We like just about everything grilled!
(79 votes, 42%)
Red dot

We do not use a grill.
(27 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Caesar chicken, pork ribs, steaks, burgers, brat, dogs - if it's meat - its on the grill this time of year.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Parboil the brats in beer then charcoal grill them and serve with Plochman's mustard on grilled onion rolls!

Charcoal grill the leanest ground beef available with lots of black pepper and serve with a pile of burnt onions on grilled onion rolls! Add Plochman's mustard and Del Monte chili sauce if desired...

Charcoal grill baby back ribs with the homemade sauce of your choice. If you cut up the ribs before grilling, they all get lots of sauce, get great blackened crispy meat, and when done they're easier and faster to eat with less mess!

Charcoal grill homemade hot wings of your choice.

Serve all of the above with lots of olives, pickles, fresh strawberries, and fresh pineapple.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I like to grill just about everything. My problem is right now I don't have a grill. Its on the list of things I need to set up my new home here in Kentucky.

Traverse City, MI(Zone 6a)

I just love beer can chickens done on the grill with one of those little smoke cans stuck down in the gas grill for a little more flavor. Right now my poor grill is in need of replacement parts, but I wish I could just replace it with a nice charcoal grill.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

We have 3 grills (1 gas and 2 charcoal) and a smoker. If you can eat it, I'll try to grill it.

New potatoes, and shallots with fresh rosemary and lemon thyme...a generous chunk of butter (not margarine) fresh ground sea salt and pepper. Fold into foil packets and put on the grill for 30 minutes....yum!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

One year, my sister and I wound up homeless from August to Jan. It is a long story and I won't go into it, but we sure got our eyes opened. Anyway we spent Thanksgiving camped out and grilled our turkey over a wood fire. Best darn turkey I've ever had.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Usually steak or fish and chile peppers

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Love anything that can be grilled or cooked over a campfire, Ever cook a pot of ordinary beans over a campfire? A culinary(SP) delight!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Veggie burgers!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

WUVIE, I would love to have a receipe for veggie burgers.
Vickie

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Steaks, burgers, dogs, brats.

Whole onions in foil, with butter and parmasan cheese, potato chunks in foil with butter, onions and parmasan cheese.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

just did salmon, with cajun spices, onions, tomatoes, laced with lemon.. mmmm, dh tried hamburgers with cut up minced bacon, also mmmm, love potatoes on the grill.. now I am hungry!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

If it's not a monsoon or a blizzard we're grilling...everything tastes better when bbqed

Pretoria, South Africa

I agree, flowAjen. We love to bbq or "braai" as we call it. I even did our Christmas chicken and leg of lam on it, using a rotisserie. Was delicious!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Everythang's better when grilled in Texas... 8 )
At least we can grill year around here.

DH doesn't like the 'taste' of meats cooked on gas grills (huh?)
but seeing as he does the cooking I won't argue.
It just takes too long to use charcoal on a workday so we like to
cook extra meats and freeze them.
Then food is grilled, quick and tasty when we get in from work.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I remember charcoal grilling steaks for my Dad's birthday in February... in Minnesota!!!

We charcoal grilled for 10 days because we had no electricity after an ice storm in Missouri. It was either December or January. The snow, ice, and cold air kept all the food from spoiling.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Ahhh yes, the 2009 ice storm. We were out of power 9 days here in KY. Buffalo steaks and veggies on the grill. Jan 25th through the first week of Feb.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Minnie is right but for us it is a year round cooking method. DH loves to grill and I love not having to worry with cooking everything.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I voted all, but sockeye salmon over briquettes with some alder (leaves & twigs) added for smoke can't be beat.

I agree with Podster's husband that briquettes give a more flavorful finish. But we have both, as gas grilling is more convenient and less bone-chilling in winter.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, ya'll,
I just got my backyard edible landscape design, which includes a GRILL! So, please tell me the pros and cons of propane, gas, and charcoal. I picked up from some of the above posts that charcoal takes longer, and doesn't send enough heat in the winter? What about propane? What's that all about? Or, is propane/gas one and the same thing?

Also, are ya'll using high-end, polished, industrial, "won't-ever-rust-and-is-shiney-as-the-sun" grills, or simple "put-the-briquettes-in-and-close-the-lid" models?

Podster,
Sounds like you cook extra when you do grill, then package & freeze, and simply thaw and reheat on the grill when you're ready?

Thanks!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

We have 2 big Webber charcoal kettles and always cook extra. (most everything freezes great and tastes fresh-grilled when thawed) No need to reheat on the grill...just nuke it in the microwave for a minute or two.

We rarely use the gas grill (propane)...10 years old and just a black, run of the mill cooker with two levels (I don't particularly like it, but we fire it up when we have a bunch to feed.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

We have a piped in natural gas Ducane grill on our deck, 1 small and 1 medium Weber for charcoal for camping, a smoker and a large charcoal(don't remember which brand) we used to have a propane.

Propane I feel is a pain because you have to keep getting new tanks. Can't beat the flavor on a charcoal grill. The gas is quick and easy for fast dinners burgers, hot dogs, etc

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I'm getting a picture, here. Thanks a bunch, guys!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5a)

Cedar planked salmon at least once a month....all year long.

Uh, you can't go throwing that out without a recipe....♥

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Grill or smoke almost anything! Surprised no one mentioned grilling fresh veggies like squash, peppers, asparagus, etc.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Bul goki, and eggplants for baba ghanoush, and asparagus, and the occasional trout, and huli-huli chicken! Most of them on charcoal but sometimes on the gas grill if we haven't planned far enough ahead. In the winter I cold-smoke cheese and almonds in the charcoal bbq.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Every September, I smoke a log of bologna to take to the annual Kentucky Roundup..it has become an expected treat that many have come to expect. It wouldn't be a Roundup without the smoked baloney!

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Last year I invested in one of those chimney starters, and I have coals ready in 20 minutes or less. You stuff the bottom with newspaper, and fill the top with as much charcoal as you need, light the paper and whoosh, it's dynamite for starting your grill. You could probably make one out of a 3 lb. coffee can, but this has a handle!

We had gas, and I didn't like it at all. My Weber is probably thirty years old, have replaced the grill part but the rest of it is original. It has a removable aluminum ash catcher which is sadly bent out of shape but I can't find a replacement!! I won't grill outside in winter. Nope. Not me. But I will grill anything that doesn't move.

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

I have a little propane grill, a nice sized ducane which is natural gas and a weber charcoal kettle. I use the little propane grill because the gas company told me my connection for the big grill wasn't code. Have to run some black gas pipe.

Sliced sweet potato/yam rounds, (use a serrated knife to cut!) slathered in olive oil, a little salt & pepper with taragon. Yum!

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Hamburgers and the like, mostly, but it sure came in handy for heating water when the storm took away our power for a week. We also cooked meals of all kinds on it. Luciee {;^)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5a)

Recipe from an earlier request.

Cedar Planked Salmon
By Dougbert

Ingredients
Spice Rub:
2 T granulated garlic
2 T granulated onion
1 T cayenne pepper
½ T white pepper
1 T black pepper
4 T salt
4 T paprika
3 T brown sugar
1 T kosher salt
1 T dark roast coffee (finely ground)

Optional Rub Ingredients:
1 T seafood seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
1 T cup ground turmeric
1 T curry powder
1 T ground cumin

1 Cedar plank soaked in water for at least 2 hours. Oddly enough wood floats, but a brick on top of the wood placed in a cooler doesn't float. (hint hint) Planks purchased from the local store are usually 6 inches by 18 inches. I make my own planks by buying UNTREATED 1'x6' by 8 foot long cedar planks at the lumber yard. Again UNTREATED!!! I cut them to the desired length when I needed.
1 wild salmon fillet (Farmed is OK but wild is best) I use a salmon that will almost cover the whole board.

Directions
Thoroughly mix all of the rub ingredients in a glass bowl and set aside. (The unused portion can be sealed in a jar for future use.)

Place the pre-soaked cedar plank on a cookie sheet or in a jelly roll pan. Season one side of the plank with 2 tablespoons of the rub. Place the salmon on the plank and cover the salmon liberally with the spice on both sides. Cover and let it rest on the counter while the grill gets screaming hot.

Heat the grill to high. I prefer the smokey flavor from charcoal but use gas if desired.

Put the salmon plank on the grill over the very hot fire and cover the grill and cook for about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the cover from the grill to check the salmon. I really don't worry if the plank flames up but be aware that it might. Test the salmon buy pressing it with a finger. When done the thickest part of the salmon will feel firm and potentially flake. I rarely cook this for more than 15 minutes. (The salmon would have to be extremely thick to take more than 15 minutes on a very hot flame.)

Remove the salmon plank from the grill, I use two tongs, place the plank and salmon back onto that cookie sheet or jelly role pan, and loosely cover with foil. Remember that plank is still on fire. I take it into the house anyway but I live on the edge....especially if there is snow on the ground. Allow the salmon to rest for 2 to 3 minutes. After the rest period and a glass of wine, did I mention wine?....for you not the salmon. Slide the salmon onto a platter or just serve it right off the plank. It makes a beautiful center piece....just like a turkey on Thanksgiving.

Accompany with a spinach and greens salad, from your garden of course!
Serve with a nice Washington state Merlot or Cabernet.
This will make your belly go yump, yump, yump.

This is in my cookbook and will be published down the road,,,,,if I ever finish it.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5a)

we make the most yummy k-bobs in the world! my kids call them 'moms famous k-bobs' lol. anything and everything goes on them, the key is the cut of meat you use, i always use fresh ribeys from my butcher, not the grocer, they use preservatives etc. my butcher kills, cuts and sells in the same store so all my meat is fresh, no additives/preservatives, but it goes bad fast too so make sure you freeze or use immediatly! anyway, we use fresh cut inch thick ribeys, cube them and marinate, cut all kinds of veggies and marinate them as well, (idk if this does any good but they taste AWESOME!) even some pineapple or other fruit, then just slide em on the stick and grill! easy, good for you, and fun to eat, whats better? i also like to grill corn on the cob for my side and then i make something like chocolate mint banana bread for desert (the chocolate mint part is fresh sprigs from my chocolate mint plant!)...if i had an overhang on my patio, i guarantee we would grill every night for dinner!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

We use our grill year around, but we were too, too cold to go outside to grill during the 09 ice storm. We were w/o heat 5 days and could not get out of our house due to thick ice on a sloping driveway we had to back out of up hill. We used a Coleman gas stove one uses for camping.
We love to grill salmon on a cedar plank. I don't think it can be beat. Even those that don't like salmon, would like it prepared this way. I am leery of the farm raised salmon, however.
Let's have barbecue tonight!

Uh, what time, so I can get my ticket?

DougBert
Thanks for the recipe! Will be trying this soon as I decide on a charcoal grill for my yard! ^^_^^

Linda

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

There are people in the world that don't use a grill?!!?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looks like 15% of them too...crazy! right??? LOL

maybe they live in an apartment

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Has anyone ever tried using alder as a plank for salmon? Just wondering as the twigs/leaves add such a nice flavor, maybe a soaked alder plank would be equally delicious. We have an unending supply of alder - I think I'll experiment with splits.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I get my cedar planks at Lowe's : so much cheaper that at my local grocer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.