Omoshiro

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Per their website, 'Omoshiro' is now available at Brushwood!

http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/large-flowered-clematis-3/clematis-omoshiro-159.html?zenid=37aedd804c1c28673c6f472b629f61ac

Packing and Shipping: $10 flat fee.
Store Quantity Discount Policy:

(Calculated at checkout)
Buy 3 or more plants, get $5.00 off
Buy 6 or more plants, get $10.00 off
Buy 9 or more plants, get $15.00 off

Mine is in morning shade and still performs so very well.

Thumbnail by pirl
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I just ordered mine ,Thank You.

Quite a few of us on the Northeast Forum ordered it last night. Hope you love it as much as I do, Marie.

May I ask when you set for your delievery? I did the first of March.
Oh I am sure I will. I have become a Clemoholic...lol

Reidsville, NC

I just read my newsletter and ordered two for Mid March.....zone 7. Is that too late? I hope to pot and place under grow light for a few weeks. When and how will you do yours?

I think that will be fine. You are where it gets warmer sooner so you might even be able to do the first wee of March. I like the idea that they can grow and bloom well in some shade.

I never even saw the delivery date area when I ordered. Anytime is fine with me as I'll also pot them up and grow them, hopefully outside, but we do have the basement set up with many sets of lights for the seeds my husband grows each spring.

The part shade clem's work well for me, too, Marie.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

That's not too late blackwell, probably perfect for your zone. I think I did end of March.

Jersey Shore , You and I are in the same zone. I am about a half hour north west of you.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks for posting this. I just ordered 2 because of glowing recommendations for this cultivar on another thread. I really appreciate the heads up!

You're quite welcome. It is a stand-out in the garden and can't be mistaken for any other clematis. It's a full 6" bloom.

Thumbnail by pirl
Louisville, KY

ordered mine. Thanks for the heads up pirl

You're quite welcome. We've got to keep Brushwood busy!

Athens, PA

They are always so nice at Brushwood!

Dan is a gem. I wrote, after seeing the delivery dates everyone had and FINALLY spotting the date on the Email confirmation, and changed it to late March. Dan Emailed back confirming the change.

Oh, how lovely it would be if all companies did business like Brushwood!

The Email shipment notice is an absolute blessing. It allows us time to dig our holes, amend the soil, and get ready to plant.

Athens, PA

I totally agree.

Another one of my favorites is Joy Creek Nursery. They too are excellent about the dates and communication.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I have to add that I also think Brushwood is one of the best. And thank you Pirl for adding the instructions on how to add to an order. I am going to add Ibi to my order at the least. I thought about the whites that I have,but I don't think any of them have the red center. Not sure where I would place it, but that's something to think about another day. Frankly Scarlet, I don't give a da....;)

My thoughts exactly, Louise. It's order first and then think of good spots for them - it works for me.

When I spotted Tibetana, back in May, I knew I had to have it. Of course it took a long time to figure out where it should go but I did come up with a great spot. Tibetana has to be 5' tall with several stems already though now it's sleeping for the winter. I love the tiny leaves and the yellow and the shape!

Here's the Brushwood photo of Tibetana. It grows 10 to 18' and it's a class 3, just in case I can tempt someone...

Thumbnail by pirl

Look at the Brushwood packaging...

Thumbnail by pirl

...the plants were wonderful!

Thumbnail by pirl

Wow they are big plants. I will check them out further.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I just ordered Omoshiro. I fell in love with it in another thread and told myself I had to get one. Thank you for posting this info and link.
I am having mine sent in mid March. I hope that isn't too early, but I can always set it up under my lights inside for a couple weeks.
I am so looking forward to spring!

You're quite welcome. I've grown many inside when the weather wouldn't cooperate outside.

By the way, I planted mine 10/27/2007 and it still has just one stem so I can't imagine the beauty out of four or five stems.

Athens, PA

Arlene

I know it is a type 2, but do you think if you cut it back to the first or second set of nodes, it will put more vines out? I know I was having the same issue with my one of my clems, and I piled more dirt over the crown and cut it way back. Mine was a type 3, but it went along way to adding to the bushiness of the plant.....

I know there was a suggestion on this forum quite some time ago about taking plastic pots and cutting the top 2-3 " of the pot off and then taking the ring of the pot that was just cut off and putting it around the plant as a collar and then filling the collar with dirt. By buring the crown of the plant in more soil, it is supposed to encourage more vines to sprout and also helps with any erosion that might occur when the plant is watered. I have not done this myself yet and for the last couple of years have resolved to do this, but just have run out of time each spring with all the spring chores that need to be done in the garden.

It is worth a try. Your Omoshiro is so gorgeous, I can just imagine if there were several more vines put forth.

I'll give it a try, Carolyn, and examine the one stem more closely since it may branch out at about 30". Can't do it today - caffeine has my hands waving even when I don't want them to and it's only because I ran out of decaf...never again. I wouldn't trust myself with anything sharp today!

I use broken pots to surround (as much as possible) of the clem - good use for the pots and it looks nice, too. Every year it gets more compost and the stump is decaying so I have to wonder if that's what makes the one stem produce so many flowers: I won't challenge success!

This broken pot is not surrounding Omoshiro but another clematis.

Thumbnail by pirl
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

A great thread pirl on your lovely Omoshiro clem and thanks for sharing that broken pot tip, I will use that idea!

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Pirl, what do you mean that the stump is decaying? Surely not the clematis stem? Like the idea of broken pots too.

Athens, PA

Arlene

Love the broken pot idea.....

Thanks, Sue, banana and Carolyn. I hate throwing away anything pretty and even just a plain old terra cotta pot looks nice protecting roots and serves to remind us to be careful of the plant.

It reminds me of a sign I saw:
Please don't walk on the plants. It makes them flat and hard to see.

Banana - Omoshiro was planted in 2007 at the side of a pine tree we had taken down in 1992. Nelly Moser went to the front in '92. Now the pine stump has been decaying for a 19 years but should only look nicer in time as it gets those jagged edges. By the time it's totally gone I'll be gone as well.

The clematis stem is fine. I did go out to take photos of it yesterday but it's all too confusing to sort out the vine from the wire on the stump so here's one I took in December and I hope it shows up satisfactorily. Look at the top of the granite, where I wrote Omoshiro, and go right for about half an inch on your screen and you'll spot the scrawny stem that rises and then does branch out as it climbs the stump.

Thumbnail by pirl

I do have a trellis to the right in case the stump decay speeds up and I need it.

If you like the look but don't have a stump, I'm sure your local company that cuts down trees can get you one (or cut one to the size you want) for very little money but do check before you make the deal.

All of the buds you see behind Omoshiro in this photo are Nelly Moser's.

Thumbnail by pirl

Nelly Moser with the stump in full view, taken a few years ago. Now there are multiple Nellies since they've layered themselves.

Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

Nelly is as pretty as Omoshiro. Both are so very pretty....

I'm glad they match and don't clash and that they're a bit apart in blooming time. I must have not been thinking when I planted Omoshiro so close to Nelly since their coloring is similar and yet they make a pretty picture.

Athens, PA

I think they are beautiful together..

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Pirl, do you take nelly to the ground every year? or let it bloom on the old wood?

She gets cut back to 12" or close to that.

I much prefer to have Nelly Moser covering the stump, as shown in this photo, and looking so lush than to have a spindly legged plant trying to climb a trellis and looking sparse.

Thumbnail by pirl
Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

she's a winner!! I have done both and agree, if I let it grow on the old wood it does look spindly and not as nice if I cut it shorter.
Thanks

Here's Niobe (spindly) and Jackmanii (robusto!) - both planted in 1992.

Can you tell how much Jackmanii loves backing up to the compost bin and getting the goodness from the compost every single day of the year?

This message was edited Jan 12, 2011 9:06 AM

Thumbnail by pirl
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

That is a great description.Thanks for reassuring me that the stem wasn't rotting! You have made what some would think of as an eyesore (a stump) into a beautiful highlight. Love the sedum in it too. Beautiful!!! Also love the granite marker. Did you engrave it?

Thanks for the compliments, banana. I do like the way the stump turned out and love the look of it. At one time I had a planter on the stump, before the major decay set in, and a few sprigs of the sedum 'Angelina' must have dropped off and rooted there.

I just used a felt tipped Calligraphy pen on the granite and do it over when it fades. Adult Education from long ago paid off nicely.

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.