Interested in oriental lilies? Going to the plant swap?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

This thread started out being for oriental lilies from Sunshine, but we are also ordering astilbe from BloomingBulb and possibly phlox also. What a bunch of enablers!

Sunshine Bulbs has some nice prices on oriental lilies ("pre-cooled," which means we can plant them in spring for summer blooms), but they sell in bags of 25... I don't want 25 bulbs of one variety, but I'd love 5 or 10, and I thought if anybody else wanted some also we could split an order. Orders over $100 get free shipping, so that's an additional incentive to place a group order! http://www.sunshineflowerbulbs.com/default.htm

Here's their oriental lily page: http://www.sunshineflowerbulbs.com/LILIES_.DUTCH+ORIENTAL+LILIES_.178_.cdj60.htm

This is an offer for people planning to be at the spring plant swap at Aspen Hill (Lucketts, VA, May 21) or for anybody willing to pick up their bulbs from me here in Frederick.

They have lots of other bulbs/tubers/corms, but I'd like to keep this simple for now and just do oriental lilies. If somebody else wants to do a similar order from them for gladiolus or begonias or oxalis or whatever, that would be great. If there's a lot of interest in various items from this vendor, I'll contact them about getting a co-op page set up for us instead (which is really a "group buy," not a "co-op" by current DG definition), so stay tuned.

I will keep a running list of the varieties, prices, and number of bulbs available on the next post.

I'll update as often as I can, but ordering will be a "first come, first served" sort of thing. If 25 bulbs of a variety have already been accounted for, you can still post a request for X number of that variety in case we manage to get to 50 bulbs (2 packs) of it. If 30 bulbs are ordered on this thread, I will only order 1 pack (25), and the last person to post their request won't get their 5 bulbs.

Since this didn't get too crazy, we'll do some additional group orders on this same thread. We've been discussing BloomingBulb's overstock sale, mostly Astilbe, and I'll be placing this order soon (but they've been good in the past about adding to my orders for me before they ship, so even if you think you're "missed" go ahead and post what you might want.)

We're also looking at splitting some of the Phlox from BloomingBulb. When you order in bags of 15, they are almost half the cost per plant as ordering bags of 3. :-)

(edited to remove details that were no longer pertinent)

This message was edited Apr 16, 2011 1:39 PM

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ORIENTAL LILY VARIETY list for group order
(the number before each variety is the number of available bulbs remaining in a bag of 25)
These have been ordered as shown below, with the changes discussed on this thread. Stargazer was gone, so we got Star Fighter instead (which I think will be stunning), and we dropped Pandora.

0 (or 25) 'Acapulco' (16-18 cm, $1.46 per bulb) 10 for Jill, 10 for Terri, 5 for Holly
0 'Dizzy' (16-18 cm, $1.68 per bulb) 10 for Jill, 10 for Terri, 5 for Holly
0 'Stargazer' (16-18 cm, $1.30 per bulb) 15 for Jill, 5 for Holly, 5 for Marlene
0 'Star Fighter' (16-18 cm, per bulb) 15 for Jill, 5 for Holly, 5 for Marlene
5 'Pandora' (16-18 cm, $1.46 per bulb) 10 (or15) for Jill, 5 for Holly, 5 for Marlene
15 'Indiana' (16-18 cm, $1.46 per bulb) 10 for Jill,
0 'Tiger Woods' (14-16 cm, $1.46 per bulb) 10 for Terri, 5 for Jill, 10 for Holly

OK, we've started using this thread for other group orders.
Here's the list for astilbe from blooming bulb: https://www.bloomingbulb.com/c-5482-astilbe.aspx
This order has been placed. These astilbes were clearance priced in bags of 5; prices below are for 1 plant.

You can see that there are a few unclaimed plants; in addition, I would be willing to give up plants from those I've ordered if you see something you really love. They are dwarf varieties except for 'Europa'.

0/15 Astilbe - Simplicifolia 'Henny Graafland' ($1.93 each)6 for me, 6 for Holly, 3 for Nisi
0/15 Astilbe - Key West ($2.31 each) 9 for me, 6 for Holly
2/5 Astilbe - Key Largo ($2.14 each)3 (or5) for Holly
1/10 Astilbe - Europa (will check invoice for price)6 (or7) for me, 3 for Holly
1/10 Astilbe - Hyacinth ($1.93 each)6 (or7) for me, 3 for Holly

And here's the list for splitting bags of phlox from BloomingBulb:
(the first number is how many are still available out of 15)

3/15 'Laura' 6 for me, 6 for Holly, 3 for ?
6/15 'David'6 for me, (nope, David got sold out)
12/15 'Eva Cullum 3 for me (maybe more)

Should we just order 15 'Laura' for now? Shipping is free, so we can order more later if we want.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2011 3:05 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

reserved for administrative purposes

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I can't resist 'Stargazer' lilies. We don't have to order 25 of this one, so I'll get some regardless, but the price is better for 25.

I've grown 'Acapulco' before, and it's stunning... pink with a hot pink stripe and freckles. I seem to remember it's a somewhat shorter variety, maybe more like 30-36" rather than the 44" in the Sunshine description.

Shorter yet and also eye-catching, check out 'Dizzy', another that I've grown before. I guess you can tell I like stripes and freckles! I'm going to plant this one in front of the Stargazers, so the band down the center of the petal picks up the deeper tones on the 'Stargazer' blooms.

Others that are tempting me:

'Star Fighter' is basically a newer version of the classic 'Stargazer', with a nice white edge and good substance.

I love the yellow centers on 'Pandora' (pink) and 'Indiana' (red-lilac), and I think they'd make a great combo. 'Indiana' is available in smaller bags also, so I'll probably order some even if we don't make it to 25.

'Tiger Edition' just looks cool!

So, what is tempting you??

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

http://sunshineflowerbulbs.com/
For temptation purposes

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Sally! That's what I get for posting late at night... how could I have forgotten the vendor link?? I'll add it above, too.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sounds like a plan. Keeping consistent with your tracking entries:

5 'Acapulco' (16-18 cm) 10 for Jill, 10 for Terri
0 'Dizzy' (16-18 cm) 15 for Jill, 10 for Terri

and adding interest in 'Tiger Woods'
15 'Tiger Woods' (16-18 cm) 10 for Terri

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks! I do like 'Tiger Woods' also, and although it's a smaller bulb it's also cheaper ($1.40 each). I should probably put the per-bulb price in my top post also, but it's easy to find on the web site, too... all of the ones we're looking at so far are less than $2 per bulb (Stargazers I think are $1.25 if we get 25), and I'm seeing them elsewhere at $2-3 per bulb (sold singly or in packs of 3).

If anybody else wants 'Dizzy', go ahead and post... with enough interest, we'll order another pack, and if somebody just wants a couple I can spare a few!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

5 'Acapulco'
5 Dizzy' (if you can get takers for the other 20)
5 'Stargazer'
5 'Pandora'
10 'Tiger Woods

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If I can't get takers for the other 20, I can spare 5 'Dizzy' for you, Holly. Not to worry.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Heya! I'll try to get this order placed tomorrow.. will get 25 of everything except 'Indiana', which I'll just drop since I'm getting some 'TigerWoods' instead.

If anybody is interested in astilbe, Blooming Bulb has some varieties at a great discount right now, including some pretty compact ones. I've got $48.20 worth in my cart, and for an additional $4 shipping we could add up to $100, so let me know if you want to piggyback on my order.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here's the link to their "overstock sale" page: https://www.bloomingbulb.com/c-5869-overstock-sale.aspx

I've had some really nice plants & bulbs from them in the past... very tempted to get some "free shipping" phlox again, might start another thread for them to see if people want to split some 15-plant packs (price per plant drops by nearly half when you buy 15 instead of 3).

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Holly, would you mind if we dropped 'Pandora' also? I'm just not sure I want 20 of them, and I'll have plenty of digging to do with the others (not to mention those astilbe from Blooming Bulb that were just too tempting). LOL Next year, when the beds are (hopefully!) in better shape, I'll be looking for additional varieties and for some Orienpets also!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Go ahead and drop it Jill. Heading over to look at Blooming bulbs site. I could use some dwarf astibles.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, I'll wait to hear from you before placing the BB order. I think 4 of their sale astilbes are compact varieties -- Hyacinth, Key West, Key Largo, and a delicate little white-pink one with a long name LOL. I didn't get Key Largo because the photo made it look peachy, so instead I got a set of one that's taller with white-pink blooms. And I got some spider wort.. I have a purple kind that's doing well, and they had a light blue with a darker eye variety on sale.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Just got home from work a bit ago. Where are the free shipping phlox? Have to go back to see if I can find that, too.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'll take 6 each of the
Astilbe - Simplicifolia 'Henny Graafland'
Astilbe - Key West
Astilbe - Key Largo

3 each of the
Astilbe - Europa
Astilbe - Hyacinth

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Have you placed the order yet? If not, I'm interested in five of the Henny Graafland.

It's no big deal if you have already ordered. Just saw your mention of astilbe today. Am not even familiar with them, but we do have a shady spot under a tree...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Holly, they sell by 5's. How about

5 each of
Astilbe - Simplicifolia 'Henny Graafland'
Astilbe - Key West
Astilbe - Key Largo

Or, if you're wanting to plant in groups of 3, maybe we can split 15 each of Key West and Henry... I would take 9 Henry (leaving you with 6) if you will take 9 Key West (leaving me with 6).

With the Key Largo, I think you're just stuck with a group of 5. :-)

I can accommodate you on 3 each of Europa & Hyacinth, because I'll take 2 more of each of those for myself.

Nisi, I can add 5 Henry's for you, no problem. You're planning to come to the swap at Aspen Hill, right? Astilbe do fine in shade, although I think they like it more moist than dry, so if your "under a tree" means competing with thirsty maple roots you might need to find a different spot.

I never much cared for Astilbe until I saw them in Philly a few years ago, and I realized that I didn't like them planted in big groups but loved them scattered around for an almost woodland-wildflower look.

I'll see where this takes our total.. I think once we're over $150, shipping is 13%, which is a better deal. :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK, had another thought about the astilbes... Nisi, since you're just trying them, would you just as soon have only 3 of the Henry's? If you want 5 Henry's, that's fine also, I'll add them... or I could slide you one Europa and one Hyacinth to try from my share of the list below.

Here's what's in my shopping cart now

15 Astilbe - Simplicifolia 'Henny Graafland' 6 for me, 6 for Holly, 3 for Nisi
15 Astilbe - Key West 9 for me, 6 for Holly
5 Astilbe - Key Largo 5 for Holly
10 Astilbe - Europa 7 for me, 3 for Holly
10 Astilbe - Hyacinth 7 for me, 3 for Holly

We're between $100 and $150 ($121.20, with my tradescantia), so we'll be sharing $18.95 in shipping. We can add $28.80 to our order without additional shipping cost...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Er, make that $20.50 remaining without paying additional shipping.. I just noticed the other tradescantia ('Valor') was magenta rather than the purple I have already, so I had to add it also. ;-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Lookd good to me. I'm easy. Now I still didn't see those phlox?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

go to "spring planting" or "free shipping" from their left-hand menu for the phlox..

oh heck, let me find them for you, you know I like to enable.. https://www.bloomingbulb.com/c-5498-phlox.aspx

they have both tall and creeping varieties. you can see the price gets much better if you order 15 at a crack... I'm especially tempted by 'Laura', 'David', and 'Bright Eyes'. If you want 5 and I want 5, I bet we can probably find somebody to take the other 5 of a variety...

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Three of Henry G for me is fine. I plan to come to the swap but will have to leave early.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh My! How did I miss this opportunity? Critter have you ordered as yet? I'm rushing over to the site now to see what I can see. I definitely would like some of these bulbs. Not sure if I can make it to the plant swap, but Critter, I've been to Frederick twice in the past week to get some of that great compost in your area.
Let Me Know if I'm too:( Late
Cheers!
Marlene

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Marlene, you're not too late. You can always order on your own, of course, but I think you'll save on shipping if you order with us.

OT I know, but are you getting your compost from Bussard Bros? I get both compost and mulch from them -- they deliver, but I don't know if their delivery area goes as far as SS.

Hello Again,
I went to the website, fell in love with some of these lilies; reread your posts, and realized that unfortunately, yes, looks like I'm too late.
But in case I mis-read! I would definitely be interested in any lilies you may have left.

Thank Again!
Marlene

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok checked out the Phlox. I have bright eyes and david only one I would be interested in is Laura. I would take 5 of those. I would like more creeping phlox but the price is too high on those.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

What about 'Eva Cullum' instead of Bright Eyes?

Marlene, I can slide 5 stargazers your way, and if you want 10 (or even 5) Pandora, I'll add that one back in. If you want to lobby for a different variety to split, type quickly! ;-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Don't think so just the Laura for me.

Jill, I'm typing as fast as I can, what is everyone doing awake and coherent at 1:30 in the morning? I got a late start on the forum today, (I was busy tweaking and retweaking my resume). Yes, Please, Yes, to the 5 Stargazers, will let you know about Pandora soon as I get to the website.
Back in a minute.
Cheers!
Marlene
OT - Oh, about the compost. I went to the landfill. Compost = .75 cents per 100 lbs. Great Stuff, no delivery.

Ok, Its me again. Having some trouble with my computer (probably cause, I'm trying to do too many things at one time)

Jill,
I will take 5 of the Pandora as well as the Stargazer.

This whole experience will "learn me" to stay on top of this very active forum!!

Cheers!
Marlene

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Marlene, I've got you down for 5 Stargazer and 5 Pandora. If you want a few more lilies, let me know, because I can plant in groups of 3 rather than groups of 5 (translates to: I could spare 1 Acapulco, 1 Dizzy, 3 Stargazers, and 2 Tiger Woods from my order... just let me know by May. :-)

Jill, thanks for your generous offer Jill. I will accept your offer of the 3 additional stargazer lilies (if you are absolutely positively positive that you can spare them). I'm really attracted to fragrant white lilies though. Casa Blanca etc., Soooo... If anyone is interested in in these please let me know.

I've never grown from bulbs before and didn't realize that they needed pre-cooling!

Cheers!
Marlene

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Tell you what we'll do... we'll wait on the 'Pandora' for now (we're well over the minimum for free shipping without it) and try to drum up interest for a second $100+ order. You sounded a little reluctant to jump on the pink Pandora, and maybe we can drum up some more interest in it elsewhere as well as some interest in a white variety for you. I think there are a couple of surviving white ones in my patch, but I'm sure I could still be tempted... and didn't I see a pretty white one with a yellow star?

I looked over their list again now, and I'm liking Pompei (light yellow star, would go great with Pandora) and Crystal Blanca... which white ones were you especially wanting? If you'll take up to 15 of a variety, I'll go ahead and add it, because I know I can find room for 5 or 10. If others are interested, we could drop our numbers and share the extras.

I'm also looking at their gladiolas now, for that second round order...

There are some that i think would make stunning combinations, but even if I order just 2 varieties for myself, that's 200 bulbs, so splitting some sounds really good to me, LOL. I don't think I'd have any trouble finding room for 25 of a variety, could probably give away another 25, but that still only accounts for half a bag of corms... so, who else would like some glads?

If you like pink, check out Robinetta and Elvira. I think they'd make a stunning combo.

lavender & purple combo, maybe Charm and Velvet Eyes together

mauve & purple, what about Windsong and Vista?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

No problem rearranging the split on the Stargazers, but it looks like there might be a problem with the supply on them... that variety seems to have vanished from the website. I'll try calling on Monday, but my guess is that there was a supply problem (i've heard lilies were hard hit last year). I have no problem substituting the quite similar 'Star Fighter' if that's OK with y'all. ??

Hey Jill,
Sounds OK to me to drop Pandora, but I remember that someone else wanted some of these. I particularly like Casa Blanca because I recall their great fragrance. I'm not familiar with the others that you mentioned. I'm good with substituting Star Fighter for Stargazer, I wonder if Star Fighter is also fragrant.
As for taking 15 bulbs .... how much room do lilies need? I know I can give some away though so this might work!
OK, running back to the website to look at the other varieties you mentioned!
Cheers!
M

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm pretty sure all the oriental lily varieties have that amazing fragrance, at least all the ones I've ever come across did... Check out their description for 'Crystal Blanca' -- I thought it sounded like an improved 'Casa Blanca'. Have you looked at their page of Dutch Oriental lilies? http://www.sunshineflowerbulbs.com/LILIES_.DUTCH+ORIENTAL+LILIES_.178_.cdj60.htm

I didn't want you ordering the 'Pandora' just because it was what was left, because you said something about not especially liking pink. Let me know if you want them or not.

Space... hmm, I'm thinking 3 bulbs planted together would make a clump about 18 inches across, 5 bulbs maybe more like 2 feet. Sound about right, Holly?

Hey Jill,
Thanks for the info. (You were right, about Pandora by the way; I wasn't too excited about them.) I'm on the web now trying to get some info about lilies, I didn't know just how much I didn't know!! Meantime, if you need to place your order please don't let me hold you up. I am very happy with the Stargazer/fighter. I don't think I have enough room for a total of 20 lilies:)
Cheers!,
Marlene

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Heya! Just realized I hadn't updated the top post since ordering the lilies and the astilbes, so I took care of that.

Holly, do you want to order a set of 15 Phlox 'Laura' from BloomingBulb? You said you wanted 6, and I wanted 6, and if nobody else wants the other 3 (Becky might), then I'll take them (if I plant 3 per pot/spot, I'll have 3 nice big plants). Let me know if you'd rather have me order them... I don't want to end up with 30 LOL.

They sold out on 'David'. But they're still offering free shipping on the other phlox. :-)

Marlene, I did get the 'Star Fighter', and I dropped 'Pandora'. I think maybe I'll wait on ordering others, see how we like these and maybe we'll do a big lily order from Sunshine or elsewhere this fall. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.