Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: TEA ROOM #86, 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: TEA ROOM #86

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of TEA  ROOM  #86
77sunset wrote:
Good morning everyone. Yesterday turned out to be quite a bit warmer than the weekend, Still jumper weather but the rain stayed away and we had lots of sun. I was out measuring the old shadehouse where the broms are and one of the cheap plastic greenhouses should fit nicely in the space when I pull the old frame down. I will be watching as we do the job because there have been a couple of large huntsmen living in there somewhere.
The only drawback to using the greenhouse will be that I cannot hang anything from the frame. It is just not that strong. I will have to have a think about making some sort of frame that can be free standing along one side. Maybe not to hang plants but at least make it high so they can be seen as a sort of wall. . A project in the planning stages. As is usual with me, it will evolve as I go along.
Hello Anthony, like you, I am always aware of the different plants needing that extra boost from the old leaves, so always leave them on even if it looks yukky for a while.
I cringe when I see people running around chopping of tops etc when the flowers are done then they wonder why the plants dont look as good the next year.
I am also a great fan of the ever faithful B&B plus potash . These go on everything in the early spring. I will also use some dynamic lifter and a touch of lime for those plants that need it.
I love early spring when one just wanders around tossing fertilser everywhere. Makes you feel good feeding the babies.
Hello Sue. To look at those plastic greenhouses, just go on to eBay and type in greenhouse. You will find several sellers. You may be luckier than I am, living up there, because you may be closer to one that you can pick up from. They are a lot cheaper now than I have seen before .
My first one is still going well but the second was a bit different and deteriorated in the sun a lot more quickly. It also didnt fit over the frame as well . I use steel posts to tie the frame down on the 4 corners and I put a piece of shadecloth over the top with ropes which also keep the plastic from lifting too much. .
It a very handy thing to have for special plants and growing seeds , cuttings etc. . I use the little plastic mini greenhouses ( from the cheapie shops) for seeds etc and put them out in the big greenhouse when big enough.
At the moment there is a large self sown tomato that has taken over the floor space. I carefully step around it but I have no idea where it came from. I leave it because there are tomatoes on it. .
The plastic from the brom house roof will go inside the old greenhouse between the outer covering and the frame. It will do as a bit of protection from too much rain on the stapelias etc.
Hello Teresa, If you keep shaking over there you may end up rocking and rolling all the way over to us. We will have to adopt you all as Aussies then.
Hello Pam, Elaine and Karen.
Karen, I found any vegies here went to seed quickly too. I have parsley everywhere that always goes to seed very quickly. It used to be lovely to have all the nice plants to pick bunches from. Makes a nice garden plant anyway with the large seed heads.
Hello Charleen, thats a lovely iris. Who cares what the name is as long as you like it.
Hello Chrissy, Dianne and Colleen.
Hello Louise. pats for the girls.
I am off to see what my new epi flower is doing. Its quite unexpected to have one now.
lots of brug flowers coming on too.
Have a great day and enjoy this Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Jean.