Tropical Garden # 92, Here comes Spring!

Keaau, HI

A new thread!

This is the plant that Steve Lucas established at GRIN.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152929/

Epipremnum pinnatum

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

This is it's close relative, Epipremnum aureum, Golden Pothos.

Keaau, HI

An orange Pohutukawa flower.

Keaau, HI

'Ohi'a and rainbows.

Keaau, HI

More 'Ohi'a!

Keaau, HI

Puna Coast.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

rj ! It's so nice to see you posting !, but I'm so sorry to see the damage to your plants.
Being on this forum has made me want to get more real tropicals....till I have to deal with them over the winter. I lugged plants in/out so many times this winter, and I don't have nearly what most of the other posters do, I don't know how you guys do it.
We also are on our 3rd winter of breaking records. Uggg, but this year I mulched mulched mulched, but that doesn't help when winter bloomers are just about to put on their show and get blasted.
I hope that Tree Fern of your's comes back !

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

nice pictures everyone.
i have a tree fern i transplanted in november when the temperatures were in the 40's. i have been babying it keeping it moist from the top down like metrosideros said and i went out today and it looks like maybe there is new growth at the top. fingers crossed. thanks metro

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

rj nice to see you posting.

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

so many plants are just waking up in the garden. this bromeliad looks really blue in the picture but it more of a purple up close

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

bromeliads

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

i bought a full pallet of mulch, 75 bags, and it doesn't even begin to cover the front yard. i have created so much work for myself

a hacked back red cloak.

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

so exciting to see the queens wreath flowering.

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

not sure if you can see the black flower on the anthurium

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

aristolochia

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

puerto rican gandules

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

a few new begonias from phoe

Thumbnail by candela
Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Wow thanks for the new thread.

Beautiful Pohutukawa flower Dave and thank you for correcting plant names in D.G's plant files.

Candela, love the Anthurium and Aristolchia.

Noid Monstera

Thumbnail by
Red Oak, TX

Hello Everyone !!

The last couple of days were absolutely lovely in my part of the woods. DH suggested a road trip to the hill country to get away from the doom and gloom of my two hoop houses. Every plant in my other two GH are fine, even though I kept them at a much lower tempreture than the HH. While lurking on Dave's. I mentioned to DH that there was a nursary in Dripping Springs, Texas that I would like to visit sometime. I always thought that he blocked out all talk of plants, but fortunately he was actually listening. I was plesantly surprised to end up at Miller Tropicals where I went wild picking out cool plants, they were reasonably priced, and if they were more than I could afford, he would pull a starter plant as a gift.

I will take pictures of my new treasures to show in a few days. Life is good again!!

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Metrosideros, thank you for starting the new thread, and the beautiful pictures, I love the Philos!

It is a treat to see Rj and LouC posting again. I hope that Spring will bring you pleasant surprises.

candela, you always have the most interesting plants, I had to look up puerto rican gandules. I wish that I could display my Bromeliad, like in your picture, that is so pretty.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

dyzzypyxxy, that is a very pretty pond, I omited that the only fish I saw eating the lotus were carp, the Koys did not bother the plants as far as I can tell.

HollyAnnS, I like your flower bed, I will copy that combination this spring. I especially like your Big Rock Display.

Plantladylin, I hope that you are having a very good time!!

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

GAirl1066, thanks for showing what's bloming in your GH. Love your dancing bones and the nematanthus corticola, they are both new plants to me.

Joeswife, I have shown the foliage on this little impatient plant before, but the blooms are just as nice, I hope that it produces lots of seeds. It is quite a cool plant.

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

ardesia, thanks for the tip on deviding the lotus. That is a valuable piece of info.

RachelLF,I love the foliage in your last picture, I can see a little cactus plant in the background. I did not get to take a picture of the last Hoya from Lowe's as yet but I have a new plant from the nursary I visited. The leaves are bigger than my hand.

Thumbnail by prita
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

prita drooling over all your plants. What kind of impatient is it in your photo? Neat veining on the leaves. Also the striped big leaves is that a Ti plant?

Red Oak, TX

PerennialGirl, I bought those impatiens from Home Depot, the tag read Steve's Leaves, an unusual variety related to the common bedding plant.
The Ti plant is Miss Andrea.
The last picture is of a Hoya Latifolia.
I should not post when I am tired, I tend to goof up more than usual. Thanks for asking.

Calathea zebrina

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Crown of Thorns

Thumbnail by prita
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Miss Andrea is definitely a beauty! I hope you do get lots of seeds for the impatiens.

Blackshear, GA

Hi everyone,
My family and I are at a quail plantation, very fun!! As we were walking around today, chasing birds, I saw several pitcher plants. They were everywhere!!

There was also another plant that looked like a huge fuzzy lambs ear, but it was in more of a rosette shape. Anyone know what this might be. It was really pretty. I am going to make my husband take me back and dig one up. Lets hope its not poisonous or something, LOL

Wish I could take a picture and post it now. I will take pic if I get a chance.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Could it have been a Carinvores plant called a Sundew? Scroll down about halfway on this page of images and you see the 'rosette' sundew. They are native here and grow in several areas around lakes.

http://www.google.com/images?q=Carnivores+sundew&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&oe=utf8&rlz=1I7GGIT_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=990&bih=453

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Oh how fun! I love to roam the countryside looking at native plants. Wanted to go this am, but we just couldn't make it happen.

Love the COT, Rita. It is beautiful. I planted a ton of seeds out and in today. whoo hoo more fun for me.
This is my euphorbia can't remember the name.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow, that's a cool link for the carnivorous plants, Kay! I need some carnivorous plants inside my pool cage today - the no-see-ums are getting in through the screening and they are hungry!

I spent the most lovely afternoon doing a dirty stinky job - clearing overgrown iris out of my little pond! Do any of you live somewhere that Iris Pseudacorus are not an invasive species? I have a whole garbage can full of them, heading out to the curb on Tuesday morning. Speak now if you'd like some!

They were in the pond when we bought the house, and I thought (hoped) they were the native Blue Flag iris, but never knew for sure until last spring when finally one bloomed. Nice yellow flower, great filtering plant to keep the pond water clear, but . . Reeealllyyy vigorous plants. Some of the rhizomes I was cutting out today were as big as my wrist! The leaves were taller than me (about 5'6").

Everything's really jumping up out of the ground now that the nights are warmer!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Gagirl, if that fuzzy plant was really huge, it might be a native verbascum.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1276&bih=587&q=Verbascum&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=f&oq=

Blackshear, GA

ardesia,
You're good, I believe that is it. I just love it, its so fuzzy and soft. Know anything about it? I'll do some research before I take it home and plant it.

Kay, there were the pitcher plants and I also seen some that were probably like sundew, they were long, skinny, and fuzzy. Hopefully, we will go back to the same spot today and I can take a picture of them.

The native verbascums have a pale yellow flower spike about 3' tall, you may have seen them growing along old railroad tracks, they love the full sun. There are many fancier new hybrids out there with different colored flowers but, IMO, the wild one is the strongest grower. The newer ones I've tried just melted in our humidity.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have them at my house I love them but they can be considered weeds. I have had a few non-gardeners ask me why I don't I pull those weeds. LOL I also love them. I also picked up one of the fancier hybrids and it was pretty but didn't return for me the next year. I will look for a few pics.

LOL, same here Holly, people couldn't understand why I would cultivate weeds. As they say, all weeds are just misplaced flowers. You can always cut the bloom stalk off before letting it go to seed.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is a picture of the hybrids it was a miniature only about a foot tall and very pretty. I would try this one again. Not really sure why it didn't return for me maybe a bit to crowded by larger plants growing near by.
Verbascum Dark Eyes from Terra Nova.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

That one is really beautiful, I'd try that again too.

Red Oak, TX

Hello, I hope that everyone had a nice holiday!!

This is a new fern 'Aglaomorpha coronans'

Thumbnail by prita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.