new thread #97

Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

Welcome fellow tropical lovers;feel free to add pictures and gardens of the tropical nature!

(Zone 1)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1167323/

Philadelphus inodorus, "Scentless Mock Orange":

Thumbnail by plantladylin
(Zone 1)

Thanks for the new thread Homer!

Lost the label for this Orchid so I don't know the name but it sure is a pretty little thing:

(Zone 1)

Clematis 'Nelly Moser' ...

Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

plantladylin,

I am sorry that was a joke about the plant in the previous post with the "Sharp Arrowhead" type point of a leave,... it is actually an Alocasia Tigrina Superba.

We have three kitties and it is a constant battle to keep them at bay!
I was crushed when I dropped the A.Wentii!!!!!!

(Zone 1)

LOL, ya got me because I had no idea. ^_^ Well, Alocasia Tigrina superba is very nice ... and I like the sharp arrowhead type leaves.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Lin,
I've been wondering about growing Clematis here. Nelly is 'VELLY NICE"...........Sigh, another one for my want list. Does she need afternoon shade here?

(Zone 1)

MJ: That Clematis was a gift from my sister in 2008 ... it hasn't done much until this year. It had a couple of blooms last spring but they didn't last long. I figured it had died but here it is back again. I planted it at the base of a large Schefflera that I'm hoping is now totally dead. It's on the SW side of the house which gets a lot of sun but the late afternoon sun is filtered by trees in my neighbors backyard. I planted another Clematis (can't remember which one) in 2008 also, to climb a post that some birdhouses are mounted on on the south side of the house. That one has not done anything ... it grows only to about 10" tall and I think it had one bloom last year. I don't know a thing about Clematis but I'm assuming they just don't like the heat and humidity down here? I read that they need mulch to keep their roots cool and the area where mine is planted has a couple of inches of cypress mulch. I've seen some fabulous Clematis up north and always wished I could grow them like that! I just decided to google "Clematis for Central Florida gardens" and this came up:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/flgard/msg0300201018345.html

and this thread right here on DG:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/845442/#post_5033809

(Zone 1)

Yippee, I didn't have to cook dinner tonight ... hubby had a faculty meeting and they were feeding them, so I just made myself a little microwave pizza and then went out and took a few more pic's.

"Million Hearts" - Dischidia ruscifolia:

(Zone 1)

Aglaonema:

(Zone 1)

This is a Dracaena marginata that got hit hard by freezes this winter and last. I chopped off one stem and need to prune a couple more so it will fill out and not look so ratty.

(Zone 1)

Red Star Cordyline and Amaryllis:

(Zone 1)

Hoya australis is usually a winter bloomer for me, so I was surprised to see a couple of little blooms at this time of year.

Hoya australis ssp. tenuipes:

(Zone 1)

I thought a Monstera that was dumped behind the shed last year had died with our freezes over the winter but there are a couple of little leaves popping up amidst the weeds:

(Zone 1)

This Cordyline is kinda ratty because it's been sitting out under a tree in the corner of the backyard and hasn't been taken care of. I'm surprised it survived the winter too, but my DH did cover it along with some other plants because we just couldn't find room inside for them.

(Zone 1)

Callisia fragrans:

Blackshear, GA

Hello everyone,
Had to share some pics. I got this one this weekend. I LOVE it. I think its called 'Stars and Stripes" I ordered it twice from Logees, but they died 2 days after I got them. Found this one at a local nursery.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

OK, that's one I NEED, GAgirl!!!

Blackshear, GA

Mandevilla , BTW

close up

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

lol Kay, isn't it beautiful!!?

got this one too this weekend

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

orchids blooming...unusual color for phal

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

another

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

another phal...so soft looking

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

and another one

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

dendrobium

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

nun;s orchids are blooming

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

I think this one is different

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

varigated bougie

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

bromeliad

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

persian shield is really growing

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

some of my babies I have moved out

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

I am SO excited! My YTT is blooming. I can not believe the cold did not wipe it out.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

Huge monstera...leaves are over 24 in. long

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

front flower bed

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

last one for now....yellow crown of thorns

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

Oh, dear, GAgirl - I don't have a yellow crown of thorns, either - another 'need'!

(Zone 1)

GAgirl: Wow, the Mandevilla Stars & Stripes is really beautiful! I found the listing for it in Plant Files: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/185960/ Your orchids are outstanding! If I had a greenhouse I think it would be full of orchids! Love that first Nun's Orchid! The second looks like mine (Phaius tankervilliae) but I don't know which the other is ... really pretty! Ok, please tell this old gal, what plant is the YTT in your photo here?: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8474518

Linda, it's Brunfelsia aka yesterday, today and tomorrow, named such because the blooms change from dark purple to white in three days - it is OH SO FRAGRANT, too! I have an 8' shrub of this in my yard and it perfumes the whole block!!! This is a dwarf Brunfelsia, also in my yard.

Thumbnail by KayJones
(Zone 1)

Ok, LOL ... I didn't recognize the "YTT". I have a Brunfelsia plant and I must confess ... it was one of the plants that never got planted in the ground. I really do have good intentions when I buy plants ... it's just that I have a short attention span and get sidetracked easily. Anyhow, my Brunsfelsia has been sitting in a pot behind the shed (my graveyard of sorts for neglected plants.) It's been quite root bound now for about 4 years and I thought it too was a goner from the cold, but there is new growth sprouting. I need to get inspired and get off my behind and get a couple of things in the ground! ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.