August Weather - Dog Days & Fairs

(Zone 7a)

My phone did that once. It didn't go through nearly as much as your's but it was pretty bad. I yanked the battery and SIM immediately and used a towel to gather all the moisture I could, then I switched to a paper towel. I left it off for 3 days before putting the battery back, squinting my eyes and hoping for the best. It worked and so did the phone for another year and a half.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2010 6:03 AM

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

76° Heavy rain w/thunder and lightning yesterday the gauge stands at 2 & 4/10 in.

Details for Friday, August 06
Sun and clouds mixed. Hot. High 92F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Evening: Some clouds. Low 66F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Pepper: I have never seen a "toothache plant" before. Now I know why they call them that! Ouch! LOL
Darius: thanks for that link about how to dry out a cell phone. I'll be prepared if that ever happens to my phone.
Dyson: Hey! you got some rain in the new guage!

waving to the rest of you ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cooler today if you can call the low 90's "cooler" LOL but, hey, it beats 105F!! By Tuesday they are saying we will be back up to 100F. We got another short rain shower last night around 10 p.m. It is still overcast out there which is a welcome relief from the intense heat we have had lately!
# Today: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Humid. High 91F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
# Tonight: Isolated thunderstorms this evening. Skies will become partly cloudy after midnight. Low 71F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Foggy this morning, but the low was below 70 for the first time in several days. The humidity is supposed to be more tolerable for the next couple of days, even though temps will climb back into the 90s by Sunday. I'll take it.

noonamah, Australia

The temperature has plummeted here, the coldest morning since early winter, a couple of months ago. It got down to 12.6C (54.7F) at about 4:00 am but back up to 18.0C (64.4F) just before dawn. Yesterday's maximum was 33.5C (92.3F)

My phone line is down now (and internet), using a friends computer for this. You never realise how much you're dependent on this modern technology until it goes down. So no photos for this post.

Tomorrow I head down south to Alice Springs for a few week. Since I'll be travelling around most of the time there won't be much chance to get online any way. Hope to get some good photos, they've had unseasonal rain and they say the desert is a blaze of wildflowers.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Tropic it's fun to see the pictures from down there.

Funny to hear of 'Antarctic Blasts'.....
Hard to imagine being that close to SE Asia and still getting those....

Our weather broke finally.
No rain but we will be seeing lows in the low 60's maybe even the 50's.
Highs though will still be 90 or above.

Ric

(Zone 7a)

Tropic, we're going to miss you while you're gone. I've been enjoying your tales and pics.

I baked those squash in butter and we had them with dinner tonight. They were delicious!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

68°F Feels Like: 68° High 86°
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 63°
Pressure: 29.94 in
Visibility: 10.0 mi
Sunrise Information: Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 18 min
Through 11 am: Rain showers developing by mid-morning. Partly cloudy with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the low 70s. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 55%.

Keeping busy with the boys. We got the oldest a bike with training wheels. Poor kid had sand roads at the farm. He's really enjoying a new found freedom riding with Grandpa all over town. I walk with the youngest on his small bike. We all are geting "good exercise,'' as the oldest says with enthusiasm!

Marsue, not a cresent nor a painted lady, but haven't figured it out yet. I hope someone does!

Tropic, your butterfly is beautiful!!

Celia, lovely sunrise! It's nice to see the colors again in the morning! Betty Boop is looking good! I love that about the robin, in your picture!

Peper, nice little toothache, LOL!

Dyson, I love it that you're finally getting rain. I hope it's having a chance to soak in.

Tropic, losing power never lets me forget how dependent we are! I look forward to all the new photos of your area!! Have a good time!!

Ric, the cool mornings make me sleep in :o)

Celia, I found four of my squash rotted on the bottom. Maybe no squash at all for me :o(

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Cool here this morning--down to 61 for the first time in almost a month. Here's the red-spotted purple that followed me inside yesterday.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Wondering who actually owned the Mountain I wanted to hike - I did some research on the counties GIS site -

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

And

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

So then I checked the states DCR site and found -

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

The welcome note -

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

And the Rules -

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Since this is an established trail system - guess I am going hiking tomorrow.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sounds like the rules at most parks and reserves here.
Glad to hear it's locked up and it appears will never be developed.

Cool here and 60° when I got up.
Looks like low 60's and high 90's for the week.

Well as it's my first 'weekend off' in 15 months we're doing NOTHING!
Well OK we will be puttering around but no Projects....LOL!

Ric

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

OOOOps forgot the weather - currently 78° - had a short shower yesterday - gauge is at 2 & 6/10 in.

Details for Saturday, August 07
Plentiful sunshine. High 89F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph.
Evening: Mainly clear skies. Low 66F. Winds light and variable.

Link to Land scope

http://www.landscope.org/map/?title=

This message was edited Aug 7, 2010 10:01 AM

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Tropic: have a good vacation--we'll look forward to your photos!
Ric: hope you are enjoying your first week-end off! LOL
Sunfarm: nice butterfly pic.
Celia: glad you enjoyed the squash--sounds yummy!
BP: sorry about your squash :-(( Have a good week-end with the boys!
Dyson: hope you enjoyed your hike and that the temp wasn't too high.

# Today: Partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms possible. High near 95F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: A stray thunderstorm is possible through the evening. A few clouds. Low 73F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph.
No rain here today. I will need to get outside and mow the lawn later this evening.

I took some pics of my new shade garden this morning. It is doing well in spite of the heat and lack of rain but then I have been watering it regularly.
This is a "before" pic taken last fall.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This is approximately the same view, taken today.

Thumbnail by marsue
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot but in the shade it's not too bad.

My phone survived the toilet. It's working fine I just need to get the screen cover removed so the screen can dry out.

Went and saw Brooks and Dunn last night. We were in nosebleed way up in the top section of the arena but it was still a decent spot considering where we were. LOL. It was a great show and we enjoyed it. Gary Allan is touring with them too and I hope to go see him again. He was pretty good.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Well, we headed off for market this morning. Lightning in the western sky. We got all set up & then it started sprinkling. Then it rained harder & harder. Kept it up until about 9:30. Quit raining & soon sun was out. We were so busy then we could hardly keep up. Still sold close to what we did last week.
Got home rain gauge showed 6 tenths, so it was nice rain & we can always use it.

Trying to find a nice used pickup. Had one lined up to look at, then the owner disclosed the rust & dents. So am not going to look.
A dealer about 120 miles from here has a real nice one shown online. I will check it out on Monday.

Ric, really happy to see you are back to work. How come these companies can't see the value in an employee.

Bernie

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Bernie their first order of business was to keep the true machinists.
And I can see their point. They were afraid of loosing them.
Course w/ the economy tanking around here that wasn't an issue.

But for some reason they forgot support when things started picking up.
They realize now, well our Plant Manager did, that I actually save them money.
I get materials to the work stations before it's needed, so no down time, and people don't need to be pulled off billable projects.
Some of my work can be billed to jobs, so it offsets the extra amount they are paying me over the last guy who just half cleaned at best.
If I offset it enough he'll push for more money.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi guys! Here are some pics from my garden. Still very hot here.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Hollyhock

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Portulaca

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Hosta is blooming !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

This is a baby palm I brought from Switzerland and he is doing just fine!!!!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Sunset at my place.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

A cloud at sunset.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Buck says Hi!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Closer!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Do you think these could be Magnolia grandiflora seeds?

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

72°F Feels Like: 72° High 92°
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 69°
Pressure: 29.84 in
Visibility: 6.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 50 min
Through 11am: Some increase in clouds with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the mid 70s. Partly cloudy. Hot and humid. High 92F.
Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph.

Sunfarm, what a cool picture of your new house pet :o) They are such a pretty butterfly!

Dyson, I'm glad you will finally be able to hike. It sounds like a really neat place and we expect a lot of pictures. Is Sue going with you? Glad to see you are still getting some rain. Col! I bookmarked your link. Sadly I see nothing in Iowa.

Ric, I'll bet you were ready for that weekend anyway!

Marsue, your shade garden is lovely! I like filling in a new bed! I just love the little boots in front!

Pepper, I'm glad your phone survived. Poor thing! I'm glad you had a good concert despite the height :o) Fresh new Zinnia!

Bernie, I'm glad no one is tired of going to Market yet and that was anice rain!

Ric, we all know what an asset you are! I'll bet your Boss was very happy to be able to call you back!

Adina, lovely flower pictures, but when I saw the baby palm I really had to smile! Maybe it will be able to grace a new home if you are able to sell and buy a new one!

Hi Buck! You are a handsome guy! Hmmm on the seeds :o)

Yesterday was gorgeous!! We took the boys to the Swinging Bridge in Columbus Junction and they loved it! Then we went to a park and ate at Dairy Queen. It was a good day! After we got home it was bike riding time. We were barely here and the Tv was barely on!

Braving the bridge :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Adina, beautiful pictures, as usual.
I found another "friend" on the outside of the house yesterday and have a partial identification on the bug ID forum already. Here's a picture of an underwing moth.
Weather was great here yesterday, though I think I got a few chiggers when I went to the blackberry patch. 60 degree low this morning, with high still in the 80s forecast, though heat and humidity will climb back to uncomfortable levels by tomorrow.
Mau, your shade garden is filling in well. I need to do something with the shady area where the old "meathouse" was torn down. It is visible from the kitchen window, so I'd like to have something attractive there.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Pepper: glad you enjoyed the Brooks and Dunn show. Pretty flower--looks like a zinnia.
Bernie: glad you had another good day at the market in spite of the rain. Hope you find a good pickup truck! (at a good price).
Ric: it's nice when one's employer learns to appreciate good employees! :o)) Good luck with the raise!
Adina: love your photos, especially the pretty flowers. Is that blue one a morning glory? Say "Hi" to Buck. :o))
BP: sounds like a good time was had by all. Topping it off at Dairy Queen was a good way to end the trip! Was the swinging bridge scary for the boys? LOL
Sunfarm: I am looking forward to my shade plants getting bigger next season. I have a lot of hostas that are growing nicely in there but they are still somewhat small. I had a petasite but something has happened to it--the poor thing has died and I don't know why. I also have one EE that seems to have died. It can't be from lack of moisture because I have been keeping that bed well watered. Maybe I have watered them too much! :o(( Nice moth photo. Let us know when you find out what it is.
By the way, if you can find some Flowers of Sulphur at your local pharmacy (it comes in powder form) try rubbing some of it around your ankles and on the other parts of your body where your clothing fits tightly. That should keep the crawling critters off of you.

We had a nice shower this morning starting about 6:;30 a.m. and lasting for about 45 minutes. :o)) Hopefully, I won't have to water any this week!
# Today: Partly cloudy with a slight chance of thunderstorms. Humid. Heat index near 110F. High 96F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms possible. Humid. Low 76F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%.

I took this photo this morning. It was raining and yet the sun was still shining behind the big oak tree. It started raining harder right after I took this pic and the clouds closed in and obscured the sun.

Thumbnail by marsue
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

78° Have not checked the gauge - should be no change

Details for Sunday, August 08
A mix of clouds and sun. High 88F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.
Evening: Some clouds this evening will give way to mainly clear skies overnight. Low 68F. Winds light and variable.

Still have not made the hike - ended up doing a network job yesterday, profitable, but I am very tired. Maybe next Friday will be in better shape for it. I will remember the camera.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I am way, way, way behind, though I have been seeing most of you at the other web site. As always, Pepper and Adina have great flowers!

We have fairs all over the place (time-wise), probably because the summer is long and can be awful hot in some places. We went to the San Diego County Fair in June. The Orange County Fair was in July, though we didn't go this year. The Ventura County Fair is going on now and we hope to go this week. The L.A. County Fair is in September. We haven't gone to that one in a long time because the entrance fee has gotten a bit steep ($17, plus parking, plus you gotta eat), but it is $12 on weekdays, so we might go if we can work that out. They say that it is the biggest county fair in the U.S., but they base bigness on the number of people attending, not the area or number of exhibits. The Riverside County Fair is in February. It's out in the desert. We went once in conjunction with a longer vacation, but it's a small fair. I think the CA state fair is right around Labor Day. The AZ state fair is in October. We've never been to either of those.

Mau, what it the butterfly place that you reported to? Last year or the year before I found a queen caterpillar in my yard and those are not "supposed" to breed here and I think that someone should know.

It continues to be unseasonably non-infernal. ("Cool" would not be the correct choice of words. It still gets up into the 80s.)

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 9:51 AM PDT on August 08, 2010
65 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 53 °F
Wind: Calm

This is the pond at Nicholas Flat. You would call this a farm pond, that is, it isn't natural. Like every square inch of land around here, this used to be a ranch, though I know nothing of its specific history.

Thumbnail by Kelli
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

High of 97 with heat index at 108. Winds out of south at 10 mph with gusts up to 18 mph. Now at 97 wih heat index of 105.

I was out at Powell Gardens this afternoon volunteering for the Butterfly Festival. I worked inside the conservatory where we had the butterflys and the humidity was at 100%. Very hot in there today. Found out today too that our newest butterfly there is the Atlas Moth. It hasn't hatched yet but should this week. The cocoons are bigger than my hand!! They came from China and everyone is looking forwards to them hatching.

I go back with my family next Sunday so I will get pictures of the moths themselves. They will all be hatched by then.

More Zinnas blooming.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Here's what I got in an e-mail from a moth expert I found on Google once I had determined that the moth is an "underwing": My guesses would be either Catocala amestris or Catocala muliercula, primarily based on shape of postmedian line and large, open, pork chop-shaped reniform spot. Sometimes they are difficult to determine even when hind wings are in view.
Thanks for thinking of me. My Kentucky Catocala page is at
http://www..silkmoths.bizland.com/Kentuckycatocala.htm

This guy is way ahead of me! I am amazed at the variety of these creatures. I hope to spot it again as the hind wings are very colorful and should be a key to the identification. If I had known it was hiding such colorful secrets, I might have tried to disturb it to catch a glimpse.

I think today was the best for weather, as we are going to get back into the heat and humidity in the coming days. It was 87, but still low dewpoints.

(Zone 7a)

85º yesterday, 92º today and 88º for tomorrow with a chance of thunder showers.

I got one plant on sale at Lowe's today. This mini rose is from the Kordana Series 'Barby'.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2010 7:12 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.