ORVG Coffee House #181 September Party Time!

guess not :( no rain . just a teaser sprinkle .... that is so wrong !

Glenview, IL

Hi! Today, is sort of a lazy read all the threads kinda day, I was going to work outside, but it's a gusty windy day.

So Waiving Hi Joyce, Sue, Ric, Bonnie!! and Lou, lol wonder do ya remember me?

Lou Are you still watching the Eagles?? I get to see some up in Wisconsin. Always remember yours at the quarry.
Sigh, i am still waiting for my Lulu to flower.

So what caught my eye, is your beautiful Butterflies...Awe, I caught one too, so thought I'd share, don't know what it is, but it is pretty!

Aww, so sorry you were teased, hope you get some needed rain soon.

Thumbnail by Seedtosser1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks all for the kind words. My daughter called again today. They were on their way to Clearwater beach for lunch. She sounds very happy. I told Dan he better take good care of her, or he will answer to ME...lol!
I worked outside today. Did several hours of watering. Thought maybe that would make it rain..but it didn't. It clouded up, got very windy, and sure looked like it could pour at any time...but it didn't! Dave said they had a small shower in town, but we didn't get it here! Maybe I should have done a rain dance????
I've been pulling up annuals...like spider plant, zinnias, etc. Makes things look a little better. Anyway...it did help to get outside Lou and Bonnie. Cut some hydrangeas tonight to dry. They should have been cut much sooner, but I just never got to it. I lost a bunch of them....the blooms that is. Oh well. I usually have too many anyway, but I do like them in vases and baskets in the house.
Had a good dinner tonight. Potatoes out of the garden, cooked with kale, ham and bacon. That was because I didn't have enough of either...lol. Then we had sliced tomatoes with cottage cheese and dill weed...banana bread.. and broccoli slaw. It was good!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

WE GOT RAIN!
After 25 days w/ maybe a spit a week.
I'd say about 1/2 " so the plants will be happy for a few days.

Hey JUDY!
Coming to Joyce's?
I can get you a good room rate!

Marcy what can you do........
They'll do what they do....
Then expect you to be there to help pick up the pieces.

Ric

Hi Judy ! :)
congrats on the rain Ric. we got nuffin . Springfeild got hit pretty good and so did Urbana but not our part . We could watch the storm from the soccer feilds !
good night and sleep well friends

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey, Judy, good to see you, don't be gone so long next time, ya hear? Pretty butterfly. I have tried to get some pics, but haven't been successful, guess Ric is the only one with the secret to doing that.

We got some rain, some wind, and it is still rumbling, so hopefully it is not over. We so desperately need it, and not just a 1/2 inch, much much more.

Got those buckets located, holes punched, and they are beside the plants. Guess that is what brought the rain!! Anyway, they will be there for use because it looks like it is going to be a long dry fall.

Janet, I had read about the furlough, but as you said, most people propbably so glad to have a job that one day without pay is sort of a small price to pay. I have some things that I need to dig, but dang it, my explosives permit ran out!! Our ground is so hard you would need a stick of dynamite to get anything dug up. Maybe later.

Marcy, Give that man a good talking to. There is no probing the depths of our children's ,minds, no matter how old they may be. Maybe it is star dust in their eyes, who knows, but hope the star dust turns to cement to help them stay together. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. I find getting out and working and thinking and praying, is about all I can do, except throw in a dose of love.

Lou, it is good to see you popping in. I so wish that we had some eagles close by to watch. One of the fun things to see on the way to the Ky Ru is the eagles along the lakes down there in western Kentucky. Regretfully, I am not going to that RU either, just too far, and I am not strong enough for that drive just yet.

Grocery day tomorrow, so will not check in till later, oh, I already do that now!!

Columbus, OH

Getting ready to rain here...I assured that would happen by ordering my doors today. LOL

I scored two awesome plant stands for $25 at a tag sale. The homeowner made them, they're kinda A shaped with five shelves, all but the bottom one could hold a nice plant.

My cabinets are in, I'm getting the second coat of paint today, and the floor will be in early next week. Countertop people are AWOL, which makes all of the skin fly off my face, so I'm just a flaming skull walking around the house, I'm so angry. I paid for them August 2. They stood me up six times for measuring the counters. Today, I'm either going to have measurements or my money back.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Sorry to hear about the kids, Marcy....know it's breaking your heart. Hope things work out with your daughter. Sounds like an interesting start to a marriage!!!

Hey Lil Injun...your rooms ready and waiting! Cool shot on the butterfly...Ric can probably name it, too!

We did get 10 drops of rain...I know I stood outside in it. Two times it looked like it could rain, and I even left the top down on the convertible thinking that would surely get us a good shower, but it was not meant to be.....sigh...you just can't water enough....so sad....

I know some of you know Joan Day that has the wonderful garden and plant sale twice a year in Hamilton. Well, I was with her on Monday and she told me that her two month water bill was $600. She said that wasn't to make her garden flourish, either, that was just to make it survive! Can't imagine that....the good thing for her though is that she can write it off on her taxes, cause it's her business.

Good to see you Lou...you guys going to make it to the carry-in on the 25th?

Hi Janet and Celene....waving to all you other "Lurkers"....you know who you are!

This message was edited Sep 8, 2010 8:04 AM

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi all !

I'm still watching the eagles. They came back in the spring, remodeled their aerie and had one off spring this year. They are fishing a

lot out of the river since the water level is down and the fishing is good. They can easily see the fish in the water.

I don't think we'll be able to make it to the carry -in this fall. I was hoping we could but family stuff came up for that same weekend. Drat!!!

We haven't had rain for 6 weeks. The gravel pit here is a real dust factory. Add to that , the farmers are picking corn ,so we look like the dust bowl. The forecast is for possible rain on Saturday. Here's hoping for some.

Have a great day everyone! Lurker Lou

Columbus, OH

I'm a Lurky Lurkerson, the kitchen is absorbing my time, and the garden.

the one nice thing on well is .. free water :)
but wells are expensive to drill so i guess its an even out.
good morning everyone
well its my first day on the job at the apple orchard. kinda nervous.
wish me luck

Waddy, KY

Water bill? You ought to be watering around 200 cows day in and out! The ponds are so low we don't want them in there because we're afraid the calves will get stuck and stomped in the mud.

Youngest got her driving permit yesterday so this morning her older sister told her to drive home from the farm. She wasn't 200 ft. out the driveway and a rabbit decided it was a good day to die and ran under the wheels even after she'd slowed down for it. When I heard what happened we had the discussion about if it's the telephone pole or the ______ ( insert whatever animal you'd like here) she'd better take out the animal and leave the pole alone cause the pole will win every time.

They started to level the porch the other day and discovered most of the floor joists rotted out. They got them replaced and we've been looking for some tongue and groove lumber to put back down. We wanted treated but that doesn't appear to be available around here. Came across some cypress so I guess I'll be using that. They want to put a primer coat on it before it's nailed down so I guess I'm going to try to fly out there Thursday afternoon/evening and slap the paint on that. This house is going to drive me crazy.....

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning all.
Sue...on the well...still gotta watch how much you water...so the well doesn't go dry!! Ours never has...but I won't say never! And we really don't watch our water consumption, unless it starts smelling funny. Then you know it's low!
Janet...I don't envy you the house remodel. I STILL remember our house when I was a kid at home. It was in a perpetual state of remodel!!! Drove my mom nuts!!! Well..not really, but almost...lol!!
Celene, been watching your pics on FB. Get on those guys!!!
Lou...my friend, Martha, said an eagle came down and drank from her big fountain in her yard the other day! She couldn't believe her eyes!
Sue...good luck! Didn't know you were going to work at an apple orchard. I must have missed that.
Wow Joyce, on Joan Day's garden! I thought her gardens were mostly hypertufas?? Maybe it's changed since I was there. It's been a long time. Also...still trying to think what to bring to the round up???? You know I will bring something...lol.
On killing animals, instead of hitting a pole...well...I am now officially a murderess. I feel really bad about it too.
Yesterday, this huge fat mole came waddling across my driveway while I was watering. The only thing I had handy was my cane! So I turned it around and used the handle of it to bash him. He died. I felt so awful...for a minute! LOL. He was headed to my front garden!! He had been tearing up things around here for a while...so it was time for him to go! Did you all know...OSU says there is only one mole per acre????? That's hard to believe.

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Marcy, if that's true then I have all of Seven Mile's moles right here!

Waddy, KY

Marcy, no way! There has to be colonies to dig up as much as they do! And yes, I'm a murderess too. We were digging potatoes and it had to be the biggest, fattest vole came out of the ground and just sat there. Those suckers have been working over my potatoes and my tomatoes and I did him in. Didn't loose any sleep over it either.

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

We have an inground pool and at least once a week those suckers fall in and drown. I open up the skimmer lid cautiously because I never know what I'm going to find.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Drowning is good! My cat won't even touch them! But of course...she likes birds! Bad kitty!!
Well...I find that hard to believe too, about one per acre! But that's what is in their info. I think we have at least ten per acre here! And voles...those are such nasty little creatures! I'm not sure which do the most damage. Moles eat meat..such as worms, grubs, etc. and voles eat roots of plants...and kill them!
I am glad I am not the only killer on here...lol!!!

got home from work . whew 70 gal of cider and he says we will start doing 200 gals. in the prime season ! yikes
looks like i will be a taking a lot of Aleve this fall.
gonna take a nap before kids get here

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Poor baby.....did you make some for me?

Sue, I guess the farmer is just breaking you in and going easy on you right now. My 200 gallons. How big is that orchard? If it is good cider, I would love some, but if it is the kind that tastes like apple juice, forget it.

Janet, I know before the house is finished you will have many more surprises, and dashes home to deal with them. I think I was called away from work one time while ours was being built. I told the builder before hand, that I wanted to make decisions on everything before he even started to save me from having to make a hurried decision.

We had 1/2 inch of rain last night, and as dry as we are, it is already like we didn't have anything. It did settle the dust for a bit this morning.

Bonnie its pretty good cider. not pasturized and no sugar added. just all apple .
i can bring some to the RU.
if you want to buy some let me know
the farmer is cheap ! no discounts on apples or cider ? wow .
he does have over 20 acres of apple tree's. yep he has tons of apples LOL :)
many varietys too.
gala, cortland. red delicios. yellow delicious. granny smith and others i m not sure of.
Joyce are you ready for friday !! and saturday . fun fun time again.
hey folks there is a Plant Expo in Dayton this weekend if you want to join up with us.
Mark Weber the Garden Guru is having it at his nursery. fun stuff.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey Sue! Martha, Morris, Dave and I are planning on going to the plant expo...if it doesn't pour down rain...lol! Maybe we will see u there!

hooray Martha and Morris and you guys hooray. rain ? did i hear the R word ?

well Ms.Lucy is adjusting in just fine
Hi my name is " @#$ freakin dog stop that . no no. @#$ "

Thumbnail by

another one
this is the good Lucy dog

Thumbnail by

this is the possessed Lucy
she is plotting a evil plan to rule the world, with her little chocolate lab mind control ! run run run. run away . warn others !

Thumbnail by

pics of the garden
this is where i have started plating all my stock plants
this corner has chinese juniper, marcys ferns ( no those are not for sale ) Clethra Alnifolia and Chelone hot lips

Thumbnail by

jap red maples

Thumbnail by

liriope varigated and Big Blue
coral bells Silver Scrolls
chelone hot lips

Thumbnail by

bored yet ? LOL

close up of Red Maples
they look really great right now , they didn't when it was spring ?

Thumbnail by

the white powder is DE. Diatamaceous Earth keeps the jap beetles off

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

SURE that's what the white powder is...... lol!

Never did find a source for Lodi Apples.... errrrr.....

Ric

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Is it Friday and Saturday? I thought it was Saturday and Sunday!

Lucy fits right in with all of us...... ;o)

yes the thingy is sat and sun but i thought you were coming here friday ? and staying over ? if your up for it .
Lucy and i did our walk this am. feed chickens watered chickens.
she stays close and comes when called. She knows who has the hot dogs LOLLL
our free range chicken has been dinner for a predator. :(
our other chicken may be dinner also, unless i can find a cage for her. She is not letting the other chickens eat and is pecking them to the point of blood is drawn and big wounds just like the other hen did . we can't have that. Soooo ????

Waddy, KY

Ric, were you looking for the tree or the fruit? I'd think any respectable orchard should have had the fruit. The orchard at Owenton finished up their last Lodi apples two weeks ago. I should have gotten some but had a few left over from previous years and decided to clean the freezer out.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

SUE! Get that frowny face off there! YOU KNOW you wanted that hen GONE!!!! Mean ole thing!

Sounds like Lucy is doing great.

No...I wasn't coming up there to spend the night now...that's if we get to go to the Hosta College...remember?

I checked the plant expo, and it's on Hemple Rd...if I read it right, and that's down my way....you should come spend the night with me!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning all.
Actually, the Expo is close to Moraine and West Carrolton I believe. The directions said it was only 15 miles from Martha's house in Phillipsburg? Then 2 more miles on Hemple Rd. Hemple goes off of Diamond Mill Rd. Hope you guys are coming!!
Going to work outside again today. We had 42* here this morning!! But it is warming up nicely!

I have been out and walked this morning. I just couldn't do it in the horrible heat, so hope that this weather holds so that I can get some exercise in. I don't know the temp this morning, but DH left to go fishing, and came back and got a jacket. That is chilly!!

Catching up on some neglected things today. Had a lunch date, but she is sick, so double checked that she isn't feeling up to it, and have started my long forgotten to do list.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

In the 40's here this morning....a light jacket almost wasn't enough!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.