cottage garden or too haphazard?

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I don't know if the drought has an affect on JBs. Last year we had a terrible summer drought, and that was actually the first year I ever had them show up! And I've been here 14 years now. Maybe the drought made them migrate to my yard....
If you continue to have success, I'll have to try those nematodes. Aren't they worms? What kind?

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

museumgirl,let your HH go to seed and save some,before you cut them down,I love that color too.neematodes are microscopic.

my petunias have gone wild...i wayy over planted ..but it was soo cold an wet,my petunias were eennie for ever..makin up for it now..next year im planting only a few waves no cascading...that grow up not down...LOL

Athens, PA

The nematodes are microscopic. They come in a powder and you use them in a sprayer attachement with your garden hose. The water helps to disperse the nematodes.

What I really liked was I was able to see my roses open.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I will be saving seed from the Hollyhocks, they were so pretty this year. The seed was from Vermont Wildflower farm, but I don't remember what variety. Send me D-Mail with your address if you want some. They aren't quite ready yet, but should be soon.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have been enjoying the pictures of the pretty gardens. Nice job to everyone! Huggergirl: I understand the blue flowers in the May 6th picture are Columbines? Could you please tell me what kind of Columbines they are? From my research, I believe they are Aquilegia vulgaris 'Blue Tower' or Aquilegia vulgaris 'Tower Barlow'?? I am surprised the Aquilegia was blooming with marigolds. I thought Auilegia grew in shade and marigolds bloomed in sun.
Also, you have a picture on July 15th that shows blue flowers. It seems late in the year for Larkspur to be blooming in July.

Everyone's gardens are quite beautiful. Thanks to all for posting your pretty gardens.

I am trying to figure out what seeds to order for winter sowing. I am mostly going to sow perennials. I have much better luck with them.

birder17,I dont know what Columbine it is for sure,Im thinking Blue Tower.Barlow I think are smaller blooms. (maybe ?) I gathered seed from a clients garden. I love them I wish I had as much luck with other varitities,these have naturalized,I help them a little. I always plant Marigolds wherever ,those ended up being buried under Malva,Larkspur,salvia....LOL..Thats a good question on the Larkspur`s this was a great year for them . They seemed to just just keep comming up,and blooming and blooming.we had a rather cool start ,then drought and heat but I watered regular.They are naturalized also now.Ive got a ton of that seed ,and the columbine.Would you like some ?

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, I would love to have some seed of both or which ever you could send. They are such a striking color of blue. One can do so much with blue. Blue/White, Blue/Orange/ Blue/Red, Blue/Chartreuse, Blue/Pink, Blue/Yellow. Yes, I would be tickled to receive some seed. I will send SASE.

i love Larkspur,and columbine,and the colors of both are Electric just wonderful.There might be some of the Lavendar or white seed mixed with the deep purple larkspur,all are beautiful. I really dont get many other colors to do as well.I try every year tho..

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Athens, PA

just gorgeous and I really love the colors.

Birder get that envy to me and Ill send you seed ...is there anything else you might like to have that I might have ?? LOL.. just ask

are you going to winter sow them ??? or direct sow..I do both. last year was my 1st time at winter sowing with gallon jugs ..I loved it ,had No Idea what I was missing..all these years....

thanks carolyn,my lily bed was beautiful this year,with all the Larkspur I planted in it.

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Your garden in very beutiful, I saved your previous picture of the larkspurs, I am looking to find some seeds. Found some at Swallowtail seed co. Hope to have some grown in the Spring. Where I come from ( I am a Hungarian from Serbia) we have them on the side of the roads, and I always liked larkspurs. I guess I love all the blue flowers. I bought some blue Veronicas this Summer.

Thumbnail by kiseta
Athens, PA

Such gorgeous gardens...... I am already missing my blooms. Love both of your color combos....

Kiseta ,Send me a sase ,I will send you some seed. Do you winter sow ?? Or direct sow ?

Thanks Carolyn,Im missing my blooms too, I must admit the only place I do color combos are my containers,the rest is willy nilly,survival of the fittest..LOL..If you want seed Ill gladly send you some too. I dont do the big seed swaps ,way to overwhelmming for me ..LOL..And I never have a list of I wants..I need to do that.

Photo this is the same area in early spring where the Larkspur were in the last photo,bare ,naked..LOL.. you can see to the right the 100`s of Larspur seedlings

This message was edited Nov 14, 2011 9:25 AM

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Athens, PA

So very pretty and I love the basket on the chair frame. You have an eye...

I would love some seed from your larkspur. They are so gorgeous. I will send you a dmail.

Thank you so much.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

My envelope will be in the mail tomorrow: Tuesday. Thanks again! I need to post my seeds also.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Huggergirl, I would of send you a SASE but do not have your address, I have sent you a Dmail with my address. Or did I missunderstand the whole thing. I am still looking for larkspur seeds if you still have some. Sincerely, Etelka

kiseta,no you didnt misunderstand ,I just got lost ..I can be such an airhead...my address is in the exchange, go to Home , Look for the tab extras,go there,scroll down you will see the address exchange,you can find most addresses there.add yours there too. Im dropping the seed in the mail today. Do you have some seed I might want ??? wintersowing is soo easy an fun. i just find that milk type jugs are just the best to use ,thats all Ive used so far,because you need lids so to speak. Im not familiar with other things to use ,I also like the reuse thing. Id bet you could find water or juice jugs ask your neibor that has kids to save them for you.We will talk more about this later,ive got grankids coming today,need to get things ready.We are decorating gingerbread houses ,and Gramma need to put them together ...LOL..seed is in the mail.

Carolyn, it was you who I sent seed to wasnt it??? LOL have you received it ???

Birder,i ll ck an see if your listed in the AE an ill send you seed today also.I`s dotted t`s crossed..I think i got it...LOL

Cancel that....Carolyn and Beth let me know who I sent seed to...im soo sorry ...LOL..kiseta ,yours is in the mail

This message was edited Nov 26, 2011 8:21 AM

Athens, PA

Tam

No, not yet. In our last exchange, we were going back and forth- You told me you don't have a list per se, but were going to send me some of the types of seeds you would be interested in.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving . Cannot believe it is over with already, can you?

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Carolyn ,I really dont have a want list, I love anything,I could use reds,yellows, I have purple and blues, Anything would be great.Did you want columbine seed and Larkspur. Tam

Athens, PA

Tam

Yes, I would love some columbine and larkspur. Thank you.

I will go through my seeds to see what I have in those colors!

Carolyn

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Huggergirl: First time I have been on here since Thanksgiving. I had the big meal at my house, so trying to get re-organized. I will get my list of seeds recorded. I have not used that section of this website, so don't know how to do this. I sent you a self addressed envelope earlier. Let me know if I need to do something else. BTW, my name is in the address list.

Birder ,there is a place to do that here ...LOL..I dont have a list of seed here..I need to tho..LOL ..Im not well oragized as far as my seed stuff goes .I need to focus on that . We have a new puppy ,she keeps me busy,trying to get her trained ,She is Potty trained 15 weeks old,I can trust her completely,she rings bells to go outside..Yay

I dropped an envie full of seed in the mail for you,should get it today or tomorrow.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I use both the haves/wants lists and the trade tracker.

both are a great part of this web site.

for adding seeds, i found the easiest way to list what you HAVE or WANT is... do a "google"
in the search terms, enter the seed [scientific or common] and include Davesgarden in the terms... that way, the direct link to PlantFiles will come up.

towards the bottom of that page, there will be something that says, Add this to my Haves or Add this to my Wants

it's been a while since i've done it, so that is from memory. but it's pretty snappy.

Trade Tracker is great too for keep track of past trades, or say someone says... can you send me "this" in the spring... Set up a trade with said person, and leave yourself a note as to when you are sending.

both can be accessed in TOOLS http://davesgarden.com/tools/

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

tcs: Thanks for the info. I will try your suggestions. Right now, things are hectic as I just finished hosting a big group for Thanksgiving and am still recovering from that: putting furniture back, freezing food, making turkey broth etc. etc. etc. I am also getting the stuff out for Christmas decorating. So, it may be after Christmas before I can drag my seeds out and get them on DG. I do appreciate the information as I am somewhat over whelmed with posting the seeds etc.

huggergirl: I am so looking forward to your generous offer of your flower seeds. The flowers in your pictures are just beautiful. I hope mine can look somewhat like your garden/s. It is kind of you to share your seeds and I thank you.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes -- Tamara has stunning gardens!! I am quite envious.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Tamara, I have read about the larkspurs that they do not like to be moved after they sprout. I have a lots of cake tops, clear plastic about 9" radius, 6 " high. could I use that for overwintering with the idea of drilling holes on sides for ventilation and cover the seeds directly in ground so they won't have to be moved. I am kind of a packrat, so anything I don't have to pay for comes handy.Thanks, I will let you know when my seeds arrive and I will send money. Etelka

kiseta,dont worry about the postage. Larkspur that are already sprouted and growing now, will winter over just fine without cover,But if you are wanting to direct winter sow ,what you worry about is the seed ending up being eatin ,unless you have a lot of seed.Thats why we wintersow in milk jugs,and the jugs act as mini greenhouses protecting the seed and seedlings,until trans plant.Larkspur will trans plant fine out of the jugs ,Ive had good luck moving wintered over seedlings in the early spring being very careful of the roots ,they did amazingly well..Very Early tho..Once you get them started in your gardens you will pretty much have them forever,I always help selfsow ,and i always collect a lot of most seed heads around here.Makes my gardens very different every year with out much effort on my part,I like a full garden. Wintersowing in jugs is soo great. Ive only done it 1 time,gearing up already...LOL

Terese,good to hear from you,I soo need to do the seed thing..Im Bad...LOL ..thanks for the info, i need to surf around here more, I`d learn more too..LOL..umm your gardens are beautiful too,I d love to see them someday

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

[quote="maozamom

I love fairy roses. There's nothing more romantic. I have too many Japanese beetles to grow roses. You're going to have to post a picture when your roses are in their glory.

Mao

One word-- I mean plant--- Four O'clocks! Japanese beetles love them! They're worse than a crack addict locked up in a cocaine factory over Christmas or Imelda Marcos in a Jimmy Choo warehouse when it comes to Four O'clocks. They'll choose them over just about any plant alive. Thing is they come for lunch and are dead before dinner cause the plants are poisonous to them. I have roses and cherry trees in my yard and since I've started growing them I have had no problem while my neighbors are eaten to the roots. They are the quintensential cottage garden plant, are pretty as all get out, come in wonderful clear victorian colors and are beautifully fragrant and easy to raise from seed.

Another good plant for them is larkspur (drop dead in mid-flight) and nicotiana works some as well. The other thing to try is steep 1/2 a pack of Camel cigarettes in a milk jug of water and spray it on the plants after straining it then pull out the miniature coffins by the gross.

Yehudith

[/quote]

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

GREAT ideas!! I LOVE 4 O'clocks and they come in some wonderful colors nowadays!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This was my floating blue island of larkspur, hoping in the Spring some will come back. Thanks again huggergirl, I hope you are well, have not seen your posts. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Athens, PA

I have found the beneficial nematodes go a long ways towards helping to keep JB's in check. I know previously that my poor roses weren't allowed to open their flowers because because the JB's would just eat them down to nothing.

The JB's still appear in my yard, because I don't treat my neighbor's yards, but I am to a point where my roses can at least open.

I order them through Arbico and they are easily put down in the Spring or Fall when it is going to be wet for a week or so to help get the nematodes into the ground. Once in the ground, the nematodes will attack the JB's while they are still in the grub stage.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22 Thumbnail by Carolyn22

bump.

Any more pictures to share? I love your garden pictures

Weymouth, MA

I like an exuberant garden. I love the idea of a darker plant behind the bunny. Plant what you like and let it grow. If you don't like it, move it elsewhere. I would go for more. Maybe wider. I am not a fan of lawn. ...a couple more shrubs...and some ground cover. I like strawberries and perennial geraniums. The natural world is beautiful and not really planned.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

I too love the exuberant garden, one I hope to have once the porch is fixed/rebuilt. My color theory is: if I like a color then it goes with any other color I have. Just look at my shirts in the closet! I think "careless combinations" of color, texture, size, bloom time, whatever, is the definition of modern cottage gardening.

Our most recent house has wisteria, pink dog wood and I'm trying like crazy to get it all cleaned up and flowers put in. It's been sadly neglected due to the previous owner poor health so I have quite a job ahead of me! I work full time and I husband is recovering from surgery so I can only do so much at one time!

Thumbnail by psychw2
Athens, PA

Pat

I see so much potential there. I would love to see a thread of your progress - please post pictures.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Ooh Pat, what a wonderful starting point! I hope that you enjoy the process of the turning it into the garden you want. I too will be looking for pictures

Norwalk, IA

I think it's absolutely stunning. I love cottage gardens and am working on mine looking like this as well. They are so romantic looking. Splendid job! :)

I can hardly move today! I spent all of yesterday taking down old rotten wooden lattice that surrounded the patio and put up new white vinyl lattice. Do you know how hard it is to handle 4 x 8 lattice and attach it suspended when you're working alone? I finally figured out if I used a C-clamp at the middle, then I could get a screw in before it dropped out of place.

I dug up and capped off the sprinklers in the front yard... one step closer to my new parking area!

I dug out an old rose that had gone wild and transplanted in a clematis. Museum, did your husband make that trellis that is to the left of the window in your front yard, the one with the curved edge? Did he have plans? Could I have a close up of that? I love that trellis and would love to make some.

Museum, any more pictures to share?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.