2011 Spring Plant Swap in Lucketts, VA - May 21

Crozet, VA

This is all very interesting. About the same time I posted something here about the Sea Oats, I went in to the back garden one evening last week and noticed the stand was gone. I looked over the fence and there they lay. John had decided without discussing with me that they should be gone. If I hadn't just read that you hated yours so much Gita, I would have been a bit more miffed than I was. He doesn't know that I have a much smaller stand of them hiding in a bed out front......that is unless when I check on that bed, they are gone too. hahahaha

I have another dilemma that I thought I would throw out for this group and get some advice if anyone has any. NUT GRASS and what to do about it? John dug up the spot where it is the worst in our front flower bed and evidently didn't get all the roots and things because once again it is in the same area, thick as can be. Any ideas?

John just awoke from his nap and asked what I was writing. I was telling him the Sea Oats story and he was shocked and sorrowful that Gita had given them to us and he didn't want to kick a gift horse in the teeth. He sends his apology Gita. Anyway....he said the neighboring bull ate them this morning. So, watch out cows, that bull has had his oats today. hahahaha

Here is hoping that everyone is having a good Sunday and also hoping the upcoming week is good for everyone.

Ruby

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

"watch out cows" ROFL! I didn't realized sea oats self-sowed other than around the parent plant. So far, the ones I passed along to my mom from Gita are doing fine and not making a nuisance of themselves... :-) As for the weed-grasses, it's possible to find grass-only herbicide (read the label to be sure none of your ornamentals -- like sea oats, for example -- will be affected in the area where you want to spray). It's sort of the opposite of the weed killer for lawns that kills weeds but not grass, LOL.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey!

I am having this issue with the Sea Oats because the stand i have is next to my
YUK bed. Yuk or not--it is still a bed--and the Oats are germinating all over....
They blend in so slyly! Nice and green, small, spiky leaves....upright growth habit---
VERY upright--on a wiry stem that hurts your hand to twist and pull!

I have dug up zillions and potted them and shared them--as many of you are now owners
of this grass...

The last 2 years--I have been cutting off all the oat clusters so they won't dry
and germinate all over...Still--I miss a few!

I think the ideal location for the Sea Oats would be somewhere near a waterfront property--
with the Oats planted by a sand dune fence along the beach...
It would look really rustic and just right! Anyone want a handfull of seeds?????

Just some musings......Gita

Crozet, VA

I tend to tickle a lot of you city gals when I speak of the cows outside our yard and my gardening woes due to them sometimes Jill. A few years back, Diana Wind was inquiring about some plants she shared with me and I mentioned something about cows and their big teeth gnawing on something and Wind got a real kick out of that.

Gita, your musings and the description of where the Sea Otas would look good sounds lovely.

Ruby

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My mom grew up on a dairy farm, so I'm not such a city gal as all that.

I'm still trying to get plants into the ground this week! I had/have a lot of areas that need to be cleared out first (weeds really took over last summer), but I'm making progress out there. The number of pots on the patio is decreasing, but there are still an awful lot of little pots up on the deck that I'm hoping will be bigger & sturdier plants in time for fall planting.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

What were those beautiful plants that Donner had. The Strep.........something? I got one the other week at our HGHA picnic.
My pots are decreasing also. Just like you Critter something always seems to need done before I can plant. It's hardly ever just a matter of digging a hole and putting the plant in it.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Streptocarpella? Little blue blooms, small but thick and slightly fuzzy leaves?

My niece and nephew wanted to help plant a couple of the pots on the patio this morning (niece said she was "really worried" about the montauk daisies, thought they should be planted right away)... we headed to the garden with a shovel and digging stick, and I think they were startled when I started pulling weeds instead of just digging a hole at once, LOL.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Streptocarpus-----treat like African Violets.....

Makes beautiful HB's--if you can have enough to fill one...

Easily propagated from tip cuttings.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/87659/

edited to correct link...

This message was edited Jun 28, 2011 2:46 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Jill & Gita. Is this it?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes it is, Holly!

Don't over water--just like AV's.....

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That's it! Streptocarpus have larger, strap-like leaves and bigger blooms.. that's a Streptocarpella, I believe, and yes, both are related to African violets and like pretty much the same conditions. I seem to remember that I've also rooted tip cuttings in water. I've got a cute little pot of it going now that I got at DPF last Feb. Yours looks happy!

My pretty white & blue AV from Donner (Frosty Frolic, I think, must check its label) is still blooming away -- so pretty!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

ruby you cracked me up!

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly, your plant is lovely! The ones I took to the swap were streptocarpus "blue ice", related, but not quite the same. They are both related to AVs as Critter and Gita pointed out. Keep your plant in the small pot and do not over water it. It should do fine. Good luck.

Critter, yes, the AV is a Frosty Frolic. It is a real good bloomer.

Thumbnail by donnerville
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita, the gooseneck loosestrife that you gave me is blooming now - I"ve seen it in catalogs before, but never the real thing. I like it a lot - sure does look like a goose!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Terri---

Just remember---it CAN become invasive. Give it room to roam...

I hope you planted it in a spot where it does not matter.
Like--you lack space????

Then you can, really, have a flock of geese.... :o)

Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is the link to it in PF.

Make sure you read all the Member Comments at the bottom of it.
I have found that--no matter what the plant--that is where all the
best information comes from. Positive? Neutral? or--Negative.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/656/

Gita

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Plant Files comments on the goose neck loosestrife are all three - the negative ones sure are passionate about its invasiveness. I planted almost everything from the swap on either side of the stone stepping path where the tents were set up - seemed like a good area to remind me of you guys and the happiness I felt when you were here.

I'll dig up the loosestrife and move it on the far side of the pond. I was thinking that at first, but I thought the one plant would get lost over there - well, it can spread to its heart's content along the edge - I doubt it would cross the creek/waterfall to the left or where the bridge is to the right. I will only have to worry about it going up the grass and into the woods. Comments on control said that mowing routinely around it would keep it in check. I also have extremely opposite experience with things that are rated invasive - just my luck that my intention where I put them IS for them to spread, and they never do (vinca, lily of the valley). It would be so pretty if that one plant did spread itself as a mass planting over there - I can just picture the "goose necks" swaying in the breeze, and the foliage is nice too.

Crozet, VA

Oh good......nice to see Donnerville and Aspenhill joining in on the chat. Terri, you and I must have the same sort of gardening thumb....I too have difficulty growing things that are regarded as invasive by others. Go figure!!!

Terri - may we remind you that we were all gloriously happy to take advantage of your hospitality. You live in a perfect setting for entertaining. I am really looking forward to returning to your area before too very long to visit Cheryl's place and of course see you gardens during a different time of the season.

Sally, glad I could give you a laugh....you have been responsible for me having the giggles more than once....glad to return the favor. Oh yeah......not sure if you are aware or not, but along with the neighbors cows often roaming by, we own two goats who are real sources of entertainment for all. Homer and Jethro are always good for a laugh or two. Never in one million years did I ever think I would be a goat owner. When John decided to purchase them to help clear the two acres our house sits on, and he brought them home and they weren't much larger than a large cat, I automatically fell in love with them. They are of the La Mancha breed and one of their characteristics is instead of having ears, they have little tiny nubs. They look almost space alienish.

Anyway......as always......love the dialog. Always good to hear from each of you and to learn while at it. Here is hoping that everyone will have a safe and wonderful holiday weekend.

Ruby

Crozet, VA

I posted this on a separate thread and no one answered, so I thought I would try here. Don't know why I didn't do it originally. DUH!!! Anyway....John is wanting to know who gifted us with a Day Lily called Grace and Glory?

Ruby

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

some of the PF comments I think result from confusing two different plants because of their similar common names... gooseneck loosestrife is not the same as the very invasive (and largely illegal now) purple loosestrife. That said, I do have a purple-leafed lysimachia that spreads by short runners... while it might not be "invasive" by environmentalist standards, it can definitely be a garden thug. Thankfully, it's shallow-rooted and pretty easy to pull, but it will also come back from the littlest scrap of root.

confusing two different plants
Thats my only fear with PF- you do have to beware of "rogue" answers that don't fit the others. But despite that, its usually the best resource I've found -certainly the only place I know where you get real gardener feedback instead of what the seller tells you.
CRitter I have your purple leaf lys. (of course!) in two patches and yes if it creeps it is not so hard to deal with. Then lily of the valley- it creeps but slowly, but when you want to take it out its impossible!

Crozet, VA

Thanks for the education Jill and Sally. Always learn something when hanging out in Dave's.

Sally, I am posting a picture or two of a plant you gave us two years ago I believe. We don't know the name of it, but it is in full bloom now and is very pretty. I love the blooms on it. Any care tips?

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw
Crozet, VA

Another vantage point. I said something to John about getting his shadow in the picture and he informed me that it was done purposly in order for the yellow to show up truer to life than some shots we have taken of other things that tend to wash the color out. My bad!!!

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw

Speal of the devil- no not John LOL!!-- he's a teaser but no devil! thats the purple leaf lysimachia Jill just referred to also. I think the cultivar name is Firecracker. It looks really great for you! . Mine is in some shade .
Wanted to share this pic of Jill pink petunia , Mini Max Pink (right Jil?) that she brought seeds of, to share in February The blooms are small but the things are blooming their heads off , in afternoon sunny pots by my front door.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Really cute, Sally! The great gal who runs Hazzard Seeds assured me that variety was a blooming machine. :-)

They are- have been non stop- I have trimmed them a couple times already to help them bush and they seem to always have more blooms to pop out.

I'm also enjoying the marigolds that Nisi gave me

Hey Jill- OT but- my Zombie Amaryllis is putting up a bloom stalk NOW, out in the garden!! It had one indoors (two last year) and I guess was *this * close to being able to make a second.

Crozet, VA

Speaking of Petunias......a couple of years ago I kept having some mystery seedlings starting in several of my houseplants. Being the good gardener I am, I decided to let them live just in order to see what they would be. After waiting a while the first year, I had a gorgeous pot of Lavender colored Petunia's grow. I also had these same seedlings begin growing in two or three of my outside pots but don't remember ever planting such a seed, especially not indoors. I have thought about it and can only figure that I was so pleasantly surprised by these lovelies by re-using potting soil that they may have been in a year before or a packet of the seeds somehow got mixed in some of my potting soil. Anyway.....they were one of those pleasant gardening surprises that happen. Too cool.

Thanks for the id Sally. It is in full sun, as are most everything we grow. Have any tips for care and warnings? Thank you so much for it, I just love it.

Ruby

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby---

Petunias that make seed pods--will often self-seed.
Some Petunias do--and some don't....depends on the variety...

When you see small Petunia seedlings coming up in spring--
just dig them up and move them to anywhere you want....
They will do just fine!

G.

Crozet, VA

I believe I can identify them earlier now. When they first started appearing, I almost mistook them for weeds. So glad I waited to see because they have given me some really pretty shows and also smelled especially sweet.

Thanks Gita. P. S. I started a few slips of African Violets yesterday, per your instructions. I also changed their location back to the original place where they were producing blooms for me. Again, thanks for all educational tips you have sent my way. I am very appreciative and may some day be able to return the favor.

Ruby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.