CLOSED: Volunteers Needed For Seed "Flower" Experiment

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Debra how do you want us to go from now on??? Do monthly recaps of the development if any?? Take picture of the planting area??

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Saturday's my day off this weekend, so God-willing, I will get this planted then! Oh, boy!

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Here's my lil' cookie : )

Thumbnail by kimarj
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Very cute, Kim!

Just a little thing in a really big pot!!

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

That was quick, Don.

Seeing everyone's cookies planted gave me a chuckle. You always crack me up, Kim. Lots of pots and garden areas are going to fill up quick come Spring.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Fruity, I mailed your packet yesterday. When you get yours, and everyone says okay, we will post pics if any thing develops during the next few months. Plz keep this thread marked watch. I really appreciate everyones' willingness to participate. I will show my pics tommorrow, I have been in the basement garden all nite. I am hoping to see someones mudflower "melt" after rains. ( or snow) *ugh*

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I'm putting mine in a big pot also. Now that I have to rearrange the front garden to make room for the new trailer, I don't dare plant anything in the ground in the front half of the property. We are putting on a double wide that is 28x56 in the spring. Before that I have to have the sewer line put in, new water line and upgrade the electric pole. I have to move the front iris bed and 6 roses. What fun!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I'm going to put my gigocious pot near the front stoop so no matter snowy and icky it gets out there, I will be able to watch it!

Pretoria, South Africa

Debra,

We had our first proper rainshower last night. I have been watering almost daily - so far the cookie seems to hold. A good thing I'd say, as one wouldn't want it to just "disappear" after the first rain / snow.

E

Great! okay here is my flower, in a pot, out front facing East in the lilly bed.. edited to say East instead of west..

This message was edited Oct 28, 2010 8:51 PM

Thumbnail by joeswife

This is my seed ball, it has peaches n cream double holly hock and some ageratum seeds in it..it is in a pot out back Facing west, on the full sun side of the patio... both these areas will get watered this weekend since it hasn't rained, and they will get the spray as well.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

First seedling ?!?!?! When it came up the seed shell was reddish.

Thumbnail by Roly0217

How exciting is that, Roly. Did you water at planting time?

Mine are here, Debra. Thank you for letting me in on your experiment. I'll be back with pics when they're tucked in and can already tell this is going to be fun. Cool idea!

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I did water and then it rained the day after as well as a couple of days ago as well as all of today. It's growing nicely. I'm hoping to see more seedlings popping up.

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

I finally found time to mix up some potting medium. My mud seed flower was placed in a clear plastic container and given its first drink of water.

Thumbnail by merrymath
Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

It is going to be interesting to record its progress.

MARY

Thumbnail by merrymath

Nice!..sumpin' tried to eat mines or was just digging..I put it back an put a clay pot over :/

Oh that is great, Roly! Looks like a celosia or love lies bleeding.Congrats!

Kim, if you lose yours let me know..

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

If the seeds from our mud flowers germinate in the fall won't they be so small that the winter weather will do them in?

This is the experiment.. let us see how they fare.. or you can do what you want.. If I had your winter, I would just cover them seedlings with a plastic tub bottom.. I am just leaving mine out to be hit with our freezing temps, so I can see how they fare..

added fruity and evelyn, thank you for participating, please let us know how your flowers fare..

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Here's mine. I planted her on Wednesday (the 3rd). Since then we've had frost 2 mornings, and 2 days of rain.

Thumbnail by Sequee

awwww it looks so cute! are u leaving it out or in?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have 3 little sprouts on mine, but the cotelydons (sp?) are not fully open yet so no idea what they are, yet;o)

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Out. It's on the edge of the front stoop so I can watch it closely...and maybe scootch off the heavy snow. Not sure yet how that will work.

Here's a picture from today. It is bitter cold out there. As you can see, I added a little grate in the pot in an attempt to keep the squirrels from digging in the pot to hide their nuts, (No comments, please!)

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Here are two pictures taken today.

Mary

Thumbnail by merrymath
Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

2nd picture

Thumbnail by merrymath
Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is my little mud cake. It has experienced some rain and was moved a little by a foraging squirrel, but it is hanging on. If you look closely you can see a little seedling between 3 and 4 oclock and one to the left between 9 and 10.

Thumbnail by bobyrd

Oh those are great updates. Thanks! Mine is still looking like it did.. bleah.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have some little sprouts too. Took a pic I'll have to rememebr to post after I get home;o)

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

Deb mine is in the ground, in a sunny spot. The ball looks like it's dissolved some into the ground, flower on top is faded and has no color. No sprouts, it is covered with leaves.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here's a pic of my babies;o) These all look to be the same, but a small sprout can be seen on the lower right of the picture that looks to be something different... You can also see the remnant of the flower on top of the mudball...

Thumbnail by locakelly
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I hope the Asters in the mix are as pretty as my Rodney's Aster (invasive little bugger - lol) that is blooming it's little head off right now;o)

Thumbnail by locakelly
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I've got another seedling that sprouted a couple of days back. It looks like a morning glory to me. Just in case I put a trellis. I will be taking pictures tomorrow morning.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Will the MG survive your winter Roly? If any sprout here I fear they will croak if we get cold;o)

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

We barely get any real cold here. I can always move the pot under the porch or into the garage if any danger of frost is in the forecast. Last year was unusually cold but I can always do something about it. We are still in the low 80s to high 70s. I'm not liking it. It needs to be in the low 70s high 60s.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I hear ya - it was 82° today - where is fall?!?! My mudflower is in my raised veggie garden so it's on it's own;o) We rarely get frost. Last year we had 2 days in early December (unusual) that fell below 30° and that was winter...

locakelly, Would you like for me to send you some of our cool, crisp mountain air?

Nighttime temps dipped into the mid-30's this week, what a shock to the system when we let the doggie out, and daytime high's have barely reached 60. Fall has definitely sprung...lol The leaves on our trees last week were at their peak, especially the Maples, but blowing winds and going on three days of rain have left them almost bare. Some blooms on the Mums are still going strong but the Asters are pretty much toast.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

30s? Brrrrrrrrrr - lol... We rarely hit 30° in the winter and if we even get close I freeze;o) You'd never know I grew up in northern Maine where it snows a bunch and it waaaayyyyy below 0 mostly all winter...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.