CLOSED: Volunteers Needed For Seed "Flower" Experiment

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

gee, those sprouts look good, but they look like gloriosa daisey sprouts. I am sure I didn't put any of those in there LOL ( who knows, the seeds may have been in the mud, it came from my back yard) Yippee! The mgs should be just fine where ya all are at. Heck, my lobatas and heavenly blues are still hanging in there barely outside, and it has froze three times so far.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh I'd be happy if there were some Rudbeckias in there;o) I planted some in another bed so when they sprout I'll have to compare seedlings;o)

awsome. I have about 5 kinds of them. It would be cool to see what ya got there. I have no clue what lobelia sprouts look like. or asters. this is fun. I can id the other stuff, I think.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

The colelydons (I can never spell that word - lol) are normal texture leaves. That 3rd leaf coming up in the middle is sorta fuzzy if that helps...

It sure does look fuzzy, huh? Oh I love those asters. They look like mine here, too. I have about 5 kinds, and the small fairey ones are my favorite.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

This Aster (Rodney's) is pretty invasive here. You almost can't get rid of it if you try but I keep it because it's so pretty and survives my harsh growing conditions. This one I got a small start from someone at our fall swap last year and in no time it turned into a monster. Needs full sun - yep, Phoenix full sun - to really flower well;o)

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

This picture was taken about a hour ago. Forecast is for over a foot of snow.

MARY

Thumbnail by merrymath
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Well at least u can see yours!! Dunno how many inches we have so far...but the wind is blowing so hard can't see a thing :o|

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is mine just chillin in the Texas sunshine, waiting for Spring. Some of the mud has melted away in the rains.

Thumbnail by bobyrd
Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Picture taken about 30 minutes ago.

MARY

Thumbnail by merrymath
Pretoria, South Africa

Hi, so far I don't have anything germinating. We have had extremely hot weather, followed by lovely rains. Will keep you updated.

Elsa

No rain in over a month. A tad of frozen stuff for about A day. No changes here. Thanks for the updates, will get a pic of mine tomorrow.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

We are forecast for some very cold weather (for us) the end of the week. Mine still looks pretty much like the pic I posted earlier. Little growth but looks fine. Hoping the cold snap doesn't bother the sprouts;o) We did get a bit of rain last week and forecast for a bit more mid-week, so that is nice.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Mine is covered under 3-4 inches of snow.

mines is under 11.8 inches...come on spring!!!!

Aww poor things under snow. at least they are getting some moisture. no rain here still. Or Snow.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

13.9"...can't even see the pot right now...

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Debra, do you want me to see how to box up some snow and ship it to you?? If I can figure out a way to do it maybe everyone else could ship you some also. Don't want you to feel left out!! LOL

UHM.. thanks! ;D I guess I have good news, the seeds I threw into one of the pots inside from the left overs are sprouting. I wonder how Rolys are doing?

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Well only the 2 seedlings that sprouted have been growing. One is definetely a celosia. The other one I thought it could be a morning glory. I will post pictures tomorrow. I've been kind of busy with dad at the hospital and holiday season at work but now that we are back to normal I'm able to go back to my plants.

Aww poor Roly I am sorry your Dad is not doing well. God Bless and prayers for you all. Plants will be fine, you take care of family. That is most important.

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

So I have taken a couple of pictures of my mud pie. Here it is last week covered with snow.
I planted it in the middle of the pot on top of our old well.

Thumbnail by melsalz
Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Then here it is today. You can't even tell it was there now. I will patiently wait until spring and see what sprouts.

Thumbnail by melsalz

Happy New Year! Mel, that is perfect! I am glad to know yours melted down okay.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Something had attempted to grow between our freeze snaps..unfortunately, I wasn't aware of it, till AFTER ...but if it's healthy enuff to hang in there till spring, just might be a winner! Gonna put something ovet the top of it come next snap to help roots.

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71

Oh wow! that looks good even if a little chilled.! Thanks for showing me. I can't tell if the stems are fuzzy. Are they?

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Doesn't look fuzzy to me...dont' feel anything either...does that help naming the poor thing?

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

Just checking in with the thread....my ball is almost completely dissolved, but nothing growing....I laid in on bare earth, uncovered, in a sunny spot. Never snows here, got down past freezing several nights so far. No plant growth whatsoever....

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Everything I posted in the earlier pic survived our 3 nights of a rare freeze in Phoenix - lol... I'll have to see if they look any bigger to maybe try and ID the seedlings. Whatever they are they're tough cookies and survived with no protection whatsoever;o)

I am glad some of you have reported "melt downs" that is important to me. Mine has not melted even a fraction of an inch, I am about ready to bring it in and start it under the plant lights. I can't tell what that seedling is of Karen, but it looks to be a yellow four o clock. if the stem was red I would say a red one. I hope it perks up so we can see it. Melt down is good.
I really appreciate all the information from around the country and world. Thanks!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Debra,

Mine has melted down some but I can still make out the shape in my bed.

Mine has melted nicely had a few tiny sprouts....but after 12 inches of snow they are gone...

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Ok so here is my progress so far. The same to seedlings that pop up a while age are blooming now. One is a Celosia or so I think and the other one looks similar to a Petunia but the leaves are not right. Any ideas??

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Here is a close up of each plant. Could it be a morning glory??

This message was edited Jan 5, 2011 9:42 AM

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

And here is what I think it's a Celosia. Could it be an Amaranthus?

Thumbnail by Roly0217
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Nice Roly! Yep, it's a Morning Glory. I've had them sprout and bloom while the plant was all tiny like that before.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

The other one looks like Purple Amaranth Amaranthus cruentus maybe? Mainly because of the purple foliage that is why I think that's what it is...

Roly!!!! I am so happy! LOL
Yes it is a morning glory , looks like it is a picotee too! Yippee! LOL
That looks like the amaranthus, great job! I am so esctactic! where do you live? I wanna move there asap! :P

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

So far, nothing here to report. The cake has disappeared, but no seedlings yet.

Evelyn

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

More snow this past weekend, so once again the pot is covered/hidden. I did get a glance at it during our almost-thaw, and it appears to be just the same as when I set it out, except that the flower on the top is tan and dried...but still there!

I'll get a photo next time we have a thaw.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.