Plant propagation part XXIII based on my own experience

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Hello to everyone and welcome:
To those new to our little chat. Plese feel free ask anything, as we try to keep it simple and fee l/we should always pass along our own knowledge. Lurkers are also welcome. Please check in if possible I would hate to loose someone in one of these switches.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1131254/

As with all of the threads I stat I like to welcome anyone new to our little corner of Daves Garden. Please take the time to read all the past threads. Most of them have some great information in them. There are no dumb questions except for the 1 thats never asked.

Anyone new I highly recomend reading the propagation how to 1/4 of the way down the first incarnation of this thread.we have evolved to a mix of good people having fun and discussing issues we are having at the moment. if you need individualhelp just dmail me I am always glad to help.
here is the 1st post http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/892721/

the pic is of Shooting Star - Dodecatheon I will be growing it next year as you can see its different like we are all different in our own special way.
Dave

thank you for the intrest and welcome

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Ha ha I found you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Me too Lee. Dave are you really trying to ditch us?

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

no way jose' shhhh we are suposed to be sleeping .... in case you are wondering.... I was on a mad hunt for bulk perrienial seed. I may sleep in ......ya think????? ta

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Howdy:
ok someone asked how i managed to manuver that large piece of ground cloth. well i pinned down on corner and then pinned the side along the landscape timbers. from there I was able to pull it fkat and pin it in other places. I have discovered I will have to peel back the one corner in the middle of the yard and lay down a couple of bags of the decompressed granit to firm up the soil below. The pins I used were bought in the drip irrigation area. they are used for holding the feeder tube in place so it can be covered with mulch and it wont move around working the mulch away from the pipe. I am going to butcher some coat hangers to make more pins. what can I say I am cheap and it seems we have a lot of extra hangers since we lost a few bodies in the house. we are down to Kim and my self and our niece Brandy who is a junior in highschool.
the decomposed granit is basically pulverized tiny pieces of granit with different sizes of rock in it. it drains but it also firms up the mud. I really like it an am planning to do the rest of my walkways in the nursery with it before I lay down more cloth.
I finished sticking the phlox cuttings today and am looking forward to the show next spring. I think I have about 20 trays of pink and blue with the blue having maybe 1 more flat than the pink. I am going to sell the 3.5" pots for $1.50 each or $20.00 a flat of 18 once they are rooted out. Phlox is one of those odd plants that will continue to grow through the winter.
I have been tossing the idea around and have kind of landed on the conclusion that some crops can be grown in the unheated greenhouse and in cold frames. I recieved a catalog from NC farms the other day and in it they are pointing out the crops that can be grown in the cold winter month's as long as it does not freeze. I will post the complete list on my next posting.
some of the plants that can be grown in an unheated Greenhouse/cold frame. Carnations (dianthus) Snap Dragon's,Pansies. Johny Jump ups (viola's), Flowering cabbage and Kale, Phlox. i think it boils down to the fact that plants continue to grow in the warmer reagons while dormant. Think back to the old saying "Fall is for planting" In the tulsa area they promote planting of trees shrubs and perrienials. just because we don't see it happening doesn't mean its not growing.
I am going to say good night to all as you might have noticed I posted all night last night. well its caught up with me and I find myself fadeing fast.
Have a greay evening
Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Dave, we crossposted on the other thread so am bringing my post here.

LOL, JB you are like Bob's mom. She is 90 years old and called us from the hospital last Friday. I sure was glad I had her on our family plan with the phone company. The hospitals will not let her call long distance to tell us she is there. With what they charge, I think that stinks.

Dave, I bought a whole bunch of those Thuyas in Seattle years ago and planted them like I was told, they were balled in burlap so just layed it open and planted them? Yeah, right. Well, they died the second year they were in. I pulled them up and the roots were still in the ball of clay they grew them in. They just cut off the roots and made a small ball of clay around them. I sat and used a screw driver to dig out the clay between the roots and using a hose of running water finally planted them and saved a few. So, be careful what you get and how you plant them. I think I would buy one first and see what kind of roots they have.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

It was cloudy, damp and foggy as well as misty for the past three days along the coast. This was taken on Tuesday.... I have more if you want, or should I try to upload them to an album? (I don't have an account anymore since I got rid of Auctiva.)

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden

Santa Monica Pier....

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, I love the Seagulls Evelyn. One time in Seattle I had to call the building maintenance at work and have them go up to the people on the upper floors and make them quit feeding the seagulls because they were strafing the building and covering our windows. They had just finished cleaning the building (brick). Making a mess.

But, I do love them and miss them. That is a real nice picture. I think you should make an album of your trip. That would be very nice. Sounds like you had a nice relaxing one.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well we had more rain in the last 4 days than we had in the last 8 months. And we had a great lightening and thunder show the last two nights that were fantastic.

Lee, I got your box today. Thank you so very much. I am going to look up everything tomorrow. I think I got enough of the total plant which I believe is the "blue" flower. I am so happy. And now I have your address.

Your tree is not a Mimosa. My neighbor has your tree and he is out of town on a business trip. He will be back tomorrow and I will get the name. They grown like a weed and its roots are the ones I am constantly digging out of the bed by my driveway.
They grow under the fence looking for water. They flower in the spring with a small yellow flower. I pull them out of my flower beds all the time. They seed extremely easy.

Dave, I can tell you love your in law. I have a few people I feel that way about. Lucky I do not see them often. Why do you have their children. Probably the reason I put my sisters child through EMT school and he is now a fireman in California. Great job. He is extremely thankful but his father thinks I should have sent him to Harvard or Yale. Thank goodness he and my sister are divorced so I only see him if the children get married and that does not look like that is going to happen. That is another long story told over JB's Gin. LOL.

I will check in tomorrow. I am really tired. No photos because no sun.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

We cross posted Evelyn and Jnette. Goodnight.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sharon, I don't understand, are you saying the tree Lee has is the same one growing in your and your neighbor's yards? How can that be when the zones and weather are so different? That is a real puzzle to me.

Here is a funny one...see the fellow taking a nap?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Have no idea but it is exactly the same tree. She send me a seed pod and a branch with leaves. It is just weird that my neighbor has the tree. I do not, I have the Mimosa.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Evelyn, crossed posted again. It looks to me like he might be dead. Does not look very comfortable.

He did get up later and walk around, so he wasn't dead, though maybe he had been drunk, I did not get close to him but saw him from a distance.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

What a funny picture. I thought the same as Sharon. But then decided like you that he was drunk. The crutches like that gave him away. But the sign says it all.

We better watch out, what is it that JB calls us? When we are up and talking so late? Late to her. Can't remember, Rowdy West Coast bunch or something like that. LOL, she is so cute. Now that I see her I don't know how she keeps her hair so nice and neat, and does so much work. LOL, now we can talk about her when we know she is asleep.

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Only thing different from what all of you say is that I have never seen blooms on this tree, neither yellow or pink. The roots don't seem to travel either. Maybe it is because it is in with other trees and flowers and has a irrigation lead to it, the same as the others, so it gets plenty of water. The same goes for the little one that is in a different area, and also in a flower bed with same type of irrigation leads. If it is like a weed, it sure must like its area cuz it hasn't spread. I am so confused************(nothing new) :) Boy, I hope it doesn't start spreading, DH will cut it down for sure, and I really like it. We do, however, cut down the Smoke tree every year. They also tell me that its roots will take over, but by cutting it down, we havn't had that problem. It does have suckers from the main root, and we cut them out when we see them.
Sharon, hope you can get the blues started. I know I left a lot of soil on them, but thought it might help. You can also see what I have to contend with in growing things. That bed had been mulched heavily and still the gumbo is like stone. Hopefully they will start for you, just remember they spread once they do start, and I think they bloom the year after, not the same one. At least it seems like they do. Enjoy!!
Lee

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

good evening everyone:

Lee: they bloom in the spring and it should give you a good show. it has to flower as its putting on seed pods. I am guessing its way to hot to be looking at them when they bloom. If possible I would like to get a start off your smoke tree next year when you cut it back. if possible.

Mary: I am selling some of the stock plants I bought in for$5.00 I bought too many and need to get some of my money back from them. shipping will be what it costs which most likely will be the 10.70 or 14.50. Please let em know if you want some, as I am bumping up the plants I got from them and I really don't need all of them.

The phlox should be ready next spring. I willmost likely be posting pic as I am sure I will have a huge show from all of them.

Jeanette: You asked about the decompressed granite. here is a pic of the bag. I think it allows water to flow through it but is tight enough to keep weeds from poping up.

My idea is to lay down gravel in the walkways once I get the ground cloth installed. I still have a bunch of plants to move as well as transplant. my thought is that the cells will weather the winter a lot better in larger pots with more soil for insulation.
has anyone priced new 3 gallon/10" pots lately? Geeze its gone through the roof. I am hopeing to find some used pots locally to offset the expense. a dollar each wow what happened????

a while back we were discussing coir for a soil mix. I just looked at a blend of coir, peat and soil absorb crystals
"Wonder Soil Brick
Just add water to the compressed Wonder Soil and watch it expand to 14 times its original volume. Great for seed starting, this soil-less growing medium contains a mix of coconut coir, peat moss, nutrients, and water-absorbing polymers. These special biodegradable polymers store and release water as needed, for healthier plants and less watering. Recommended for containers, cuttings, or adding to planting holes to reduce watering. This 24 oz brick produces over 15 lbs. of potting mix. (About 12 quarts.)"
any thoughts on this product? its $6.42 plus shipping.

well it seems my brain has gone blank... not hard to do this time of the evening.
Have a great evening
Dave

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes Dave, I bought about 6 of the Wonder Blocks and had my daughter bring them over last spring from Seattle and then found some locally cheaper. However, I don't think the quality of the cheaper ones is as good. I bought another half dozen of those before I opened them. They aren't bad, but not as good as the other. I would have to look at the labels 'cause they both looked the same. I'll bet the ones I got are what they are doing more recently for some reason. I will have to look again. Haven't done anything with them since spring.

I bought some from that local nursery 2 different times and finally he asked me what I was doing with them. Here he was carrying the product and didn't know anything about it. The last time I was over there I saw he had a wheel borrow full of it and was using it to supplement his potting soil. LOL

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Where is everyone tonight. I thought I would have a whole bunch of reading to do and just found Dave!! LOL, nothing wrong with Dave, but he is in the middle of the country. Where is that terrible West Coast rowdy bunch?

Dave, how can granite decompose? I thought granite was a stone. Is it ground up? Why would they call that decomposed? How much does a bag cover, and how much does a bag cost?

Evelyn, do you want some cuttings of my Nine Bark? They would have to be unrooted 'cause I have all of those brugs in 2 bubblers (big waste baskets) so no room for more. Also, they have spider mites. The brugs do. You would not want those.

The Nine Bark is "Center Glow" I think. I will have to look tomorrow.

Are you home from your trip now Evelyn?

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Dave, you will have to let me know how to harvest the starts from the "Smoke tree" I know absouletly nothing about it, just that if left alone year after year it would get huge. Cutting it back keeps it about 6-8foot tall. you are more than welcome to as many starts as you want. Finally I have something I can repay you with.
Jeanette, I am with you, All day yesterday this was blank. I thought I was the only one left on this earth :)
Where is everyone? JB I worry about you, let us know you are OK, please.
Who was it that is working with oleanders? I have two trees, about 5-6 ft tall, in large pots. I bring them in each winter and have had them about 3 years or so. When should I repot? How do I start the seeds, they are kinda funny looking and I would love some starts of yours if they aren't too expensive. The ones I have are pink. I did take cuttings of the two SPV I bought this year, as you remember, all the others went to plant heaven last year due to neglect. Anyway, these have started , now, If I can just keep them alive over the winter. To be honest, starts came from the fountains. They meandered over the top of them, touched water, and, well you know the rest--Lots of roots to work with.
Most of the yard is now either pulled, or cut down. Some things I wait until spring to cut, they can be really pretty in the winter with snow, a little interest in an otherwise yucky cold landscape.
ttyl, Lee

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, last year was a bum year for you Lee. This next one will be a much better one.

I think they all went into hibernation on us Lee. Oh well, maybe they need the rest. LOL

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well, I am here and warm. I turned on the heat today but only to 75. It is damp so to me that makes it cold. Growing up all my life in an area with no humidity, if we get humidity, I get cold.

Lee, you are right, your soil will not crumble. It you put it between your fingers and rub it just sticks together. But it is beautiful dark brown. When we start with our soil, it is just about like coffee with a lo of creme added. Very light tan, just about white. My dirt is just about black now because of all my composting.

Lee, I grow oleanders. They are in the greenbelt. If they are 5 to six feet tall I would assume they need a larger pot. Lift the plant out of the pot and see if it is root bound. If it is, soak the root ball in water and some nutrients, gently dislodge the roots and move into one step up in size. Oleanders bloom more if you trim they back after blooming You can also control their growth.

I am now into the double blooming fragrant oleanders. But they are also more fragile to cold.

Jnette, how is everything. Todd's wife Heather and baby Luke are coming on the 4th for a week. Then probably will not see them until next summer. They are skier's and have already signed up for season passes so I guess the next trip is mine.

Took Vern to the Cardiologist and he said everything is fine. He is not requiring as much sleep and is getting his appetite back.

Vern's ex-wife and the mother of his children only has about 3 more months to live. Ovarian Cancer. She has been estranged from the children for quite some time. Brian, our youngest is 46 and he has been going to see her in Vancouver the last two years. We sent Brian up about 2 months ago but now it looks like he needs to go for the last time. His sister Lynda lives in Vancouver. She will be 50 next year as will our other daughter Tracy. The girls are three months apart. But all four children are our children because we had custody since Brian was 7.

I have many plants to get potted this next week. Mostly into 1 gallon pots. Large root balls. I also have many cuttings that have rooted that I need to get potted up. I am going to put them in the front guest bedroom. It has two large windows and a french door so the room gets great light.

I have my blue bulbs in the laundry room fridge to get cold over the next 45 days. That is a good thing because I do not have the bed ready.

A new family has purchased a home down the street and wants his courtyard to look somewhere like mine. I told him I did not think he could afford me and he said let him worry about that. His courtyard is actually larger than mine and I cannot wait to get my hands on it. A large amount of it is in partial shade and protected from the wind. Especially if money is no object. But actually, it will not cost that much. But there is a large amount of bad dirt that needs to be removed. Probably more labor than anything.

OK, JB, where are you? Probably staying in out of the snow. When was she going for her test.

Sorry this is so long. I will sign off and come back in a minute. I just ran out of ice cubes. I chew ice cubes while I am on the computer.

This is a photo of me when I know it is going to rain.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Good evening everyone:
The decomposed granite is most likely the left over fine gravel from harvesting, cutting and what ever else they do with the product. I am thinking it started out as a by product they had and ended up with tons of the stuff so they figuired out it would work as a stabelizer. the gravel is from pea sized rock to vine almost dust like product. It runs $3.84 a bag. I used 20 bags to firm up my main growing area. i still have a horrid walk way through the nursery which will most likely take 10 to15 bags to make it ready for cloth.
I did watch a landscape rehab show on tlc (I think) they were useing it as a base material to level and firm up for installing pavers, flagstone patio or any other hardscape to be used as a replacement for concrete. I did have an inspecter tell me that you can order a product called "screenings" that comes from the local gravel places. anyway you spread it out pack it down and the wet it down. its suposed to become as solid as concrete.
Lee: i will let you know how and when to take cuttings. I am thinking I would like to try some hardwood cuttings this winter as well as some softwood cuttings in the spring if possible.
I do have good news I think. we had a gentle man stop by to offer to trim up our huge oak out front. I like to do a lot of my own stuff but this tree is huge and very old so anything I can do to make it look better and avoid having anyone in the family climbing in the tree and possibly getting hurt. in order to get into the tree it will take a huge ladder to get up in it.
he said he does some landscaping . I asked him if he ever ran across any nursery pots? he said he would bring me a bunch next time he comes by. I am hopeing to be able to get used pots from him as well as sell him some plants to install for his clients. My main drive is because i have 30 of the chamyocyparis to pot up into 3 gallong pots. well I priced 3 gallon pots from a couple of sources and I about had a stroke. $1.00 each and up.... what happened to 35 cents each???? I guess its all BP's fault. I was thinking I need to break out my bags from the co-op Lorraine ran way back when we started this merry band of wild and crazy people.
This brings me to a question. how many of the original people from the co-op are left? just a strange thought comeing from my twisted brain. BTW spoiler alert. Linda this one is a ral bad one. its been like I had forgotten how bad it can be. I had one of my worst memories come back to me today. we went to the movie and about 1/2 way into it my back started up. I had to quit going to the movie theater because the pain was too much.
And to answer the question, I got my neuro stimulator implant and it made it so I can do a lot of the stuff that I had given up on.
well its time to go lay down
ttfn
Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Oh wow, so good to get both, Sharon and Dave on here. Last it was Lee and Dave. Good.

Sharon, when it is wet, it goes right thru you. I remember that from living in Seattle for years. Yes, you have to get warmed up..

Where did your son's family get seasonal passes for skiing Sharon? We have a few different areas not far from Spokane. When I was 15 years old one of my first jobs was selling chair lift and tow tickets at Mount Spokane Ski lodge. It was a neat job for a 15 year old.

That is sure too bad about Vern's ex wife's illness. So sad. My sister's SO's mother has that and also lung cancer. She lives in Arizona. They didn't know which area to operate on first and left it up to her. She went for the lungs and then of course they couldn't operate on the other because of her respiratory problems. So very awful.

That is too bad about the estrangement also. People have no idea how short life really is.

I love the photo of you Sharon. You look so graceful.

So DAve are you going to put pavers or something on top of the granite? Herringbone would be gorgeous. So pretty in your gardens.

Dave it sounds like you have a real knack for making deals with the right people. LOL, I am talking about the fellow and the oak tree. What an offer!! And then to maybe get some deals going with your business plants also. That would be great. And to also get some pots out of the deal too. Boy, can't beat that.

Yes, I was one of the original people who started out with Lorraine. Wonder how she is. I still have a bunch of those plant bags if you can use them. I think I have quarts and maybe gallons, or 3 gallons. Let me know.

My daughter is trying to help me get my laptop to be able to use the printer. The printer is not wireless. I hooked up router the other day and it works good. But, can't seem to get the printer working. My grandson ordered me a part to connect it, but I can't seem to make it work. Gosh, I am like Sharon, too bad they are so far away. LOl

I got long winded too guys, sorry, 'nite.

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Welcome back to you all. Whew!!! I was beginning to think you all deserted me and I was all alone in this world Waaaaa!!
Sharon, Now you see what I am up against with my soil. Try and try and still the gumbo comes up through the mulch. I have added the used potting soil from my hanging pots to enhance my beds, but still the darn stuff shows on top. Even tried not mixing it one year,just put it on top thinking it would atleast last for that year, didn't work.
I will try to repot my oleanders, but when??? They are still blooming in the house now. I do think I will lose my hibiscus tree this year tho, it really doesn't look good. I did enjoy it all "summer" , but when I brought it in, it started turning yellow, and dropping leaves, however, we shall see what happens.
ttyal, Lee

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

GOOD AFTERNOON CAMPERS. How are we doing? I am in day 2 of a bad set of days.. it was chilli this am but the sun finally came out so its turning out to be a nice day, Yesterday was spent sleeping most of the day away but it was needed. today will be anotherday.
not much to say just wanted to check in see how y'all are doing.
More later
Dave

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hello Wild Ones.............just kidding..........I can still kid even if I am a nervous wreck. I have myself in a state of panic and I am furious with myself for doing this to myself. I need a good kick in the butt.

I have had no notice of anyone speaking on this forum since we moved to the new link. If I would not have come on today I would not have known anyone was talking. This is strange. I thought maybe I was blocked. Usually you pop up on my watched list each morning and I start my day catching up on what you all did the night before.

The picture of the big old green thing is nasty. I hate those PMs with a passion. All bugs make me itch, strictly in my head. I swear my head is becoming a problem. Maybe it is because my best friend was just told she is incompetent and the Court appointed a temporary guardian, the whole nine yards. That has me upset. Her son keeps calling and crying in his beer to me about the whole thing. It has been so ugly and he is the bad guy so she tells everyone.

The picture of the man sleeping gave me a real "flashback" . My husband, the Marine, and I were up early and going into a large department store one morning to catch a sale of some sort. We parked the truck and got out and walked down the row of cars. We saw a man laying on the ground between two cars, I went over and saw his wallet laying beside him. I felt his neck to see if he was alive, well, he was not. So, we went into the store and called the police. Never heard another word about it so I have no idea what happened. The police never knew who called so we were not involved. Crazy stuff happens doesn't it? I have not thought about that in years. Those were the days.

The weather was nice and Fall like for days and it went down to near freezing a few days ago, now today it is going up to 70 plus. I have been putting on the heat and the AC to the point I never know what is on. I just keep the temp inside at 70 and move the little switch back and forth. LOL The other night when it went down to freezing, I had not turned the heat on and wow, it got down to 65 in the house and that is cold for me and the birds.

I am making a veal pie today, so I need to go put the stuff in the pie crust and get cooking. It takes an hour to bake it. I am hungry for a baked pie and tired of chicken so I got stewing veal and cooked it off with onions, celery and then I cooked off some potatoes and eggs. I will throw it all together and add a can of crushed creamed corn , bake it and stuff my gut. My grandmother used to make veal pie all the time. I have not had it in ages because I hate eating it three days or more, but my kids will help me this time so I agreed to make it.

Take care, my friends, Football is on and I must watch so I can talk to my grandson about it. He is my love. I got a picture of him today from his Mother of him and his girlfriend ready to go to the homecoming dance. Good grief time flies when you are having fun.

Must get some plants ready to ship tomorrow. Later. JB

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Glad to hear your "voice" JB. Was wondering myself if I had been doing something wrong. Guess no one had anything to say the last few days. Boy, sure was lonesome. Maybe all will get back to normal now. :) Lee

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Lee, don't know which would be worse, your gumbo or my cement. All I have is sand. But it is so solid I can't dig or till it. Yet those moles tunnel right thru it. But I put compost etc. in it, and it sifts right thru and I never see it again. Sounds weird doesn't it?

JB, it looks like I am going to lose my Aimee. She sure does not look good. Don't know what it is. I put the coffee grounds on top of the soil like you said and don't know but what it might have made it worse.

You guys, I went thru that myself. I thought I had been blocked from DG at one point. I even emailed a couple of DGers to check and see if they had closed down.

Gosh JB, I sure hope things straighten out for you. I feel so bad for your friend. Who is her temporary guardian? Who turned her against her son? That is so sad. Does she have dementia or Alzheimers? That is normally a sign of something like them.

Everything froze here. We had almost a week of freezing nights. I hope I saved my begonias, dahlias, some of the brugs, etc.

Gosh, JB, I hven't seen veal in the stores in years. Do you ever see calve's liver? It is soooooo good. We used to have to ask the butchers for it. Now, they don't even get it in. It is all saved for the restaurants I guess.

Lee, you need an email address of one of us so you can at least email and ask if there is a problem. I will d-mail you my address.

Jeanette ~ We got in Friday night but I have not been online until now. (Thanks for asking.)It will not be so frequent as we are down to one phone line, so I take the laptop downstairs rather than spend (too much) time on the internet in my room.
I am sorry that you already had a freeze. I hope that you did not lose too many plants.
We had dinner at Harris Ranch one night and they had beef liver on the menu. We ended up sharing a ribeye steak (6 oz.) I cannot believe we could have eaten that much apiece.

JB ~ Maybe you forgot to put a "watch this thread" onto the new thread...we were concerned about you. Glad you are OK. Sorry to hear about your friend. That must be quite upsetting. If it is Alzheimers there may not be any hope for your friend. My grandmother had that and she was suspicious of everyone as well as things in the environment...but maybe that was her state of mind...not all there...I hope that I do not follow in her footsteps, as my mom did not have it.

Dave ~ I, also, would be interested in some of your extra creeping phox. Is it phlox sublata? And what colors do you have?

Sharon ~ That landscaping project sounds like a dream...I hope you have a nice project on your hands.

Well folks, I must go now. I will check sometime next week.

(It is pouring rain and very windy as well now,)

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

OK, now this is more like it. I think everyone just took a break from us. Glad to see you all back. You are my rock when I am down, and I really miss the chatter even if I don't always enter into it, it helps me get through the bad days. Thanks, Lee

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Evelyn: yes i believe its phlox subulata. they are pink and blue. I just got in unrooted cuttings and are stuck to root out they should be ready come spring. I am also looking atcandy stripe and a purple like color also to have.

here is the link to the decomposed granite
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100250107&navFlow=3&keyword=DECOMPOSED+GRANITE&langId=-1&searchRedirect=DECOMPOSED+GRANITE&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.integration.endeca.EndecaDataBean%406aceea93&ddkey=Search

I hope this helps
Dave

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi peeps!

I have been experiencing quite a time in receiving all the bulbs I ordered from the co-op.

Had to be a down right PITA. Received the last of the lily bulbs yesterday and spent the day at my daughter preparing the ground and planting over 30 lily bulbs for her. Worked until it was dark ... had some pizza drove the 30 miles home and was exhausted.

Today, I focused on planting my Katherine Hodkin irises and crocus .... discovered the vendor only sent 14 instead of the 25 crocus bulbs .... so I had to e-mail them .... they said they would send me the missing bulbs this week.

Dave, I am interested in purchasing in the spring the various creeping phlox and hydrangea endless summer .... do you sell any else besides DG?

I just discovered the Farm store 1 1/2 blocks away now has a POLISH deli! (I'm 1/2 Polish) I went in to buy banannas and left with some nice Polish goodies.

Lee has become quite talkative.

I'm still trying to figure out how Sharon does all that she does ..... I'm about to nickname her Wonder Woman.

It was nice weather here for working outdoors ... I just wish we had more hours of daylight

MARY

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Nighttime is hard to show, but it looks like all is on fire when it is dark. This display area is about 10 x 25 and filled with plants during the summer. Lee

Thumbnail by leebauch
Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Last one I promise. Hope no one is offended, we get about 130+ kids each year. Some of them come over before just to see what is new, and I don't mind, Don't want them to be too scared hehehe. Lee

Thumbnail by leebauch
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Lee, that looks like sooooo much fun. We used to do that. Loved the kids. Scares the little guys. But, the parents love it too and they wouldn't bring the little ones up to the door. Came and got them some candy.

I think the older people have taken over Halloween from the kids. I hate that. Why do they do that? Halloween is a big business in the cities with the adults. Mostly in costumes I think.

Glad you are on line and we really are here talking. LOL

Glad to hear from Evelyn too. And JB.

Sharon and Dawn jump in when they can.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I am here in all my glory. Had a great day. Did not do much. Took a shower, did my hair, read the paper, did some cooking and mapped out a plan for my gardening to be done the coming week.

I made cauliflower and potato soup. It tasted better than it looked. Made Vern some chicken, egg noodles and gravy with biscuits. He is happy and has enough to have some for tomorrow. I never cook anything that does not have at least one more meal left over. I made minestrone soap earlier in the week so Vern is very happy. That husband of mine loves comfort food.

Merry, I have the energy of a 30 year old. I have no idea why God blessed me with so much energy and let's get it done attitude but I have it so I might as well enjoy it.

Most laborers that work with me think I am a little crazy because I do not stop. I have often been asked, do you ever sit down. Then my father's statements always arises. "You quit when you are done, not when you are tired".

Lee, I was feeling the same. I would check in and no one had been here so I would leave. I even checked to make sure I had not lost the thread.

Evelyn, I am glad you and your honey are home and safe with your wonderful memories of your trip.

Jnette, Todd said they got season tickets for the 49 degree ski slopes. Baby Luke will be 1 year old on the 2nd of October. His mommy and he will be here on the 4th thru the 9th. Then Todd and Luke are coming down to Vegas sometime in December.

My granddaughter is still in Hawaii going to college and enjoying herself. She will be home just before Christmas and then off to Provo for the rest of the year. Quite a change. Hawaii where it is warm to Provo, Utah where it is very cold. Oh youth and their versatility.

Our daughter Lynda and the twins, Madison and Marilyn are coming from Vancouver, Washington on the 12th of November. The 13th is the twins birthday and they want to see for them selves that their grandpa is OK. Our daughter's son Corbin birthday is the same day so a big birthday lunch is in order. They will be 14. Corbin is just about 6' and the twin are under 5' and are full grown. Both their mother and father are short so the twins will be short. The funny part is Corbin's voice is changing and I had forgotten about voices changing.

Dave, DG is used very much in the SW. We buy it by the ton not by the bag. When you all come by you will see why we use it. Dave, if you ever want to dig in it, just get it wet. It is easy to dig when wet. Dry, it is like concrete. In my back area it is at least 1' deep. I also have it on both sides of the house. I have the raised beds on both side of the house and the DG on the ground. That keeps the upkeep low. Just spray with a fine mist and rake.

I am sorry. I have not answered everyone but got started late and I need to get to bed and get to sleep. Big gardening day tomorrow. Love you all.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Jen, sorry about your Aimee, I think you are confusing me with someone else, I never use coffee grounds. I remember you said you did that and I think I responded I never tried it.
I do not know if coffee grounds help or hinder. I would not count her out just yet. She may come back. I am not sure what went wrong. I seldom loose any once they have started to mature. Oh well, you can't win them all.
Talk later. I must get going here this morning. Sounds like you are all busy and in good shape. Hugs. JB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.