Crocus blooms

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

These are in one of the front beds, coming up thru the sedum.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

These grow in front of the stone wall.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Finally--I have some Crocus blooms to brag about----

Reminder to myself----DO NOT take photos of flowers in bright sunshine!
The colors go all wacky!

Anyway--here they are--overexposed--and all....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That's a nice sturdy clump, Gita! Looks like one of my reliable favorites, "tommy" 'Ruby Giant'. ?

So pretty! I especially like ones that come up in borders that get full of weeds an twigs over the fall/winter... they look like woodland fairy magic.

Several years ago, I put a border of daffodils along the back of the yard, clumps of 5 to 50 of different varieties. Along with them, I planted over 1000 giant crocus, a beautiful lilac purple blend of colors. Half never even came up that first spring, and now in I think their 4th spring I'm spotting maybe 10 blooms along there. That's only a 1% survival rate! I'm blaming the squirrels. I've seen them digging there. They don't seem to bother the snow crocus or the "tommies" but I suspect giant crocus just taste better. Anybody else have a problem wtih predation on giant crocus?

The next time I get some, maybe I will just pot them up in the garage fridge and force them. Wouldn't they be stunning at either end of a basket of amaryllis if I could figure out the timing? Hmm, maybe plant the crocus and leave a hole for a small amaryllis pot... then pop in whichever is closest to blooming when the crocuses start budding up. What a centerpiece for an Easter buffet!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Holly sweet memories...
Gita yes nice clump and I have ahrd time getting that purple to lok good too, even if I shade it with my body.

Me too Jill, the juxtaposition of twig and mulch with small new fresh green is just something that talks to me. I think you're on the right track with the crocus- amaryllis idea. it takes multiples so that you can be asssured that One set works out. Oh, big bummer on those crocus. I don't have enough experience to offer an opinion.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I still have plenty of crocus coming up.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.