Omoshiro

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Love it! I took calligraphy a long time ago too.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thank you. Craft stores and some paint stores carry them now in several pen widths and some are supposed to be weatherproof but the sun still fades the writing.

I use it to alert me to roots, for names of plants and to use on old broken pots for plant names as well. The reason I use it for the big ancient pine roots is so I won't think I have room for one more plant when there's actually a major root under the slate.

Thumbnail by pirl
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

It is good to avoid extra work and be disappointed trying to dig a hole with a big old root. I bet you get asked what kind of bloom "root" is!
I should do that to avoid the pvc sprinklers and cable lines in my yard.

That's a great idea.

People have asked, "What do you mean by 'root'?" - is it that hard for them to grasp? LOL

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have the perfect place for my new clem. It will get morning sun and then late afternoon shade and be on a stump. That stump came about this winter when a huge pine tree fell and took out our pool pump and filter. Just think we have only about 8 more weeks till out Clem's come in and we are planting them..

Putting this horrible looking plastic coated wire (a leftover from a former use) around the stump was a great help getting it to climb but I'm sure there must be prettier ways to encourage it to climb.

Sorry to hear about the pool pump and filter!

Hurray for planting time getting closer each day. Even the time changes on 3/13. That's always a highlight of the year for our spirits.

Thumbnail by pirl

That's ok about the pool pump and heater, the INS Co paid us 2400.00 for the damage and clean up. The tree just missed the house by around 4 ft on the bedroom side. Hubby did not even hear it fall. But it sure woke me up from a sound sleep.

Isn't it just amazing what men don't hear? Long ago the house down the street (about 5 houses away) burned to the ground and the fire engines raced down the street with the sirens screaming but he never heard a thing!

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

Saw the pic, had to have it. Brushwood has a new customer and my visa is smoking! Thanks for posting.

Loved your smoking Visa comment!

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Me too, cause that is what mine is doing too. Smokin CCs love company ;)

I've been too good. Been to many sites but haven't yet lost my mind or burned a CC.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

New to DG, and this forum. Thanks for this great thread about Omoshiro, and the amazing pictures. I didn't even see the last part of the thread and had already found Brushwoods and ordered it. There's no smoking CC at my house, it's now ashes and I'm going to have to sleep in my garage when my hubby sees the email confirming the clems from Brushwood that I ordered. LOL!!!!! I'm glad to see that you all recommend pruning group 2 clems like group 3's and the lush foliage and blooms a result, captured in your pictures.

Welcome to DG and the Clem forum, Cem. In a few months there will be an explosion of activity as the clems wake from their winter slumber. It's always great to see people's pictures of their clems and hear about their experiences with them, good and bad. I'll give you fair warning though....when the pictures start popping up, it becomes very dangerous for CCs ;)

I second Louise's welcome to you, Cem. Seems Cem and Clems were meant to be!

Louise and I had one of those gardening heart to heart talks back in September and we both said we didn't need more clematises. Well, "The best laid plans..." - you know the rest. Now we've probably ordered more than a dozen between us and I have to go back to Brushwood just to make sure I haven't missed any new arrivals.

You'll be having blooms long before we do so don't forget to post photos!

Athens, PA

I am looking forward to our southern DG'ers to get things started...Cannot wait. Old man winter seems to hold tighter and longer each year.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Omoshiro is ordered from Brushwood. Can't wait to try this one.
Kathy

I'm going to feel really guilty if it doesn't perform well for everyone!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Venu209 and pirl, thanks for the warm welcome. I can't wait for Spring to see my old faves come to life and to put the new ones in the ground. I look forward to making these plants do well thanks to the great information on this forum.

Spring came early to the northeast in 2010, Cem, so this is the second day of bloom on 5/2/2010. I hope yours are all you dream them to be.

Thumbnail by pirl
(Zone 7a)

My gosh but those are beautiful clems! I've been lurking since this thread started and I love looking at everyone's pics. I have 3 clematis and enjoy each of them. Henryi, Dr. Ruppel and Blue Light. Now, I think I need to add Omoshiro.

You have some beauties already so adding Omoshiro would just make the garden lovelier.

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

pill, how where the blooms the years you planted? I don't want to get my hopes to high!

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

pirl, how were the blooms the years you planted? I don't want to get my hopes to high!

Marvelous! I've won a first place and a second place in the photo contest for our Omoshiro. It's never had a problem and was very early blooming during our very warm spring in 2010.

I even ordered two more of them so that should speak for itself.

Pirl..
Did you put them in shade or part shade or full sun. I wanted to put mine in part shade( morning sun then afternoon shade), will that be ok?

So far I just have the one and it's in morning shade, afternoon sun, and does very well. I imagine yours would also.

Good. I cant wait till planting time. I am sick of cold weather and this snow. I want my hands in dirt...lol

If I were brave I'd go out to take a photo of it now - covered with snow. We've had enough of the white stuff this winter!

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

Did I see that you can prune a 2 like you would a 3? Are there clems that I shouldn't prune like this? Thanks.

I prune my 2's like 3's and so do a few other people. You shouldn't prune your 1's like that!

Well Hec. how can I be sure its not a 1?
I am still confused as to which Clem's is a 1,2 or 3's.
They all get cut down or they dont get cut at all , and so far they all grow fine...lol

Marie, if you know the names of your clems you can check the pruning group here on DG in guides or on the web site "clematis on the web". I prune all as group 3 for the first few years and then revert to the pruning group recommendations.

Louise is right. Give us the names and we can try to help you.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi everyone, it is a beutiful day in Augusta, but only thing I can plant is pansys. If anybody has some advice how to plant my 3 ordered clematis so they can king of mix together. I ordered Arctic Queen, Rebecca and Crystal Fountain, so I can have a all American clematis trellis. I am geting to many plants because my front sunny yard is only about 50 x 40 feet, and allready having some holly bushes and some zebra grass in the corner.Last year it looked like a jungle, but I moved my confederate rose, it was 12' tall and took up a lots of space. I hope I did't kill it by moving it. I can probobly build a triengular trellis and let them sort it out how to mix. Just incase I killed the confederate rose here is a picture. Sorry for mispeling, I cook better then I spell.

Thumbnail by kiseta

That's a beauty so I hope you didn't kill it.

I'd plant the white 'Arctic Queen' in the center and then one clematis on each side of it. Remember to use compost, manure and bone meal (mix them together) in the deep planting hole you'll dig and put each clematis 2" below the soil line and at a 45 degree angle, leaning towards the trellis. Water well and as they emerge cover the front of the root area with a lot of compost to act as mulch and keep the roots cool and moist - that's what they want.

Athens, PA

when do your clems bloom? The time of year that they bloom will also tell you what type of pruning type your clems are.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

pirl, thank you very much, I just moved my zebra grass, and freed up about 6' x 6' space in the corner, probobly will use some of that space for the other clematis I ordered, Gypsy or neobi. I will use one in the back where it is sunny for 4, or 5 hours. Also have sunset, so I am hiding my M. card, it is getting to much. Thanks again. Etelka did you get more snow this week??? it is 58 here, nice.

The thought of 58 degrees is wonderful but we did get more snow, another dusting last night and yet another is due tonight with a big storm due for Wednesday. We, in the northeast, have had enough of our winter wonderland!

Grasses can be lovely but they do expand and take up space. I do have some but they are lower to the ground and in spots where I don't want flowers, along paths. Each time it gets too wide I just remove a chunk and plant it elsewhere.

Both Gypsy and Niobe are beautiful. Gypsy appears in photos to be a more vibrant purple than it's parent, Jackmanii. You might want to try putting Niobe on a cream colored rose or one that's pale yellow. The purple of Gypsy would go well on your white fence where even Gypsy would stand out beautifully.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi again, I was just braging about you to my lady friend how you have a beutiful yard, you should have a open house and charge people to see it. Also how much I apreciate your help. I was wondering how long have you been doing gardening, it seams you have a lots of knowledge about most of the plants and looks like you enjoying learning new staff. I grew up with flowers, my father was a rose man, but when I bought this fixer upper house, it is such a nice little cottage, I started planting lots of stuff. I look like a oasis in a desert, al around me are lots of rentals and nobody cares. When I moved here, all the houses where being renovated and I tought it was a upper moving neighborhood, but turned out to be all rented out to section 8, You live and learn. Now I could not sell my house if I wanted to, but the mortgage is low, so I will stay put. Thanks again for your kindness. You can tell I live alone, when I find a leasening ear, I just cant quit. Etelka

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.