Photo by Melody

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Interested in oriental lilies? Going to the plant swap?, 1 by critterologist

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright critterologist

Subject: Interested in oriental lilies? Going to the plant swap?

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Interested in oriental lilies?  Going to the plant swap?
critterologist wrote:
This thread started out being for oriental lilies from Sunshine, but we are also ordering astilbe from BloomingBulb and possibly phlox also. What a bunch of enablers!

Sunshine Bulbs has some nice prices on oriental lilies ("pre-cooled," which means we can plant them in spring for summer blooms), but they sell in bags of 25... I don't want 25 bulbs of one variety, but I'd love 5 or 10, and I thought if anybody else wanted some also we could split an order. Orders over $100 get free shipping, so that's an additional incentive to place a group order! http://www.sunshineflowerbulbs.com/default.htm

Here's their oriental lily page: http://www.sunshineflowerbulbs.com/LILIES_.DUTCH ORIENTAL LI...

This is an offer for people planning to be at the spring plant swap at Aspen Hill (Lucketts, VA, May 21) or for anybody willing to pick up their bulbs from me here in Frederick.

They have lots of other bulbs/tubers/corms, but I'd like to keep this simple for now and just do oriental lilies. If somebody else wants to do a similar order from them for gladiolus or begonias or oxalis or whatever, that would be great. If there's a lot of interest in various items from this vendor, I'll contact them about getting a co-op page set up for us instead (which is really a "group buy," not a "co-op" by current DG definition), so stay tuned.

I will keep a running list of the varieties, prices, and number of bulbs available on the next post.

I'll update as often as I can, but ordering will be a "first come, first served" sort of thing. If 25 bulbs of a variety have already been accounted for, you can still post a request for X number of that variety in case we manage to get to 50 bulbs (2 packs) of it. If 30 bulbs are ordered on this thread, I will only order 1 pack (25), and the last person to post their request won't get their 5 bulbs.

Since this didn't get too crazy, we'll do some additional group orders on this same thread. We've been discussing BloomingBulb's overstock sale, mostly Astilbe, and I'll be placing this order soon (but they've been good in the past about adding to my orders for me before they ship, so even if you think you're "missed" go ahead and post what you might want.)

We're also looking at splitting some of the Phlox from BloomingBulb. When you order in bags of 15, they are almost half the cost per plant as ordering bags of 3. :-)

(edited to remove details that were no longer pertinent)

This message was edited Apr 16, 2011 1:39 PM