DJ9'S WINTER ROBIN " IN FLIGHT " PT 3

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

here is a link to a few of my Dahlias That Bloomed this last summer .

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/skohler1949/2010%20DAHLIAS/

Athens, PA

Susie - Snowcap is gorgeous and I just love the white cactus one with the fuschia colored tips. They are beauties!

This one is Extasy. He has such nice large blooms and he is only about 14" tall.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

You people are all trying to turn me on to dahlias next, aren't you? LOL I love looking at all these - especially Victoria Ann and that Extasy - gorgeous.

Thanks, Susie, for the update.

I just started with brugs a few months ago and have been lucky enough to find some wonderful DGer's who have sent me some. I look at them every day, just waiting for the blooms -lol - from these wonderful, short logs stuck in pots in my grow room.

Athens, PA

Jana

I have not tried brugs yet. I have been looking at them...... What varieties do you have?

I also have just gotten into BRUGS What is wrong with my head ?? Now I Have to Start a thread to INTERVIEW A FEW Strong MEN to Carry them in & Out each season :) HEHE

Fat chance that would ever happen :)) they would have to be crazy wanting to live in this area & if that is true then I guess we could work great together :) hehe.

Anita I hear you got a few Inches if snow . the snow is all south of us . & west of us . & That is a ok with me .

I now have the stuffy head cold , sore thoat & fever is gone, what comes next ?
I hope on the mend :)

Well off to catch up on my other forums wishing you all a safe & Happy day .

susie

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

dj....got my lovely 'gift card' today. TYVM. That is very sweet!

I know what you mean Di. I look at mine just hopeing for a little green tint that might be becoming a leaf. lol I am NOT patient, although that is what everyone keeps telling me. Ok ok ... i will try!

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Of the dozen or so Dahlias I had this year, only Kelvin White bloomed. Here he is on October 30th. I'll never plant Dahlias again between rows of Cannas and deprive them from being in full sun. So much for my bright idea of trying to fill in and a sad lesson learned.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Eagle landed at my house Monday I opened it last night wow what a bunch of seeds. So I have gone thru 1 bag and will try and do the rest tonight and tomorrow night. So many in 1st bag I didn't even know what they were, I wore the computer out looking in the plant files.
Man what a bunch of seeds.
The bird will be back in the mail by Friday.

Yes you all are trying to get me started on Dalias also. I have 3 lots so I may make a dalia bed on one of them.

Poision dart get ready.

Lavina

Athens, PA

FOTV - Kelvin white is nice. Is he a dinnerplate? I love the Dinnerplates - I don't have any Dinnerplates anymore.......

GM ALL
Susan : I Have the Kevin Yellow & It Gets HUGE so I would like to try a white Kevin one day :)
Crit : Your welcome
LOOKS AS Maybe we Might have to do a dahlia swap come spring :) I Like surprises
Well The Snow fall is here coming down pretty good this morning .

think I'm on the mend , & I Hope the rest of you all stay well for the Holidays .
have a great day everyone .
susie

Athens, PA

oh! I would love a dahlia swap too!

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

FOTV, Beautiful Dahlia!

I would be happy to share the Dahlias that I have as long as no one minds not knowing what they are getting. LoL I have plenty! I'm game for a swap. That sounds like fun, Susie! Do you like how I just volunteered Susie for the swap hostess? I will gladly help anyway I can but I have never done a swap before. Maybe we should see how many would be interested???? Even if we only have 5 people, I'm still in for it!

I have several dahlias but have no idea of the name, just the colors. red, white, purple, yellow. beautiful huge flowers. my first year for them, bought them at a yard sale and the lady did not remember what was planted in the pots, just that they were bulbs of some kind. i basically bought pots of dirt with the hopes of getting some flowers. boy, am i glad i did. they are wonderful. would love to swap.

What a catch! I dream about deals like that!

FOTV do you have your Dahlias planted in full sun? When you say full sun I'm automatically thinking full (south facing) all day sun???

Here's another one of my favorites

Thumbnail by diamond9192002

Last one

Thumbnail by diamond9192002
Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Lavinamae, I have my Catcher's Mitt ready!

diamond-that is one beautiful flower !!
I think i need to find a book and learn more about them

Athens, PA

Karen - you are lucky enough to live in a zone where you probably would not have to lift them in the fall like the rest of us....

This one is called 'Crazy Love'

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Well i just posted on the other thread as to putting a bulb swap & Ya Know Why Not Just keep it into just BTW US 5-6 Players & Then we will each send to 2 People but it will be a secret of who we get from this way we can have a good mix :) OOOH Carolyn That Is also Very pretty.

& Yes Anita you can help in this :)))
well have to get this mess cleaned up back later

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I saw a lovely dahlia, red-orange and "spiky", looking like pictures of "cactus Dahlia", and would love to get my hands on one like it. The person who brought in the bloom had no idea what its name was and wasn't interested in sharing roots.

But I don't have anything like bulbs to trade for it. Eventually I hope to have Cana rhizomes and many kinds of Saliva bare roots, but that's "some day".

Corey

i would be interested in trading dahlias for salvias.

Athens, PA

Corey -

did it look like this?

This is Bon Bini - I lost this one last year.......

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Carolyn - here's my brugs: Sexy Lady, Susanna, Creamsickle, Daydreams, Jean Pasco, Wanda Sue, Volkie. Pink Perfection, Salmon Perfection, Super Spot, and 4-5 no ID pinks. If you're ever on the brugs forum there is a lady there names Elizabeth who lives 15 minutes away from me; she's very knowledgeable and has invited me over but I haven't had a chance to with my PIL so sick all the time. I know I'd probably spend all day at her house just drooling. I definitely want to get over there and visit her though and get some advice.

Crit- I'm just starting to get leaves! Yay, I have a few that I don't know if they'll make it or not but I do have leaves on a few of them and made everyone in my house look at them when I found them - lol

Di

I love dahlias and would love to be in a swap but I don't have any to trade. I pulled up a ton of cannas this year and a few EE's but forgot all about the dahlias I had and there weren't even that many - ACK!

Caroyln, BEAUTIFUL!!

Janae, I have two Dahlias I will front for you if you want to get involved in a dahlia swap.

Really? That would be wonderful...and so nice of you!! Thank you so much, Anita!

Athens, PA

I would love to do a dahlia swap.... I won't know what I have as far as eyes on my tubers until spring when it is time to divide them. I know of them were huge......

This is going to be fun...

No problem. I have enough, I just don't know what's what because I didn't mark them once I dug them up. I made 3 new gardens and extended 1, and have plans to make a couple more. I have more than enough seeds to do that and tropicals plants to dig up.

This is my first full year with Brugs. I had one outside in a pot but I didn't bury the bottom portion of the pot. My Brug did grow very well but she never bloomed. :-( I was so determined to have blooms that I set out looking for more Brugs. Some of the kind ladies in Cubits sent me some cuttings. Then my neighbor brought down two that had "y"ed for me to keep during the winter. I took a bunch oc cuttings from those. Now I have Brugs out of the wazoo! Now, I can let go of some Dahlia with no problem. I need to be able to give more attention to a couple rather than fuss with a bunch.

Carolyn, I'm still working on the eyes thing. I wanted to wash them down and examine each for eyes and divided them but it was too cold and I was not able to.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Carolyn,

That looks somewhat like it, but:
the petals were more curled and more pointed (more pointed than anything I found in Plant Files)
it was uniformly red-orange
the central "smooth part" was almost missing

The one I saw was almost like a big red pin-cushion.

I have so many grandiose garden plans that this one can afford to wait - maybe until I have a variety of Salvia types thriving.

Is it "several Salvia", or "several Salvias"?

Or even wait until I have available space in a flowerbed actually looking for something to live there, as opposed to dozens of plant varieties waiting for me to create soil for them.

Corey

LoL @ Corey - I think that is a gardeners' dream, to have enough garden space to accomodate all the plants we'd like to have. I'm not sure if I need a greenhouse or a field???

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Anita

I don't think either one of us has unreasonable desires - our needs could be met with a greenhouse as small as Joseph Paxton's 772,784 square foot "Crystal Palace" for the Great Exhibition of 1851.

And we could store all the seeds we want in something as small as the Svalbard Global Seed Vault.

Simple things. Like having enough time and energy to cultivate them all - or even fully appreciate them all!

"To dream the impossible dream ..."

Corey

LoL that works for me! Do you think we would ever get sick of seeing flowers?

Athens, PA

I never get sick of seeing flowers - there is something about seeing the new plants coming up in the spring that just warms my heart.

Somebody wanted to know about Nanhoe Blue and Black Knight Butterfly Bush - I have both.

May I have some please, Carolyn?

I begin working in a greenhouse in the next couple of weeks. I can hardly wait!

This message was edited Dec 8, 2010 9:19 PM

Athens, PA

Anita

Of course you can!

Wish I was working in a greenhouse...

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> sick of seeing flowers?

No, never!

(But I do get sick of seeing flowers eaten by slugs!)

>> working in a greenhouse

I alternate between "I wish I could" and "I bet they would make me work even faster than our microchips do doing braking antiskid on a 787".

Corey

Thanks carolyn

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Congrats, diamond, very excited for you! (I wish I had a greenhouse.)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.