Daily Butterfly Pictures Page 82

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I made it maybe a month ago. Doesn't smell 'stinky' to me, even licked a little that dripped on my finger off, and didn't taste bad either. lol (and I don't like beer) I'm about out of this batch. May have to make some more and let it set over the winter to get good and 'stinky' before next spring. :-)

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

This stuff was nasty!! That's why no butterflies went near it. blech I think you need you nose examined!! Forget the beer, I didn't even smell that. All I could smell was rancid.

I didn't have my camera on me. I thought my husband forgot to put in my car. Here, he put it on the inside on the seat, with my cooler on the outside. I didn't see it. Marna didn't go on the walk with my friend and me....where I saw a Monarch and a Common Buckeye landed right in front of me!

She forgot to tell you that there was a Black Swallowtail that came in where we were on her walk. A little boy got his picture taken and if I'm not mistaken, Marna was right there with him, her hand on the net too, trying to catch the butterfly. The picture is going to be in a newspaper up there somewhere. You know better than I do Mrs_Ed.

after saying I hadn't seen any BST, low and behold, there was one on the hanging fruit plate with BB on it! I had my brew inside, but set it outside a couple weeks ago, because I have it in a milk jug with a snap on top with duct tape holding the lid down. lol I didn't want it to BLOW all over my game room!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Yah, that was funny that the only butterfly on the walk was when the photographer/reporter showed up. Media hog!!

Wow Crit, I've never seen a BST on the brew.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2010 6:48 PM

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks to Mrs. Ed for the links to the butterfly brew, info and pics from Cat. OMG - I want to see a Malachite - how gorgeous! The brew even sounds like it would be gross but I'll be making it in the spring. From so many around my yard to just a few here and there right now - summer is definitely on it's way out. It's been a banner year for BF's here this year - I'll really miss seeing them!
Di

Winter Springs, FL

I want to get the host plant for the tigers. I know they use sweet bay trees. Is that the same tree used for cooking? My nursery has the Laurus Nobilis. It is the one used for cooking. But do they use this one for a host plant? Dawn

Winter Springs, FL

Oops had another question that mjsponies could probobly answer since you are in my area, do we get Zebra swallowtails here? I've never seen one here before and I do have a small Paw paw tree.

Yes Mrs_Ed, and it was there again today. Did you know the BST is the Oklahoma State Butterfly? Cool, huh. There was also an Eastern Comma on the fruit/brew plate. Very pretty

Cool, Crit. I had about 7 red admirals on the brew today.

Dawn, here's what Butterflies and Moths list as hosts for the Tigers:
Caterpillar hosts: Leaves of various plants including wild cherry (Prunus), sweetbay (Magnolia), basswood (Tilia), tulip tree (Liriodendron), birch (Betula), ash (Fraxinus), cottonwood (Populus), mountain ash (Sorbus), and willow (Salix).

I've seen them oviposit on the wild cherry.

The Red Admirals have returned. I have about 7 flitting around.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I put out some pears to rot...but some critter ran off with them!

Fewer and fewer swallowtails to be seen. Still have lots of buckeyes & skippers and Painted Ladies. Red-spotted purples are still around too. I saw several Viceroy today. Have to download the pics yet.

This EST is from last week.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

My Viceroy....

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

8 Monarchs

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Sulphur and a White

Thumbnail by jmorth
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Enjoying all your pics Illinois...but still waiting for that cold snap to push Monarchs my way.

Red Oak, TX

One of the dozen or so larvae I got from a female Spicebush Swallowtail (Papilio troilus). Nearing pupation, thank goodness, as I'm rapidly running out of spicebush.

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

Thumbnail by lepfarmer

They are just so cool looking!

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I have been lurking here a while but decided to post my Monarch photo. This one visited my backyard a couple of days ago. We have had a bumper crop of all types of butterflies this summer, but this is the first Monarch I've spotted. I'm not home all day so this was a great find for me and I was happy to get the pic. Loads of Cloudless sulphurs, Gulf Frits, many Eastern Tiger swallowtails and others have been in abundance.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Nice contrast outside playing...

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Hairstreak

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

This one I've never seen before. I don't know its designation. Any help?

Thumbnail by jmorth
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

jmorth....Looks like it is a Checkered Skipper but not sure which one. Look them up in your area.
Dale, love that little SB cat, hope you have more when we tour. But you might not since you are running out of host plant.
Glad you decided to post OutsideP... I am hoping this weak cold front brings a few Monarchs down.

Love that spicebush cat.

The mint is really drawing them in Jack! I think you have a common checkered skipper. Seems to match the "variation" in Kaufman's guide.

Congrats OutsideP on the 'bumper crop'!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the ID Shelia and Mrs Ed; with your assistance I found it in my BF & Moths of Missouri reference book.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Sulphur in some asters,

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Red Admiral

Thumbnail by jmorth

Your BF's and your asters are so pretty!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

thanks nanny...Buckeye

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Sphinx Moth

Thumbnail by jmorth

No pics to post, but I had several either Viceroy or Monach's on my zinnia's this morning. Couldn't get close enough with camera w/o spooking them. Lots of yellow sulphers and little skippers too. They must be heading southward. I also don't have near as many hummers as I did last week.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It rained all day yesterday....looking forward to seeing what the sun brings today...cooler temps too!

Kissimmee, FL

Hellooooooo everyone its been a while. I have missed you guys. My work has taken me away from everything for a bit. I have come back to ALOT to do in the garden. So I am taking volunteers this weekend for weedin, planting, moving 18 yards of soil and 15 yards of mulch. There will be hot dogs beer and milkweed for any takers! (kidding) The delivery truck got stuck in my front yard and had to drop there which made my work 3x harder.

However here is some good news the picture i have attached made it all better. Also spotted a peacock today.This time of year i usually have dozens but with the cold this past winter must have slowed them down. I am hopeful there will be a little rush of them before the end of the year.

Once i get caught back up I will post more pics, I am trying to prepare for the flow of Monarchs coming in next month. I have about 30 plants in the ground but the queens have already put a real good hurtin on them.

Wish me luck!

Thumbnail by Viceroy
Kissimmee, FL

Here is one more.

Thumbnail by Viceroy
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

yesterday's Monarch's that we released
Cage 1

Thumbnail by mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Yesterday's Monarchs release cage 2

I can see the cages from here and they are popping out already this morning for another go round to release

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Welcome back Viceroy and Congrats MJ. Pretty darn slow up here and it's 43° this morning.

Beautiful Viceroy!!

Wow looka at those Monarchs...Congrats MJ!!!!

I went to visit a Orchid Farm that is nearby today. They had lots of apple trees too and I spotted this Comma ...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

It blends right in with the leaves and rotting apples on the ground!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

And there was a Question Mark too on the apple tree!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

and another shot...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.