Thought for the Day - #11

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

My mind is like a steel trap, rusted and broken.

(Quoted by Tom C of Tomatoville)

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey Sharon, good to hear from you! : - )
Problem with most Dr.s is they treat the symptoms, not the disease. : - |
loved the rusty steel trap analogy, evelyn. Yesterday, all I did was go in circles. Dang I'm tired.

Got some more friends quotes, and some are really funny. Some profound.

"A friend is someone who dislikes the same people you dislike."
~Anon~

" . . . . A friend doesn't go on a diet because you are fat.
A friend never defends a husband who gets his wife an
electric skillet for her Birthday. A friend will tell you she
saw your old boyfriend - and he's a priest."
~Erma Bombeck, b. 1927~

"Friend derives from a word meaning 'free'. A friend is
someone who allows us the space and freedom to be."
~Debbie Alicen~

Last one for now,

"Real friends are those who, when you've made
a fool of yourself, don't feel that you've done a
permanent job."
~H.M.E.~

WIB!
SW

please excuse grammar, taken from somewhere else.

you and me is friends
you smile, i smile
you cry, i cry
you hurt, i hurt
you jump off bridge,
i gonna miss your emails

(Zone 7a)

ROTFLOL

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Love it.

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

SW and everyone, hello!

I was reminded of your WIB sign off when I saw this in my "Good quotes" file.

"Let me walk in beauty, and make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset. Make my hands respect the things you have made and my ears sharp to hear your voice. Make me wise so that I may understand the things you have taught my people. Let me learn the lessons you have hidden in every leaf and rock. I seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy, myself. Make me always ready to come to you with clean hands and straight eyes. "
-Native American prayer

I thought you all might like it, too.
Happy New Year!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

How beautiful a prayer! Thank you suewylan for sharing. Happy New Year to you too.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Oh my, that is beautiful, and oh so worthy of a goal in our lives.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sue, I hadn't heard that version before, but it's certainly beautiful and exemplifies how I try to live my life. Which ain't easy to live up to sometimes. Definitely a keeper! : - D
Thank you so much for sharing it. Oh, and a Happy New Year for you too!
shermie love, you crack me up! Gosh, I love your sense of humor! Still giggling. : - )
lily-love, what a beautiful photo. What kind of lily is that, beside gorgeous, I mean?
kwanjin, glad as always to hear from you. : - )

One for today.

"THE COMFORT OF SMALL THINGS
Oh, the comfort--the inexpressible comfort, of
feeling safe with a person--having neither to weigh
thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all
right out, just as they are chaff and grain together;
certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them,
keep what is worth keeping, and then, with the
breathe of kindness blow the rest away."
~Dinah Maria Mulock Craik (1826-1910)~

WIB~
SW

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Happy New Year. It is the hear of the Rabbit. Suppose to be a good luck year. Las Vegas is swamped for Chinese New Year and now Super Bowl is going to also be in the same period of time. This town will be packed.

Wind is howling here today.

I enjoy all the thoughts. Keep them coming. Sharon.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Chinese New Year is Feb. 3, 2011. It changes every year. Rabbits are considered to lead to prosperity, given their tendency to breed. LOL! At least one of DH's friends (who is Chinese told him that.)
Howling and raining here, Sharon.

"The happiness of life is made up of fractions - the
little soon-forgotten charities of a kiss or a smile,
a kind look, or heartfelt compliment."
~Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834)~

WIB~
SW

The quotation:

human wandering through the zoo / what do your cousins think of you. -Don Marquis, humorist and poet (1878-1937)

reminds me of a chimp asking another about his zoo worker:

Am I my keeper's brother?

Heh, hehe.....

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

I was born in the year of the rabbit (I believe), so that shoots the prosperity theory to heck and back. I have, somewhere, a chop - an alabaster stamp carved with my name in Chinese - and if I could find it, I think the rabbit is on it.

(Zone 7a)

Seen several years ago on a greeting card...

"For your birthday, I was going to take you to the zoo but the zoo said they didn't want you."

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Four things that can never be recovered: The stone after it's thrown, the word after it's spoken, the occasion after it's missed, and the time after it's gone.

Such wise words to live by!

Angie

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

Speaking of birthdays and zoos, ...unbelievably,...seen on a birthday card, along with the animals under the words:

"Hippo, birdie, two ewes

Hippo, birdie, two ewes

Hippo, birdie, two ewwwwes

Hippo, birdie, two ewes"

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

suewylan, I guess you have to see the pictures of the critters. Like the two ewwwwes. LOL!

Margaret wanted me to share this story with you, I have it in my Gardening Diary along with a few other stories. This one kind of got lost with the changes Admin. has made, but I went and found it. Here's the link:
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/SingingWolf/11123/

QG, you make me wonder what a chop of my name would look like. A few years ago, on DH's B.day, I bought him a silver dollar from the early 1800's, that was covered with chop marks, which the Chinese did to show they truly owned that piece of silver. There were a lot of Chinese who'd been imported for their cheap labor costs, while building up the west. They didn't just build railroads. I figure from the number of chopmarks, and the lack of real coinage in this part of the world made coins very valuable. It's a Spanish Coin by the way, but to me it's priceless because of it's history. : - )
Oh, QG, Alabaster melts when submersed in water. Use computer cleaner to dust your chop. (Boy does that sound strange! LOL!)
Kwanjin, you always crack me up! : - )
Loved your quote evelyn, I often wonder myself how to best help my friends. Especially when I have my dogs watching out for me, and my cat purring me back to sleep when I'm in pain and can't reach there by myself. : - )
I'm not fond of zoos, except for the green and growing things and the free flying birds. Wild should be left wild, and domestic critters should not be turned out to become wild, if they survive. It's just wrong.
Angie, was saving you for last because I agree completely with you. Well said! : - )

How about another quote about friendship? Here ya go!

"A friend will run across the road with a plate of freshly
baked scones.
Friends fetch you to see the newly born kittens.
Friends take cuttings for you.
Friends leave bags of apples on the doorstep.
Friends clear snow off your side of the driveway.
Friends stop the papers when you forgot.
Friends feed the cat.
Friends are absolutely indispensable."
~Judith C. Grant, b.1960~

They also collect seeds, take photos, could be bags of oranges or avocados out here, they help walk the dog, and since we can't do scones, I'm really happy to see those plates of tamales. LOL! God Bless our friends!
My friends also help me out with my wretched memory. Thanks! : - )

WIB~
SW

. "A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked." ~ Bernard Meltzer

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Describes me well, shermie. : - )
WIB~
SW

(Zone 7a)

A friend will also come 10 miles out of their way to bring your spare set of car/house keys or feed 3 cats and give one of them his meds twice a day, everyday for several days. Including in a snowstorm.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

DG friends may not be able to do those physical things, but are the greatest in being there for our minds (cuz once you have lost your mind, it is hard to find again).

(Zone 7a)

And mine is too little to be out on it's own.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

I'm still lurking around and reading all the great posts. Thank God for all my wonderful friends!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

QG and kwanjin, I just love your sense of humor. : - )
Samigal, it's so good to hear you chime in! I've missed you, as have our other Buddies on the CA Forum.
Since we are still going on friends, I found a few more to share with you today, get ready. : - )

"A friend, by a phone call,
a popping in,
a chance meeting,
a small unexpected surprise,
puts a little jam on the day's bread and butter."
~J.R.C.~

"A friend knowa how to allow for mere quantity in
your talk, and only replies to the quality . . . ."
~William Dean Howells (1837-1920)

"Friends stay friends because they don't mess about
in each other's lives."
~Richard Alan~

"A friend respects your diet."
~Pam Brown, b. 1928~

WIB~
SW

STOLEN FROM THE HUMOR FORUM:

This year we will experience 4 unusual dates...1/1/11, 1/11/11, 11/1/11, and 11/11/11. Now take the last 2 digits of the year you were born plus the age you will be this year and it WILL EQUAL 111... Crazy, right?

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Amazing. I had to use the calculator thougn, lol. Did all 3 of us, even the kiddo and that is what is added up to.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Works for me too, but am too lazy to do the whole family. LOL!

"I always felt that the great high privilege, relief and
comfort of friendship was that one had to explain
nothing."
~Katherine Mansfield, (1888- 1923)~

"True friendship comes when silence between two
people is comfortable."
~Dave Tyson Gentry~

"Silences make the real conversations between friends.
Not the saying but never needing to say
is what counts."
~Margaret Lee Runbeck~

Last one for now,

"A friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to
me when my memory fails." : - )
~from 'Pioneer Girls Leaders' Handbook' ~

That ought to take you all back a few years! LOL! Have a great day, and if Marie is lurking, this photo is for you.
I hope it cheers you up. : - )
WIB~
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Karen ~ Love your "math challenge" - amazing! (41+70=111) Where did you find that??

SW ~ Nice thoughts on friendship, especially the last one...when my memory fails!

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Not a 'Thought' but a glad tiding. I saw my first of this year's wildflowers yesterday. Poppies and black eyed susans (?). They were alongside the freeway in Murrieta on the west facing embankment. None seen in the hillside burn area behind us, but the slope faces east, so imagine it will take longer.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

QG,
I've been seeing some wildflowers, but they have only started blooming in places with a good southern exposure. Like my little Pink Maids. Will attach photo.

I love these.

". . . when people have light in themselves, it will
shine out from them. Then we get to know each
other a we walk together in the darkness, without
needing to pass our hands over each other's faces, or
to intrude into each other's hearts."
~Albert Scheitzer (1875-1965)~

"We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship
is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there
is at last a drop which makes it run over, so in a
series of kindnesses there is at least one which makes
the heart run over."
~James Boswell, (1740-1795)~

"First of all things, for friendship, there must be that
delightful, indefinable state called felling at ease
with your companion, the one man, the one woman
out of a multitude who interests you, who meets
your thoughts and tastes."
~Julia Duhring~

"Then little by little we discover one friend, in the midst of the crowd of friends, who is particularly happy to be with us and to whom, we realize, we have an infinite number of things to say. She is not the top of the class, she is not particularly well thought of by the others, she does not wear showy clothes . . . and when we are walking home with her we realize that her shoes are identical to ours - strong and simple, not showy and flimsy like those of our other friends . . . "
~Natalia Ginzburg, b. 1916 from "The Little Virtues"~

Last one for now, but I saved the best for last. : - )

"Friends do not live in harmony merely, as some say,
but in melody."
~Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)~

Love the melodies! : - )

Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Lovely, SW!

Everything was looking up around here. Cut back all the frozen/burned leaves, branches. Yo know when you have one of those uh-oh moments? As I am cutting dead stuff back and rejoicing in the new, green shoots underneath. Then, toward the end think "hmmm, wonder if that dead stuff is keeping the new growth warm?". Why, yes it was, I can answer now that we have had 2 nights in the mid 20's and the new green stuff is also DEAD! Argh! The Cannas and Pregnant Onion appear to 'melt' before browning. Was smart enough to have kept some ice sensitive succulents in the kitchen. The Mother of Millions is even flowering in here!

Sorry, no prolific quotes, but these are my "thoughts for the day".

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

I wonder if your "Mother of Millions" is the same as what I think of as "Mother of Millions?" I've never seen it bloom. Mine is a succulent with little jagged edges along the leaves, and grows a tiny new plant on each of the little jagged points. It looks a lot like this:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/216143/

Geez, I hope it doesn't get as big as some of the pictures on that page!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Bookerc1, yes indeed it's one and the same. Mine are blooming as well-- those that are being kept in a non-heated gh beside my garage. I lost my camera, so it would be a while before I can share some pics. of the lovely. Hah, no quote of thoughts for the day. Thanks all for sharing yours.

I am so happy to be in california with the sun shining and gardening stuff i can do almost every day. the pictures of the snow and ice in the rest of country make me cold just looking at them.
hopefully i will remember this when it is 110 degrees this summer !!!

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Booker, yes that is the one. Here is a shot taken last fall of it outdoors.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Here is what it looked like after a freeze and I forgot to bring it in soon enough. This is still better than a couple years again when it 'melted' back almost all the way. Took 2 years to get back to this size. Found out the Firestick http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/58092/ Also does not like the cold and it is indoors also and experiencing new growth, albeit light green and no red.

Mother of Thousands, huh? Guess I was quite a few thousands off, however, when it came indoors it SEEMED like it dropped millions of babies. They self sow easily and all the pots around it get babies growing. Since the others are cold hardy, all I have to do for birth control is leave those other pots outside.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Okay, I'm really confused, I may have mis-stated the name of the plant, but I have Mother of Hundreds. Sending a photo of it blooming in the gh right now. Hummers like it. : - )
I too am happy it's warm out. I have a lot to do before we leave on Wednesday.

A short thought for today.

"Life is nothing without friendship."
~Cicero, (106-43 BC)

Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Yours is different than mine QG. Mine didn't melt all the way back, at least the ones outside didn't, the ones inside are reproducing, and I'm hoping to transplant them for the RU. When yours have babies again, I'd like to get one if I may? LMK!
WIB,
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

And, here is what it looks like today with the tiny coral flowers, that, of course, are facing the other direction. Wanted you to see the babies on the ridge of the leaves. Bigger babies than the Plant Files show.

Thumbnail by quiltygirl
No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

SW, I have a baggie of babies (have been there for more than a month and still seem viable with the little root 'hairs'). Also more on the Mother. Is the photo you posted your Mother of Thousands? Cannot tell which leaves belong to it. I had though to plant some for RU also. Only have succulent to divide for that, Mother, zebra hawthornia (maybe that is what it is) and the Pregnant Onion from you (growing great guns, but it also gets 'melty' leaves with frost.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.