ORVG Coffee House #181 September Party Time!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We came from here.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1120629/

Still roasting here but it should break Tonight!!!!

Ric

This message was edited Sep 2, 2010 9:20 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

what happened to my post ! uhg

oh crap that was a different thread LOLLLL
good night everyone
sleep well friends

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the new thread Ric. I wasn't having trouble with it, but if we have any who still are on dial up, I am sure it was slow loading for them.

I rode with DH to Louisville today to pick up his new glasses. We stopped at Sam's and didn't get out of there with as much in the wallet as when we went in!!

Boy it was hot again today. We passed an outdoor thermometer in Louisville and at 11:30 it said 92. Of course at home I don't think it was that hot, but it was close to that. Our yard is brown and crispy, and there is hardly anything left in the garden, DH mowed one garden down yesterday. He planted some late squash and some turnips and is watering them every day. The squash has blooms on them. So they should produce something. This is the first time he has tried to raise anything after the first garden was finished.

Louisville has had more rain that we have. We saw GREEN YARDS!! Or maybe they have just been all watering them. It looked pretty wide spread, so I do think it is from rain.

Janet, I have done just about every job there is to do in rehabbing a house and getting moved into it. Matter of fact the move to our present location, I did all the moving, as DH was working 18 hours a day. He got some fellas together one weekend and a large trailer (we were only moving a mile) and got all the furniture moved. I moved everything else. I worked a week on it, would go get a load from the other house, come here, unload it and put it away!! That is the secret of moving, put it away as quickly as you can. We took another weekend and hung pictures and curtains.

I had a Ladies Missionary meeting tonight. It is a pot luck meal. The hostess furnishes the meat, bread and drink. A new member had volunteered to be hostess, and we had HOT DOGS!! I guess it was okay, but it was something that has never been served. Usually it is ham, chicken, roast, etc, and everybody else will bring something that goes with it. Usually if it is your first time doing it, you try to put your best foot forward and make a good impression. Before someone says, maybe she couldn't afford it. Yes she can afford it, so that wasn't the problem. Maybe she just likes hot dogs!!

Oh, well, my SIL, another neighbor and me are having a yard sale tomorrow and Saturday. I have been busy and haven't gotten all I wanted to out and ready, so may get up really early and get some more things out. I just hate to drag stuff from the attic, and if it doesn't sell, then you are left to do something else with it.

Off to read some more threads. ~~~ to everybody!!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Morning all!

Bill is making sounds about a one day yard sale tomorrow....after last time, my heart just isn't in it.

Just a reminder about the get-together here on the 25th.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1123008/#new

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Dang...wish I could see those pictures better when they're so little. Let's try this one...

Thumbnail by joycet
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Ric for the new thread!
Good morning all! Nice pics Joyce! I haven't forgotten the party! But I did forget to ask Morris and Martha....I will do that. They don't get to go to too many outings anymore...and they did so enjoy your place!
Well..grocery day here. Dave has to go to work early today...11:00 am...something about the boss has to go somewhere and no one to cover for him. Anyway...he is in the shower....and I had to wait my turn!!
We had a SMALL shower here this morning! I called Dave to look at that strange phenomon falling from the sky!! Even the cat thought it was strange!! Sure didn't amount to much...dampened the driveway is all.
Well..I better get a move on..he is done...and I am next!
Have a good one!

Happy Birthday Melissa. Hope it is a great one.

Supposed to be participating in a neighbor's yard sale, but it is cloudy, and I haven't taken any of my stuff there, as it looks like it could pour any minute.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I was just coming to say Happy Birthday to you as well, Melissa. Hope you're having a good one...

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

September party time??

well got
more daylilys planted
got some Jap Red Maples in . they didn't establish in the pots but still have red leaves so i hope they can establish in the dirt.
planted in some butterfly bush also. got lots more to plant .
tomorrow is hosta planting time
Empress Wu and Big Daddy will go into a corner .
got some mini's ordered so i hope they come soon.
Hush Puppy and Teeny Weeny Bikini LOl i just like the name HA. :)
Ester are you coming to the fall RU ? my fig is doing wonderful !!!
oh gosh just reminded me i have a ton of iris to get in the ground "ack" :P

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yep the weather has broken,
Fireworks are this weekend,
the rug rats are gone from the neighborhood so the dogs are quiet
and we can have the adult BYOB Fire Pit gatherings.
Party Time!

We got ZERO Rain! errrrrrr!

Ric

Ric, we may have gotten 25 drops of rain, so more than you!! At least it turned cooler. I have doors and windows open, and AC off. Feels really good. May need a blanket in the morning!!

I took my stuff to 2 neighbors that were having yard sales, sort of divided it up. I hadn't been gone 10 minutes when one lady called and said, your purse sold. I had put a vera bradley purse in her sale, plus some brand new tennis shoes, and a few other things. So they are having the sale again tomorrow, and if I don't sell another thing, I have been successful.

This worked out well, as I didn't have to haul everything out here, I just took a few things.

Sue, wow, you are always planting, are you near to running out of space? Bet when spring comes, you will sell a bunch, and then you will replenish your supply.

good morning everyone
Melissa did you have a good birthday ? hope you did.
Good deal on the sale Bonnie. I hope i sell things this spring. LOLLL divide and conquer i always say LOL
with 8 acres in front i sure hope i don't run out of room ? :)
still planting today
bbl

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Chele...get together here on September 25th...not sure if that's what you mean, but hope you can make it! Seems like we haven't seen you in ages! I posted the thread above about it.

So nice to have a little jacket on this morning as I walked and sighed. Gosh everything looks so bad. It is just too, too dry and you just can't water enough~! I just hope that stuff is going dormant, and not really dying. I will be heartbroken if I lose some of the stuff that looks so bad.

Bill wants to have a yard sale today....sure hope he changes his mind. Seems like if it was going to be successful we would have already had it set up!

A friend invited us to come to their campground for a day this weekend, but Bill already has plans. Deer something.... anyway, it was nice to get the invite.

Congrats on the purse sale, Bonnie. After last time getting stung by that counterfeit money, I just don't have my heart in sitting outside all day for a few bucks...

Ric...how does your garden grow???? ;o)

Soon as I find some qt. pots I have some stuff to pot up for Sue. I could put them in larger pots, but the dang potting soil is so expensive, I really would rather avoid using bigger pots. Maybe you should come down, bring pots and soil and help me dig these things, Sue!!!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well the garden is looking a bit droopy.
We'll be watering heavily today and probably Monday.

Rain chances increase after Tuesday.
Looks like the hot weather will be coming back in and hopefully bringing some rain up from the Gulf.

Ric

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

From your lips to God's ears....

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

We ended up with 1/4 inch here - better than nothing I suppose. The weather - oh my - is heavenly. I slept so durn well last night. I know they're saying it's going back up next week but right now it's beautiful outside. I went to the Hamilton Lowe's and found a ton of plants in the clearance section for $1.00 - $2.50 each. I thought DH was going to have a heart attack when he saw the back of the van :) but he quickly calmed down when he saw the yellow stickers on the pots. I found some 'Beaujolais' loosestrife I'd been looking for and some pretty carnations that are like a stripey pink and white called 'Garden Spice Marble'. I also found red/orange mix rudbeckias, pink yarrow, bellflowers and even a daylily. It was a great deal if for nothing more than loosestrife. I'm leaving here in a bit to hit the Middletown Lowe's - lol. So...I know I should be out weeding but feeding my plant addiction is much higher on the list!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Di, that's a gorgeous loosestrife...if you run across another one, would you pick it up for me? Pretty Please?

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

I was able to pick up four yesterday for $1.00 each - can you believe it? So I already have one for you, Cookie. They're not the best looking specimens but good enough to know they'll come back gangbusters next year. I've been wanting one of these for a long time so I was thrilled to find it. I love loosestrife as it is but that one just 'spoke' to me when I first saw it.

ok fine Cookie what time do you want me ? how about sunday. I think Lucy misses Ceyenne. LOL
well got some Chinese juniper in ground
got some burning bush also
got a oak leaf hydrangea Amethyst. Paniculata in. yes i know its spelled wrong. just pooped. LOL
trying to think of something fun for kids and i to do this weekend
well off to the grocery store.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Sure, Sue...come ahead. I don't have anything planned.

I saw Joan Day today. She said you'd been emailing and that you might go see her. I got your message while I was driving...I'll listen to it again and call you.

Well, it has been a full day. Had some errands to run this morning, came home and made a dessert to take to a church pot luck tomorrow. Had a bit of a nap about 2:00, then showered and off to Louisville to a surprise 50th birthday party for my niece. Good get together, she was surprised totally. Glad that we went.

Came home and did some more cooking for tomorrow, typed the church bulletins and 2 letters for the preacher,and wallah, here I am!!

It has been a gorgeous day temperature wise, but sounds like we had better and hurry and enjoy it all we can because they are saying back to hot and humid. Surely one of these days it will be fall and we can enjoy this weather for a good while.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I watered for about 4 hours today.
That brought out the Butterflies and I ended up spending about 3 hours shooting pictures.
Then editing killed the rest of the day... lol!

Here's a Red Admiral that popped in.

Thumbnail by henryr10

good morning everyone .
hope my coffee can help me get motivated today.
got peaches to can .
pup and i have been doing our morning rituals .
up to pee. poo. the romp and play . watch chickens and they peck her nose through the cage. LOLL funny stuff.
got some big hosta to get in the ground. I may just keep them in the pots over winter ? but i need the pots soooo.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Had a fun day with Sue....she shared her birthday cake with us! Oh, yum.....

i m pooped.
so are the kids and the pup
Cheyenne is a great puppy sitter and kids sitter
watching a movie
good night

My day was busy, up and off to church, where we had a dinner afterwards. I always enjoy them, as there is usually a good variety of food, and plenty of it. There was a family who visited today. He grew up in the church and as far as I know, has not been back for 30 years. He came with his wife, and 5 kids, and we thoroughly enjoyed seeing him again.

Ric, I know about the amount of butterflies. I just can't get over how many that are here this year.

Sue, glad that you and Joyce had a good day, and so glad that you got to share your birthday cake with her. Did you get any more planting done?

Seems like tomorrow is the only day that I will be home this week. So got to get in gear and get the laundry done and house cleaned, because with just coming and going, it sure will be a mess by the time I get back to it.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Robyn's DS has maybe 12 different plants.
Her Stonecrop is just starting to bloom.
I saw 6 Silver-spotted Skippers, 3 other Skippers and a handsome Male Eastern Black Swallowtail. On a bed maybe 6' x 3'.

It's amazing how many Butterflies are out!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

good morning everyone !
still on my first cup of java so
bbl

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
Heading out to hunt some Butterflies!

Ric

This is Labor Day, and I really am Working!! Discovered that this will probably be my only day at home this week, and thought I had better get the laundry caught up, and the house sort of picked up. With me coming and going, it will be pretty cluttered by weeks end.

I need to go out and do some watering of new plants that I have put in this year. Since everything else is nearly gone, not gonna worry about anything else.

Hope you all have a good day, whatever it is you are doing.

Ric i had a great shot of a green tree frog on a hellabore leaf. Wish i had my camera or your camera ! would have been a great shot.
off and running

Gosh, everybody must still be at the picnics, or the BBQs or festivals, or plain just working.

I got lots done today, some of it can't be seen, as it involved cleaning out dressers and closets and just some drawers in the kitchen. Got 2 loads of laundry done, dried and put away.

I went out and watered after the sun went down. I am afraid some of the perennials that I planted may not survive these weather conditions. I need to do some moving, but would have to have a stick of dynamite to dig the holes. Maybe we will get some rain when we really start into fall.

good morning everyone
got lots to do today
shipments to get out
laundry
canning
digging plants
kids soccer
dishes
so exciting my life :)
hope we all get some rain soon !!

Waddy, KY

Hmm... I think there was a weekend somewhere in the chaos the last few days...

Friday was our first state furlough day. Most of us are glad enough to have a job that not too much griping was done about loosing the pay. I got the tomatoes and some pumpkins picked. It was a good thing I planted the pumpking early because otherwise I'd have none due to lack of water. It's so dry my okra is only knee tall and is just sitting there. I didn't think anything ever hurt okra but I've changed my mind this year.

Saturday and Sunday were heavy market days. I did get two kettles of salsa made over that time. Then yesterday I got 8 batches of Habanero Gold Jam made plus the girls and I got 8 rows of potatoes dug. The potatoes were of good size, I just wish there'd been more of them. I was amazed that the plow was even able to go in the ground it was so dry. At least that's done and one less thing to worry about. A friend has offered me her tomato field to pick some green tomatoes for relish. I can't see me getting there before Thursday though.

I need to move two rows of daylilies but as dry as it is I'm not fixing to do it. Ground too hard and dry and I can wait.

Sue, I think I understand.

Get up of a morning
Bake
go to work
come home
pick what needs picking
bake
go to bed.

I think I've screwed up this picture...

Have a good day folks. Pray for rain!!!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning all.
Wow Bonnie, you could work circles around me! And you too, Sue! Come to think of it, probably anyone could...LOL!!
Well...we had a good holiday...that is..until I got two phone calls.
First...my youngest son, Ashley and Dawson's dad. Seems he and his wife broke up yesterday..after 16 yrs! She has been 'seeing' someone else. However, neither has the money to get a divorce right now. Anyway..it breaks my heart.
Next phone call. My daughter called and informed me she had gotten married yesterday!! And to...guess who????? The guy she left in Washington! No...she isn't going back to WA...so she says. And he won't be moving to FL right away either..soooooo.
Why get married now?????? Who knows!!
Anyway...all of that really ruined my weekend. Mostly because of the gkids. I feel so bad for them.
Well...today is another day, and I am determined not to dwell on all of that. Going to try and get some work done outside...mostly pulling out dead things. They are saying we MIGHT get some rain tonight...I surely hope so, as most everything is dying here...even trees. It looks almost like a desert.
Stopped at my SIL's last night...they are at a lower elevation than us, and on the other side of our town. Things are much greener there! Lucky them!
Ok..guess I best get busy here. Dave has to go to work soon.
Have a good day everyone!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Marcy, I have a stone in the back yard that reads" An hour in the garden puts life's problems in perspective". I have found many times that it gives my brain a vacation from all that is going on with my family. I hope the gardening gives you some comfort.
It is hard to watch our children's lives and not be able to change things for them. Lou

Marcy, my thoughts will be with you. Yes, it is hard to hear those things about our kids, and even though sometimes we don't agree with their decisions, it is THEIR decision. I have often told my son that the only thing I can do now that he is grown is to love him and pray for him. He is too big to pick up and spank and tell that what you are doing is not okay.

Had an appointment this morning, and am just getting home. I need to go out and do some watering as my new things are looking pretty sad. I think I am going out to the barn and find some old 5 gallon buckets, put a small hole in it, fill it with water, and set beside those things so they can get some moisture slowly, as if I water, most of it runs off.

Marcy i m so sorry to hear of your kids decisions. Divorce is such a hard thing on kids. I agree why get married if you don't live together ?
does he have debt ? cuz if he does she will have have his debt too ?
well off my soap box sorry
well here thunder and i hear ...... what is that i hear .......... pitter patter of some sort of wet stuff ??? its like a weird water substance coming from the sky ??? ITS RAIN !!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.