ORVG Coffee House #180: Roasting in August!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks everybody.

Janet, It is Dr Shouse. Thanks for the prompt on the name.

Since he needs to be there at 8:00, I probably should know something by noon at least. I am hoping that everything is fine, and that after the procedure, I can leave his SO to see to him and come on home.

At any rate, I will post when I know something.

Thanks celene for the candle, everybody keep up the prayers and good thoughts. I would rather be sick that my DS, isn't that silly?

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

(((((Bonnie)))))

Hey Sue
If you still have some yellow tomatoes
You can throw them my way, my favorites LOL

Make some tomato jam or preserves with them
It is real good... If you don't like it you probably could sell it.

Pauletta

Paulette, did you make some tomato preserves with my recipe? I guess DH has forgotten about me making some, cause he hasn't asked for any. May just have to get them out and put them on the table for him in the morning. He will have to make his own breakfast, but he can cook breakfast, now anything else is questionable.

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

No I haven't Bonnie.
I made a pint jar of them a few
weeks ago and I used a little bit
of ginger in them. I liked them.
I have been buying most of my tomatoes at the food auction.
It is hard to bid against the owner of Dairy Queen.
The few yellow tomatoes that they had went pretty high.
Want to make your recipe if I can get a few more yellow tomatoes.

Pauletta

Wish I could help you out, but most of our tomatoes, yellow, red and pink are just about gone.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Praying for Bonnie's DS right now....it's a beautiful morning out there!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Sue...that's fine. We'll put the little bugger in the fenced front yard while we go to lunch and fun! Maybe Cayenne will teach her a few things!

Columbus, OH

Bonnie, that's not silly at all, I'm the same way. *hugs*

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, Bertie and I had a fun time last night. We went to the MVWGS (Miami Valley Water Garden Society) meeting...our second one...I took 3 pictures of my pond or surroundings to be voted on by the membership. We were to choose 3 to go into the club calendar for 2011.

Here are the 3 shots that I submitted.

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is the second:

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is the 3rd shot.

There were 50 members in attendance last night and we each got to vote 3 times. There were a total of 8 pictures in the running. I voted for the lotus picture and this pond picture. Plus a white lotus blossom picture that someone else had submitted.

Boy was I shocked when 2 of mine were winners! Neither Bertie or I voted for the one with Riley in it, but I guess enough others liked him, cause he was one of the winners. The pond shot below was the second winner for me.

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I was able to catch one small koi and one shubunkin from my pond, and I had them in a large antique jar. I donated them for the raffle.

Our speaker last night was from Green Vista Water Gardens and he brought 15 plants to talk about. 4 of them were water lilies, 2 hardy and 2 tropical. He donated them to the raffle after his talk. I was lucky enough to be the second one called and I chose one of the tropicals. It is called "Crystal" and sounds really pretty. Well...not too long after that another one of my numbers was called. They had specified at the beginning of the raffle that you could only take one plant and then you had to go to the regular raffle table for the rest of the drawings. So since I already had a plant, when they called my number, I slipped my ticket to Bertie! So she was able to get a lily as well, and she picked the other tropical. It was a blue one, I think called Laura Fraze. Later when we peeked at our plants, we realized that the lily I chose had a much smaller habit than the one she chose...so being the good sister that I am, I offered to switch with her. Hope I'm not sorry!

The first thing to go off the regular raffle table were the fish I brought. The couple that took them asked if they could take the jar home and bring it back to me. I said that would be fine, cause we had wanted them to come and see our ponds anyway. This couple was on the pond tour and were so, so nice. In fact she offered us some her plants and took our names to call us when the weather was cooler. All in all, it was a fun, fun time...plus we stopped at Graeters on the way home and had ice cream!

Just home from a long morning at the hospital.

The colonoscopy results were good. Only minor iritation, but hemmorids. However, since there was so much pain associated with his symptoms, they sent him immediately to have a CT scan done. We won't have those results for about a week.

So thanks for the thoughts and prayers, good news so far.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

The prayers continue, Bonnie....

Thanks Joyce, I am lots relieved, as the Dr said "it doesn't look good" when they referred him for the colonoscopy.

I am giving prayer the credit for this good report, as we have been doing lots of it!!

Cookie she will be fine in her crate on the front deck. :) she has plenty of toys to occupy her. i think ? LOL do you think she would be ok in your yard ? could she squeeze out of a hole anywhere ? oh look at me i m such a nervous mommy. LOL sheesh this dog has grown on me.
Bonnie good news on the DS. sure hope he can get some relief.
not much going on here today
quiet day
made some killer salsa !!
got rest of tomatoes frozen up
and i have tomatoes in over roasting for freezer bags too so i can do some sauce in Dec :)
just no energy these days ??

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Good news Bonnie!!!!

Well we're stuck going to an Anniversary Party Saturday.
40th of Robyn's DS and BIL. Family Thing.
Yes the ones we had such a bad time w/ 4th of July.
Plus it's a now a non-surprise party.
Her Sister sniffed it out.
Robyn said as a kid her parents had to start storing all presents at other people's homes.
Her Sister would snoop until she found them. Then tell everyone what they were getting.
So do we yell.... Surprise?
It WILL be a short party for us I guarantee!

We're buying a truck off of MY Sister and BIL.
Joyce saw it a few weeks back.
We haven't test driven it yet.
It will be a good excuse to leave early.... lol!

Ric

I m pooped
good night

Well, there has been so much going on today. I have a friend whose grown daughter has gone through breast cancer, and has done good. however, she went to the ER on Tues night with a migraine headache, and scans showed 4 lesions on her brain, cancer. I just talked to my friend, and she came through brain surgery today and they were able to remove the largest tumor, and the others will be attacked with radiation. So good medical news all the way around.

Sue, yep, them puppies do grow on you, and before you know it they are almost like your children! Mr. B is my youngest son!!

Ric, ewww, glad that you have an excuse all ready to escape the party. Don't you just hate those kind of things that you feel obliged to go, but look for a good reason to leave early? We have a wedding coming up, one of DH's great niece, and it is one we really don't want to go, but feel like there is some pressure there for us to attend.

Well, guess I am heading to bed. I think tomorrow will be the first day that I have not had to go somewhere or do something for someone else. DGD is coming tomorrow night, and we will be going to the last day of the state fair on Sunday. My feet are already beginning to hurt in anticipation!!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL...I heard that, Bonnie! Glad the news is continuing to be good medical wise.

Sue, she will be fine in the yard. The holes in the fence are small enough that she can't wiggle through them and unless she is a digger she won't be able to get out. Besides....then you don't have an excuse to rush back up North!

The truck is a fine one. Wouldn't mind having it myself! Call when you're in the area, Ric...we might be back by then!

Got a couple pix of butterflies the other day...it's been so fun to see so many of them this year!

Thumbnail by joycet

good morning everyone
well were taking pup to the vet today
have windows open feels good
got to run
~~~~ to you all and good day to you all

Where has everybody been today? I have checked in a couple of times, but didn't have time to post.

I just had a leisurely day, did a few errands this morning, and then came home and put some steaks in a merinade for supper. They sure were good.

DH and DGD are going to the final day of the state fair tomorrow. Since most of the animals and exhibits will be in the process of being packed up and shipped out, I am going to forego that trip. My feet will thank me for being so considerate.

I am having to fill my hummingbird feeders every day. One was completely covered in honey bees this afternoon. The other had it's share of butterflies who were sharing with the hummies. I will need to get out and get them filled early in the morning, as I don't want to fight bees after it warms up.

Off to bed, just as soon as I read the Sunday school lesson.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We were all over the map.
Butterfly hunting, Joyce's (missed the girls but met Sue's puppy) and up to Robyn's Sister's.

From this morning.

As Yogi Berra says:
When you come to a fork n the road, take it!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Looks like the little bugger is being fed well!!!

Had a wonderful time yesterday. Bertie and I took Sue out for her birthday lunch, and on the way there stopped at a garage sale. I lucked out with a brand new looking crockpot (one of the nice big oval ones) for $7.00, Bertie got some cushions for her swing for $5.00 and Sue got a tupperware cake carrier and a dog crate for cheap. After lunch we went to Sharon Nursery. Got some cool plants there. Marcy, I picked up a Dre's Dagger Fern for you since you asked me to keep a look out for it....sure hope you still want it!
After that, Sue and I decided to go to Dorothy Lane Market for something sweet...Well...turns out, since they have such yummy food, that Sue wanted to spend her birthday money and she bought stuff for our dinner including a nice bottle of red wine...so she spent the night. Oh my we did eat well! We had a wonderful cheese.. .hmm can't remember the name of it, and we got a nice little round focascia to go with that...plus some figs...now I'm not a big fan of figs, can't stand Fig Newtons and the like, but she talked me in to trying this thin slice of fresh dried fig and I liked it! Still won't go out and buy any, but I did enjoy the two little pieces she cut for me. Then we had Asiago crusted chicken breast, balsamic marinated couscous salad and rosemary bread. Oh yeah, some pork balls with sweet and sour sauce (RIC...get your mind out of the gutter!) For dessert we had picked up two pieces of white cake with raspberry filling and whip cream icing...BUT it wasn't whip cream icing, it was buttercream and there was hardly any raspberry in it and it was STALE! So we did a Thelma and Louise in the convertible with the top down and went back to DLM at 10:00 and returned the two slices of cake. WELL!!!! 4.99 a piece should have been AWESOME, NOT DISAPPOINTING! We looked around for something else, but we were really still full from everything else, so we came back home and called it a night.

Lucy is a real sweetie pie, and I think she'll be easy to train. I had her sitting on command before she left. I would have kept her. I think Sue has become attached though! They just left and I thought I'd check in here. Hope you all are having a wonderful weekend!

Ric, sorry we missed you, why didn't you call?????

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon all!
Well..we were busy running too, yesterday! Well..not just yesterday...but seems...EVERY day lately!
I got up very early on Friday and went to the Friday Sampler at the fair. It was pretty good. Met the girls from my Homemaker's club which is now defunct..lol. We all sat together though...and ate lunch together. The programs were from a pond guy out of Ft. Recovery...interesting! Then Kitchen Aid had a program and made 4 recipes...and we all got samples. That was good! Plus they demonstrated their Artisan mixer, blender, food processor, and immersion blender. Now I need a new food processor and immersion blender...lol!!! Then we had a designer who gave a talk on designing and home decorating. Last was a lady who talked on the history of Ohio album quilts. So all in all, it was pretty good. Afterwards, I went to do my shopping, and got home just a few seconds before Dave. He got to carry in the groceries...lol!!
Yesterday, we went to the Portland, In. tractor and engine show. Now you might think that doesn't sound too great, butttttt....they have a WONDERFULLY large flea market..if you like that sort of thing...and we do. I got two cast iron grates...that have an arched pattern in them. Will use them somewhere in my gardens probably. Also got a neat old tin...probably from the 30's or 40's...breadbox. It is an awful color of lime green, but I'll clean it up and repaint...and use in my kitchen. Dave got a large tin cabinet for his garage. Should have seen us packing all this in the jeep, along with my mobility cart!!! We did it! Good thing the back seat lays down!
Then we came home, unloaded, and went to the Eaton car show...which is really a big one! Came home and collapsed!
Joyce..yessss...I do still want the fern. Is it ok if I wait until the roundup at your house? Or do you need me to get it sooner??? I can..if you want me to. Just let me know. And thank you!!
For you folks that wanted the larkspur seed...I am so sorry, but I didn't get to it in time. It had already dispersed when I looked at it! Maybe next year????? Please forgive me. I DO have plenty of poppy seed and Cleome seed...I think...lol. I'll check.
Well...didn't mean to write a book, but hope you all have had a good weekend..like me.
It's already too hot here to do much outside until tonight, so think we are going on a hunt for a rollator...a rolling type walker. I have decided that I might be able to get more walking in, if I use one of those...and less riding on the cart. My hand has really become bad from using the cane...so thought this might help. We'll see.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Marcy, that's fine. I'll try to keep it healthy for you until then!

Bill and a friend went to that car show in Eaton. He said it was the best car show they've been to in a LONG time. Had lots and lots of cars that they've never seen before at any of the other shows. He was happy.

The couple who took the goldfish and shubunkin at the Pond society meeting last Wednesday are bringing my jar back in a little bit. Guess I better get outside and spiffy things up a bit! ^_^

Cookie and i did have a great time ! so just copy what she said LOL
mulching today and watering
i forgot my cheese at COokie ! darn it . big bummer. but i got the wine Muwhahaha
have a glass right next to me at this moment yum.
kids went to there last meeting on 4 H . The family has a huge pond !! one half you swim and the other you fish wow its huge.
so they had fun
Ms.Lucy is very very tired pup LOL
she did discover deep sea diving at Cookies LOL poor thing went under head first and down she went !! lost her for about 5 sec. She came up and was very upset and i think her pride was hurt mostly poor little baby. LOL
off and feeding kids

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

That's how they learn Sue.
Next visit it will be hard to keep her OUT of the Pond.

We had a KILLER day Butterfly hunting.
My first one was one of the rarest in SW Ohio.

Olive Juniper Hairstreak

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Ric, beautiful. How many species have you found and photographed?

Sue, Labs love water, if this was her first encounter, believe me, she will be back for more. Glad that you all had a good time,

Marcy, wow did you have a full weekend. The tin show sounds really good. Glad you got some things to bring home, but would have been bad if you had bought so much that you had to choose what all fit in the Jeep.

I DID NOT go to the fair today. After thinking about it, and deciding that most of the exhibits would be gone or in the packing up stages, and I was not keen on seeing the horse pulling contest, decided that I would let DH have all the fun. He took DGD and they went. Left about 12:30 and he didn't get home until about 6:30, then had to take DGD home. He hasn't been in about an hour. I spent the afternoon reading and napping. Was a really good feeling to be all by myself doing what I wanted to do for a change.

Off to bed, I have volunteered to stay with my DBIL tomorrow at the hospital, to give my sister a rest. He broke his ankle on Thursday, had surgery with plates and screws, etc. but is having a hard time as he is diabetic and has a heart condition also. Some of the pain meds are working against him, and the hospital wants family with him at all times.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Not sure yet Bonnie easily 3 dozen.
I have a ton of ones yet to ID.
Eric is coming over one night to help me.

Here's my new fav.

Pipevine Swallowtail (Battus philenor)

This message was edited Aug 30, 2010 6:12 AM

Thumbnail by henryr10

Very pretty, I don't believe that I have seen that one. However, there is one that I am seeing here that has that same color blue, but it is higher on the wings, and has a difinite pattern. Well, need to get out my reference book and see what it says it is.

You know I told you about the bees and butterflies and hummingbirds that were flocking to my hummingbird feeders. Today they emptied 4 inches of nectar from the feeder from 9 am to 4 pm. They are gonna eat me out of house and home at this rate.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ok Joyce. Dave said the same thing about the car show...Lots of new and different ones he hadn't seen! It is a big one!
Ric..love both those flutterbyes! Where are you finding all these?
We have a lot...but don't think I have seen either of those.
Lucky you!
Well...have to get my car fixed tomorrow. I have a gas leak...a pretty good one...like almost a steady stream. NOT GOOD! Dave thinks it may just be from the fuel filter itself. We are hoping so!
We went to the new Englewood Krogers today. WOW!!! What a store! It's like Jungle Jim's in Cincy! It has everything!! And you think Wally is big? NOT! I was amazed! They even have furniture in there!!
LOL...but they didn't have my jar of applesauce that I was looking for! They were out!
Bonnie....glad you had a laid back day! I need one of those!!
Nite all!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Wrong ID, I changed it.

The ones on Butterfly bush are from our yard.
The others from Woodland Mound Park.

Ric

good morning everyone !
kids start school on wends hoooray
though i do get disgusted with the crap of a public school system. We have a new principal so i m hoping we get along. :)
i could go into full detail on how our school district opted out for the 41 MiL Ohio just got for schools but .......
homeschool is looking better for me.
so with that said
i will be hoping you all have a great day and enjoy the heat ! Muwhahahha

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

LOVE that black and blue one...oh my...I've seen many new ones here this year and yesterday, they were absolutely swarming the verbena bonsenarias!

Haven't been to a fair in years and years...and I just love circus waffles! Good thing I don't get to go I guess.... :o(

Hey Chele...did the kids get back to school okay and are they in sports already? Hoping you're having some nice days alone with your little guy and not missing the girls too much.

Esther, you should see my meyer lemon tree you gave me. It's doubled in size this summer and looks so healthy. I sure hope I can keep it alive this winter!

Lou...how do you overwinter your pond forget-me-nots? The ones you gave me have not done very well this year. No blooms and really struggling just to stay alive. I hope I can keep them and that next year they'll be better.

Melissa...how's your son? Seems like the last I heard he was graduating. I'm sure he's all grown up and is a MAN now!

Celene, Annie, Jules, Kim????? Where are you girls?

I wish this picture had turned out better. It was really pretty.

Thumbnail by joycet
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Sue....I enjoyed the cheese....glad you forgot it!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Joyce, I just leave the forget=me-nots alone along the pond and they have returned every year. Did you put them in the pond, or in dirt beside the pond? When we started out with them, we put some dirt in an ankle high hose, added the plant, and tied the top together loosely and anchored the string under the rocks surrounding the pond and floated them in the pond. From there, they just spread everywhere on their own. Lou

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I planted them in a pot that has holes in the sides (airpot from LariAnn) and sat them on a block so the roots are in water and the top is out. Do you think I should take them out of the pot and plant them in the ground for winter?

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I'm not Lou...but yes...I think you should plant them in soil. Lou gave me some of those forgetmenots too...and they are the same that I already had. They are really just regular forgetmenots, Joyce and Lou. They do like water, but they also like soil! Mine were planted in the soil..in the shade...in my flower beds and did just fine. They do only seem to bloom early, then just green for the rest of the summer...or sometimes even going dormant...but should be back next spring. Anywayyyyy...MY opinion...LOL!
Morning all!! Another hot one! We had to break down and turn the air back on this morning, since I couldn't get dry from the shower...lol!
Well...the guy can't get to my car until tonight or tomorrow.soooo! We will take it in after lunch and leave it. Hope he doesn't charge an arm and a leg! I only have two of each!
Called the drs office to see if he will call in an RX for one of those Rollators. The office girl said she would call me back sometime today...which means...5:00pm....lol. Sooooo...can't get that today either.
Hmmmmmm...wonder if I can find my jar of applesauce anywhere?????
Guess I won't be doing much outside until evening..with this heat...so will probably go look for applesauce instead. Have a great day all!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

My Forget-me-nots that have came up from seed in various places in the my gardens
do well in soil also if they get some water. The only ones I've lost are the ones in full sun this summer and with the heat and drought I couldn't keep them going. They may spring up next year , who knows. LOL Lou

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.