TEA ROOM #86

Christchurch, New Zealand

You get Tuesday off in Mainland Aussie?
we don't here, the stat holidays are Good Friday, Easter Sunday & Easter Monday.
Shops are shut the Friday & Sunday.
We are heading away the thursday to go up to Omaka for the Classic Fighters Airshow.
we went last time - two years ago & it was brilliant.
I have been to Warbirds over Wanaka & thought that was amazing but Omaka is every bit as good.
http://www.classicfighters.co.nz/classic-fighters-gallery.php

se qld, Australia

Teresa there was talk of an extra day off because anzac day fell on the Monday, which was already a holiday. That is SOOOO wrong, in my opinion. It cheapens the day to nothing more than an excusse for a public holiday.

So I guess the Taswegians got it right Anthony? lol

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. Quite chilly here this morning after a wet day yesterday. Looks like more of the same today. The garden is loving the rain and I can hear the weeds growing madly.
My chrysanthemums are all starting to open so will be a lovely show. The roses were looking exceptionally lovely until the rain spoiled them all, but thats gardening for you.
We have small black millipedes every where still along with the slaters. I dont know why they think its nicer inside than out in the garden.
Hello Anthony. I have just cut all the dead stems from my liliums and there are some new shoots at the base of some. I am going to pot one of each color and leave the rest to multiply in the garden.
Hello Teresa, how is your garden going now ? They must be used to growing in moving ground. Does the shaking affect the larger things much, such as trees ? I would think in some places, the ground would get very loose, maybe affecting their roots.
Hello Karen and Dianne, Pam , Elaine and Chrissy.
Hello Charleen and Louise. I am going to doa bit in the grennhousr today as it looks too cold and wet for anything else. I will get my mini greenhouses and pots ready for cuttings and seeds in spring.
My great idea for having the plastic over the brom house hasnt worked well. The weight of the rainwater on the plastic, makes it sink in lots of places. I have to go out and push the plastic up to get the water off. I am worried the weight may collapse the roof as it is only a flimsy structure, being our first effort at making a shadehouse here. It was never meant to be that strong as nothing was going to be on the roof.
I will look at getting another of the cheap plastic greenhouses I have bought before on eBay. They are not expensive and so far mine have lasted over 5 years .
It should do well as a brom house. Lots of light but protection from the weather. I can open all the windows and door for plenty of air.
One of the others I have is now losing its plastic slowly, but as there is mesh embedded in the plastic, the basic cover stays there. i just added a piece of plastic inside to go over the frame but under the roof itself to keep excess rain off the plants and it does really well as a shadehouse for all my begonias and stapelias.
Better move and get something done or hubby will think I've taken root here at the desk.
Have a great day and I hope something nice happens to make your day happy.
What about trying some lovely warm Scones with Jam and Cream.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Well the nurse was pleased so I am happy, brother's cellulitis is getting better at last ..I hate having to strip the dead skin away, so happy when that job is over ...It's quite breezy outside more more showers on the way, must go outside now and have a look around ...hopefully there will be something interesting going on,
Who am I kidding ...there is always something going on right ?
I hope everyone is enjoying their day (what's left of it that is) school hols commence down here fun fun fun ...Easter show etc.
Loved going to the E,Show before they moved it ...no longer happy with it.
Watching it from home is enough on telly ...I will miss the agriculture and animals but the rest you can keep.

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

it poured with rain overnight,so i was home early from work,.,.lucky for me!!!-because an american 'lily-lover' offered me 5 draws in the 'NALS',seed exchange'buy up.'''lucky me'''''..im as happy as a pig in shi' mmery pants....Woeful tipping form this week,thank you Dianne for not 'rubbing it in'-but im sure essendumb will cop a hiding this week,..,alison and s.i.l and kids all support essendon,.the kids bite well ,when i tell them theres heaps of essendon gear up at the 'tip shop'.,.,Jean,thank you for not removing the lily stems early,next years blooms will love you for it,.,.light application of b'n'b or moo moo manure,come june/ july,when you top dress,pottash come august/ sept,results will be ''magnifico',...enjoy the rain-anthony

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi-de-ho campers! Jean, thanks for that insight on the plastic! I was considering putting some up over the brom house, but didn't think of the water pooling! Mmm, might have to look at the shade house on Ebay, can you remember the sellers name.
Pam, I agree about the holiday thing. Seems stupid! Who decides when Easter is? Was pretty bad timing to have it on Anzac day. Some will be torn between mass on Monday or dawn service! (not me, I'm sleeping in) Does that mean Dawn service will be held on tuesday? And if not, then why the holiday? So many questions and not enough answers. Also, I tried your link for the characters to insert, but It didn't work.
Chrissy, i'm glad your brother has something on the mend. It sounds as though it might have been a long hard road so far. He's lucky he has such a caring sister!
Karen, beautiful broms and good score! I didn't see them over on the brom thread though? You are also a good sister!
Theresa, I hope you and Baz enjoy the airshow. I've always been a little afraid of them myself, since there seems to be a high number of incedents at airshows! How far is Omaka from you?
Anthony, what do you use for the 'special toppings'? My sister in NZ sent me a peice of frost cloth last year, but as we haven't hda frost here, I gave it to a freidn in a frost prone area to try. I must ask her how it went. It looked like white shade cloth. I actually wouldn't mind it back, to use to keep the butterflies off the brocolli.
Anyway, I have a step daughter visiting, so shouldn't be so rude by hanging out in the tea room. I just don't often have the time to visit, but like Tassie, its been rainingnhere too.
Oh, Dianne, belated birthday wishes!
Sue
woopsh! Too many beers.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2011 8:43 PM

Sunshine Coast, Australia

Nice day but a late storm just going overhead.

Karen...nice haul of broms.
Dianne...you will have to give me step by step instructions for those characters. (I'm old you know)

I hope to spend the day in the garden tomorrow...woopy!

Sue - Easter is decided by the phases of the moon.
Which is good if the weather is nice, we will have a gorgeous full moon for the twilight show (that is as in sunset, not twinkly vampires)
they had a 5.1 earthquake in the North Island, it was 30km deep so I don't know why it even made the news...

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Some beautiful Iris, no, don't know their names but they do have a wonderful scent.
You all keep hanging in there...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
se qld, Australia

Quote from weed_woman :
My sister in NZ sent me a peice of frost cloth last year, but as we haven't hda frost here, I gave it to a freidn in a frost prone area to try. I must ask her how it went. It looked like white shade cloth. I actually wouldn't mind it back, to use to keep the butterflies off the brocolli.

We used to use frost cloth (or frost blanket) right through winter when we lived in Dubbo (about a million year ago) Sue, simply tossed it over the garden beds in the late afternoon and weighted down the edges, then pulled it up again in the morning. It worked wonderfully well. It's light enough also that if we were going away for a few days there was no risk involved with leaving it on. It let plenty of light through, so the plants were not bothered in the least.

We use black mosquito netting to keep nasties out of the vegie patch, and it works quite well. It's only black because it doesn't stand out and look weird. Any colour would do. The only trouble is that the native bees who are attracted to the flowers on the basil, or anything else that is flowering at the time, get terribly frustrated that they can't get to it.

On the subject of the vegie garden, we really must get in and get some planting done. We let it go a bit when we were getting constant rain for such a long period late last year and well into this one. The asparagus, rocket and parsley loved it, but everything else struggled.

Have a great day all.

Pam

Brisbane, Australia

Good morning everyone.

Sue, I didnt' put the broms on the brom thread as they won't be mine (crying).

Supposed to be mostly fine but we are off to a very wet start, and a very grey sky. I have a very sore mouth as an abscess has formed. Got antibiotics so hope it will stop hurting fast.

Pam, I found the veges I had went to seed way too fast. Was that due to the rains? My parsley even went to seed, and I've had it for years and its never done that before. Don't know what to put in for winter. I'm just learning the ropes slowly as I go.

Karen

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. Yesterday turned out to be quite a bit warmer than the weekend, Still jumper weather but the rain stayed away and we had lots of sun. I was out measuring the old shadehouse where the broms are and one of the cheap plastic greenhouses should fit nicely in the space when I pull the old frame down. I will be watching as we do the job because there have been a couple of large huntsmen living in there somewhere.
The only drawback to using the greenhouse will be that I cannot hang anything from the frame. It is just not that strong. I will have to have a think about making some sort of frame that can be free standing along one side. Maybe not to hang plants but at least make it high so they can be seen as a sort of wall. . A project in the planning stages. As is usual with me, it will evolve as I go along.
Hello Anthony, like you, I am always aware of the different plants needing that extra boost from the old leaves, so always leave them on even if it looks yukky for a while.
I cringe when I see people running around chopping of tops etc when the flowers are done then they wonder why the plants dont look as good the next year.
I am also a great fan of the ever faithful B&B plus potash . These go on everything in the early spring. I will also use some dynamic lifter and a touch of lime for those plants that need it.
I love early spring when one just wanders around tossing fertilser everywhere. Makes you feel good feeding the babies.
Hello Sue. To look at those plastic greenhouses, just go on to eBay and type in greenhouse. You will find several sellers. You may be luckier than I am, living up there, because you may be closer to one that you can pick up from. They are a lot cheaper now than I have seen before .
My first one is still going well but the second was a bit different and deteriorated in the sun a lot more quickly. It also didnt fit over the frame as well . I use steel posts to tie the frame down on the 4 corners and I put a piece of shadecloth over the top with ropes which also keep the plastic from lifting too much. .
It a very handy thing to have for special plants and growing seeds , cuttings etc. . I use the little plastic mini greenhouses ( from the cheapie shops) for seeds etc and put them out in the big greenhouse when big enough.
At the moment there is a large self sown tomato that has taken over the floor space. I carefully step around it but I have no idea where it came from. I leave it because there are tomatoes on it. .
The plastic from the brom house roof will go inside the old greenhouse between the outer covering and the frame. It will do as a bit of protection from too much rain on the stapelias etc.
Hello Teresa, If you keep shaking over there you may end up rocking and rolling all the way over to us. We will have to adopt you all as Aussies then.
Hello Pam, Elaine and Karen.
Karen, I found any vegies here went to seed quickly too. I have parsley everywhere that always goes to seed very quickly. It used to be lovely to have all the nice plants to pick bunches from. Makes a nice garden plant anyway with the large seed heads.
Hello Charleen, thats a lovely iris. Who cares what the name is as long as you like it.
Hello Chrissy, Dianne and Colleen.
Hello Louise. pats for the girls.
I am off to see what my new epi flower is doing. Its quite unexpected to have one now.
lots of brug flowers coming on too.
Have a great day and enjoy this Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

I do have a Red Rider I got from Mit last year. Loved the name. Wonder why???Red mule...
Thank you, I have sever that are so pretty it doesn't matter what their names were before the labels got eaten.

Clifton Springs, Australia

Marleneann, you should have a Character map in Accessories....Click on Start, all Programs, go to Accessories, then System Tools.
You should see a C/map there....right click on it and put it on your task bar.....all you do is find the symbol that you want then click on it, select then copy...the copy works like a right click copy....paste where ever you want it.
There are lots of different C/maps, this is the basic..............you can use the the copy/paste on your keyboard if you prefer..use enter to select.

Anthony, as if I would rub it in...I don't need to..lol.......can't wait for this weekend......love the Blues and love to beat them..

Charleen, many years ago there was a comic called Red Ryder.......possibly named after that.....lovely anyway.

Boy, did it rain last night......almost 50 mm....we needed it.

Try this

It worked!!!!!!!
Yippee...you are a good teacher. Thanks.

Merino, Australia

..........♫♣☼♥♪ ...... me too.... thanks Dianne. I never knew they were there.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hello everyone!

Cool about the character map. I didn't know it was there either! Boy I bet you could really get into trouble with some of those characters if you didn't know what you were spelling out..........LOL!

One should only use the ones they know what are. HAHA!

It has been absolutely beautiful here today. Unfortunately I had to run errands and wasn't in the garden enjoying it. We have roses, camelia, amaryllis, I guess that's all that's in bloom at the moment.

Later gators!

Jeanne

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

Boo Hoo I can't find any accessories at all on mine ...I am on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit , is that because I have to go buy them? or because the Nortons has all the stuff for cleaning and defragment etc ?

Yours truly
lost and confused (as usual) ^_^
...♫♣☼♥♪ ... I can cut and paste but :(

Merino, Australia

I dont know Chrissy. We have Vista and the characters are right where Dianne said.
What we need is a virtual youngster to show us all these computer tricks etc.
Jean.

I think the stuff on this new fangled thingy has everything stored online ...I remember the character map thing in my other puter (I didn't know what it was LOL.
Oh well I guess it's cut and paste for me ...never mind.

It's cold and blowy outside ...a bit too soon I reckon, I wanted just a little more sun before they turn off the lights and open the fridge door.
Thanks jean and Jeanne *grin*

The heaters have had to go on because we have an invalid in the home, I usually only put them on around the end of June, it's a strange feeling.
I think it may be one heck of a Winter considering it's 2011 the year for megga everything.

Charleen what a beautiful iris.

You got some rain Dianne ? that's wonderful ...
phones ringing

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

RAIN!!!!-shiploads of it!!!!-my big firewood logs are burning a treat.The 2 cats think its great..I was given two miniature daff bulbs today''mortie and ferdie''-they are truly a couple of the smallest in the world-- My friend Rod has 1 more daffodil order to fill tomorrow and he says,'thats it'-7 weeks of r and r,then he can start to play with lilium bulbs.,.happy rain everyone!!!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

♫ Ohhh, I found it too! ♫♠♦

Brisbane, Australia

I have found a character map, but cant' figure how to use it.

Karen

This message was edited Apr 12, 2011 2:34 PM

Merino, Australia

♫♫♫ Good morning everyone ♫♫♫
just being smart, haha...
its a very damp morning here. dark and misty/foggy rain.
There go all my plans for the day. It may change later though.
I did manage to get a few things cut back yesterday as the few spots of rain were not too bad .
Lots of bulbs putting up buds now so should look pretty when they all open. Trouble is , they dont all agree to open at the same time so there is usually just a small clump here and there. Still a couple of naked ladies dancing out in the rain.
I moved a couple of brugs in pots from the back to the front where there is a bit more room.
Hello Anthony. No fires here now. Firewood is too hard to get and way too dear anyway. I do like an open fire. Nice to watch and to cook jaffles on too.
Hello Chrissy. I hope you are getting plenty of rest yourself as looking after someone can be draining even when done with love.
Hello Sue, clever you , too. We can play with the characters now.
Hello Jeanne, welcome . Lovely flower. I could do with some of your warm at the moment.
Hello Dianne and Colleen. Elaine, Pam and Karen too.
Charleen, lovely iris, I am waiting for two more of mine to open. Its weird seeing them at this time of year.
Hello Louise, hope all is well over your way.
I am off to the kitchen to see what goodies I have for you today.
Not really a cake, but delicious anyway. I do like this Baklava.
Happy day, Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Karen, on Vista, I just click on the character and it comes up in the space below the characters, if yoi want more than one of the same, just use the space bar on your keyboard and they pop up. for different ones, just click on each one you want. . right click and click copy in the little window . Go to where you want to put the signs and right click again, click on paste. . Voila..... little characters.
There may be a different way, but this works for me on my computer.
Someone else may have an easier way.
It would be helpful if all computers worked in the same way. Less confusing for we oldies.
Jean.

I have some beautiful Noid iris too. Thank you all♫
♪ I got it too.♦♣♠☺☻○◘•☻
Can only use numbers on right side of my keyboard. Don't have the little sunburst.
I ♥ the color of these iris.

Sydney NSW, Australia

Hi to everyone,
Have been reading all the posts. Buds almost ready to bloom.....
Hope that those on the sick list are now recovering. Take very good care.
We are having our flu vac tonight. Ouch...not fond of injections but it is only a wee thing and shouldn't hurt too much.

How do you find the 'notes'...i.e. music variety please....a virtual child is the answer I do believe.

Still no buyer for this home but fingers crossed. We have seen a pleasant townhouse that actually has a

GARDEN!

Shall return later.
Anna :-)

Brisbane, Australia

………[

Nope, that didn't work. I have Webdings, Wingdings and Vrinda.

¶ Hmmm, the first two didn't work but Vrinda did. Trying again...

¼

well, Vrinda works, but there is hardly anything on it worthwhile. No hearts.... not even a smiley.

Karen

This message was edited Apr 12, 2011 9:25 PM

Day started off nicely and I did get some gardening done but dark clouds are forming again.
I just hope the Easter weekend gives us some nice weather as I have picnic plans.

♥ This Vanda is in flower now...don't know the name. Very pretty.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Looking at these posts is making me smile, all those little characters...
For anyone having trouble finding their character map,
Go to your start menu and type "character map" into the "search programs and files' box.
This will bring it up no matter where it's hiding....

It's on XP, Vista and Windows7 all versions.

Norton wouldn't affect your Accessories, Chrissy....sometimes it's right down the bottom of your programs....

Jean, has your Treloar's Rose catalogue arrived yet? it's the best one yet...Drool ☻☻☻☻☻☻

Forgot to mention, if you want to look at wingdings,etc....just change the font..MѾ☼♪♫.......I'm not quite sure what the second one is...lol

This message was edited Apr 13, 2011 6:16 PM

well I found the character map but now can't seem to make it copy & paste the ones I want...
when I paste I get a different character to the one I selected

Teresa, when you find a character that you want, click on it, then select, then you will see the one you want in the box. then copy..
try that.

☼♂♂♥♫♦♫♀♀◊♣ໝ໘₤∬Ẅ ummmm Dianne you are a genius! ...I looked at the programs before and did not write search for (it was very well hidden )ѭ‱Ӂ†‡©¬«Â very interesting! Lol ...makes me feel like a little kid playing with crayons.

A very big thankyou!
Now I have got that out of my system ...no garden today ...nurse etc.
I hope everyone can uncross their eyes now we have had a play with the thingy, I need some coffee lol.
I will be back®•••••••-

Some things you click on don't come true they change into something else lol oh well.YZZZ ha ha ha what happened to those hearts, I think your code has to match the one in there ie hotmail may be a different thingy.

barmera, Australia

☼♫♥♥ I've been trying and trying and watching all the hints and I finally did it. Yahoo How is everyone? All well I hope. I think we're in for some more rain tonight. I hope there's no more hail involved. I have heaps of buds on the brugs and the ones that were just planted out the front are looking great with all new growth. Avalanche has about 5 or 6 buds so it should be great to finally see him in flower. I will never forget seeing Alistair's in full flower just overflowing like a waterfall. I potted up my little hippy seedlings today and 7 more brugs, 2 brom seedlings that John grew, some silver beet seeds and some globe artichoke just for the flowers. Still have lots of seeds to plant but will get the boys to give me a hand over the holidays. Well had better go and get some tea for my hungry little munchkins. Be back later. Colleen

Pats on the back to everyone ..
An Elephant stamp for you.

I know what you mean Colleen about that pic of Alistair's Avalanche...magnificent wasn't it.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Sydney, Australia

Too much to do! Heading to Sussex on the weekend .. time to start digging new gardens!
My Norfolk Pine seedling .. grown from seed collected locally .. is over a metre tall now and loving it! I may regret where I stuck it but hey .. live and learn! :)
The mowing man has complained that the lawn edges are overgrown so I suppose time to trim and mulch. Most of you guys would say .. pffft to lawn .. but I like some!

Jean .. the table ended up in the back room .. was intended outdoors .. but suits the current position. The only projects in mind at the moment are some garden benches that were scrounged off council clean up piles! People just don't repair anymore .. they throw and buy .. these just need slats replacing .. stay tuned!

Anyhooo .. off to do stuff .. have a great day / night all.
Cheers
Budgie

Hey Steve when we were young the boys had woodwork ...these days they can't even write anymore because of cyber and texting stuff, you watch, even the art of writing is just about gone.

The girls did home economics (cooking and sowing ...including patches sown onto worn clothes and darning the heels of socks) ...while we did that, the boys were making little tables and small cabinets etc.

I suppose there was more time and less distraction before tv ...working mums, and of course the computer. I hold my hand up as having played with this silly character map thing for far too much time, still it's more fun than darning socks.
I had better not tell you how tall my Norfolk Pine is after 20 years *grin*
Have fun with the chores.

Colleen it's wonderful to be waiting for a big brug flush ...whooppee!
I hope the weather stays favourable for you.
Here is Avalanche to the right and Star dancer x to the left ...I think Avalanche is beautiful and true to it's name so you are in for a thrill.

Thumbnail by
Sydney, Australia

Hi Chrissy! Have missed your wisdom .. too true!!
My son was married on the week end .. was a beautiful day!!

Not long ago he asked if he could borrow a phillips head screwdriver to put together a bookshelf. I said .. 'need a hand?' .. he said 'No thanks .. need to do this by myself'

Wow .. when I was his age I was building furniture! Each to their own .. he plays guitar like I wish I could ...

Texting is removing the ability to communicate .. it is not a good spot .. had a supplier say today .. 'you have been ignoring my email for months' .. I simply said .. 'that email address has been closed for months .. why did you not call?' ..

Heading back over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Budgie :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.