new thread #97

Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

Sweet Monstera Gagirl!

Blackshear, GA

Lin,
Here is a yellow one. This bloomed last year, so far, it hasn'e bloomed, but I did lose one to the cold and I guarantee it will probably be that one. Waaa!!

The tag said it was 'alba'

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Beautiful!

You guys have some unbelieveable flowering plants!

Thumbnail by homer1958
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey all - been away for 10 days, so just caught up with all of you. Wanted to show a pic of the great wheeled plant stand I got at IKEA a couple of weeks ago. I have lots of big plants in pots and need to be able to move them to clean etc.

It has stainless steel top and really good little nylon wheels instead of those silly plastic casters that rust out so fast in this climate. Not expensive either! Next post will show the wheels.

(pretty proud of my plume of phaels blooming there, too)

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

underside of my stainless plant stand. My dh, the engineer, was impressed with how sturdy it is. He has been building them for me up to now.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Came home to a lot of things in bloom that weren't when I left.

Gerberas - I like the shaggy petals on this one.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

My favorite amaryllis

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy, Those are really nice! What would you say is he weight of your heaviest plant on it?

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Homer, I haven't really tested it yet.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

This delicate little volunteer plant is spreading slowly as a sort of groundcover in one section of my garden. The flowers are just over an inch long, and the leaves are maybe 2 inches, and shiny. Anybody know what this is?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Cool little Canna, only about 18" tall, yellow with subtle little pink leopard spots on the petals.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Homer, I just went out and stood on the plant stand - it did not groan or dent, and still rolled fine. I weigh, ahhh, well over 150lb.

I checked their website, but IKEA doesn't give a weight limit for it. They also don't sell them online, you have to go to a store to get them. Darn, I want more, but the closest store to me is up in Tampa.

(Zone 1)

dyzzy: Love that stainless plant caddy! We don't have an IKEA over here either, nearest one is Orlando. :(
I've thought about trying to find some stainless steel casters and having my husband make me a few caddies out of pressure treated pine. Those durn plastic casters don't hold up long at all ... always falling apart and stopping rolling!

Love that Gerbera in your photo. I have a couple but not with the shaggy petals and that one is so pretty. The Amaryllis is absolutely gorgeous! Oooh, is that a dwarf Canna ... really nice! I like the looks of your little unknown plant ... don't know what it is though. I can't see the foliage clearly but those blooms remind me of Achimenes: http://www.gesneriads.ca/achime60.htm

Red Oak, TX

Hello Everyone! I feel real lucky to get to leave my GH's open for the next three nights, it will be in the 60's. YEA

pantladylin, you made me smile after reading your comment regarding the little Philo. popping up amidst the weeds. Your weeds are some of my prized plants.
I enjoyed the photo tour of your yard. It is good to know that the Brunfelsia can take the cold weather. I checked my pots with bulbs today and everything in pots above the ground are goners.

Sanchezia

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

mjsponies, I am retired, so I have all the time in the world to putter in the garden. That's OK with the Amaryllis you planted late, you will have a extended blooming time.
Did your staghorn fern survive the winter?

Homer1958, thanks for starting the new thread!
Those were very nice shots of your yard, the dogwood and maples gave it color.
That is a nice Alocaia Tigrina, keep kitty away from it. lol

Philo.Warscewiczii

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Joeswife, your special MG seeds are special indeed, I could not believe the size of this bloom. Thank you!!
I hope that you are feeling much better today.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

GAGirl1066, I have been missing your pictures. The first nuns orchid picture is a winner. I have not seen that one before.
You and mjsponies are so good at growing orchids, maybe I am not all that bad, I found one alive this morning.lol

This shooting star Hoya has over 18 blooms on it, but it is so gangly, I could not get a good picture of them all.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

dyz, good to have you back! Thanks for the heads-up on the plant stand, I like the stainless steel look as well.
I bet it was fun walking round the yard and finding all those blooms, the shaggy Gerbras are too cool.

Hoyas

Thumbnail by prita
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Costco had a similar rolling plant stand but I do not remember if it had wheels or casters. I think the price was $19.95 but I am not positive on that either. I have a lot of very heavy large ceramic pots and we were worried about how much it could hold. I never thought to stand on it myself. Good idea!

(Zone 1)

We don't have Costco near us either, nearest one is in Orlando, which is @ 50 or so miles away . We do have Sams and I always have my husband pick up the huge bags of MG potting soil for me when they have it, but they don't carry anything else garden/plant related.

Hoya carnosa 'Chelsea':

Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

Phaius tankervilliae (Nun's Orchid) in different light:

(Zone 1)

Pilea 'Moon Valley':

(Zone 1)

"Banana Shrub" - Michelia figo:

(Zone 1)

^_^

Brown Thrasher that I spotted perched on the fence when I was in the backyard yesterday:

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Linda, I got a start of Michela from a wonderful DG'er this past fall, but it appears to be dead - will have to wait and see.

Thanks for the new thread Homer and nice A. tigrina.

Rita, beautiful Philo. warscewiczii and Hoya blooms and I am glad that you are going to grow another C. jonstonii. I know you will have yours thriving in a very short period of time and I will enjoy sharing tips concerning it.

Lin, pretty Clematis. They do not do well here in full sun either and I amazed that you can grow one at all in your part of Florida. Kuddos to you on that;) I've always been told they do best with their feet in the shade and head in part sun. LOL, but I guess it's true.

Rachel, Rita.... You guys know where to get C. Merkusii? I'd pay good money for one of those badboys.

I've not viewed one for sale via the net Homer and I've not asked around but it may be worth contacting either LariAnn or Brian to see if they know.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Think I'm going to start looking for some of those gorgeous Nun's Orchids. My kids bought me the first orchid plant last year for my b'day and, well, now I'm hooked since the white Phael has re-bloomed so exuberantly. I have a dendrobium that is sitting and sulking, and another phael with variegated foliage that has not re-bloomed but looks pretty healthy. Here it is:

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Close-up of my blooming orchid. Looks a lot like the one GAgirl posted earlier. My two flower scapes have 26 flowers blooming.

The variegated one has had exactly the same treatment as this one, i.e. they have literally been side by side for a year. It'sgot nice shiny leaves, a new one coming but is showing no sign of a flower scape. Maybe if I go set it in the mango tree and ignore it for a couple of months it will surprise me?? Anybody got a better idea? I am an orchid ignoramus.

Must admit, the best part of being away for 10 days is coming home to a cat who missed me, and lots of new flowers in the garden.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Beautiful displays of all your beautiful plants everyone. I sure do enjoy looking at them.
I untangled the viines and chalice vine cutting that was four foot tall and rooted, it broke in half when I tried to untangle it, so the rooted part is going to florida, and I guess I will re-root the other half. I am glad you like those blooms, Rita, the more sun they get, the bigger the blooms. I have lots of seeds from that one if anyone here wants any. The leaves are so pretty on that varigated Phael. I still have not given in to an orchid yet. Is finally warm enough at night to move things out. Spent all evening moving tons of cups of baby zinnias, salvias, and ageratums to the outside, so that I can re-do the Basement Garden again, I also planted a bunch more seeds, as if I don't have enough going already.. going to be almost 90 saturday, and I will be at an Arboreatum south of Town about 20 miles for their event, I have always wanted to go to that one it is really old and one of the Dixie Chick gals bought it.. I am anxious to see what is growing there..

Ardesia and I are looking for PINK Jatropha integerrima - does anyone have this for trade?

aeae 4-7-11; This girl is ready for the real world outside again!

Thumbnail by homer1958

Homer, you keep posting pics of plants that my head says I must have, but my wallet says 'I don't think so'!

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

dyzzypyxxy - I LOVE your variegated Phal. I see a tag in the pot, what's it's name?
I feed my orchids Everybloom Orchid Bloom Booster 11-35-15 half strength just before and during bloom season. I foliar feed mine with a fine spray mister. Rarely do I actually 'water" them. Just mist the potting medium I use a charcoal/small lava rock mix.

Rita -
Staghorn is doing great, putting out tons of new growth. It is toooo big to move inside so we cover it with Horse Blankets. I have several old ones that are really heavy, we layer fleece blankets under those when it get's cold.
Your box should be there tomorrow.

homer - WOW...lol....yup, better put her outside before she eats your house !

GAgirl - I keep telling myself NO MORE ORCHIDS, but between your Yellow, dyzzy's variegated Phal, and Lin's Nun Orchid, I think I'm in trouble.

I've been planting out seedlings and cuttings that I overwintered and cleaning the greenhouse in between the work with the horses. More fun than cleaning the people house !

My neighbor brought me this little cutting of a variegated Hoya. It's even got tiny buds on it, I hope they don't drop off..
I have no idea what it is. Sorry about the fuzzy pic...

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Homer, lovely varigated naner.. and gee MJ, You sure do have great luck with getting things to bloom!

Debra - check your d-mail !!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.