ORVG Coffee House #181 September Party Time!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh Marcy, forgot to tell you....this is the weekend for Starving Artist in Miamisburg....since you'll almost be there when you get to Hemple, you might as well shoot on over!

(I'm going to try to talk Sue in to it!)

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Went outside earlier and noticed my sedums were 'alive' - lol. I sat down in a nearby chair and watched these for close to 30 minutes. I know, I know, I have so much to do but it's so pretty outside today and I decided to take some time and watch the butterflies. Sometimes you just gotta take a break! Hope everyone else is enjoying this absolutely gorgeous weather.

Thumbnail by janaestone
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Hasn't it been great fun to see the butterflies this year, Di? Gosh, there are so many of them and they all seem to be huge!

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

I agree, Cookie. It's definitely been a banner year for them. I usually get quite a few but I feel like there's just been swarms of them. I don't know if it's been the heat or what but they're in droves around here. I've seen some unusual ones this year too. I've been trying to ID them all the different ones I see but I'm still a newbie to that so sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't - it's still fun to try though.

i m pooped
gonna take a nap
bbl

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Joyce..haven't been there in yrs! We'll see how it goes!
Di...I did the very same thing. Sat down, soaked up the sun, petted the cat, and watched the birds, bees, (lol) and butterflies!! I should have been working...but like you said!

never did get that in today
Marcy and Di had a great idea so i did that too
soaked up some sun while looking through plant catologs

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Di I see a Peck's Skipper (center) and a Silver-spotted
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/map?x=252&y=90&_fc=1

I think the Expo is in Jefferson Township but all those areas blend together to me.....
Used to go to Two Bob's Bar on Route 4.....

Ric

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Di, what a great shot of the butterflies!! I have many of them too. I still have hummingbirds hanging around. I quit putting out the nectar, as the honey bees were just covering the feeders and the hummers were not even able to get anything to eat. I tried putting out several so maybe the bees would stay at one and the hummers could have the others. Nope, bees want it all. Butterflies flocked to it as well.

Well, I did do some weeding today, but most of my work was inside. Had some phone calls to make (business ones) and a mound of paper that needed some attention. I was supposed to go out to lunch with a friend, but she is still sick and didn't even feel like talking when I called. Her DH told me that she was feeling better, but she wasn't up for the lunch.

I am having computer problems again, and I did get online to do some research, in preparation of buying one or having one custom built. Ric, the one I bought turned out to not be what the guy claimed. I was able to talk him into taking it back and transferring all of my stuff back to my old one. I am currently using my laptop, but hate the keyboard. I spend more time correcting errors than I do typing.

I did walk this morning, I told you about that, but didn't tell you that I walked a mile and didn't have to stop for a rest. Before the weather got too hot I was walking that mile (took me a few weeks to work up to that) but had to stop and rest about 4 or 5 times. So evidently my strength is increasing. The Dr told me it could take up to a year for me to be back to normal.

The activities that you all have planned for the weekend sound good. Have you heard the extended forecast? Our WL are saying rain tomorrow afternoon, tomorrow night, saturday, and saturday night. The rain could be heavy at times, and the remains of the latest hurricane is to blame. They say Western Ky, could get as much as 2-5 inches on Saturday. We don't need that much, but we do desparately need rain.

Sure hope the rains don't ruin your plans.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Yeah....we certainly need the rain too, but I hope it hold off till Saturday evening..lol. That will make Dave mad though, as he has a car show he wants to go to! Can't please everyone, can we?
We still have many hummers here. They love my big yellow trumpet vine. They even try to open blooms that aren't open yet! I watched them today too.
Tonight, I cut hydrangea blooms. A few are good, but most are already brown. Just too much heat. Can't win there either. The heat made a ton of blossoms, but it also ruined them. My friend, Martha used to sell those blooms..for something like a buck apiece! Just think of all the money I lost!! LOL!

Waddy, KY

Actually I think 2-3 inches over a period of a couple days would fit right in to things around here. We're that dry.

Went to an aquaintance's farm to pick tomatoes last night. Truly "where the blacktop ends." 15 miles from town seemed like 50. Beautiful, not 300 ft. from the KY river but narrow curvy road. The tomatoes had gotten the blight so they'd quit picking them. There were still tons of tomatoes so I'm going to try to get up there and pick as many as I can before they pull up the stakes and bush hog them. I got probably a bushel of green tomatoes. Hopefully I can get some pickles made and chow chow.

Going to pick some pears at lunchtime. One of DH's friends has a lovely tree and never does anything with them. Never hurts to have a little pear preserves around.

I never had any hummers this summer until a week ago. Now all of a sudden they're around like crazy. Makes me wonder if they're just migrating through and remember the feeder from last year.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Marcy are you seeing any Male Hummers?
They have pretty much vanished South from here.

Bonnie look around at TigerDirect.com or Newegg.com
They have some incredible back to school deals going.
I'm really liking the Acers!

BBL
Ric

Thanks Ric, I have looked at Newegg, my DTS just bought one from them, and she said the delivery time was 2 days. So far she is pretty satisfied with it. I found a good deal at Circuit City, and I am going to check the closest one to me to see if they have it in stock, and what kind of support they offer.

I had an appoinment this morning, and didn't get home until about 1:00p.m. I did some weeding, and until we get some rain, some of the weeds are just breaking off, and not coming up by the roots, so it is a sure bet, that I will have to do that over again. About 5:00 we had about 25 drops of rain, but the forecast says rain tomorrow and tomorrow night, sometimes heavy. I sure hope we get some, and not just a sprinkle. Our grass is completely brown and crunchy, and if there is anything in the garden, it would surprise me. Anything that has not been watered is dead.

DH has gone to Indiana, and won't be home until sometime late tomorrow afternoon. He is seeing some of his Amish friends, and going to an auction tonight. Now, what he will buy and bring home, I have no idea. He doesn't need any more junk in his garage or barn.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey Ric...come to think of it, I haven't noticed any males!?? Dave said he hadn't either. Now why would that be, since there are still plenty of females around????? The males got tired of them or what??
Ut ohhh...Bonnie...look out! DH will be movin more in on ya, if he's anything like mine!! LOL!
Wellll...we went to the Garden Expo 2010. Got to see Chef Jeff make this pumpkin risoto...and then to sample it. It was wonderful!! And he was great! How he can talk..live..on the radio, and keep on cooking..is beyond me! I would completely flub up..one or the other or both! He never missed a beat! And he was cooking on a gas grill too. Really enjoyed it.
We saw Joyce and Sue there too!
Then, we went back to West Milton to the Brickhouse Tearoom for lunch. We were sitting, waiting for our food to arrive, when there was suddenly a terrifyingly loud BOOM!!! It sounded like a bomb!
But what it was...was a car hit the building, head first, breaking a window!! Luckily, no one was sitting close to that window. One car was heading south on Rt.48...the other heading north. The one heading south made a left turn in front of the car heading north, and was hit broadside. No one was seriously injured, thank goodness, but the lady that hit the car, was in shock..big time. She was shaking sooooo bad.
The one thing that bothered me the most, was it took the medics, police, and fire ..AT LEAST....15 minutes to get there!! Had it been more serious, someone could have died in that time!!
I say we had an eventful day!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The Males head south to stake out territories for a winter brood.
We are seeing Males here.
4 different ones today.
Tanking up during migration is my guess.

We had a little rain this morning.
Foggy now.

Well, it was very LITTLE rain we got. Darned WL's, I was wishing for a lot more. We just got 2/10 of an inch. They said more chance of rain tonight, but I am doubting it.

Oh, Marcy, that was an eventful lunch. It could have been much worse, if people had been sitting near that window. Wonder why it took the EMS so long to get there? I am assuming that this was in a town. Maybe they had to come from another nearby town. At any rate, it would not be an acceptable length of time should there have been any serious injuries.

Janet, Wow, on getting the green tomatoes. We don't have but just one here and there. The tomatoes that are getting ripe now have been taken over my a morning glory vine, and they are shielded from the sun and heat.

I had some errands to run, and went to the library, as there is nothing that I want to watch on tv, and I need something to occupy my time at night. I stopped at a couple of yard sales, but it was junkier than stuff I have!!

Marcy, DH didn't bring anything home. He did go to the auction, but in Amish country, auctions are mostly livestock and plants. He said they were selling all kinds of rabitts, chickens, ducks, goats, etc. They had a horse pull, and an antique tractor pull. I am so glad that I didn't even entertain the idea of going. There wouldn't have been a thing that I would have been interested in.

Columbus, OH

Working on a broomstick lace scarf for my SIL, will go out for lunch and then off to Lowe's for a utility sink. I figure it's better than NO sink, while my countertops are being made.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Don't forget Joyce is having a Gathering in two weeks!
Please stop by, relax and enjoy.

This was posted a few weeks ago and has come to my attention.
As we are all, pretty much, pet owners please give the Thread your attention.
Frank and his Partner Jim have gone out on a long limb here for a great cause.
I can't think of any more worthy cause for the ORVG to get involved with.....

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1124902/

Ric

The reason it took so long for EMS to get there is when there is an accident with no fatal injuries , nor report of any serious injuries and no life threatening situations they call who is available . IF there was a life threatning injuries ect... the closest would arrive and there is a time of less than 7 min. Well that is the way it was when i dispatched in Ca . it could change ? and this is Ohio so i am not familiar with there way. Hope it helps :) its not because they just dillly dally.
Yes sat was fun day and the risotta was delicisios. !
fun friends and things we did
today is cleaning house
plants need to go in ground
and grocery
Bonnie my oh my would my Dh love to go with your Dh LOLLL i think that would be dangerous them two together :)
time to eat
bbl

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi all. Sue..I guess my next question is...who decided it was NOT a life threatening situation? Because the waitress in the restaurant called 911...and I don't think anyone there was qualified to decide how injured people were??? Just my opinion. I mean...what about internal injuries?????
Ok...hopefully, there were NO injuries!
Well...we went to a carry in at church for lunch. Then...came home and started looking for Dave's trumpet. We spent all afternoon hunting that darn thing! Thought it was in the attic, but didn;t see it. Well..finally, after not finding it...we came down to eat supper. After supper, I said...where is your guitar? He said..in the attic. So back we go...because I thought surely the trumpet is close to the guitar, right? IT WAS!!!! We missed it the first time around! Woohooo!! Soooo..it has been up there 14 yrs....and been since 1978 that oldest DS played it in the band. Dave figured the valves would be frozen up...but amazingly, all were free, as were the slides! It is a little pitted here and there, but he will oil the valves, and get Ashley a new mouthpiece, and she should be good to go! It is a good trumpet...a Martin, and an anniversary model at that. So it will be nice to have the 3rd generation play it!
Oh maybe I didn't say that our DGD wants to play the trumpet! They were going to rent one, and I thought of Dave's. He will never use it again, I'm sure, so she might as well!
Joyce, Sue, was good to see you guys Saturday! Did you make it to the starving artists show? Martha wanted to do so many things, she couldn't make up her mind which one...lol...so we ended up going to eat!
Oh my goodness! I hear a trumpet!!! Hope the angels aren't coming for me yet!!! LOL!!

LOL Too funny Marcy!! That is good that she will be able to use her DGF's trumpet. I don't imagine there are many who can say an instrument stayed in the family and used by 3 generations.

We went to church this morning, then after church, a lady had invited us to a surprise birthday party for the guy she dates. (they both go to our church) One of his favorite places to eat is Tumbleweed, and we told him we were just going out to eat, and if he wanted to go. So we got him there and the restaurant had it all set up for us. I think there was approximately 18-20. All of his family and then me and DH and the pastor and his DW. He was surprised.

We didn't get home till about 3:00, so I changed clothes, puttered around in the yard for a bit and then tried to take a nap, but it was a no go.

Have an appointment with my rheumatologist tomorrow, and will stay in Louisville and do some shopping while there. I really don't like to shop, but need some dressy shoes for winter. I don't think it would be really comfortable wearing sandels in the snow.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well that sounds like you had fun Bonnie. I know we enjoyed our lunch at the church. They grilled hamburgers and hot dogs outside, and then everyone brought a dish to share. Lots of good food!
Have fun shopping tomorrow...lol. I hate to shop too.
I fixed chicken breasts for the freezer tonight. Saw this on tv the other morning. Pound chicken breasts to even thickness. Season with salt and pepper. Dip in flour, then beaten egg, then seasoned bread crumbs. Freeze on saran wrap covered cookie sheet for at least 4 hrs. Then put into freezer bags. When ready to use, put in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. I thought it sounded easy and good! I did ten of them! And I used Panko bread crumbs with garlic powder, and Kroger's chicken seasoning in the bread crumbs. OH...and it took 1 cup flour, 3 beaten eggs, and 3 cups bread crumbs for ten chicken breasts.
Nite all!!

Ummm, Marcy, that sounds good. I saw something that would make them even better. when they are just about done, put a slice of monterey jack cheese and sliced mushrooms. That sounds like a gourmet meal!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh Bonnie....that does sound good! I am trying to figure out how they brown by putting them in the oven???? Guess I will find out!
Well..another beautiful day here!! I have some boxes to go through, and then probably do some outside work.
Hope you all have a great day!

hello everyone
got home from work making apple cider.
just one of them mondays i guess. i felt like i was doing everything wrong :( i hate that.
got home early
bbl

Well, I did get to the rhematologist today. Did some blood work to make sure that the meds are still at a safe level, and told me that he would call, and if the levels in the lab work are good, start doubling my doseage. I am still having problems with the big toe on my left foot, and when they xrayed it, he says it is more than the bone spur. Eventually, it will have to have surgery, because it is not bending at the joint, and he says it will only get worse, and affect my balance when I walk. So fun things to look forward to!!

Marcy, I did go shopping, and I was looking mainly for some black dress shoes, sensible height heels, only for very special ocassions. (I have a wedding to go to the last weekend of this month. If you haven't shopped for shoes lately, it would be a good idea to go take a look. I am talking they are selling heels that are at least 4 inches high. My goodness, I wouldn't be able to even hobble in them. I did find a pair of naturalizer black, sensible height heel on a sale rack, 1/2 price. There was a small scuff on the heel of one shoe. Hehe, what they didn't know, that doesn't bother me, as after I wear them once, there will probably be more to match that one!! This was at Macy's. I had shopped at Shoe Show, Off Broadway shoes, and they have a gazillion!!

Sue, poor baby, some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed!! I know the feeling, but it will be better tomorrow. We have an orchard about 25 miles from us, and I think DH and I are going this weekend, and pick up some apples for eating, and I kind of want to make some applesauce. DH likes anything that has apples in it.

He pulled some turnips from the garden last night, and I cooked them for supper. They were watered about two times a week, as we have been so dry, and they are so strong tasting. He ate some, but I took one bite, and they didn't taste good to me. Seems like they do better in cooler weather with the right amount of rain.

Off to do some more thread reading.

Columbus, OH

I am allergic to something and my doctor cannot figure out what. Grrrrrrrrrrr

Celene sorry to hear of yoru allergy . I hope you can figure it out soon.
busy morning
Bonnie hope the bone spur doesn't hurt to much . Hmm turnips ? never had one . Will think on that one LOL
sending T&P for your foot Bonnie
very tired today ?
have a great day everyone

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Celene it shouldn't be hard to figure out that Allergy.
You don't grow that many plants or have many oils or fragrances around.... Oh Wait..... ;-)

Ric

Yeah Right Ric. It would take a long time to eliminate everything and start adding them back, one a week. Do you think they would have it figured out by 2012?

Celene, sure hope that somebody can get it figured out. Are you breaking out in hives? or is it the sinus/nose dripping. Of course this time of year the allergies are really rampant. Molds on all of the dead and dying plants, rag weed, etc. Some people blame goldenrod, but that is a myth.

Sue thanks for your thoughts about the toe. It is painful, but the orthotics for my shoes has eased it some. Just one of those "little things" that I hope I don't bump it against anything or someone step on it!!

Girl, you have led a very sheltered life if you have never heard of a turnip. Find you a farmer's market and buy just one. Take it home and wash and peel it, and eat it raw. If you don't like it raw, there is really no need to tell you how to cook them. I think it is a taste that you acquire. As with all crops that are grown, the weather has a lot to do with how they produce, look and taste.

Janet, do you still have things to take to the market? Well, I know the breads and the preserves etc, I mean vegetables? How is the house coming along? Sure hope to see you in it before the snow flies.

Wonder where George and Neal went? Miss you guys if you are lurking.

Went to the grocery today, and DH went along. Big mistake. We came home with donuts, cookies, and 2 fruit pies. I was busier taking things out of the cart than putting anything in. I guess I will need to go and buy GROCERIES by myself!! Oh, and he treats the aisles and cart as though he was racing at Talladaga. Didn't give me much time to look for anything. Hope we don't go hungry before next grocery day.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

If they added Celene's plants back one a DAY they wouldn't be finished by 2012....lol!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/botd.php?date=2010-09-15

Ric

Columbus, OH

They think it's something I am ingesting. They just don't know what. Ugh.

good morning
off and running
with a flying ~~~~~~to you all

Waddy, KY

The earth you feel trembling is me doing the happy dance down here. Cabinets are supposed to arrive tomorrow. They started replacing the porch floor yesterday after an trying weekend of getting the wrong information from the paint store about how to treat the underside of the porch. They kept calling it a deck and trying to sell me something I was pretty sure I didn't want. If finally dawned on me that I was talking to kids and they didn't know what a tongue and groove cypress wood porch floor on a Craftsman style house was. All they deal in anymore is decks.

Hope to get some more tomatoes picked tonight. Still got some green tomatoes to make into pickles. If I don't pick tonight maybe I'll start a batch of pickles instead. This is usually the lemon blueberry pound cake night but I had enough left over from market last week that I'm not baking any this week. There's plenty of other stuff that needs doing that can take it's place.

Not much in the garden Bonnie. I was going to plant late cabbage and broccoli but the lady at the greenhouse never called me to say the plants were ready and I decided that if it wasn't going to rain that I really had no desire to drag soaker hoses all over God's creation so I just let that go. I haven't planted kale or turnips yet for the same reason. A tent or two of rain would be just enough to germinate the seed and have it perish for lack of water.

Back to work. Later!

Not much sense in planting anything late this year, unless we get some rain. It is so dry my yard crackles and crunches when you walk across it, and honestly you raise the dust by walking across it. The WL are saying a small chance of rain tonight and early tomorrow, but a very little chance.

Too funny about the paint guys not knowing what you were talking about. They don't remember porches in all their glory!!

Celene, are you any better?

I didn't have to go anywhere today, so it was my roundtoit day. I had a whole stack of them and I did get some done. It feels so good to be able to reach in and finish something that is not high priority, but is important in it's own rite. It was mostly phone calls, and requests for information, making appointments, and putting them on the calendar. I did some laundry and deadheaded some of my castor bean plants. I do not want to make the mistake of leaving the pods on there, as I always have them coming up everywhere in the spring. If anybody wants some, I have the red ones.

Waddy, KY

Save me some please!

Will do, how many? Doesn't matter, I have oodles. Oh, I found another beef tongue in the freezer, we will have to do lunch soon, so I can deliver those goodies to you.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Bonnie, please save some for me too...will gladly send postage.

Thanks, Kris

Kris, you got as many as you want. No postage necessary, compliments of this house!!

Waddy, KY

Yes we need to do lunch. I hear they've opened a little cafe type place down at Buffalo Trace. They've fixed walking trails back up in there. It might be nice this time of year to check it out. DD #1 has booked the place for her wedding reception.

Got about three more bushel of ripe tomatoes and probably a half bushel of green last night. Got there around 5:30 and really had to hustle to get done before 7:30. I wanted to be off those crooked, hilly back roads before dark as were I was had no cell reception at all along the river. I might be able to get out there one more time before they either pull up the stakes and bush hog them or the rest of them just flat out rot in the field. I don't usually cool my tomatoes but I've got these sitting in the cooler hoping to keep them from going bad before the weekend they're that ripe.

Going to run out to the house at lunch to see if the cabinets are going in. I heard a rumour that a plumber showed up yesterday. He needs to get me a riser diagram so I can get it turned in to the health department for the commercial kitchen. It was supposed to be taken care of weeks ago but who am I to point fingers....

~~~~~~~ to all!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.