TEA ROOM #86

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. I thought I had better move us today instead of the first of the month tomorrow.. Being 1 April, not a good day to do things like that.
I am off shopping today so wont linger here. Just long enough to put out some lovely nibbles for you all. I hope I can find an orphan today. see you all later.
Happy gardening.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1165338/

barmera, Australia

Good morning everyone. It's a beautiful morning here so hope it stays the same all day. Have opened a couple of pressies and cards but will let you know later what was in them. Am expecting a cousin from Canberra to drop in today. Haven't seen him since we were kids so we will have a lot of catching up to do. Better get moving as just because it's my birthday it doesn't mean that I've nothing to do. Will be back later. Everyone have a wonderful day. Colleen

Brisbane, Australia

Jean, what a glorious Autumn scene. Such colours!

Colleen, enjoy your cousin's visit. I hope you have a fantastic day.

That goes for everyone else too. I'll be outta here soon to take advantage of a break in the rain to get to the shops.

Karen

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Hope you have a happy day Colleen filled with smiles and surprises.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
se qld, Australia

Elaine and Colleen, happy birthday to you both.

Have a great day all.

Pam

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

hello all,''work work work'' makes anthony a dull boy!!!-its nearly the weekend

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. Still dark so the day could be anything out there. Temperature is 5C.
Yesterday was forecast to be cold and overcast. Turned out to be a lovely day for shopping. Lots of sun and blue sky.
I saw some orphans but nothing I really wanted to bring home. There were several large magnolias but I dont have the room for the very big ones. Lots of daisies which I already have plenty of, so I came home empty handed.
I am pleased to see that all my German epi seeds are up and looking good on top of the fridge. They will live there until Spring when they graduate to the greenhouse. I havent moved my bromeliads. I decided that its easier to go out and tip the rain off the plastic roof than move them all. They will be no colder there than in their previous place.
My brugs are reaching the top of the shadecloth now so there will be several haircuts later in Spring.
Lots of green shoots popping up around the garden and I see more Haemanthus . The trees are starting to show more color and the weeds are doing well.
Hello Anthony. Have you been working hard lately ? My liliums are just now losing the rest of their stems. I will move a couple of the different colors into pots for my potted lilium corner
How is Cocky going ? . Saw some pics of the Melbourne Flower show yesterday. Beautiful.
Hello Pam and Jean/moon, Elaine and Colleen.
Hello to everyone else out there.
Chrissy, Dianne, Teresa.
Hello Louise and Charleen too. I hope you are all looking forward to a lovely weekend.
Here we are in April already. Start getting the Christmas decorations out again, Once Easter is over , its downhill to Christmas.
Enjoy your gardens and try this Carrot and Walnut Loaf. .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Can't believe it's April !
Into the 4th month already ...fast forward is switched on somewhere isn't it.
Jean when you give your Brugs a hair cut be careful because if you cut before a Y is formed it's a problem.
The ones up to the roof if they haven't Y'd yet may need to go outside somewhere.
I am talking about seedlings of course.

Time to get ready for Easter I guess.
I do look forward to a hot cross bun ...you can keep the chocolate though.
I miss hiding eggs for the little ones to find,it's not the same without that ... is it.
While most of the World celebrates Easter in Spring we have it in Autumn when things are starting to shut down for Winter instead of new beginnings in the overseas gardens.
In Italy and places like that it is the Celebration of new life as the many farm animals give birth and mushrooms appear everywhere after months of ice/snow.
So we miss out on those things,
however
I think of Autumn as a kind gentle season ... a harvest festival sort of time (if the season has been good) ...the freshening nights and mornings whisper to us of some respite from the many chores we usually have to do in hotter times.
April is usually a beautiful month wherever we live on the Globe.

I hope everyone has a lovely April Fool's day :) watch out for those Gottcha !!! moments won't you ?
and enjoy your day.

Sunshine Coast, Australia

Good morning everyone!
Yes Chrissy... we are getting old very quickly. I too can't believe how quickly the months have gone.

Yesterday I went to the local gardening shop and purchased a bit of fertilizer, fungerside, etc and it cost over $50. I still have to purchase more potting mix and bark. This gardening is an expensive hobby. OH well I guess it's better then putting my money into the poker machines.

Weekend here already. Friday is house cleaning day and I have to visit mother in the Nursing Home, a church afternoon tea to go to tomorrow, visit the grandboys so I guess I will not get any gardening done before Monday.

I have a craze on purchasing Anthuriums at the moment.
If you have any for sale I would be interested in buying ones I don't have.

Anthurium in flower

Miss Pamela

This message was edited Mar 31, 2011 8:14 PM

This message was edited Mar 31, 2011 8:14 PM

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Anthurium Artic Snow

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Small yellow one.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Why Chrissy, I do believe you've a bit of the poet in your soul.....Grin

Those anthuriums are lovely Marleneann.

Jean, have you ever tried adding a bit of grated sweet potato and zucchini to your Carrot walnut loaf?
My daughter worries about her two little ones getting enough veggies in their diet, so while I was there in Brisbane last summer we went through and revamped some of her recipes to include a vegetable when possible. we subbed 1/2 of the carrots called for with the potatoes and zucchini, finely grated. The grandsons didn't even notice the difference and my SIL thought it had a "lovely moist texture even without frosting".

Moonhowl look at this I am about 90% veggie so I make a lot of veggie recipes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM7qFj9tQkU
I do hope that link works but if it does not, go google Indian recipes using besan flour (chick pea flour ) it's a delicious and healthy way to get children to eat their veggies.
Adjust the spices to your taste.

Poet ...no just older ...I come from the days when you read a lot of books done in poetic style ...before TV.
It was drummed into us at school to be descriptive in our words.
I still get carried away with descriptive talk, probably too much in this era of cyber speak where everyone talks short hand .

Marleneann they are lovely but I can't get mine to do anything here due to cold in the Winter.

How are the birthday girls recovering?
Anthony it's Friday mate ...relax a bit ok.
Enjoy your evening everyone.
Weekend dead ahead.

Christchurch, New Zealand

I had to laugh this morning, apparently it is non pc to have an Easter egg hunt...
it has to be a Spring Egg hunt - obviously Northern Hemisphere - and this is so non Christians are not offended...
but what is funny to me is that the egg hunt was a pagan celebration subverted by the church in the first place.
So full circle it goes...

im 'chillin out' dude!!!--early start,.,.,.early finish,.,.,.early opening of the 1st 4xxxx,.,.early to bed,..,,..,tomorrows a mystery!!!!! Dalfyre,the more we ponder the situation,the more confused we get.,.,,.,..its like trying to get some sense out of the govt[here i go]-goodnight everyone!!!

This message was edited Apr 1, 2011 3:30 PM

Brisbane, Australia

Hi all and some Happy Birthdays too!
I really like that white Anthurium.
Were there still some Black bat plant seeds left? I read somebody had some. How big do they have to be before they flower?

Thank you Chrissy. One of my DH's coworkers, Mahendra, gave me a number of vegetable based recipes to take with me. We tried a couple, but, Aidan,4 and Ethan 15 months (last summer) weren't quite ready. DD Jan has been trying to introduce a "new food" a couple times a month.I will send her this link as this looks like something they just might like. GRIN As kids, we were required to read 1 hour for every hour spent watching TV. I will always be grateful to my Mom for that....not that there was much to watch back in the 50's-60's anyway. Grin

As are so many Christian rites Teresa...I have to laugh when I read stories of that nature, then shake my head at the foolishness of some folks
. This link has some interesting info regarding this 2nd major religious holy day.

http://www.gnmagazine.org/issues/gn63/easter.htm

Hope you all have a pleasant weekend

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
se qld, Australia

Quote from Tanzen :
Hi all and some Happy Birthdays too!
I really like that white Anthurium.
Were there still some Black bat plant seeds left? I read somebody had some. How big do they have to be before they flower?

Pod's still ripening Tanzen.. They should flower from around the time they're three years old.

Morning all!

Pam

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. Its really getting into autumn her now. Cold mornings with the sun deciding to appear from the clouds around lunchtime with little warmth. I love all the colors though and the bulbs that appear from nowhere.
I started moving some of my mulch yesterday. I had to open the heap a little anyway as it was getting a bit warm in the centre. You will see many haystack fires from this same excess heat where bales are stacked too soon .
Its amazing how much heat a pile of just mulch can generate.
Jean/moon. that was a very interesting and informative link there. Isnt it funny how people will blindly follow tradition even when its pointed out to mean nothing like it is supposed to. ?
I'm all for Easter egg hunts for kids , whatever the meaning . Life is to be enjoyed not spoilt by PC people. Let the kids have their childhood fun . They are forced to grow up far too quickly these days.
I love my vegetables and used to get my kids to eat as many as they would like. My youngest son hated them but now hes an adult he eats lots.
I have substituted in many recipes . I like zucchini and pineapple in my carrot cakes and also in things like pumpkin bread etc.
One can use a bit of imagination in most recipes , but some are afraid to try, simply following a recipe perfectly. Half the fun in cooking is to see what you can do yourself , adapting basic recipes.
Hello Anthony. Would you believe there is a small lilium longiflorum that has come up next to the old one and it has a bud
Gave me a surprise when I saw it.
Hello Chrissy, Marlene, Teresa, Tanzen and anyone else there.
Hello Louise and Charleen. I may have to come over for your lovely Spring and Summer while it gets cold here.
Pats for the girls and Charley.
I had better move and do something domestic . I have the little heater on under the desk here and it gets too nice to move. .
Have a great weekend and enjoy your gardens.
Taste some of this yummy German Chocolate Cake with your cuppa.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

I stumbled across that while researching some other things. I have always said organized religion took over pagan holidays so they could fill the pews...but that is just my random thoughts on it...Grin

Hope you all have a lovely weekend.

This native Louisiana Iris, Fulva, bloomed yesterday

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Brisbane, Australia

Hello and good morning all. The weekend is here, yeah! I'm looking forward to a lazy one, though we are hoping to go to the bromeliad show at Downey Park tomorrow. That is if Barry can walk. He's had an attack of gout. If not, well, maybe next time.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend, and that we see more sunshine than rain. Jean, a bit cool here this morning but will probably warm up again when the rain stops. Sunshine at the moment, but showers are predicted. Had a downpour yesterday while I was on the bus. The creek was normal when we went over it, but had broken over its banks when I came back two hours later. The heavens really opened and dropped their load in that short time. To make the trip even duller, the driver flew through raging water across the road way too fast, sending water over the roof, and bus parts got wet and the bus broke down. Lovely! It really was his fault, driving like a lunatic.

Karen

barmera, Australia

Good morning everyone. Firstly I would like to say thank you for all the birthday wishes. I had a wonderful day. I haven't got my camera yet as John couldn't find what i wanted up here. Probably be about another week now but that's neither here nor there. We had a wonderful roast with chocolate mud cake with sparkler candles on. Absolutely perfect weather, so pottered around in the SH and out the front most of the day. John has gone home now. I wish he lived closer. sigh. My cousin is on his way to Adelaide today so will call in for a cuppa on the way. He is going to fly to Perth on Monday and then fly back to Adelaide and travel up through the centre of SA. He's got 4 weeks off so is certainly cramming something into every minute. Well, the dirty clothes don't stop just because I'm 60 so had better go and do some washing. Thank you all again. Will be back later. Colleen

Glad you had a great time colleen ...nice to be spoilt.

So here in my garden not a lot going on but many leaves commencing to drop silently in the winds and rain.
Here the banana trees will show the damage from the awful weather ...the hail really tore them up and the wind has ripped what has remained,
The poor dear things still fruiting right of the second floor balcony.

Thumbnail by

Same applies to the Persimmon trees ...torn up pretty badly but still fruiting their heads off ...hundreds of them.
Here help yourself ...

Thumbnail by

re Easter yes it was a bit of a shamozzle really ...Rome ruled the Jewish people but compromised on the festivals and rituals to keep the peace. Since Christ was arrested and sentenced to be executed during that time ... they were given a choice of saving one person from his fate by the Roman Governor .
Because they were occupied by Rome the people were resentful and wanted someone to fight the invaders.
They saw Jesus as a man of peace, not of war ...hence the choice of Barabbus a man of violence was freed.
This is to explain why Easter and Christianity is linked.
This was what we were taught as children.
Well ...lots to do ...best be off and do it.
I hope everyone enjoys their weekend and don't forget day light saving ends whoo hoo (in our region anyway) tonight.

Sydney, Australia

Well ... it took some time but it appears I have found my way back! :)
I am being treated for an online game addiction .... seems I have been spending way too much time killing pixels!
Good to see plenty of familiar faces.

I have been in the garden maintaining, rather than constructing. Weeding at Sussex is a full time job now .. I am winning thanks to sugar cane mulch.
Shadehouse built, irrigation working well ... I switch between bore and tanks .. a few new gardens dug! No more possum problems so no winter nights on the roof .. geez I miss those weird nights! (NOT!!!)

How has everyone been here? Anyhooooo ... will be around a bit more often .. (is the plan)
Cheers
Steve

Thumbnail by Budgieman
barmera, Australia

Hi Steve, glad to see you back in here. Been a bit strange with only one bloke's contributions. not to say that Anthony hasn't kept us amused. You've been absent for quite a while. How are all the geraniums and hippies going? Colleen

Sydney, Australia

Hey Colleen!
Yes .. Anthony is only half a bloke anyway! ;)

The geraniums are going great! The sticky cuttings you gave me are all over the place! Is a fun plant!
The broms are doing well and the Hippies do their thing!

I noticed as I wound my way through that we lost Brian ..... I am truly sorry for your loss.

I will try to keep up .. to represent the 'fairer sex' ha ha ... have missed you guys!

Quote from themoonhowl :
Thank you Chrissy. One of my DH's coworkers, Mahendra, gave me a number of vegetable based recipes to take with me. We tried a couple, but, Aidan,4 and Ethan 15 months (last summer) weren't quite ready. DD Jan has been trying to introduce a "new food" a couple times a month.I will send her this link as this looks like something they just might like. GRIN As kids, we were required to read 1 hour for every hour spent watching TV. I will always be grateful to my Mom for that....not that there was much to watch back in the 50's-60's anyway. Grin

As are so many Christian rites Teresa...I have to laugh when I read stories of that nature, then shake my head at the foolishness of some folks
. This link has some interesting info regarding this 2nd major religious holy day.

http://www.gnmagazine.org/issues/gn63/easter.htm

Hope you all have a pleasant weekend

That rose is just beautiful...do you know the name of it? Thanks

Hi Marleneann. That rose is Rosa 'Gemini'. and it lives up to its' name....it is as mercurial as the sign....grin. The description says pink, cream and coral and the first flush of blooms was indeed tri-colored. Subsequent blooms have all been different with varying shades of the original. This DG link shows the variety of bloom colors. It is a cross between Rosa Anne Morrow Lindbergh and Rosa New Year

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64673/

http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/gardening/PD/30511/

Steve!!-if i was a "full bloke"-would that mean i would weigh in at 200 kg,..,glad to see you finally got out of your bondage!!!!!!! I have been in the seed vortex's today,creating some order and sanity[if possible] in a confined space,seeing what i have got and havnt got,.,.pulling up weeds,a bit of fertilising/mulching and top dressing,.,.[all necessary in lily growing-did the same to the daffodil boxes too!it looks quite good out there!!i know ive said it once already,but i must lift some bulbs soon,.,.god'what a job'-still have to locate some ,''theyre here somewhere''! my spine told me i had done enough for today ,'well,before 4xxxx time',. Jean,that lily species has a tendancy to do that, just snip the bud off to give the bulb extra size for next year.,.i have 2 big seed pods on mine,'crossed with Medusa',actually,i've planted a lot of my own 'seed crosses' this year,..,,.,.., Hope everyones happy and well and enjoying the weekend-anthony

Thumbnail by g_whizz
Sydney, Australia

Hey ya Anthony! Still in bondage actually! Quite enjoy it! ;)
Great to see the Lillies and 4xxxx again! Strange mix ... but hey ... if it works for you! Would like to get some of those lillies one day ... when Tas becomes part of Australia!
Here's cheers big ears :) eeeek ... time to mow before beer-o-clock!
Later
Steve

Merino, Australia

Hello Steve. Great to see you back in civilisation here. well , as civilised as we can be anyway. You can keep Anthony from being swamped by we females.
Been out moving some of that lovely mulch. I had to confess to hubby that although I really really appreciate his thinking of me when he saw the chaps making the mulch, I dont need that large pile. After all these years, the garden has sort of grown over all the bare spaces where I wanted mulch. He was very good about it and offered to help me move some where I do want a bit and we'll spread the rest out around the garage and sheds where the ground gets slippery when wet.
Anthony you have been a busy boy. dont overdo it though. I will go out and snip that bud off my lilium.
I have to get down to the fern house and clean up my zantedeschias now they are done. Only one flower this year, They are a big disappointment as I was sold the wrong colors in the first place. They only flowered the first year so I'll get rid of them, I much prefer the liliums which are most reliable.
Better get back to the mulch moving for another hour or so.
Been a fine day after a cold and showery start.
Jean.

Brisbane, Australia

Thanks Gardengal. I have a 2yr black bat plant recently acquired from Paradise distributors. I also have seeds for the Giant bat plant. it would be lovely to get some of both to germinate.
My Dragonfruit is going crazy and the war is on between me and the wildlife for the fruit. We harvested 5kg of fruit this morning...yum! I can't wait for my red one to grow large enough to bear fruit, thats the best one I think.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2011 11:02 PM

Thumbnail by Tanzen
Christchurch, New Zealand

Hi Steve - nice to see you back.
My brother has a t'shirt you might find amusing...
has ' I see dead pixels' on it

Hi Steve ...we have missed your adventures.
poor Anthony has been surrounded by women here in the tea room, he is a brave fellow I think.
Have you retired to Sussex Inlet now ???
Anthony ...you have company again mate, I bet the beer will be gone from the fridge in the morning.

Jean what a shame ...mine bloomed very well perhaps they need the sun ...mine bloomed much better once I scattered them outside, they self seed and there are masses of them coming up. I just call them coloured calla lillies -zantedeschias are a mouthful and they were always called calla lillies while I was growing up.

Moonhowl the Gemini rose is lovely.

Tanzen good to hear you are enjoying your Dragon Fruit ...I am a great believer in growing our own food.
Do you grow any other fruits?

Well I hope you remember to wind your clocks back tonight ...where applicable.
Enjoy that extra hour tomorrow morning, who will really stay in bed that extra hour I wonder.

se qld, Australia

Ah yes, the old online games can be a bit adictive Steve, question is, are you winning?

Congratulation to all you southerners who have finally gotten around to losing daylight saving again, for a few weeks, at least. It really does seem they've gotten a bit extreme with the start and finish dates now.

Jean, if you have a look at the base of your liliums you will probably find tiny little baby bulbs growing from the stem. These can be gently removed and planted out and will grow to flowering size in a couple of years.

In the process of putting on the new kitchen benchtop this weekend. Lots of fun and games. The kitchen has been in the process of remodelling for a couple of years now so it will be nice to actually have a real benchtop.

Enjoy what's left of the weekend, all.

Pam

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. I do like coming in and seeing what you have all been up to. It is lovely to get up when its daylight instead of pitch black. I dont mind in the summer . A lovely day yesterday after the cold start and similar today.
Chrissy, I may take your advice and simply throw those callas around outside near the liliums. Maybe they will learn how to flower from them.
Pam, I have lots of those little lilium bulblets and am going to pot some to keep near the back door. I wont remove many as I want the liliums to make nice clumps. . I will have a nice potted lot to move around and lots in the garden the.
Anthony, you will have Steve now to keep you from being outnumbered by all the ladies. How are you getting on with your lilium potting ? The vortex will be overflowing. Good luck with those crosses of your own.
Hello Jean/moon, Pam, Karen and Colleen. Also Teresa and Elaine.
Tanzen, I tried growing dragon fruit just for the curiosity value but its way too cold here . The plants grow quite well then simply rot away in the cold. I still have pieces there which are quite green hanging on dry bits of stems. I wont bother again . They are far more fussy about the cold than my epis.
Hello Louise. It wont be long before you are back in NH. The girls will love getting to know the smells all over again. Oops , that didnt sound right. I do mean nice smells.
Charleen, I hope you are also enjoying some lovely spring weather in your garden.
I am going to be spreading the rest of the mulch today, so had better get out and do the washing first.
Have a great day and get out in those gardens.
Chocolate and Rum Truffles as a nice treat for the fellas. Ladies you may also take one or two if they leave any.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.