Crocus blooms

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Typically when do Crocus make their appearance in our area Zone 7A?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'm 1 zone over and this pic was taken last year 3/9 and in a part sun area
so I would think maybe 2wks earlier for you...I'm sure you'll get someone to give you a definite answer

Thumbnail by flowAjen
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

The earliest mine ever bloomed here (7 b ) was Feb 14...Twice in 33 years. No signs of them as of today. Many years the ground doesn't really freeze here, but this year it did.

Can't wait for signs of Spring!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have not really checked--but walking from my driveway to my front door
I have seen some Daffodils coming up.....Seems SO early!

I will do a better walk-around an let you all know tomorrow....

Glad to see the warmer temps---also--weary of the "false alarms"
this area's temps usually give....It is ALL-- guess and see what happens....

I will stay on the weary side of all this.....Been there---Seen that.....
Never know how the temps will go.....

Gita

I planted 200 Crocus bulbs in the lawn...hopefully they come up. If all goes well I plan on putting in a bunch more in the Fall.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

MG, found this Old House Garden site discussion of lawn crocus. Some good info on types of crocus that do best in lawns, etc.

http://www.oldhousegardens.com/Lawn-Crocus.asp

The 60 to 70 weather this week should see them popping. What kind did you plant?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Last year we did a crocus shower for Citter when her daughter was born planted thousands of crocus in her front lawn. I would have to look for an old thread to show the pics. It was something to see this past spring. None of mine are up yet quite often they are poking up thru the snow.

Oh please find those pictures...I would love to see that.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ooh, a crocus thread! I think I've spotted some foliage recently, but no blooms yet. I'll dig for more photos, but meanwhile here's the article I wrote about Joyanna's crocus lawn. What a celebration! Thanks again to everybody who participated. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2882/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Critter, I noticed a few shoots coming up today. Now that most of the snow is gone from the beds. Need to get out there and do a little cleaning up.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh Critter- Joyanna's crocus lawn was beatiful. That picture of her tootsie near the crocus bloom is beautiful enough to hang on a wall-love it! Can't wait to see pictures of the lawn this year.

Beautiful! I agree...suitable for a frame.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

The Crocus Party was a great day!

I think my earliest are tomassinianus and I have just started to see the foliage. Next earliest is some yellows from a big box store bag. I have not seen them yet but I think, rarely, I've seen them in Feb. But it is one of our landmarks here- that first bright yellow spot in my patch of vinca minor. Hey, I could find a picture and check the dates.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have my first open crocus.They little guys are always the first to open. Ton's of shoots coming up every where but only a few blooms up.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Woo hoo!!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yippee!

Joyanna's crocus patch won't be blooming early, because the front yard is north facing and takes a while to warm up. But I bet today's warm rain will speed things along!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Yep, blooms here today, too! (Might have bloomed yesterday but I slept most of the day)

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Pretty, Holly, and a welcome sight.
Jill, you know we are expecting pictures of Joyanna's crocus patch when they bloom and Joyanna's cute little toes. That would make a wonderful growing collage. Something different.

I keep checking everyday but nothing here yet!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Just opened today

Thumbnail by flowAjen

My husband got me real excited yesterday and said there were pretty blue flowers in the grass....yup, just weeds!!!

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I see some of my crocus are up today and I have several snowdrops that have been blooming....

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

More crocus popping up all over.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

These are a little different variety they are darker than the other ones.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

And the yellow ones are just starting to show up as well.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

My old pictures have my crocus blooming March 7-14th or round about.

Ok I found my first almost bloom today...the Crocus flower is still closed but looks like it will open tomorrow or the next day. It is in the lawn on a South facing hill.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

'Herald' pic from yesterday

Thumbnail by flowAjen

I saw buds on my yellow today. If the sun comes out tomorrow, they may pop.
(the sun was So WAY NOT out today--bleaahh)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I came home today and it was dreary and raining but even closed the crocus looked nice can't get over how they have multiplied since I planted them a few years ago.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

We have been deluged with rain all day today! They said we would get 2"..
I think "THEY" were right...The ground was already all soggy....Now we have more....
My Sump Pump has been going overtime....Worries me a bit when i am not home!

I know I have several things blooming--but I sure don't feel like traipsing
out there in all this mud to take a picture....

My Helebores are starting to bloom. I did cut back the old foliage so I can see them...
Daffodil foliage is up about 6". Asst. Crocus ARE blooming. not ALL!
Have a small cluster of Snow Drops blooming....

Of course--My Wintersweet Shrub is in it's glory.....Breathe deeply! AHH the fragrance!....
Trying to sneak out and clean up this and that----just not in the mood yet!
Too cold! Tooo wet!....Too early.....Too lazy....

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Same group just covered with this mornings blanket of snow.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh man you got snow?!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Some of my larger purple crocus are starting to come up.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Think this bed is pretty full of bulbs.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Some of my little white ones have started to come up. They are in a more shady bed and don't come up as soon as those out by the lamppost.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

I was worried about only seeing yellows here, but today the other color buds are showing up. They should be very nice Friday!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I have some very early ones ready to pop. If the sun was out today and a bit warmer I'd have pictures posted. Sigh!!!
I am really enjoying your blooms.
Jill, any signs of Sunshine Girl's Crocus blooms ?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes! Sorry I haven't managed to upload to this thread, but Sunshine Girl has been enjoying her crocus lawn all week. I posted some photos on her thread here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1147831/#new

Our front yard looks like an Easter patchwork quilt. :-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Memories, That is what flowers bring. I have a small patch of crocus and daffs that grow right in the middle of my yard. I seem to forget all about them every year till they bloom again. Then I remember, the kids play house use to sit there and I had planted a few flowers in front of it. Here are the playhouse crocus.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.