cottage garden or too haphazard?

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

still too dark,mmm camera???I always get great shots with it???

Thumbnail by huggergirl
(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Hugger, I really like all your birdhouses and I have "a few" but I always get Nasties building their wasp nests etc. I'm not sure what I'm doing to do about that.

I have a mouse nest in one...LOL...yes I get wasp nests in some of them,most of my bird houses that sit in my landscape are just decorations,i have 5-6 that i hang on trees for Carolina wrens,I put them out in the woods and such

Thumbnail by huggergirl

Hugger & Museum, got any new pics? I enjoyed your pictures so much.

cottage garden run a muck

Thumbnail by huggergirl

i love the full look

Thumbnail by huggergirl

potting chairs,and the back of the toilet planter that faces the road

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Had to "tidy" the garden a bit, the fairy roses just will NOT bloom for me, so they had to go. It is a little spare right now, but still okay. The roses are kind of taking a break right now.

Thumbnail by museumgirl
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I liked this picture, too.

Thumbnail by museumgirl
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Huggergirl, your pictures are beautiful!

oh your landscaping is beautiful,sometimes I wish I had a little less...But it is getting easier the more that it fills in ..I did wsing 1st time last winter ,OMG Im hooked growing my own with no hassels...LOVE IT

photo of winter sowed in milk jugs and what I started under lights

Thumbnail by huggergirl

WHAT is that gorgeous deep blue flower?

Larkspur, I have it every where,it just pops up,well after I help scatter seed.

Thumbnail by huggergirl

i keep trying to get a few other colors going ,but seems to me the deep purple is very hardy... it is a nice vivid deep purple ,as you can tell Im the Haphazard gardner,If a seed sprouts in the middle of the sidewalk ,I wont pull it...Soo where ever the seed falls thats where it will grow,i used to keep everything all neat an tidy...so glad I dont anymore,ive opened my eyes to eclectic cottage rock garden....LOL...Daves also helped me,to realize it does not have to be all perfectly placed to be pretty. a photo from earlier in the spring ...boring...LOL

Thumbnail by huggergirl

Help Hugger, I truly LOVE your garden. I'll have to look for some of that seed because the color is soooo deep and BOLD.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Love that pathway through the garden area, so beautiful! I could spend all day there...

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

And, that larkspur is beautiful, amazing!!! I have a few delphinium here and there, but seeing them blooming enmasse, well, that's something to envy!!! Maybe my few little babies will drop seed and spread for next year?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Tamara -- your flower beds are gorgeous.

museumgirl - have you ever 'fed' your roses bananas?? literally bury the peal, or whole banana near the shrub....
i have done just the peels -- works wonders.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Museumgirl, your home looks so loved from your flowers to your seat by the front door!

Hugger, your flowers by the garage are very pretty and that bank is very nice. Remember, wherever you have flowers you do not have to mow!

No mowing... AMEN! My last house I had managed to get ALL the grass out and just have flowers and paths. THIS house has an abundance of grass and I sure wish it didn't. Maybe next year we can take out the front yard. I want a semi-circle drive with a 1/2 circle flowerbed within the that curve. THAT would be a LOT easier to maintain that this.

Athens, PA

Terese

what do the bananas do to the roses? I assume it is a fertilizer of sorts.

Thank you everyone,I just love the Blooms of summer,makes my heart sooo happy.
rudbeckia rustic colors ??,I love the multi petals

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Huggergirl, I love that full look too.Your yard is beautiful!
Dee

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Yes, what do the bananas do? Do they kill Japanese Beetles, because that would be great!

thank you everyone

bananas provide potasium id bet...dosent kill JBs,that would be too easy...LOL

psych,actually Larkspur is in the Delphinium family,buy seed now and start sowing it next month and you will have babies that willl winter over,and you will have a bumper crop,i did winter sow several milk jugs too,thats easy also then you have big hunks of seedlings to trans plant.

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

can I just use 1 gall. nursery flower pots for winter sowing, since I do not use 1 gall. milk jugs, I love Larkspure, In my home country we had them on the side of the road. Thanks.
Etelka
this is my picture of Angelonia and Agastache

Thumbnail by kiseta

Thanks Hugger, I'll do that!

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Wow, they're beautiful plants in large drifts like that! I will need to start more for next year! I have hollyhocks for the first time ever, this year. Boy, did they get big!

Thumbnail by museumgirl
Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

You can't get a flower that says "cottage garden" more than a single pink hollyhock.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

A dear friend brought me seeds from Vermont.To my surprise, even my superior "killing" skills couldn't stop those hollyhocks! I l just love them. My grandmother always grew a big patch of them behind her house in Tennessee. They make me feel nostalgic!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

4-O'Clocks are supposed to be poisonous to JB's. I have them in a different bed, opposite my rose bed.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4597259_feed-roses-banana-peels.html

tcs,do jbs munch on the 4oclocks ??

museumgirl,i have black HH and double red ,the red I have are kinda short,but they are shaded a bit by the sunflowers...ck out other colors,some might be different heights ???

im,finally getting drifts of plants growing,and i too love that look,I always cleaned up my gardens too much,not anymore,let it go too seed,well I collect the seed heads and then sow seed where I want it .and Im careful of invasives.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I put in a few seeds for the black hollyhocks this year, but haven't noticed if they are up yet-it is kind of crowded in there! But I think the holllyhocks will die back after their second year and re-seed? don't know, I've never grown them before...

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

Your HH seeds will fall and start seedlings this year. These seedlings will bloom next year. I scattered wallflower seeds this week so that I'll have some a different garden next year.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Tamara -- the JB's are supposed to be drawn to the 4'O'Cs and then kills them.

we have the JB's really bad in Wisc... i need to grow the 4-O'Cs next year for sure.

None of my HH's are impressive this year. must be the drought.

been smashing a few JBs ,powdered the HH and Malvas,,grrr...holy moly its too hott...dang...

ive got an area thats wayyy over crowded....OH Darn...LOL.. although Im seeing that the sunflowers are shading the tomato plants ....and few others

Thumbnail by huggergirl

tcs ,my HH are getting ate up and are just starting to come on,Id bet they wont bloom this year,have 1 black and 1 red that bloomed,yes not impressive.. I dont have much color this year coming down the walk and steps ,lots of green ,its sooo shady,then afternoon sun =( but the petunias on the west side are loving this heat. I need to find more shade loving bloomers.

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

wow -- that's a lot of color!!

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

another hollyhock picture from last week. They are almost to the end for now, but still so pretty. Do I cut them back when they are done blooming?

Thumbnail by museumgirl
Athens, PA

Museumgirl - your HH are gorgeous. Great color. Could I possibly get some seed from you? Please send me a Dmail.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.