Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: TEA ROOM #86, 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: TEA ROOM #86

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of TEA  ROOM  #86
77sunset wrote:
Good morning everyone. Quite chilly here this morning after a wet day yesterday. Looks like more of the same today. The garden is loving the rain and I can hear the weeds growing madly.
My chrysanthemums are all starting to open so will be a lovely show. The roses were looking exceptionally lovely until the rain spoiled them all, but thats gardening for you.
We have small black millipedes every where still along with the slaters. I dont know why they think its nicer inside than out in the garden.
Hello Anthony. I have just cut all the dead stems from my liliums and there are some new shoots at the base of some. I am going to pot one of each color and leave the rest to multiply in the garden.
Hello Teresa, how is your garden going now ? They must be used to growing in moving ground. Does the shaking affect the larger things much, such as trees ? I would think in some places, the ground would get very loose, maybe affecting their roots.
Hello Karen and Dianne, Pam , Elaine and Chrissy.
Hello Charleen and Louise. I am going to doa bit in the grennhousr today as it looks too cold and wet for anything else. I will get my mini greenhouses and pots ready for cuttings and seeds in spring.
My great idea for having the plastic over the brom house hasnt worked well. The weight of the rainwater on the plastic, makes it sink in lots of places. I have to go out and push the plastic up to get the water off. I am worried the weight may collapse the roof as it is only a flimsy structure, being our first effort at making a shadehouse here. It was never meant to be that strong as nothing was going to be on the roof.
I will look at getting another of the cheap plastic greenhouses I have bought before on eBay. They are not expensive and so far mine have lasted over 5 years .
It should do well as a brom house. Lots of light but protection from the weather. I can open all the windows and door for plenty of air.
One of the others I have is now losing its plastic slowly, but as there is mesh embedded in the plastic, the basic cover stays there. i just added a piece of plastic inside to go over the frame but under the roof itself to keep excess rain off the plants and it does really well as a shadehouse for all my begonias and stapelias.
Better move and get something done or hubby will think I've taken root here at the desk.
Have a great day and I hope something nice happens to make your day happy.
What about trying some lovely warm Scones with Jam and Cream.
Jean.