CLOSED: Volunteers Needed For Seed "Flower" Experiment

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I have made up some mud cakes in the form of flowers, and need 8 volunteers to grow them out. I am asking for pictures and progress reports of these full sun seed ball type mud flowers.
Seeds in the Mud Flowers:

4 o clocks all colours
Siberian Wall Flower
Asters Woods Pink
Asters fragrant small white
White allysium
Love Lies Bleeding
Red Celosia
Blue Phlox
Green Perilla
A few morning glorys white, jaimie lynn, rebecca
Globe Amaranth Fuschia
Daisey Fleabane
Blue smooth Aster
Great Blue Tall Lobelia
Red Cardinalis Lobelia

All I would like you to do is put them out Now, in a large container or area for the winter and mark it. Shipping is on me. They will smell like roses and cinnamon because they have those two items on and in them for fungus control. They are dusted with Flea Powder for insect control. ( I use flea powder in all my stuff) I am not promising results as this is an offer for volunteers to EXPERIMENT with me.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Pretoria, South Africa

Debra,

I am willing to experiment if you think they will be okay without a winter rest...

Elsa

Thanks, Elsa
since it is an EXPERIMENT, I can suggest you go ahead and see what pops up. If something doesn't pop up now, it might in the coming Spring. Still in?

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Sounds kinda fun. I'm game! :)

Pretoria, South Africa

Definitely! Thanks...

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, I would love to participate in this. I love starting plants from seed, especially a surprise.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi there, I would love to participate. I know that some of them would germinate and some might not without a winter rest but I'll definetely would like to give them a try. I could plant them in either a big pot that I've got or on the ground adjacent to my existing butterfly garden. If it's ok with you I'm game.
Thanks,
Rolando

Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

I will give it a try. I love to do experiments.

Don

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have the perfect large pot that I can put in any sun exposure needed Debra - I'm game if you have any left;o)

Kelly

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I would like to give it a try if you are interested in having it tried in this area.
Bonnie

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Do they need to be planted or just laid on top of the soil?

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I'll play!!!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I'd like to volunteer also. Have just the place for it.

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

I would like to participate. Sounds quite interesting.

Mary

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

If this works...will you share your 'mud pie' recipes??

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

I'd love to play too, if you have enough Debra.....

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Add me : )

Alrighty then, I have 12 volunteers. I have 8 made up. I will make up 4 more, and this thread will be closed for this offer, please dmail me when you get your mud flower, and if possible, take a picture once a month thru out the next year. Bump the thread up, show your pictures, and your results from OUR experiment. I am growing one inside in the nursery, just to check for germination. Your mud cakes will be wrapped up securely and will be enclosed in a padded well protected bubble pouch. If you are not in the Address exchange, please dmail me your current address.
It looks like we have a good variety of Zones represented in this endeavor. Thank you!
Debra
Oh yes, I am just going to "Lay" the mud flower in the spot where I want to watch it. ( in my case, on top of a pot) I will water occasionally and move it in and out thru out the winter.
we have:
Elsa
the1pony
melsalz
Roly0217
DEMinPA
locakelly
bobyrd
DIRTYGIRL71
Marti001
merrymath
darkmoondreamer
kimarj
Sequee
Evelyn_inthegarden
Fruitofthevine
did I forget anyone?

This message was edited Oct 19, 2010 6:09 AM

This message was edited Nov 5, 2010 9:14 PM

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

So Debra,
Is this going to turn into a chia pet flower????? :pO

Where will the results of this experiment be posted? :o)

Here.. I hope. We will just open the thread back up and bump it. I am hoping you all will anyway.
Chia Pet.. that is cute. ;D
Someone is going to get my morning glory mud flower.. It has seeds in the middle of it. It looks like a morning glory, only it is hard as a rock right now. Once it gets set outside, it will melt.
I really tried to keep the morning glorys out of this mix. If there are any, once the seedlings are shown, I can tell you all to pull them if you don't want them. the ones I posted above are very nice and not too aggressive. ( except rebecca and her cots have red stems)
I am pretty excited to see the lobelias come up for someone this spring.

I'm looking forward to this- thank you for the opportunity! :)

Pretoria, South Africa

I am so excited. What a great idea...

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Cool experiment, Debra. I'll be watching to see everyone's results.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks Debra! I'm excited for the "experiment"!!

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

speaking of chia pet..kids got one from a friend..but was old...seeds were no good...what's the best seeds to use on it?

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Thank you Debra! Looking forward to sharing the results with you and everyone else. This reminds me of the orchid projects that I used to do not so long ago.

I am so kacited myself. These will be great presents if they work. ( That is my plan)
Fruity, if you like morning glorys, I have a mud morning glory bloom flower, with three "blue enchantment" morning glory seeds in the middle. I was going to have Pattie, a friend of mine paint it with water soluble acrylic paint, but if you want to experiment with it, I will send it to you. It is kinda brown.. LOL
I have three of them made up.
My Mom always yiped at me for playing in the mud...

I think some creeping daisey seeds, or allysium or creeping sedum seeds would work on a chia .

Thumbnail by joeswife
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks Debra!!!

Debra, yes please to a mud MG. You're too sweet!

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi Debra !!! I was just wondering if we were still on for the experiment. It's been a week and I haven't heard from you. It's everything alright?

Morrisville, PA(Zone 6b)

Gee .... I almost forgot about this experiment .... I have been so busy.

I hope it is still a go. It sounds so interesting.

MARY

I have sent out Elsa's and since hers is so far away, I have everyone else's going out Monday. Please reply here when you receive them. Thanks! ( They had to dry completely , for this to work)

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Everyone from the list with the exception of Elsa123 should have received a Dmail from me that I received from Debra with regards to the mudflowers. If you get in contact with her already I apologize. I was trying to speed up the proccess and help.
Happy Gardening!!!!

Got it and thank you!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Me too - thanks!

I got three Dmails total. LOL! I just sent my info to her via email. Thanks! :)

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

info sent!! :)

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

sent my information

Okay, you guys rock! I was able to get 6 labels made at work, and those will be mailed out Monday. I will get the other 6 written out this Monday and send out Tuesday. It really helps to print from work, since they won't let me on Daves Garden.. LOL
Would be great to know the condition they arrive in, I want to see how the clay material holds together.

Has everyone emailed me yet? Just askin' I am taking the other 6 to work with me. Fruity, yours will have to come a day later, cuz the morning glory sculpture is a bit more fragile and will need to get a small box for it. ( there are plenty at work) .

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.