September Chat, Picutres, and Whatnot...

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Cindy and Sandra, sure hope you two have recuperated from having the grandkids! LOL Cindy--pretty flowers! Love that plumeria!
Kenny: cute little turtles!

My autumn fire sedum has turned pink--I need to get outside and take a picture of it.

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Wish I would have came on yesterday, I know rattlesnakes pretty good, that's the only kind of snake that I know though! It didn't look like it had a triangle head and it didn't have rattles on the tail, if it had rattles on the tail it would have been rattling and KA you would have known it. Look at the link to see rattles. When rattlesnakes are born they have one button and as they grow they get more buttons. Rattlesnakes don't get very big either, this picture shows an adult. Another thing about rattlesnakes, they will rattle before you will see them and there's no other sound like it. If your out in your gardens and you hear a strange rattle sound, like a babies rattle sort of, leave. I didn't know that Rat Snakes are constrictors, no wonder they get so big!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Crotalus_cerastes_mesquite_springs_CA.JPG

WOW Charlotte!! That garden is nice!!! What a treat to go there, thank you so much for sharing your experience! I love what he's done with all of the statues and that bridge and I would love to have that wine cellar!

Kenny your plants look nice!

It was about 10pm last night and Dave was next door helping Diana, and look what I found on the baseboard in the dining area!

Thumbnail by crissyr
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Crissy go look on the critter thread if you think rattlers don't get big. I think you are thinking of one type and there are many. These I have pictures of are babies to some Timber rattlers we have killed at the camp.
This guy had 15 rattlles and a button

Thumbnail by Riverland
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Don't worry,Crissy! that's not a brown recluse--just a very common type of spider that loves to get into our houses. Still, it wouldn't last very long around my house--one swat with the fly swatter would do him in!

Wow, that's a big rattler, Cindy!

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm sorry, I mean length, they don't get near as long as constrictor snakes do. You know, I have never seen a brown recluse, to this day. I don't have widows either, just these wolf spiders and writing spiders and other miscellaneous garden spiders.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Me either about encountering the BR spider Crissy. We have lots of the B Widows though. I think the reason for not seeing them is the BR likes dark places, under leaves in old pipes, things like that. They are more aggressive if disturbed I understand. I really don't want to see one unless it is to keep me from being bitten.

Vitex is liking this hot dry weather

Thumbnail by Riverland
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Your spider is a wolf spider. they aren't poisonous but the brown recluse do breed with them lol

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I feel the same way about spiders that my daughter feels about snakes--If they are in my house, there are only two kinds: dead and about to be dead! Brown recluse like to hide under your baseboards, too, and just because you aren't seeing them doesn't mean they aren't there--they come out at night. Yuck!

Pretty vitex, Cindy--a much better subject than spiders! LOL

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I agree Vitex is a better subject. I do like your Vitex Cindy. I got one a couple of years ago from a lady I know. She does a little plant sale every year to make a little money to cover some of the cost of her fertilizer, etc. It was a nice size plant and has grown really well but it is not the dark color like yours. The bloom is too light to be as showy as I would like.

Marilyn I also agree that the only good kind of spider is a dead one or an about to be dead one. I don't like those things. Even the non poisonous ones can cause bites that take a while to heal. I was bitten by a brown recluse years ago, when I was in my twenties and it took forever for it to heal. I've never forgotten that bite and don't want another one.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WE have lots of brown recluse spider s here, quite common to see one crawling across the living room floor at night time, trying to get to some dark corner. but he usually doens't make it to the other side of the room before he's a dead bug.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Is that the shoal creek vitex? I have that one new this year and it's grown a ton. I'm thinking I shouldn't have planted it where I did. i'll be moving it this winter to a better location.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I don't know the name of it. It's a light blue rather than dark blue. Mine was about 5 ft or so when I got it but skinny. I planted it behind the azaleas behind the deck. Trying to get additional screening where the big dogwood used to be and it is working. It's up above the azaleas. Just wish it was a darker color. I got it at a really good price for the size, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Ripley, MS

New thread, I finally have something to make a picture of--go see
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1128677/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.