serama rainbow of color.

Gridley, IL

I had another Serama hatch today im waiting for it to dry looks almost blue right now.Do seramas come in blue? Ive never seen one but Blue is one of my favorite colors. I also had one black copper marans hatch along with 2 blue langshans so far. I have one brabanter trying to hatch too but i think the air cell is sideways in that egg so i hope it can hatch. Its piped anyway. still waiting for more pippege in the bator.Ill post another thread on those new babies when i have more hatch.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Sure is blue!
http://www.ovabid.com/detail.asp?id=1184&pic=2#img

edited to add... I just found that in a search.. Apparently, they are not for sale... Seems the guy she got them from (Jeff Sumner) has worked on the blue color for a long time.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2011 4:33 PM

(Zone 5b)

The duck on that page is so beautiful and perfect he/she doesn't even look real!

(Zone 6b)

I saw this little serama on an auction and at first didn't think much of her, but on second look she does have some nice colors. Was wondering what you serama people, would think of her. She stands up real pretty. Look at that beak in the air.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=467799

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I love the color! See how a good picture can make a world of difference? In one picture, she has really nice vertical wings.. but on the scale, shows that was just a pose.. I know pullets lack vertical wings in most cases.. it's hard to get good vertical wings, and she is better than the pigeon look I've seen a lot of..

Not to knock her too much.. The color is amazing.. She has a funky comb. LOL

11.6 ounces at 6 months is not considered A class.. She is a pullet, they are not classed till they are mature. So that is something to consider..
Also, aren't white earlobes a disqualification?
Can't really tell how short her legs are..

The color just makes me drool, but she would have to be a LOT more impressive for me to spend that much.

(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the comments. I would never have noticed the white earlobes. Just saw her and thought she was kind of spunky and pretty.

Even though I put my silkies in that show, I have never read the qualifications for the silkies, much less the seramas.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm not an expert, by any means.. I do enjoy building an "eye" for Serama qualities like I had for horses. I learned a lot of my stuff from looking at the results on cages at the shows. I read the "notes" the judge put on the tags.. Like "beak needs trim" or "comb" whatever.. that just stuck in my mind more than a long list of standards.. I look at the bird, and then see what the judge was talking about... something I didn't see before, even though I've read the standards a zillion times..

Actually Seramas are marked down for really short legs, which is weird, cause they are so tiny.. but oh well!!

I don't know much about Silkies.. :)

(Zone 6b)

Neither do I.

Gridley, IL

Ok here are my 3 new Serama out of ebay eggs. The black one looks like a lil penguin.I think there might be one white and one white with mabie a grey color like my lil sweet pea.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

This is another shot with the 2 white color ones

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

Does anyone know what color these silkie chicks will be? I think one is a lavender and one might be a porcelain?This pic is not as good but it shows the true color better.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

This is another of the silkies.

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE
Gridley, IL

This is another shot of the lil Penguin serama with the specticals. It has little circles of yellow around its eyes.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2011 12:19 PM

Thumbnail by SHE_WOLFIE
(Zone 6b)

They are so cute, and must be so tiny. Congrats She W.

I wanted to ask Z, about Old English chickens. I saw some on an auction today, ovabid, and it seems to me they have very similar confirmation as the seramas. Is that right? I've always liked the OE, not sure why. It could just be the name of them, Old English, that makes me think they are very special.

We know ALL chickens are special though.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

What color were the parents of those silkies? They sure are cute, and that one has some hints of color that is interesting.
That Serama "Penguin" baby is so cute!! Love the lil specs.. :)

LFJ, Old English are tiny, but not really close to Serama. Seramas have vertical wings and very short backs with big chests. The OEGs have longer backs,a lower tail set and not vertical wings.
Some Serama breeders have Seramas that are getting to look more like OEG than Serama.. which I don't care for.. I like the true Serama look.

Gridley, IL

ZZ
I dont know if you can see this since it is an ended sale but here is the link to the sale i won with pictures.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=250774471921&si=Jha2U0HEa92su5DxzUZoaf6tutc%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Gridley, IL

Thats where all of these chicks came from. I had 3 serama,2 silkie and 2 frizzle cochin hatch from the 10 eggs she sent.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, the seller claims they are all white... but the pictures show a lot of different colors!

Gridley, IL

Yeah and when i asked her what colors she gets she said black blue white and partridge. but these are lighter then blue.Here pictures look like lavender.I guess ill have to wait to see but im sticking with lavender and porcalein.

(Zone 5b)

Aww, they're so cute!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.