Did you experiment with something new in the garden this year?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 103 votes:

Yes, I planted a vegetable garden.
(27 votes, 26%)
Red dot

I purchased a new specimen plant. (what was it?)
(21 votes, 20%)
Red dot

I tried a new color or plant combination. (tell us!)
(8 votes, 7%)
Red dot

I added a water feature.
(5 votes, 4%)
Red dot

I purchased or created a piece of garden art.
(7 votes, 6%)
Red dot

I enjoyed the same old garden.
(35 votes, 33%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Same old garden here!

Resin

West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

I added more "tropical looking" plants this year to make my garden more interesting. Elephant ears, Cannas, Banana plants, caladiums, etc. I also purchased a variegated daylily - it is now one of my favorite plants! (I am a sucker for nicely variegated leaves.)

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Planted several artichokes from seed and actually harvested one globe. Then they all died. Try again next year. Never give up.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Always like to try something new and/or different each year to keep things interesting. Some things fail and some plants/flowers are a pleasant surprise. Favorite new additions for 2010 have been Ranunculus and Vietnamese Hollyhocks.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I added a orange/peachy, purple/maroon garden. We've only been here 6yrs and have pretty much a blank slate...hopefully will be adding something new every year.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

I had the 'same old' goin' on here. Enjoyed every minute of it! :D

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Had my first veggie garden. Learned a lot, canned/froze/gave away/shared a lot of food.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Not only did I plant a Limelight hydrangea, but a friend moved into a retirement home & allowed me to dig up many of her iris and roses; including "The Fairy".

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

I guess I'm with the majority, Same old garden, although I did plant more of what we really like and less of what we had plenty left of what we had canned still in the pantry. Kind of allowed the butternut squash to over populate but we fix them like we used to the white potato. (Just about anyway you can imagine) lol Next year- less veggie garden- more visiting and vacationing. Can't cut back on flower garden!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Same old Garden Of Weedin' !!

Thumbnail by LazLo
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Same old,same old here except I did buy a Mule Palm from Plant Delights Nursery. I've wanted one for a while now. It's still small, but it will grow!
Barb

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Same ole Patio set up. Guess that is about the extent of my Same Ole Garden where changes happen less frequently as I grow less able to manage new plantings. This year we have two Mininature Banana Plants because we failed to complete a swap this spring. Both are now three feet tall. Both may fruit next summer. They have produced seven pups ready to replace the mother plant which dies after fruiting. After many years of wondering I jumpped into a banana plantation. They are indeed wonder plants. We wonder if they will fruit.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Growing peonies for the first time and Peruvian Daffodils.

louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Same old tried and true. How can you go wrong with cannas and begonias. Especially the dragon wing begonias. They will survive in any conditions.

Thumbnail by ernbran
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Someone sprayed my garden with herbicide. I watched everything die and just left it. Not sure if I should replant as they may return with their spray bottle or let the weeds take over.

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

There wasn't a choice for me so I didn't vote but I certainly did something new --- I finally started my garden --- from scratch. I only got two areas done plus a small bed in the back, but what fun! (And hard work!) I learned tons from you guys on DG. Could NOT have done it without you ...

Sunny side garden before ...

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

And after ...

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Shady side garden before ...

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

And after ... thanks so much, all you great DG folks. Still got a way to go but off to a great start.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

growin.....WHAT????!!!!! why would someone do that?

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Wow growin, that's a miserable thing to do. I have that problem along my back fence that's next to the park. But I know it's the city employees spraying for weeds. I have to go talk to them every year to make sure they don't spray my flowers again.

I didn't vote because there wasn't an "Other" option this time. We added a greenhouse, which was an experiment just to build, and now I'm growing lots of orchids and seedlings inside.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I voted same ol' even though the same ol' changes every year - moving plants around, adding new plants, taking out ones that don't work, redefining or digging out new beds, tucking a veggie here and there - same ol' state of change, yet nothing major.

Stewart, TN

I haven't yet achieved a status quo that I'm satisfied with so it's lots of new things each year. This year I set out two sugarcane plumegrass bunches, a hops vine and a porcelain berry vine, an Austrian pine, a calla lily - and I think I'm forgetting several others! Some day I hope to make it to same old, same old. Oh, yes, it was a viburnum, an elderberry, some phlox, several daylilies, and datura.

louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Judy in Ga: You have already worked wonders. Like what you are doing.

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

ernbran:
Thank you! I still have a long way to go but I feel good about what I've done so far. One of the hardest things is deciding what to plant where! Once I decide, I'm off like gangbusters. Your praise is like candy! Thanks so much!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Same old garden and I'm so grateful for it. Thankfully there is a constant in our lives these days.

NE, SD(Zone 4b)

Something new. For zone 4b I planted, and they were beautiful, succulents and rose trees and double pearl begonia tuberose and cannas.

Port Angeles, WA

Rose,
Artichokes go dormant in the heat. Don't dig them up yet. They may well emerge in early spring, or perhaps some new growth when it cools off.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Planted 3 new japanese Maples. One didn't make it but the other 2 are thriving. Had the same kind of luck with peonies. Most everything else in the gardens was about the same as before with a few minor changes here and there.

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

I moved to Houston after having lived only in snowy regions. I planted veggie gardens in the north and tried it here, with some mixed success. Tomatoes didn't do well, but the cucumbers and cantaloupe did great.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I forgot to say to JudyinGA - nice transformation in your gardens. Great start and well done!

And to Growin in Vancouver - I echo what someone else said - What's up with that?? Did you make someone mad or something?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

OutsidePlaying - I suspect it is the same person who has been bullying me for years, considering it was the primary target of the sprayer. This time they took it out on the plants. I don't think she likes that I study plants and work at a nursery. I have tried to not let it get to me but it is depressing walking into the garden and seeing dead twigs and spray marks on the shrubs behind. What really got me was the plants I can't replace - Francoa, Heuchera cultivars, Polygonatum verticillatum 'Himalayan Giant', some New Zealand plants that I propagated, etc. So, should I replant and hope for the best? What does everyone think? I've just left it but it is so barren and I guess I should do something.

growin.............I do not know your country and it's laws. Here I would call in a farm agent, prove the report and advertise a nice cash reward for testimony resulting in conviction. I did just this a few years ago when someone was picking my pear trees at night. We put up a trail camera, caught the individuals and won in court.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Rather than opening up an ugly litigation battle, I would approach the neighbor and see if he/she is willing to sit down, perhaps with a mediator, and air out whatever the underlying angst is and see if you cannot reach some agreements that both can live with. This would be a hard conversation, but sometimes hard conversations are in order.

You gotta be kidding. Listen the person in mind is a natural born mean idiot. I have no patience with a proven idiot. The only language this guy speaks is where his thoughts of the day are proven in the good book. He carries his New Testament in his overhaul bib pockets to reference as needed. He's been caught stealing ten cent low end spoons from the Salvation Army Thrift Store. He was fired from a housekeeping job in a nursing home without public cause. You want me to sit and mediate with this idiot. He threw his own mother out of her own house. She died with a broken heart. His own kids will not visit and have not for twenty years. I have no need for any agreement with this turkey. You have got to be kidding.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Actually, its not a new, well it is I guess, water feature We had a 100gallon pond between a tree and the garden shed, Decided we were putting up a bigger shed and had to move it, so I went and bought a 165gallon preformed pond. It is is more sun, has a garden around it and my water lilies actually bloomed for me this year. Needed more sun I guess.

Guess its a new,but not so new, water feature.

(All I know the comet fish love it and so do the frogs)

Stewart, TN

Growin - that is so awful that they did that. I am so sorry you've had such a miserable experience! Years ago I lived in lower Arctic Alaska where you could cultivate almost nothing, but a brave family each year grew some kale and . . . now I can't remember what was the kind of flower that was so sturdy. Perhaps I will think of it. Anyway, kids would come by and tear everything up. They just kept re-planting.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

As my front garden was already sprayed twice, the person is a repeat offender. No point in discussion. Maybe I should do some groundcover to atleast green it up. In keeping with the topic of the thread, my experiment will be trying to green up a herbicide sprayed area with groundcover.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7a)

The local fauna were treated to half a dozen small tomatoes (total) from ten tomato plants. They always got there before I did when the tomatoes turned color. The corn died on the day I didn't water it. So did the yellow squash.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.