotta get grillin'! We have a Weber propane and my hubster is the griller in the family. We love veggies and he has even done fruit--nectarines, pineapple, apple. Speaking of pyromaniacs, I have the genes! I remember my dad bbqing when we were little and the fun was when he'd pour the gas on the charcoal--STAND BACK EVERYONE!--and throw a lit match on it. BOOM! Dads can be so much fun... :) My brother was just telling me he loves the Big Green Egg he just got. We had another brand of gas grill before the Weber that was NOT good (Char-Br__l). And lastly, green onions are yummy grilled. Janet

Rice, MN(Zone 4a)

I grill food. if it is food of any kind, I find a way to grill it. Here in Minnesota grilling seaon is short. But I even grill in the dead of winter with snow everywhere.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

We won our gas grill from a local supermarket about seven years ago!

I love grilled food!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Janet,
I Googled the "Big Green Egg," and it looks like something that might make it to my yard, if I can find out pricing info. Where did your brother get his? There's no pricing info on the website...at least I couldn't find any...

Linda

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

Primarily use a Weber gas grill, sometimes add wood chips that have been soaked. Tonight is grilled chicken quarters, marinated and eggplant, peppers, squash and vidalia onions brushed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and kosher salt. Probably grill 2-3 nights or more a week much of the year and not as often in the winter. Only give it a break in extremely cold weather. The planked salmon sounds really good, thanks for sharing the recipe.

Yep, I'll grill just about anything! We have lots of hickory, pear and persimmon trees. I've been know to have a k' niption fit if any of the dead branches get thrown into a burn pile, instead of saved for grilling :0)

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I thought I was the only one who remembered k'niption fits!!!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Quote from flowAjen :
Looks like 15% of them too...crazy! right??? LOL

maybe they live in an apartment

A life status of living in an apartment shouldn't stop anybody. Most complexes have community grills even if you don't have your own.

The only thing I can think of as a legitimate stopper of grilling is temperatures below the boiling point of propane, −44 °F.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL ~ growing up in MN, we have actually seen that -44°. Left for the balmy south shortly after that.

I wonder how pecan wood would work for "planked catfish" ? Hmmmm ~ could have a new redneck delicacy.

Anyone remember the little cast iron hibachis of the l960s and 70s? They cooked some of the best food.

Remember? I still have mine. Never letting it go. lol

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Quote from dparsons01 :

A life status of living in an apartment shouldn't stop anybody. Most complexes have community grills even if you don't have your own.

The only thing I can think of as a legitimate stopper of grilling is temperatures below the boiling point of propane, −44 °F.

Charcoal is not dependent upon a boiling point to work. If it is too cold to use charcoal starter, a pinecone loaded with wax works well to get the charcoal going. If it is too cold for a lighter, there are always good old fashioned matches...

This message was edited May 26, 2011 7:54 PM

Dallas, TX

We have a cheap propane grill which has almost flat worn out after 4 years, should have gotten stainless steel, have a big charcoal grill and an old round, vertical smoker my neighbor was putting out to the garbage because it had a little rust. At least once a week I grill anything and everything!
The charcoal chimney starter is wonderful for starting the charcoal and never, never use starter fluid or the fluid infused briquets, they give off a terrible odor and it effects the food.
I do worry about the smoke the charcoal makes all over the neighborhood so I use the propane grill a lot.
The smoker makes the most wonderful smoked chicken or tukey, it's a lot of work but worth it.
It's best to always marinate the meat for sure and there are so many ways to do it.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm asking my brother about the Big Green Egg. I'll post when I find out!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Here's their web site, you can type in your zip code to find a local dealer:

http://www.biggreenegg.com

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

When I still ate meat (before I changed to a heart-healthy regimen), I used to marinate lean ground lamb patties and grill them. Toward the end, I put a dollop of goat milk cheese on each pattie. I served them with strawberries and fresh mint on the side...and veggie of choice for that day. I really stick with my healthful regimen, but I give myself a treat now and then so I don't feel deprived. An occasional splurge of sinfully good eating isn't fatal! My next treat is going to be these lamb patties!

Melody, I'm going to do your new potatoes on the grill. They sound wonderful!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Oh my! Such wonderful ideas. I'm an old country woman. My pride and joy is starting campfires in all kinds of conditions with matches and what ever is at hand. Also make my own charcoal. My usual is hickory which i've not heard mentioned. A little green hickory is best.I love coffee made over coals and bacon and eggs, soup,beans.
My b-b-q is super old fashioned. LOL
Vickie

Middleburgh, NY

We live in the northern Catskills of NY state and my DH grills year round (untreated charcoal using a chimney starter). He will shovel a path through the snow to get to the grill/smoker. One of our favorite desserts is fresh peach halves on the grill. Slice the peach in half, take out the stone, add a little bit of butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Mmmmmmm...

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Love reading everyones grilling ideas!

We use a (cheap $39) charcoal grill all year round. I don't know why more people around here don't...weather is quite do-able and we think grilling adds a bright and fun aspect to dreary winter evenings. Must have a nice hot toddy or glass of wine along with it, though!

Some favorites:

Riblet lamb chops w/rosemary, sea salt and cracked pepper. (New Year's eve)
Bone in pork chops grilled with some apple wood chips w/dijon and honey (yum)
Salmon brined with a soy honey pepper dill herb solution and slow smoked (Christmas treat)

We too grill all kinds of veggies along with our meats. Lately we bought a large bag of Vidalia onions from Costco and then sliced and slow grilled them 'til soft and yummy and flavored them with sea salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar thyme and other herbs. We keep them refrigerated in tupperware with a little olive oil to preserve. Use them as we need them for omelettes, pizza toppings, bruchetta, salads, sandwiches, etc.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

We grill as often and as much as we can year round too....meat & veggies!! Nothing flavors food like good ole charcoal......using a gas grill is not really grilling in our book!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Last night we made pita breads stuffed with pesto and cheese and cooked them on the grill. Then we cut them in half and tucked falafel and baby lettuce in with the hot pesto and cheese. It made a tasty and filling non-meat dinner from the grill. Even though we love hamburgers too we try to cut back on the meat now and then for health reasons.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

A favorite here is Chipotle chicken with mango. Chicken marinated in a little Italian dressing and chipotle with minced garlic and thick slices of mango brushed lightly with Italian dressing. we also add slices of Vidalia Onion when available. We do Tuna steaks the same way and when we can find it fresh, swordfish. Add a few grilled peppers, banana and green chilies, for a nice boost.

Ribs with a raspberry sweet and sour sauce we found at a local market today!

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

I had to vote "we do not grill" as there wasn't a "we grill only once in a great while". I have a couple of the old-fashioned cast iron hibachis that somebody mentioned earlier (found them at the Vermont Country Store -- couldn't stand all those cheap, last for one season, sheet metal things you find these days)

Even though I'd like to avoid heating up my kitchen on those oppressive summer nights, we get home from work so late that it just isn't worth it to try to get the charcoal going and cook stuff outside. I end up having to set things up on our back stoop so I can get some light and I'm battling mosquitoes the whole time I'm out there cooking.

I just saw those Hibachis in the VCS catalogue. Cool to see they are still around.

We don't grill every evening here but on the weekend will cook a large amount of meats. I freeze them and then we can enjoy a quick but tasty meal in the evening after work without the heat or mess in the kitchen.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

On the grill tonight: marinated pork chops, corn on the cob, and new potatoes with onions, in a foil packet. I've decided that grilling is my absolute favorite way to prepare asparagus, too!

Plum Branch, SC

Scampi from the grill with lots of butter and garlic. Our most favorite is shish-kebob, this can be a catch all that you can use to clean out meat products from your freezer . We use nearly everything that is meat and coming up with different combinations is always fun. The only thing I have never cooked on the grill is liver, what a revolting thought.

LOL on liver and beans don't grill well... they keep falling thru the grates! 8 0

Spokane, WA(Zone 5a)

Grilled last night:
Ribeye with mushrooms and onions
Asparagus
Sweet potatoes

Not grilled:
Garden salad
Gordon Brothers 2007 Merlot
Fresh rhubarb coffee cake

Thumbnail by DougBert

When we grill we do a whole bunch of things at one time so we just have warm it up and fix sides. Yesterday he cooked, ribs, hot dogs(regular & foot longs!), skirt steak & t-bones. So we are good for 3 for days now of little cooking!

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5a)

my local ACE hardware store sells the big green egg. the price is too high for me so i dont remember what it was lol. but the bbqu guy on my local public tv station swears by them.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, my brother says he thinks it was around $600! Not the huge one, either. He got his at a place in Lafayette, LA.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.