CLOSED: DJ9'S WINTER ROBIN " IN FLIGHT " PT 2

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

WE CAME FROM HERE : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1139033/#new
WE CAME FROM HERE : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1135676/
GUIDELINES ARE HERE: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1134330/
WISH LIST HERE: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1126495/

Please all I Ask is for you all to be Curtious & Post when the robin arrives & When you have Put him hack in the air
I Have the conf# so you do not have to post the conf# I will send the # 's to anyone wanting to keep track .

Also please post the week before the robin is do to land at your place so we know you are watching.
Most of all just have fun My PHONE # Is In the Robin if you are unable to get online to post .

YOU MAY USE YOUR OWN MAILING PRINT OUT ALL I ASK IS THAT YOU WILL DMAIL ME
THE CONF #

FLIGHT PATTERN FOR THIS ROBIN IS

RickCorey_WA--------WA---LANDED ---NOV 6 TH
SHERMAN99----------CALF--LANDED---NOV 10 TH
txaggiegal---------------TX-----LANDED --NOV 16 TH
LazLo---------------------TX----LANDED --NOV 16 TH
DMTOM-----------------TX---LANDED ----NOV 22 ND
DIRTYGIRL71----------FLA
bethw336---------------NC
LAVINAMAE --------NC
POISONDARTFROG---------KY
FRUITOF THEVINE--------VA
gardenseeder63---------NH
MOMOFTWO607-----------NY
KOBWEBZ------------NY
CAROLYN22------------PA
igrowinpa-------------PA
MERRYMATH---------PA
NisiNJ----------NJ
JANAESTONE----------OH
DIAMOND9192002-------IND
MAXINE--------------WI

SECOND TIME AROUND

RICKCOREY-----------WA
GARDENSEEDER ----- NH
deejay9----------------MI

IF YOU HAVEN'T MADE YOUR GUESS PLEASE DO
ROBIN GUESSES TO ARRIVE AT MAXINES ALL GUESSES DO BY SAT NOV 20 TH

IF YOUR GIFT IS DEAD ON THE DATE YOU WILL RECIEVE A GIFT CARD
TO USE AT YOUR LOCAL WAL-MART -LOWES-OR MENARDS YOUR CHOICE.

SO GET YOUR GUESSES IN SOON NO MORE GUESSES AFTER THE 20TH.

MOMOFTWO607-------JAN 3 RD
JANAESTONE--------JAN 11 TH
KOBWEBZ------------JAN 15 TH
MERRYMATH--------JAN 18 TH
MAXINE-------------JAN 25 TH
DMTOM-------------JAN 28 TH
NISINJ--------------FEB 3 RD
GARDENSEEDER63------FEB 9 TH
LAVINAMAE-----------FEB 13 TH
BETHW336-----------FEB 16 TH
POISONDARTFROG---FEB 17 TH
SHERMAN99---------FEB 25 TH
DIAMOND9192002----MARCH 1 ST

This message was edited Nov 14, 2010 11:13 AM

This message was edited Nov 15, 2010 7:43 AM

This message was edited Nov 15, 2010 4:02 PM

This message was edited Nov 15, 2010 5:57 PM

This message was edited Nov 26, 2010 6:40 AM

Thumbnail by deejay9

WILL YOU BE WINTER SOWING ???
PLEASE SHARE US WHAT YOU ARE PLANNING TO SOW i WILL BE BACK WITH MY LIST SOON .

This message was edited Nov 14, 2010 9:26 AM

THESE PLAYERS HAVE NOT TAKEN A GUESS AS TO WHEN THE rOBIN WILL LAND AT MAXINE'S
IF YOU WANT TO PLAY PLEASE POST YOU GUESS BE SURE THE DATE HAS NOT BEEN TAKEN .

RICKCOREY--------WA
txaggiegal---------------TX
LazLo---------------------TX
DMTOM-----------------TX
DIRTYGIRL71----------FLA
bethw336---------------NC
LAVINAMAE --------NC
CAROLYN22------------PA
igrowinpa-------------PA
MAXINE--------------WI

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

I will guess Jan. 25th allowing 3 to 4 days at each place including the mail delivery.

Maxine

THAT Is My Fathers B-day HEHE 98 yrs old .

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Have a son whose birthday is the 14th and a daughter whose birthday is the 20th of Jan. You used to keep us busy with birthday parties.

Maxine

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

Susie, I am planning to winter sow again this year. I had so much success last year, that I believe I will be doing it every year from now on. LoL

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I "plan" to winter sow for the first time, once I trust that I have adequately-draining soil, and a way to keep ENOUGH rain out. Tented plastic film on top with just a few slits? My next attempt at adequately-draining seed-starting soil will add pine bark chunks to Jiffy-Mix.

And I need to find a way to make it "sighlty" enough to not offend neighbors who live in my lap, and are already amazingly patient with my clutter and hill-of-clay and little compost heap.

And a way to keep it all from blowing away or being trashed by animals.

Maybe one big tub with a clear lid with slits.
Maybe a chicken-wire "corall" on the porch,
plus some way to make it look tidy instead of trashy.

(Fortunately, one neighbor was a farm girl decades ago, and the other moved out ... but her realtor comes by, and I wouldn't want to drive away buyers.)

P.S. I sowed some perennials indoors ~12 weeks before the first frost, and some of those are now several inches tall in 3.5" pots or small "insert tray cells". I hardened them off weeks ago, and they have been outside since, somei8tmes under a roof and somtimes exposd to light rain.

Some Columbines surprised me by ALL sprouting and there are 3 per small cell. I FINALLY got a few butterfly weeds (Asclepious tuberosa) to survive to 2-3 inches tall.

I guess frost is likely in a week or so.

I hesitate to put seedlings that small in the soil, expecting them to be dug up by squirrels or cats, rot, or be eaten by slugs and bugs as soon as it warms up. I'm hoping to protect them until they are bigger and better able to survive, then plant them out several weeks after last frost.

The question is:

Can I over-winter these seedlings in 3.5" pots?

What would be a good way to protect them, like a WS tub?

Or should I throw them into the ground, risk rot and sprimtime slugs, and maybe cover them with chicken wire?

I don't trust my construction skills or time budgeting enough to think I could make a solar cold frame overnight, and protect them from frost all winter.

Any ideas are welcome, including "you should have started them months earlier". The seeds that WERE started much earlier either went into the ground or died long ago.

Corey

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Poisondartfrog

I agree that the postal calulator site is easy to use, to get the price for one weight, size and distance.

http://postcalc.usps.gov/

I would like to be able to predict the price change for things like different distances and chnages in box size and shape. Trying to read and understand all the regulations and attachments and addenda overwhelemed me.

I thought that "any dimension over 12 inches" made a difference - but for tests I'vwe done with the calc site, nope. Looking again at the regs, maybe the "size matters" issue is only about "balloon rate" for light things with a girth over 108" ... I dunno.

You're right that the calc site is easy to use for one particular box, and I sometimes use it for "what if" tests to see where the big price changes come from.

BTW: I always thought that plain, flat First Class envelopes were 44 cents for EACH ounce. NOPE! Recently the second ounce only cost an extra 17 cents.

What do I know?

Corey

Corey

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

Noticed that you have me in PA Theresa. Want to make sure that is a typo, and the address labels don't put me there. Thanks Annette

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I hope its at my door by Dec. 15th
I feel like I am waiting on Santa''

Lavina

Gm all
anette I will change the typo thank you .

LAVINA: We are guessing as to when will the Robin Reach MAXINE"S Before it goes around for the 2nd time .
SO ALL OF YOU Please PUT Your guess in .
Going to change the date to get your guesses in by NOV 20th
this NEXT sat.

well coffee is about gone have a few dmail to take care of then it is off to feed & water my critters :)
ya all have a great day .

I HAVE UP-DATED THE GUESSES FOR WHEN THE ROBIN WILL LAND AT MAXINES SO IF YOU WANT IN ON THE PRIZE PLEASE GET YOUR GUESSES IN .

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

I'll go with Jan 28. Just a few more days for me, can't wait.

Dane

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Gee, I hope it doesn't take until March to get to my place!! LOL
I start winter sowing the 1st of April in my greenhouse. It has no heat other than a small milkhouse heater [left over from the farm] that I use for heat at night. In the day time unless it is cloudy have to worry about how warm it gets.
Really looking forward to trying some new things this yr. Want to order, but trying to wait until the Robin gets here.
Corey, I think that you should leave your seedlings in the pots in a protected place from wind and rain. If you get some cold days, use a blanket to throw over them, unless you have jillions started.

Maxine

I Have been out planting a few seeds this morning mostly my peony poppies I Have a small problem

a friend had sent me some Black peony poppies & Also some Purple peony poppies & I think i got them mixed
up in the robbin would someone please check for me & save out a few for me PLEASE .
i have been through all my seeds & I cannot find any where .
really wanted to get them planted this month .
I Also planted some of my dianthus & sweet williams , & More columbines anyone have any chocolate sholder columbine ????
well i have to go fix lunch for daddy then its off to the outdoors once again .

Hope the robin lands today Dane or maryann can you let us Know about the Big Get together ???

susie

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

The back hoe got here this morn to start the septic system. I don't think we will be going anywhere soon.

Dane

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Maxine,

>> Corey, I think that you should leave your seedlings in the pots in a protected place from wind and rain.

That sounds good. I re-thought the 'cloche & row cover' idea ... I wouldn't want to trick them into starting growing again, only to hit a really cold day. Probably a "cold cold frame" would be best, just to keep little pots from going though freeze-thaw cycles every day. I guess on the porch, out of the sun/rain/wind.

I THOUGHT the slugs were hibernating until I went to cut a few fading marigolds - they were still eating the blooms!

Corey

This message was edited Nov 15, 2010 11:41 AM

Hi all! Maxine, I'm with you, I cannot wait to start winter sowing so I would love it if the Robin got here by the end of January. I was trying to factor in the holidays...Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Presidents Day and Martin Luther King Day. That's 5 days that the PO will be closed.

Susie, I have some Dianthus. I thought those were annuals??? I hope you find the black poppies and plant those close to the purple poppies. That would be a beautiful color combo. I want to have a black, blue and purple garden.

Athens, PA

Corey

how mature are these seedlings? When were they started? The freezing and thawing is a natural part of the plants waking up and seeds starting to germinate. I do a lot of heeling things in during the winter, however, these are plants that are either too small to plant out - like new clematis or plants that I have acquired too late in the season. I have had very good luck with this practice.

On the other hand, if these seedlings are new, they may do better inside. What kind are they and how new are they?

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

OK my guess for the package to land at Maxine's is February the 13th.

Lavina

Winston Salem, NC

Looking forward to seeing the robin--looks like it's getting closer to me!

Beth

My guess for when the robin reaches Maxine's is Feb 6.

TY BETH & LAVINA WILL POST YOUR GUESSES UP TOP

Just checked the conf # & It still says it was prossed in calif on the 12th but there is still no up-date on it .
Dane sorry to hear about the septic problem just went throught that about 2 yrs ago .

Well a friend of mine has been in the hospital & coming home today so other friends & Myself have collected a few things to fix him up a great box of Goodies while he has to be laid up :)
think i might have to hirer a strong guy to come put it in the car for me :)

well i think i will get back at the box chat soon

THESE PLAYERS HAVE NOT TAKEN A GUESS AS TO WHEN THE rOBIN WILL LAND AT MAXINE'S
IF YOU WANT TO PLAY PLEASE POST YOU GUESS BE SURE THE DATE HAS NOT BEEN TAKEN .

RICKCOREY--------WA
txaggiegal---------------TX
LazLo---------------------TX
DIRTYGIRL71----------FLA
CAROLYN22------------PA
igrowinpa-------------PA

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I'll guess jan 5.

Corey

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Carolyn,

>> how mature are these seedlings? When were they started?

Around 2-3" tall, around 8-9 weeks ago.

Butterfly flower (Asclepius tuberosa) looking strong with ~ 3 pairs of real leaves.
Delphinium, the slower-growing ones in the tray, fading and looking weaker, I may give up on them
Columbine, that shot up quickly and now are not so happy and starting to droop, only a few small laves.

Maybe I should admit that I stressed the feeble ones too much, and let them go to the great compost heap in the sky. I know I can start more next spring.

But I have failed with starting Butterfly Weeds indoors so many times, that I would really like these 5-6 seedlings to survive if possible. And they look willing. I'm usually reluctant to let sedlings out of the house, because they tended to disappear so quckly. (I am new to growing perennials - from several trays, I have only one surviving delphinium that looks like a machine-gun target, and many seedlings that were all abducted by aliens (or slugs).)

Probably my main cause of outdoor seedling death has been slugs, and they are slower and fewer now, even if not hibernating as I thought yesterday. The bums were eating my remaining marigold blooms!

I guess I could plop them into the ground, sprinkle Sluggo, and pray. I liked the idea of "indoors under lights", but maybe that is like a prent coddling children, or not letting the cat outside ... ever.

Might putting a cylinder of clear plastic around them, buried 2-3" deep and extending up 5-6", help protect them from slugs & bugs?

I realized I shouldn't give them too much warmth outdoors, or they'll resume growth just in time to freeze solid.

If you saw the Stalag Chickenwire I put over my bulbs, you might laugh at my over-protectiveness, but at least the cats aren't digging and pooping there anymore!

Corey

COREY YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT THIS SITE

http://www.daytonnursery.com/tips/Slug%20Resistant%20Plants.htm

GOOD NITE ALL MOVIE TIME

Athens, PA

Corey - I had always heard if you put out a pie plate full of beer out, the slugs will crawl in an drown...... it's worth a try. I have not tried sluggo myself, however I came very close to it this past year. Seems like there were more slugs than normal this year......there is something so disgusting about slugs!

I agree with you Carolyn. Slugs remind me of snakes slithering around in my garden eating my plants.

Corey, have you tried milk jugs or 2 liter bottles? Take the caps off cut them in half - top to bottom, then cut drainage holes in the bottom and vent holes in the top. Add your moisten potting mix, then your seeds. Tape the tops back on the containers and set out in cardboard boxes. The boxes will offer some protection from critters. You will have a minigreenhouse out in the elements. You plants will get water from the elements while warmth from the containers will assist with germination. Next spring you will have several plants ready to be ready for transplanting.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Western WA had a plauge of slugs this year, strangers in a nursery were grumbling and the PNW forum agreed.

Thanks, deejay. It would be great if certain strains of things I want to grow are resistant.

I've heard variations on the beer trap:

saucers
tuna cans
plastic tubs
things with lids with slits, to keep rain out but let slugs in.
anything sweet plus yeast

Also, claimed:
"they dont like to cross sharp gravel"
"they won't cross copper sheet"
"some kinds will eat other slugs"

Corey

But I think you have to throw out the rotting slugs and refresh the beer daily or every other day.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Anita

That sounds like winter sowing, if I understand you right. It's been on my list for a while, to get aorund to. the point that slugs will have a harder time getting in (if I keep holes and slits small enoguh) is a really good bonus I had not given sufficient weight.

The idea of containing it all is necessary, due to wind and animals bigger than slugs, and neighbors who already put up with a lot of clutter.

Around here, cardboard becomes mush in about 12 hours, since it rains about that often ... something like boxes or a knee-high fence made of thin but stiff sheet plastic would be cool.

I'm starting to think along the lines of a chicken wire corral, maybe shielded from sight with spun fabric anchored against wind.

(The next step up form that would be a cold frame, which I do lust after: remove 4 big bushes along the south side of the house, and some lean-to arrangeemnt of corrugated plastic sheets, heat-molded ... one of these years. Then I could put seedling trays outside weeks or motnhs earlier, and get several batches out of my little illuminated space indoors.)

Or maybe just WS jugs in a chicken wire corral in a hidden part of the yard, which would mean very deep shade.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Corey

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Deejay,

RE slug-resistant plants -

There was some good news, and some "so THAT's why they survived!"
I see now why Shasta daisies, ferns and Siberian Wallflowers keep on chugging away.

Best news: Sage / Salvia has a chance.
Also: Columbines, Cosmos, Lobellia, Poppies, Forget-me-nots and Snapdragons.
Daylilies?
Lavender?
Nepeta mint?
Cool! I had plans for them, now they're closer to the top of my list.

There are others i';ll look into at some point, but this should keep me busy with things that do have a chnace.

I like Delphiniums so much that I'll kepp trying, but probably that is where I should concentrate the beer traps and Sluugo (or ammonia spray, some say).

Bok Choy and chard manage, I think by growing faster than the slugs can keep up with.

THANKS!

Corey

Corey

GM All just checked on the robin & I'm still getting the same message

Your item was processed through and left our SAN BERNARDINO, CA 92403 facility on November 12, 2010. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.
Lets hope they get the lead out of their pants & Put wings on that bird to get to its New Nest .

Corey I Thought maybe by planting Plants they do not like around the plants that they seem to be attacking
it might help .

another thing you might want to try is to get you a couple turkeys :) they love bugs & Do not seem to eat the plants :) I Have 4 that walk the gardens Plus my peahen & I Didn't have any noticable bugs at all this year,

I put them into their fenced in area in the eveing so they are protected while they perch, but come morning
they are free to run the yard & Eat bugs, grass , whatever they want .

in fact time to go let them out :) back later

Corey, I forget that you have the rainy weather that attracts the slugs. Have you ever tried Diatomaceous Earth?

Deep South, TX(Zone 9b)

Any reason your not using snail bait? I have small ~1/4" snails and a sprinkling every once in a while keeps them under control.

Dane

I think the Diatomaceous Earth would probably wash into the ground first rain.

This message was edited Nov 16, 2010 7:58 AM

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I priced the Diatomaceous Earth at the local Grange / co-op and it was very expnsive. Also, some of the PNW people said "yeah, right, when it ain't raining!" (Meaning, on days not ending in "Y".)

I do sprinkle the Iron Phosphate Sluggo, and used the much-more-effective metaldehyde-based product until I saw that its breakdown products were indeed persistent and toxic. They also need to be renewed after rain (i.e., continuously in spring and fall).

Deejay:
>> by planting Plants they do not like around the plants that they seem to be attacking

Txaggiegal also suggested that, like aromatic sage and thyme. As I get them to grow, I think I will intersperse them around the delphiniums. "Learn how to start cuttings without rotting them" goes onto my To-Do list ... (which is now two pages long). But naything that repels slugs has high priority!

The slug problem was so severe last year that it may even drive me to be smart about this, and de-emphasis the plants they love most. I don't care if they devour the hosta that prior owners planted, but I love delphiniums!

Corey

Corey, I have heard good things about the copper keeping slugs away. You wouldn't have to reapply it.
One product called Measural, is a slug control bait that comes in a small pellet form that can be applied precisely where the slugs like to hide during the daytime, under the shade of plants.

Belton, TX

The Robin arrived here in Belton about 10 minutes ago...thank you Sherman99...it's in good shape...$25 in postage for priority.

Will keep you posted. MaryAnn

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> Measural

I wasn't able to find it with Google, but I'll keep my eyes open. Iron phosphate Sluggo has been somewhat hepful for a few days, and the metaldehyde products much more so, but now I don't like to use the metaldehyde. That search did turn up an online source of diatomaceous earth at 1/3 or 1/4 the price of the local "co-op".

I used to discard the idea of copper tape because I didn't plan to criss-cross my whole yard, but I have already decided to keep all my delphs in one bed. That would be possible to surround with tape! I think that is a measure I will adopt ... and start by surrounding my seedlings with a "magic circle".

Leached copper ions can't be as bad for the ground water as aluminium, and there is no shortage of Al cans scattered about.

Thanks for reminding me to re-think that!

Corey

I hate to hear of slugs munching on your favorite plants. I had to declare war with a couple of chipmunks. They are so cute but so destructive! I don't want to kill them but I want to make their visit to my garden as unpleasurable as possible. LoL

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Fortunately, my only experience with cute chipmunks was in a yard where the only "gardening" involved a lawn, and trees.

I lost any fondness for squirrels (@#$% tree rats!) long ago.

Ground Thai chili pepper powder (in combination with chicken wire) may be deterring the squirrels for now, and even without chciken wire it prevented squirrels and cats from using a new bed as a catbox ... until it rained.

Why don't squirrels eat slugs?!?

Corey

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.