Omoshiro

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Same here, Carolyn, but at least we'll be spared the worst of this storm.

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

The latest weather report is aweful, I am beginning to believe that June will be here before I see grass!
Kiseta, looks great, and yes it does make me think of spring!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

...and I'm whining about it being 47* here !

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

under " ice storm warning" now. lol, just keeps going downhill here.

Oh, stop your whining, JD! You've got it made but remember to carry some oars.

Today the carpenters are installing new exterior doors and I'm freezing though I'm 80' away!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Sure enjoying this thread!
Planted primroses and pansy to cheer me yesterday, feels like spring here and looks like it now.
Hang in there all you folks back East. :-(
LOL JD!

The only primroses and pansies to cheer me up are on Picasa, Sue.

Well I'll just have to get some pictures of mine and post them into my Picasa album!

You could cheer us up and post them here.

Athens, PA

Sue

I would like to see them too. Please post.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Pirl, I don't know what made me think of this, but when you were talking about Cape Cod, I remember the time I put a add in the paper looking for live in housekeeper in 1979. My son was 6, and I tought I can save some money that way. I got a call from some very well to do people in Chads Ford, Pa. The wife said she stayes in the Summer in Cape Cod, but I would have to take care of her husband. He was standing there, just staring at me, had some fish eyes and gave me the creeps. She said that my son was not alowed in the main house, he would have to stay in the cottage. It was on a 40 acre horse farm. I had the courage to tell her that my son comes first, and that she can't pay me enough to take the job. That was the time that I learned lot about people, but I made it to old age. When I lived in Pa. I had a garden that all the neghbors use to came to see, it was all vegetables, but I was growing some Peonies, they do not grow in Ga. If you ever in the Ga mountains, visit the Dillard house, it is very nice, it is close to NC border. This is in the front of the restaurant.

Thumbnail by kiseta
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I use to live in Montreal and love to vacation on the Cape.We stayed in Truro most of the time.
I can feel your cold weather, literally. If you have seen any reports on the superbowl, you can see the ice and snow we are having. It is very unusual to have below freezing for several days in a row...Well I know you don't feel too sorry for me! I will be curious to see if the johnny jump ups survive this.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

kiseta, your pansies are a sight for sore eyes! This winter is testing the patience of people all over the country. JD, don't forget your hip boots for the mud.

A picture for the days that are sure to come.....although not fast enough

Thumbnail by venu209
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Louise: You're not allowed to post a photo of a clematis unless you tell us which one it is !

While Sue is preparing her primrose pictures, here's a few that managed to survive the deluge of rain we had in December. I thought for sure they had drowned.

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

That would be Kingfisher, a slow starter but worth the wait. Looks like your primroses survived just fine JD!

Etelka - that building looks lovely and the plants are so pretty.

Louise - Kingfisher just went on my list though I promised myself no more dark ones!

JD - trying to torment us, are you? It's working. I'm insanely jealous.

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

you guys are deadly to my visa.

Athens, PA

Mine too...... gorgeous pictures.

Louise - I had looked at Kingfisher before and did not get it. Now I am wishing I had.

JD - your primroses are beautiful. Makes me wonder what is happening to mine.... what is the plant in the picture to the right of the primroses? The leaves are interesting and remind me of japanese anemone leaves.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Carolyn, the leaves you're refering to are a red passion vine which is growing on an arbor (you can see part of the white grid work ). It's a bit frost damaged at the moment. If you're in PA. I assume your primroses are under snow right now ?

Well, I had to resort to using a little point and shoot, almost forgot how to use those, taking pictures using that screen! (lent my camera to my daughter and didn't feel like using my husbands big DSLR camera)
Anyways, the colors are off, maybe I will try it again later with the big camera.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Love those cute doubles, they look like mini rosebuds.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

And some fancy colors

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

And pretty edges

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Love these 'Tiger Eyes' violas (oh, need to clean that pot off, got rain splashed)
This is a darker one I found among the more typical coloring. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/239557/

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Thank you, Sue. They are all so colorful and beautiful to behold on a cold, icy day in the northeast.

Vineyard in the fine weather we've been having! LOL

Thumbnail by pirl
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Very pretty! I love violas.Except for this unseasonal snow, in the winter they are the welcome spot of color. Do yours reseed?

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

That picture is so cool pirl! we are so cold here too! 2' on the ground. Winter has so many interesting pictures! thanks

Thanks, Jim. "Cool" is so apropos for the photo. That day it was 26, sunny, no wind - I wore my mock turtle neck sweater and had my jacket wide open. Can't say the same for today - brrr.

bananna18, I never let them go to seed, I am always grooming them. I should let a few develop seed toward the end of their bloom cycle and collect them.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Great pictures as usual, Sue.
Those fancy primulas (the doubles and the bi-toned) never seem to come back for me. The singles and the solid colored ones do, no problem.
I also can't get pansy's to reseed. Violas, yes.

I wish I had a zoom lens to take a picture of some double yellow freesia that are growing (and blooming at the moment) out of the crown of a huge palm tree a few blocks from me. Now how on earth could freesia bulbs get blown up into a 40' palm tree ??? I spotted them a few days ago and went back with my binoculars just to see what they were and sure enough, they're freesia.

Athens, PA

Oh! I wish I could grow Freesia for more than just an annual here. They smell heavenly!

They don't work well for me but I continue to try and grow them.

I bet the bulbs were planted there when it was a smaller tree and they come up every year. I have seen people plant all kinds of little plants in the crevices left behind from older leaves of the palm trunk.
Freesia are tough and reliable bulbs here.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Love Freesia! My favourite flower scent too! Now there is another reason to move to California.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

bananna18, you would of liked my dinner at the church on Wedn. I made the famouse Hungarian pastries called Zserbo, and it is full of walnuts and have 3 leyers mixed with apricot jam. It was a big job, since I cook for lots of people, sometime 80-90. I have checked out to grow Freesias, I can get 25 bulbs for $9.99 but in my area it would not survive unless I plantem in pots and being them in. Maybe it is wort spending that money just enjoy them one year.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Yum! I am going to google that recipe.
Atleast the growing season is long so you could enjoy them.

I did just Google the photos and even they are fattening, I'm sure.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&q=Zserbo&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g4g-m1&aql=f&oq=

Oh my!
I must go out and walk, get my mind off those. I already gained weight from stress eating. ;-)

(Zone 7a)

I gained 2 pounds just LOOKING at the pics!

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Deadly! Too bad it isn't warm enough to go work in the garden. Less weight gain options out there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.