Morning Glories 2010 #23

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Debra. So glad to have any mg blooms. Hoping for a mild
winter here.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Thought I'd post some of my I. purpurea vines that are currently blooming.

NOID light purple vine.

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Kniola Black blooms.

Crimson Rambler most likely.

Crimson rambler vine and bloom climbing along the I. sepacurtiensis vine.

Diluted Purple Flake blooms.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Really nice blooms. I love that dark Kniola Black.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

The Diluted Purple Flaked is really nice.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Beautiful!

Gautier, MS

Your blooms are really gorgeous Becky!!

Westmoreland, TN(Zone 7a)

Nice too see someone still has beautiful blooms

Thank you to everyone! The blooms/vines might be short-lived as we are getting cold weather tonight and for the next week. It will be interesting to see how the vines hold up with 40's at night.

Mesilla Park, NM

just popped in this morning to see the mgs, that white with yellow full flower on the white hige is very interesting, Becky do you remember if the higes seeds were black? Also, bag that baby. I don't know if you guys remember a white flower (purpurea) that I took photos of and tagged at a friends home. Well, she saved the seeds for me and something was very interesting to me anyway, the seeds were tan colored which I've not seen in this yellow hued before, these were cordate leaves. Here is the flower: Sometimes, the cream colored flowers look like they have a yellow hue, but are like those white brugs just opening up that look greenish yellow because they are not fully developed then turn completely white when they are a few days old, hopefully these pupureas stay this color.

I'll come back later after some appointments I've got.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Thanks to each of you! We've had some pretty chilly weather move into Florida and I am curious to see just how well the I. purpurea vines hold up. Low 40's at night.

Antoinette - All the hige seeds were black. I didn't have any with unusual tan seeds. You are probably right about the cream color having a yellow tint when looking at or photographing. Early morning bloom color will change to solid white here as well. Nothing seems predictable, does it?

A, that is beautiful. I had tan seeds and they gave me white I purps, but I never noticed if they were cream or yellow in the ams. Yours seem bigger than the ones I grew. I saved a bunch of seeds, but the tan seeds were random on the vine. That one almost looks light a lemony yellow.

I have had a vine give me tan seeds this year but they weren't white or yellow don't know if they will be pink or blue or maybe purple.
Gonna find out next year i have them separated out so i can see just what they will give me.

here is a vine with buds inside downstairs. It is my white moon vine alba. It seems to be happy where it is at.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Here is baby woodrose, with the I. Lutea both growing happily in this corner this winter.

Thumbnail by joeswife

This is a purple evening glory that has woke up and is leafing out. I am waiting for buds. The Chalice vine and rangoon creeper there are also waking up. They were both from cuttings. I am very pleased at how the cuttings are doing right now.

Thumbnail by joeswife

here is a caudex plant I rescued from my sons place, it has a new node peeking out.

Thumbnail by joeswife

I lifted I. Plantesis caudex and found a whole new Caudex tuber. It is in another pot. I like the legs this one has on it now.

oops forgot the picture

Thumbnail by joeswife

I broke a piece off of the alba moon vine, and stuck it in the corner of this tub this fall, with a rock over it, It has roots..

Thumbnail by joeswife

I planted it and now it is next to the other vines, it's stem with leaf bumps climbing the pole, it is right above the coleus there. I am showing this so I can post its progress. I. Lind Number 2 is also starting to wake up and vine.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Wonderful i love the pics thanks for sharing.

Robbie

Thanks Robbie, it is always just an experiment for me here in the winter, to see what can happen.

Debra - I really like the look of your new Caudex tuber! Was the tuber a split off from the original I. Plantesis caudex or from seed? I am not that familiar with caudex tubers yet as I have only grown just the one (currently).

I can't believe you are getting flower buds on you I. alba vine! That's amazing!!! I might have to try growing one indoors as well. They are the last MGs to germinate outdoors and the last to start blooming outside as well!

You're doing such an amazing job! How big is your basement? It looks quite large! Looks like the size of a medium to large size greenhouse. I am in awe at how many plants you can provide for in your basement! Pretty amazing!

Thanks, Becky. The tuber I rescued from Charlies Place was an I. machorriza ( I can't Spell it) I got from Emma on her ebay site. It was started from a seed stuck down in the soil by his fence . He had two of them, I sent one to a friend. The I. Plantesis I purchased from Top Tropicals two years ago during one of their close out sales. The I. Plantesis was the one that developed a separate caudex tuber, which I am now rooting for another friend. My basement is 1900 square foot, one half of it is tiled and walled in, the other half is roughed in. I have the south end of this main room for plants, and the other two growing areas are in Charlies room downstairs, and the Freezer room. Can't see much from this angle, but here you can see the dividing wall, looking south.across from this paneled wall is the rough wall East side. I have paper down to catch the leaves and stuff I pick off when I am grooming my plants, and for Duke if he is home alone. It works quite well, using the three walls, east west and south. I have a big blue tub full of water and a pump to keep it fresh, with the fertilizer and anti fungal and insect stuff ( neem oil and tea tree oil) already in it for filling the jugs and water cans. It is easier than going up and down the stairs, there is a toilet and two faucets hooked up on the other side of that dividing wall.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra - Wow! That room is bigger than the living space in my home! A VERY NICE sized indoor greenroom!!! How many lights do you have in that area? Are they grow lights or just regular lights? Does it get hot down there with all the lights or do the lights keep it warmer down there as you probably don't have heating down there? Or do you?

Hi Becky, It is fully heated. I have most of the vents shut, tho. I have cfl lights clamp on all over each wall, and a cfl bulb in the main overhead light. 13 on each wall except the south wall, there are only 5. I use a high lumins regular daylight bulb. In the freezer room Joe put up a shop light. My sister put up some wire shelves. This area is still a work in progress, my son brought me back my little round wire patio table and I use it to sit at in here with the big shop light on facing me. This room is about 10 by 12 here.. but this is one little corner where I am setting up plants.

Thumbnail by joeswife

This is about as good of shot I can get right now of the main room. the other end of this basement is where there is a bar, a sectional, a computor desk, etc etc. No one comes down here except Joe to iron his jeans while he listens to his music, which is on the bar. . there are two doors leading to the other side. One goes to the toilet and faucet area, and the other to the freezer room and Charlies old room, which is now full of plants. I am glad Joe lets me do this, it keeps me happy in the winter.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra - I have serious greenroom envy!!! Your basement is rockin' awesome set-up for a winter greenhouse! I bet you love to sit down there in the winter and enjoy the "sunlight" and lush garden! :-) :-) :-)

Debra you've got an awesome setup it must be soooo nice to have all that room for your plants.

Robbie

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Debra awesome setup and my DH thinks I've got alot of plants...lol!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.