ORVG Coffee House #180: Roasting in August!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I really would though! I had someone come help me for a few hours three different days. She ended up with plants and a little bit of $ too!

I still think it was really rude of them to NOT show up the first time! Didn't they think you'd be out there straightening up and it would be hot then too? geesh.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Well, I got through the day without killing my DH. I told him last night that my day was planned, and I didn't want any garden produce brought in the house today, or we would be having a funeral. That guy is working my buns off.

We are having a breakfast at church tomorrow, and I have spent the majority of the day getting things ready for that. DH and I have kitchen duty, making pancakes, and the other stuff is just casseroles that I can pop in the oven and they will cook while we do the pancakes. There is another couple that is doing the clean up!! Whoopee!! I can be as messy as I want.

Marcy, I sure hope that the "garden walk" goes well. Maybe at that time it won't be so terribly hot, and nobody will have a heat stroke. There would be something wrong with the picture if I came and pulled weeds for you, when I have a ton of my own!! You know if I was closer, I would give it a shot. I know your gardens will really widen their eyes.

Janet, isn't it funny how we get used to seeing something one way and when it is changed it looks weird? Even different curtains can change the whole look of a room.

Sue, I am so glad that you got a second opinion on Lucy. With the abdomin being tender, I am wondering if there is so much pressure from the infection that she is quite uncomfortable. However, if she is still playing I am sure the antibiotics will clear it up in a few days.

Celene, are you having a kitchen make over? Oh, I sure do pity you! Been through one, and it was pure heck, and that isn't the word I wanted to use!! I thought they would never get done. Well, the good thing is not having to cook. Enjoy that part of it.

Chele, I really needed my help early in the spring. Seems like after everything gets going, I am mostly able to keep up, it is just getting every thing gone over the first time, and clearing the winter debris.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey, Folks, Checking in to commiserate on the heat & humidity. I've been lurking, reading about the woolly worms & cicadas as portents for fall. I'll have to check my oak tree for falling acorns. It's been so nasty out, I've barely been outside except to reposition the soaker hose. Even with that, and the occasional use of the sprinkler, everything is pretty wilted outside. The grass crunches underfoot. Grass should not be crunchy.
I got a bid on removing the moraine locust tree in the backyard, which is always clogging up my downspouts and tripping me on its roots. Just over $1000! Holy Moses! I may have to look for someone less reputable ;-) It is one heckuva big tree, & it's a lot of grief.
I spent a day this week visiting with an old flame from high school. He lives in Hillsboro & is doing some historical recreation of the Women's Christian Temperance Union march on the bars that took place in the 1880's there (don't quote me on the date-- I didn't look it up). We caught up on what we'd been doing for the last 35 years, & I found out he's gotten the genealogy bug, too, so that's nice. We compared notes & found a mutual ancestor from 1798!

I had not heard abt marking the first day you heard a cicada. I'm hearing so many now, though, that I wonder if I'm going to live through the "big" cicada years here. Even old-time Westside neighbors are talking about how many carcasses they're finding--- cicadas, that is-- and in the afternoon & evening it's hard to hear yourself speak outside. Eek. or Ick.

Joyce, that Miss Wu is gorgeous! As are all your hydrangeas, Marcy. I love hydrangeas. I think I only have eight here: surely I need more! My current favorite is Little Lamb. It's gotten huge and the flowersheads are big & lovely and turn a wonderful light rose color as they age.
I wish I had more exciting news, but we've been having a really boring summer.
Pat

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Chele :))!
Bonnie, I'm sure it will go just fine..like I said, I am NOT going to worry about it!
To top it all off, Dave and I both have some sort of virus that's going around our town..upper respiratory thingy...yuk! I need a new head! He brought it home from the store of course!
Pat...I bought 4 new hydrangeas this spring...and so far, the only one I am impressed with is the strawberries and cream....and even that one isn't doing what it is supposed to! They said first...white...then pink..then red. Well...so far, it was a beautiful white, now turning pink..and brown..lol. Don't think it will make it to red! But that might be because of the weather too...so I will give it another year. I bought one called Tilt a whirl. That one will have to do a whole lot more next year to impress me..lol. I think the old timer's like Pee Gee are still the best. I have lots of Endless Summer too...and I am not impressed with it either! Oh well...!!
Bonnie, it is supposed to be cooler starting on Monday..thank goodness! This heat has done a job on me this year...and I usually love the heat!
Can't win them all..can we!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pat check out Blue Ox tree service in Milford.

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/15247664418/blue-ox-tree-service-inc-milford

They do a lot of work around here.
We had them take out 4 trees for that price.
Cody is very easy to work w/.

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Ric! I'll check them out.
I bought myself an improved weather station, since my old one had gotten quirky. I may have to call in a PhD to help me get it set up, but I expect to be boring my family & friends with volumes of weather data very soon.

Marcy, I have just one Endless Summer. It's performed well except for one off year, but I've heard other people complaining about a lack of blooms after the first year or two.
I'm going out to take a picture of one that I got from a nursery in Tennessee that has really done well. I think it's called SHooting Star but let me get my facts together before I start bragging about it.
Pat

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Guys! I've missed you. Had DG friends from Alabama come for a few days and they left last night. I've been recuperating. It's so hot out! Just drains you...I'm so looking forward to some less humid days. I have clover that needs to be stopped before it seeds and gives me even more. I have a big family thingy (MY mom's 90th birthday celebration) on the 22nd and I'd love for the garden to look good and weedless, but alas...it is AUGUST! So they'll get whatever they get!

I enjoyed your pictures, Marcy. Hope you don't overdo it getting ready for the walk...it's brutal. If you get a chance to layer some of that Tardiva hydrangea......I'd just love a start of that. I got a start of an Oakleaf hydrangea from Candy earlier this year and it's looking really good. Didn't grow for a while, but it's settled in now and putting on some nice new growth.

So nice to see some of you rare posters....try not to be strangers! We miss you!

Sue...got a picture of Miss Lucy?

here is the beast
Pat good to see you . Hope you can find a better deal on your tree. :)
Marcy good luck on your garden tour. I hope they are happy in this heat ! yikes. Hope you and Dave start feeling better soon. No fun to be sick in this heat. yuk
got some corn but no white corn. just the bicolor. i love the white but the guy who i work for just says it is to hot and he can't water fast enough. soooo :(

Thumbnail by
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Cute pup, Sue...

Pat, how wonderful to find an old friend... and to have a common ancestor and share a passion for genealogy... wow!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Celene, my husband pulls that kind of junk all the time. LOL If he doesn't buy a card, he says he didn't want to spend money, not knowing how much we had in the bank. But, he'll stop for a candy bar, pop and cigs. Ummmmm.

Pat! Tell me you were not in Hillsboro and skipped visiting! If so, you were about 12 miles from us. I still owe you some sleepover time if you want to hang in the area some day! How big is that tree?? I remember you showing me the roots and also where a tree had already been removed.

Bonnie, I told hubby earlier today that a couple of blue sodas would seriously improve my attitude and my ability to use the weed eater at 95 degrees! I went out and got three gardens trimmed up. Then the thunder rolled in just after the kids dragged the hose to my new seedling garden. We hopped in the pool before the weather could get to bad and back out before the lightning started. So, I didn't have to waste any water and didn't get any more gardens done and in came my blue soda. Geesh. I am thankful for the rain.

We just started getting eggs from the new chickens we got in May. Yay!

We love our Chocolate Lab! Unfortunately she has skin issues. :(

I guess I better hit send because the lights are flickering!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

We drove in a horrendous storm up to Greenville. As we got there we drove out of it..but it was following us. We pulled into Bob Evans parking lot, and then had to sit in the car for a good 20 minutes! It was a gully washer! Thank goodness we weren't starving...lol! I bet they got at least 3 inches in that time. Got back home, and we had just 9/10 of an inch in our rain gauge...which is better than none!
Sue your puppy is adorable! And yeah...I sure hope we get rid of this stuff. My head has hurt all day. It just feels weird.
Joyce...I'll see what I can do on layering for you.
Well ...think I will check out some other forums and then give up for the night! Take care all.!!

Columbus, OH

Lotsa labs have skin issues, Chele. Sad, but true.

Went to the Newport Aquarium today, love the shark tank!

Sue, Lucy is really pretty. Hope that you get all the health issues taken care of so that you both will be able to enjoy each other's company.

Marcy, we had to take DGD to Frankfort, which is about 18 miles away, and while we were eating, the skies opened and it poured. It let up, and we then went up the street to a shoe store, and had to stay in there for about 20 minutes before we could get back to the car. When we got home, we had an inch and 2/10 of rain in the rain gauge. We really needed it too.

I have caught the summer crud too. Last night my throat felt scratchy, and I had a headache. Didn't sleep worth a durn. Had that breakfast at church this morning, and had to be there by 8am. Got that done and came home and napped about 2 hours. Then to Frankfort. I think I am going to go to bed early and maybe a good night's rest will do more good than anything. I hate a summer cold.

Night everybody.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Celene you went right by us on the way to Newport ;-(.

I had 4 English-style Black Labs over a 20 year period.
Never had the first skin problem. BUT we never bathed them.
Once a week at least they were in a lake, pond or creek.
Year round.
We were told by the breeder, also an avid hunter, that soap destroys their natural coat oils and messes w/ their skin.
He said that about all the water gun dogs he raised including Chessies and Water Spaniels.
But we used Labs bred to be field dogs not show or house dogs.
Almost a different breed.

We had a bit of rain rumble thru.
Maybe 1/2" but it dropped the temps 20°! AHHHHH!

Ric

Columbus, OH

I thought about that, Ric, but I didn't know that my college friends wanted to be dragged thru gardens. One of them lives just outside of Blue Ash, so I have lunch with her fairly often, I'll send you a DM next time. Otherwise, it was likely too much estrogen for you, even if none of us are particularly girly girls.

DH made up for missing my anniversary by buying me a fanfreakingtastic set of Calphalon. He found a sale where he got the set I wanted, PLUS a free Dutch oven, PLUS a free new utensil set that matches the kitchen that someday will be in the DMZ on the north side of my house. It was a great deal. All you ladies who like to shop...he loves to shop, and is great at finding the really quality items at thrift stores, auctions and tag sales, and can talk anyone down on a price. All wasted on a wife who hates to shop!

I am making a Christmas scarf for my MIL this morning, it's gorgeous cashmere yarn, but hard to think of needing it right now.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Celene...you need to get to know Ric a little better....he's never happier than when he has a harem around him.....am I right or what?

Chele, you're a better woman than I am....I just couldn't make myself work outside yesterday. I read and ran an errand with Bertie, then had a beer with her. We did get that rain, but only a smidge just over 1/4 inch. However, anything Mother Nature gives us is better than nothing!

Thanks Marcy....

Bonnie, hope you're feeling better today.

Okay, time to walk the garden!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

It's official...

Please come here to see your invitation!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1123008/

Ric can never get enough estrogen ROFLLLL
most dog skin problems are due to the food they eat.
Corn is number one allergy for dogs.
welp time to get a move on
have a great day !

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
I spent the day at the Sista's Reunion.... CAN'T GET MORE Estrogen than that!

Celene, Blue Ash is about 20 minutes from here.
Tell your friend we are 2 miles from Riverbend/Coney, 2 miles from the old Beechmont Mall, 300 yards from Mt Washington.
Not a big garden for non-gardeners.
But the Futon Swing is comfy and I'll program whatever music they like....lol!

Ric

Columbus, OH

Then we were pretty close...we had lunch at a little Italian place, Ferrari's. And we saw the Maserati dealership that is next door to a dollar store.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yep you were about 15 minutes from where I work in Milford.
The easiest route to us is off 275 but we go 71 as it's closer/faster.
We go thru Blue Ash on our way to Joyce's.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I like Blue Ash...I think it's pretty there...

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

We got .71 inches of rain here yesterday (thank you, new weatherstation, for reporting). And no, Chelle, I didn't go to Highland County, he came down to Cincinnati. But I am gooing to come up this fall--- after the WCTU re-creation-- and spend some time at the courthouse & the library & the cemeteries. I'm still trying to nail down who Jacob Irons' parents were. Then it'll be back to Kentucky for the great George Washington Johnson search.
I know, I know, my life is just TOO exciting!

Sue, that Lucy is the cutest critter since Lady & the Tramp.

Sorry for all those with the summer colds. Yuck. I had the summer flu at the beginning of July & couldn't eat for 2 weeks. I did lose eight pounds but that's a hard way to do it!

Celene, I know Columbus has some fine knitting shops, but next time you come down to visit the sharks-- or the people-- let me know: I have a knitting & needlepoint store that is fantastic! (One More Stitch on Madison, across the street from St. Francis de Sales for those in Cincy-- Brenda is the shop owner & resident expert).

Pat

Thank Pat for the kind words on Lucy. I don't know who is training who anymore ?
got some T-storms most of the day. some rain .

Well, it has been a long and mostly miserable day. went to church, and then out to eat, and home, where I promptly camped on the couch, and dozed on and off for about 3 hours. Still feel rotten, and instead of sinus, I think it is a full blown cold, with coughing and showing signs of moving to the chest. I always have a couple of bouts of bronchitis, so guess I am due.

I have a mostly easy day for tomorrow, and other than some laundry and finishing some peach preserves, I will just take it easy.

Marcy, waiting to hear about the garden tour. You feeling any better?

Pat, what part of Ky will you be visiting? If you are in north central, give me a call, I could treat you to a meal or a cup of coffee.

We had another shower this afternoon. Not much rain, but it did cool us off a bit, before it got hot again. I hope my weather guy tells me that we are in for some cooler temperatures soon.

Columbus, OH

I would love to check out any yarn shops, always adding to my stash.

Bonnie do take care of your self
i m off to bed
this puppy is killing me !
its like having triplets !

Columbus, OH

They are a handful, eh? I hand-raised Tess's litter, so I had six hand-fed large breed puppies. I love them, but I was glad when they were gone.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi all.
Sorry you got the crud too Bonnie! No...can't say I feel much better. And guess mine is a bad cold or sinus infection..or both. Blowing, snottin', coughing, etc. Head feels two times it's normal size...that sort of thing.
Waiting on the ladies to get here...and leave...LOL!!
They will just have to accept the fact this is August..and many things go to seed, and wind down this time of year. It is...what it is.
As my daughter says...I am soooo over it! LOL!
Hope you all have a great day...looks to be a beautiful one here. Air is OFF, and windows OPEN!! Woohooo!!!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, Marcy, I'm glad you are having such a pretty day for the tour. Bertie just brought a couple ladies over and I was potting up some turtlehead.....got rid of one of em! I told them the same thing.... remember, it's August! The hostas are starting to look really junky. If I cut off all the icky leaves, the plant will be gone.....sigh....

Okay...back at it. Probably having about 50 people here on Sunday for DM's 90th birthday party. Most will be family, but there will be some not related, too. Just praying for decent weather at this point.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I finally got a couple of flower pictures. Here's the hydrangea I got from the Tennessee nursery. It's called a Starburst, & I think it may be a hydrangea arborescens.

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

And here's one that I can't remeber the name of. Tokyo rose? All I know is that it's purty!

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

And here's a flowerhead from the Little Lamb that I put next to some black-eyed susans to give an idea of its size. This one's going inside to dry & look pretty. I wonder if I could get a Christmas tree's worth...we used to put baby's breath on the tree, but that got a little pricey.

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Here's how big the "little" Little Lamb is. I guess I'll have to trim it once it reaches the gutters.

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Gosh, my garden really looks like trash!
Here's an echinacea that I may pull out because I worry about the weird growth on the top of some of the blooms.

Thumbnail by goshsmom
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

The garden "walk" went really well, I thought. They thought everything was beautiful..lol. I think...most of them don't really have very large gardens...so it was amazing to them how much was here. 3 or 4 of them are Master Gardeners, and when I told them I had been the very first master gardener in Darke Co., they acted like I was a celebrity..hahaha!! I assured them I was NOT!!
Anyway...it was a good time, and I believe they enjoyed it, as did I. It helped that I did not stress about it!
Joyce, did you know...if you DO cut back all those hostas at the end of this month, they will be twice as big next year? Gotta pay to play...remember?
Pat...love all your hydrangeas too! That one coneflower, I would take to a garden center and ask them what is going on with it? You know..there is a coneflower called Razz ma tazz...not sure on that spelling, and it has a top knot on it similar to that growth on yours. I'm wondering if there is a connection?? I don't know.

I was invited to join their new garden club, and since it is in our town, and through our library, think I will do that. Helps that I do know a couple of the women there too. Maybe we can get something good going!!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Sounds like lots of fun, Marcy.

I don't think I have the heart to cut my hostas back at the end of August. Do you do that? Does anyone else here do that? It surely would make my shade garden and mini hosta bed look sick....

What a pleasant day it was! Got lots of little clumps of clover up and a couple of things potted up and a couple things planted.

Made a meatloaf for dinner and Bill asked a friend to join him for meatloaf sammys. They both gave lots of compliments. I put a pkg. of roasted tomato sauce in it and it did give it a wonderful flavor.

Marcy glad the tour went well. I didn't know you were a Master Gardener ? wow.
Cookie have fun with the family ! boy i bet there will be lots of good food.
Pay them flowers look nice. The funny s tuff on the coneflowers do look s trange ?
puppy is doing well. I think she has me trained already !
Celene i couldn't imagine 6 large breed pups around my house ! yikes. You are woman ! wow.
got lots dug up and replanted. Sprayed some area's .
still have huge hosta in the back of the RTV. for tomorrow to put them in there temp spot.

Marcy, glad to hear that the tour went well. I am glad that you didn't get all stressed out about it, since it is so late in the year, surely they know that everything is not looking it's best.

I don't do anything to my hostas. I let them die back naturally when fall comes. However, I dare not cut them back if it makes them bigger. I have many that need dividing. I had a planter than blew off the deck over the weekend, and I had to go into a group of hostas to locate it. I am not kidding, I waded in there up to my waist in hosta leaves, and had trouble finding the planter which is about 2 feet long, 10 inches wide and about 8 inches tall. One day if I disappear, tell someone to look out back by the pool in the hostal patch!! DH has dug up some and has planted them all around the pool, and I still have too many. Anybody want to come help themselves to them?

Pat pretty plants. I am assuming that most of them are hydrangeas? The cone flowers look strange. Maybe it is some kind of fungus that caused the abnormality. If something hit them in bud stage, it could have caused the malformation. If you want to try a little experiment, save a seed head of the strange ones, and plant it someplace separate from the others next year and see if it looks normal or strange. That would tell you whether it is a genetic thing or something that hit the bud.

Sue, just don't let the puppy get by with anything that you don't want to become a habit. They really can try to charm you to get their way, so be firm and have a happy, healthy, obedient dog!!

Didn't do much today, this head cold/sinus thing is kicking my butt. It was such a nice day, and sorry to say I didn't feel much like doing anything. Did pull a few weeds, and straighten up some things, but nothing major accomplished. I want the cool weather here when I start moving some plants this fall.

how do you get a puppy to walk on the leash. She just sits and looks at me. Then i drag her and she don't move ?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.