Star Jasmine Question

Carlsbad, NM(Zone 7b)

Can someone tell me how to propogate a star jasmine? A good friend lost his and I'd like to give him a start of my plant but don't know how to propagate it.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I've never done it, but my houseplant reference book says to take stem cuttings in the springtime, and to use a rooting hormone.

Don't wanna sound like a textbook, but I wanted to offer what I found. :)

HTH
-Jennifer

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

Star jasmine cuttings can be propagated at any time. However, new growth cuttings work best. Cuttings should be about 6 to 8 inches long. Dip the stems in water to stop the sap flow. Put several cuttings in a small (3") pot filled with damp peat/perlite mix. Place the whole thing inside a plastic bag filled with your personal carbon dioxide and seal it up. In about 3 weeks you should see some new foliage growth. Gradually open and remove the plastic bag and start watering as needed.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Will Creed, Horticulturist
Horticultural Help, NYC

P.S. You may be interested in my website at http://horthelp.homestead.com and my Indoor Plant Bulletins that I publish monthly. The Bulletins contain lots of helpful facts and unusual tips for keeping house and office plants alive and well.

Carlsbad, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks. And what a wonderful site you have, Will. I have bookmarked it and will be a frequent visitor.

New York, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Mardell. I have an entirely new site nearly completed that will have a lot more helpful informaton than my existing site. If you send me your email address I will add you to my announcement mailing list.
Will Creed
wcreed@erols.com

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I just sent an e-mail asking you to add my name to your list.
Cheers,
Carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.