(48 votes, 23%)
Red dot

Frost? What's that?
(48 votes, 23%)
Red dot

We've already had snow!
(2 votes, 0%)
Red dot

I'm south of the Equator and Spring is here!
(2 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Lambertville, NJ(Zone 6a)

We had our first light frost Sunday morning.

(Zone 1)

I didn't vote because there wasn't a category for my area. We do occasionally get frost but it's waaay too early for us ... it will be at least January or possibly February before we see any frost. It's still mid 80's daytime and low to mid 60's here at night. Last winter was a record breaking cold winter for Florida and although I look forward to some somewhat cooler temperatures I sure hope we don't have a winter like last year!

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

We've had a few light ground frosts and one air frost. Forecast for next few days is getting colder, with possible sleet or light snow showers. Last winter was an all time record depth of snow. July/August record breaking highs - up to 35 C in our garden! I've lived here for four years, and I still don't know what a "typical" year is like.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It's too early for us as well. It used to be around Nov. 10th but a few years ago it didn't happen until mid-December and even last year it was Dec. 11th.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Well, none of the above. We get frost but usually not a killing freeze. I guess we'll see the first in December but I've never really kept track of it. Could have voted for "Frost? What's that?" I guess, since it has been hotter than it was in July.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

We got our first frost a week ago, about a month early. It is 89 here today....

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

No category for me either! We are not likely to see frost until late November or early December, so I am not looking for it soon. However, I have my little greenhouse nearly straightened up, and additional plants that have to go in for the winter are grouped not far from the door.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

My first light frost was on the autumn equinox, appropriately enough. Only a couple so far, enjoying a bit of Indian summer. My killing frost is typically around Halloween.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

No frosts here yet but we have come close. I expect to see frost before the month is over.

South Lake Tahoe, CA

We've had flurries already.
Love to see the snowflakes falling, but love to see my lilies blooming too!

Tiger Edition taken yesterday

Thumbnail by TPNursery
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Not yet because I'm in an urban industrial area & lowlands (Mississippi River Valley), though outlying areas have received a light frost.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

None yet, I'm in pirl's range.

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

Update. First snowfall this morning.

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

frost predicted for tomorrow, I don't want to loose all my annuals, my property will be naked. Moon flower vine on back door.

Thumbnail by kobwebz
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

kobwebz - that is gorgeous!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, kobwebz. I just put out some Datura/moonflower pods to dry on a chair on the deck and it rained last night. Hasn't rained here in two months. If I'd known that, I'd put out seeds to dry sooner. ;-)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Glad to hear you got some in Clarksville. I'm about 45 minutes north of you and we got not a drop...stuff is crispy.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

A tenth of an inch was what we got. We're still crispy too. :-(

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Anxiously awaiting the cooler temps of mid/late Fall. Showing a flush of new growth now, in response to last week's freak rainstorms. Lot's of micro-climates here in San Diego. Front yard is definitely vulnerable to frost but backyard never dips below 40. Five miles to the west, usually no frost. Five miles to the east, very predictable winter frosts.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I lived in San Diego for over five years. Loved it ... know whereof you speak about the microclimates. Whereabouts are you in S.D.?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

You don't have quite enough categories.

My area doesn't fit any of those available. We're "not yet, and we don't expect it anytime soon". We will have frost eventually, but it will be a while yet. At present, we're seeing days in the 80's F and nightime lows in the 60's with a long way to go before we see frost. It has only been recently that it cooled down enough here to feel decent.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Cville, I live in Del Cerro, just east of Mission Valley and west of La Mesa.

Denver, United States

Comin' soon! Maybe this weekend.
TPNursery, that's a magnificent lily! I'll have to try to find a bulb or three!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

It's interesting how messed up the rain system has been lately. I see that many of you report being crispy while we have been sloshing around all summer. With some of us drowning and others parched, it seems like there may be enough water if we could just get it distributed more evenly, like it used to be.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

We're about 10" under for the year, but it is actually worse because most of ours came during a wet first part of the year. Since the middle of April, it has been pretty grim...farmers are baling their corn into large round bales rather than running the combines through for the grain. Soybeans didn't fill out either. There were beans, but the hulls were empty. Trees are stressed and already showing colors. We don't usually have this much color till November.

South Lake Tahoe, CA

Here's my Rio Negro that opened up last weekend.
Such a deep color!

Thumbnail by TPNursery
Denver, United States

Rain? All we ever seem to have are clouds. And this time last year, I was running an "Emergency Harvest Operation" to save things from the frost that appeared on the 13th. This year, I don't have enough to save!

Denver, United States

OK!
I'm planning a Midnight Lily Raid in South Lake Tahoe!
[Just kidding! Really!]

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Wow, melody,

I had no idea how profound the problem had become. That sounds truly devastating for those of you who live in the effected area, and I suspect the rest of us will soon feel the pain at the grocery store. I'm so sorry to hear how bad it has been for you.

We've had almost nonstop rain all summer. For weeks on end we had multiple Tstorms (with rain) throughout the day and night, every few hours another storm would begin. It was raining and thundering when I went to sleep and again when I woke up, day after day after day. We were soaked through and through. It sounds like we got everybody's rain.

I sure hope the rain distribution system gets fixed soon.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

LOL about that midnight lily raid. Can I go, too?

Seriously though, that is one gorgeous lily. I had to do a double take to discern if it was a photo or an oil painting - and I'm not kidding.

Denver, United States

It's a long way from Charleston to South Lake Tahoe (at least geographically), but if we could organize a multi-State raiding team, we could draw on incredible expertise. And also probably convince any local police that we were just members of a National Lily Lovers' Association on a midnight outing in search of the legendary and elusive Lake Tahoe Midnight Blooming Lily!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

zone10, I know right where you are. I do love S.D. but gardening is different all over the place there.

Gorgeous lily, TP. I'm joining the raid! :-)

We have a burn ban in effect here now. It's bad here, drought-wise. We had a 50-year flood in May which obviously soaked the ground a lot so we didn't notice the lack of rainfall too badly until August. But since then has been dreadful. I did finally get two butterfly bushes in the ground this morning by soaking the ground after our small rainfall last night. I've got a quart dead nettle and a small yucca still to go. I gave up on planting bulbs a long time ago. IF I can get those other two things in the ground, I'll stick a feather in my hat and call it macaroni. I'm done for the year unless there is some substantial rainfall soon. Uncle, Uncle already!!

Melody, I'm mad at myself cause I didn't find out about the RU in Cadiz (was it?) until after the fact. That would be so close for me ... the closest RU to me definitely. I'm a caregiver to DH so have to make short trips. When is the next one up that way?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sounds like a grand scheme. I'm in.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

We have one the third weekend in Sept every year. Some folks just come in for the day on Sat and others stay several days. The big event is on Sat though.
We'd love for you to drive up for the day or afternoon. We try to eat at noon or there abouts. Lots of fun!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm putting it on my calendar for next year. I'm still fussing cause I missed the one ya'll just had there.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Did you see the pictures? We dyed silk scarves for a craft activity...folks were thrilled at how nice they turned out.

South Lake Tahoe, CA

come on over!
Love to have some tea and bisquits with you and gather around the lilies that are blooming.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

No, I didn't see pictures. Where are they? Dying scarves sounds like a lovely craft activity.

TP, we used to drive over to Tahoe from Nor Cal on occasion when we lived out there. It's a very nice spot.

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

not yet and I'm NOT expecting it soon. I didn't see a vote for that! It's over 90 out there today. We usually don't see our first frost until nearly christmas.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.