Zones 8-9 Spr/Sum 2011 Veggie Gardening is UNDERWAY Part III

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Janet,
I find the best way to post multiple photos, is to create a collage in Picasa picture editor, then upload that pic. It's a FREE program you can download to your computer. It's been getting more and more user friendly since I first started using it.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Or, like this...

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

wow ... very very nice ... keep posting

Don't get too excited, Drthor!

Those collages are from my 2009 fall/winter garden. I didn't do a fall/winter garden in 2010, and this upcoming season will be my first since relocating. Hopefully, I'll have at least ONE raised bed to grow in, for the very first time of growing in-ground.

All that you see in the collages (except the beets) was grown in 5-gallon eBuckets, or patented Earthboxes.

Linda

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Where's your king size cabbage pic, Linda??

Steph,
I think people are getting weary of that old picture!

Ok. ONE more time!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

For scale...

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

My harevest yesterday: record of 20 cukes !
Look at the first on the left: it is a MISSILE!! huge ... I don't know how I did miss it ... I just wish cucumbers were red and easier to spot !!
yummy !
I have also picked lots of green peppers. I cut them and freeze for my GUMBO.
I feel that the pepper plants are under a lot of stress during those 100 degrees days !!
2 Okras ...
and a few tomatoes ... still
also ... some little zucchini for my risotto today !
Enjoy

Thumbnail by drthor
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I skipped picking anything yesterday but here is my harvest from the two days before that:

Thumbnail by bariolio
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

And,

Drthor, you have inspired me to take silly veggie pics!! Fun!

Thumbnail by bariolio
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Janet, is that spinach or what?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It is swiss chard that I planted in a couple of pots that sit in the shade--gets bright indirect sun. It's behind the garage under the eve. Got two Black Seeded Simpson lettuce that popped up too! Seeds must have come up enough to sprout. Not much lettuce but it's fun to see them grow in this heat!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Briolio,
Your Swiss Chard is looking great. Mine's in the sun, I'm wondering if I should move it. (It's also in a pot-doesn't look burned, but it isn't putting out leaves as heartily as I had hoped. It has great drainage and I water it.

Swiss Chard likes the cool. It'll take off when the temps start changing.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Good to know, Linda. I am fond of the stuff and would like more (guess I'd better plant some more!)

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Great picture BARIOLO
By the way my Swiss Chard produces in the cool and in the hot.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I am not harvesting many zucchini ... but the plant is still alive ... I don't know for how long.
I am so scared that I keep harvesting baby zucchini ...
This is parthenocarpic PARTHENON (by Johnny's)

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

The pepper plants are producing lots of fruits.
Not really large thought ...

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

This is the first year that I am trying to grow "COWPEAS"
when do I harvest them?
here are some pods. This variety is California Blackeye Pea (from Baker Seeds: http://rareseeds.com/vegetablesa-c/cowpeas/california-blackeye-pea.html)

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I have selected this variety because I wanted to grow around my A frame swing.
Well.. they are growing in all possible directions ...a ahhhhhhhaaaa

Thumbnail by drthor
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I grew pink eye purple hull peas last year and the hull turned purple, so I'm no help. I like it when plants help us out by turning colors! LOL

Carrollton, TX(Zone 8a)

drthor
In the north and mid-west they are called cow peas because farmers feed them to their cows. In TEXAS and the South, we call them black-eyed peas and there are purple hull peas that are even better and consider them to be a delicacy, especially the pot liquor that is the juice that is produced when you cook them and is used to dunk your cornbread in. I don't know what they call them in Italy, but since you now live in TEXAS, you too should consider them a delicacy and they are perfect for a vegan diet (if you don't cook them with some bacon to season them).

See recipe:
http://www.mommyskitchen.net/2008/09/hot-water-cornbread-purple-hull-peas.html

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the information on black-eyed peas and recipe.
I will try to wait a little bit more before I harvest those pods ... and let's see ...

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

My harvest today.
Still lots of delicious cukes
4 zucchini ... yeeahhh ... those are from the plants I have scatered around my flower garden to distract the SVB. yeeeahh
4 okras
few eggplants ... flee beetles are attaching and the heat is making the plant under stree a lot. so I am picking small fruits
few tomatoes ... maybe the last one of the season

Thumbnail by drthor
Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

My harvest for the day. These are the first yellow pear tomatoes I've grown down here. That is a mini pumpkin I tried just to see and it took the whole plant to make it. Definately try them during "normal" season.

Dane

Thumbnail by dmtom
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

2 days ago harvest.

Thumbnail by bariolio
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

And since my bell peppers are at the end of the garden that gets full west sun, we put shade cloth up. Hopefully they will last through the fall. I just picked a purdy red bp tonight :)

Thumbnail by bariolio
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

wonderful harvest.
Your eggplants are beautiful ... no flee beetles damage ... very nice

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Very tiny harvest today but my garden is pretty tiny and it's pretty hot out! Question: I know I waited too long to pick the larger okra pod, but did I pick the little ones too soon?

Mindy

Thumbnail by Mindyrecycles

Mindy,
Pick your okra between 4-5" long. The larger one in the pic looks about the right size...

Linda

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I agree. Good job, though! Any veggies at this point is an accomplishment! Janet

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9b)

Okay, thank you, friends! We had fried okra last week and it was a little stringy so I know those were too "old". It's good to have an actual measurement in mind.

Mindy

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I like to pick mine when they're 3"-4", young and tender.

Carrollton, TX(Zone 8a)

Since we all seem to be harvesting okra, now would be a good time for a drthor okra recipe. I tried her grilled eggplant recipe and it was delicious. Nothing fried please.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2011 4:50 AM

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

hrp50 ... I need an Okra recipe from y'all ...
I am from Italy ... we don't have Okra ... maybe now with all of those African immigrants ... but not when I grew up there.
Right now I keep harvesting Okras filling bags in the freezer to use for my Gumbo.
So I will be waiting for recipes from y'all ..
I am glad you did enjoy the eggplants. I loooove them. You could also freeze the grileld eggplant like I suggested, but do not use oil.
When you take them out from the freezer just use the "defrost" option on your microwave a heat them up, then you will add teh oil. Don't thaw ... otherwise they will turn mushy !!

Carrollton, TX(Zone 8a)

I just googled "recipe for Italian style okra" and found this recipe which sounds good: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1950,153175-226197,00.html.

But I like spicy food so I also found this recipe for Cajun Okra and Tomato Gumbo that I will try and report back: http://www.nolacuisine.com/2006/09/04/okra-tomatoes-recipe/

Fortunately I can use okra from my garden; unfortunately I will have to use store bought tomatoes since I got none growing in my garden, ripe or otherwise.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

thanks
It seems that my Okra plants are starting to produce more after I cut down the bottom leaves.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yum! I copied both of those recipes. Have any homemade tasso? heh, heh! Need to go visit my brothers in New Iberia!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

My harvest today

Thumbnail by drthor
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

drthor, that settles it. I'm going to go back and reread every post you ever made, in hopes of learning all your secrets! Wonderful harvest.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.