DAILY BUTTERFLY PICS Page 81

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Like DS said this it was something on our bucket list. LOL!

Want to see pics go bto fb.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2010 7:00 PM

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

HBM

Thumbnail by jmorth
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I had 3 monarchs make it to the chrsyalis stage. The first opened but the BF never emerged from the chrysalis. The second one eclosed today but the wings were very deformed. I have one more left. I am not very hopeful that it will be successful. I will not be trying monarchs again.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

sounds like the OE! Since I discovered that you can see them on the caterpillar, i'm a bit more comfortable raising them

I am sure it was/is OE....I just feel I missed what I should have been looking for.

This one little single Duskywing among many many buckeyes and Silver Spotted Skippers, and other little skippers! The Sedum has just been covered in the late afternoon/early evenings!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Bright spot today...Giant Swallowtail!! :)

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

All of your AMAZING pictures make me wish I was at home watching my plants!! I had a couple of Spicebush Swallowtails on my Lantana this weekend.

Carla

Thumbnail by Loonie1
Molino, FL(Zone 8b)

I had a tiger swallowtail, female black form, posing today.

Thumbnail by pestee42
Edinburg, TX

Sweet dark form Tiger!!! We don't get those down here.

Had a wee Lantana Hairstreak this past weekend. Uncommon for us. Considering they use lantana as a larval host and the ranch has hundreds of lantana plants growing wild you'd think we'd see more than just one Lantana Hairstreak. Go figure!

~ Cat

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

That dark form Eastern Tiger Swallowtail is so neat. So I went on a search, because, you know, I want one ;) I found this site
http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/eastern_tiger_swallowtail.htm
Now I knew they used Prunus serotina (black cherry, wild cherry) as a host, but I didn't know they used Lindera benzoin (spicebush) too!

Red Oak, TX

Loonie1, you're Spicebush Swallowtail in the photo is a dark form female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail. They are somewhat larger than Spicebush, which would be a bit uncommon for Rowlett (although not impossible).

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

American Snout -

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

2 Summer Azure

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Snout and Sooty

Thumbnail by jmorth

I want an american snout!!!!

nice everyone

Edinburg, TX

Mrs_Ed - come to south Texas during the Great Snout Migration - you'll get millions!!!

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Well besides the Monarchs. Julias and Gulf Fritillaries I'm noticing these guys here more and more. I know what it is but see if you guys can figure it out. If not I'll post later.

Thumbnail by Roly0217

Ha Cat!!! i'd LOVE to come down for that!

Roly maybe a Cassius Blue? Cute.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

You got it right Mrs_Ed. It is indeed a Cassius Blue and I was soo excited that I could get right on it's face with the camera. It's soo small and it didn't get spooked.

I have a feeling this isn't a butterfly, but a moth. Does anyone know what it is?

Thumbnail by terryr

I also had a Pearl Crescent. A Monarch and something tiny and looking white, were out there, but didn't want to be photographed...lol...

Thumbnail by terryr

Yah, it's a moth, no idea though.

I had 5 monarchs on the Tithonia yesterday. It was like this last fall too.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

I had 1 lonely monarch on the sedum the other day...no pic.

Here is an "artsy" shot of the GST...LOL!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

ha. nice

I couldn't get close, zoomed in as much as I could, cropping only made it blurry. It is what it is.

Thumbnail by terryr

Pretty sure this is a fiery skipper, though I didn't get a good look at the under wings. Wish they would stay still for longer!!!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Glad you all are getting some action in your yards...

Dale...did you go to the nursery? I was down there and in Kerrville, I entered the address I have on Medina Hwy in my gps, but found nothing at that site and drove a mile or so more, never spotted it. Rain was coming down in buckets and I figured they might be closed too so I gave up....we needed to get on the road for home. It was dark before we got to her house and had to watch for deer along the way plus high water. Stressful drive home....glad I didn't find it and make us later.

Red Oak, TX

Sheila: No, I postponed the trip until next week because of the weather. I thought of you navigating the Hill country during a tropical storm. Got over 5 inches of rain here at my place, which is considerably less than a lot of people in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Nothing like tornado sirens going off to raise the blood pressure. The plants certainly enjoyed the drink, but a few things did get blown over (tithonias being the biggest one). Sun is out today and things are flying again.

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Here's what I found on my sedum about an hour ago. Cat ID'd some Silver Spotted Skippers for me on another thread where I talked about them being all over the place. There's plenty more than the SSS here.

Thumbnail by janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Here's another view...it's so much fun to go out there and watch them. I sat there for probably 30 minutes. Of course, it helps that we had such a good break in the heat and it's beautiful right now as well!

Di

Thumbnail by janaestone

I finally got a better picture. I would have had a perfect picture of an Eastern Tailed Blue, but my puppy decided to come see what I was up to. The wings were open too. Then I had a Red Admiral, but as I was ready to snap the picture, it flew off.

Thumbnail by terryr

there's 2 in this one.

Thumbnail by terryr
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

quite the congregation of skippers there janaestone

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

mirror image

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Cabbage White duo

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

go figure

Thumbnail by jmorth

oooo.....that last shot is cool! lol

North Fork, CA(Zone 7b)

This is a Western Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio rutulus) photographed late last month. The blue in it seems to match the blue in the buddleia.

Thumbnail by suewylan

Oh Di! They just keep on coming!!

Terry, is that an ironweed that the monarchs are on?

Yes, that's ironweed, blooming along with goldenrod. I have a few clumps here and there blooming. It blooms July thru Sept.

I didn't get it here, but this is what mine is
http://www.prairienursery.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_plant_info&cPath=64_2&products_id=280

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.