August Weather - Dog Days & Fairs

(Zone 7a)

Oh, my! A peach basket o'plenty! My mouth is watering, EB!!!

90º today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Maybe Dyson's Sock Sucking Monkeys can help you eat them e_b.....

FINALLY we got about an inch of rain here at home yesterday.
Probably 2" at work... hard to tell when it's horizontal.

Ric

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Fog. Near zero visibility in dense fog. Use extreme caution.
Temperature: 73°F Feels Like: 73° High 94F Heat index near 105F
Dew Point: 72°
Pressure: 29.86 in
Visibility :0 mi 0.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 28 min
Through 11am: Low clouds, fog and poor visibility conditions will improve around late morning. Rapidly decreasing clouds with temperatures warming into the mid to upper 80s. Abundant sunshine. Hot and humid. Winds light and variable.

DH held a flashlight up in the fog. It's almost magical to see the water droplets dance in the light. Farther up the beam it was actually blowing over the roof like a mini rainstorm. Hold a flashlight up any summer night and see the dirt that is always floating thru the air. We are breathing dirt daily. Quit smoking and give your lungs a chance!

Crissy, I had to smile over ''sticking your Luna to the wall'' like it was gum! At least you saved it :o) I haven't seen one here for years, and those we did have, seemed to have hatched with a damaged wing. So sad, they are so neat to see.

Celia, eewwww! Crickets are almost as bad! I hate the Aster Yellows. Wow, super magic camera button! That is beautiful!

Marsue, when I see a butterfly go up over the truck, I hope it went over alive. I hate to murder them too! Imagine that. A weather guy who made a mistake. I'm glad you had a good rain! (I think BP, because we use real names on the other place. I still use some Dave names here when no one signs their real name. I do like BP, but if someone likes to use my real name that's ok too :o)

Dyson, let's be racking up the rain for you! Is it helping your garden or is yours a lost cause like mine? Altho, the eggplant are doing well and the cabbage hasn't split :o)

Sunfarm, he's gorgeous! I did look at some of the sootywings, but they showed them browner, and this one is black.

Pepper, it gets depressing having to water like that. But they are so cute when they are ''babies'' :o)

Early, it's hot and wet here but I'll take that over cold or dry! Thanks, I've been stalking the butterflies and standing real still :o) I've never seen a prettier basket of heirloom tomatoes!! No blight spots or cracks!! I could just pop one of those little ones in my mouth! She's pretty.....delicious looking :o)

Ric, ROTFL!! Why do I think we haven't seen the last of these monkeys!! Glad you got rain too!

The fog is lifting a bit. It's grocery day and most likely will be too hot later to do a thing outside. I've been enjoying watermelon and muskmelons :o)

I've been listening to music on Youtube and now I go to bed with songs running thru my head :o) Heroes by David Bowie, Let Me Ride by REO Speedwagon, I'm No Angel by Greg Allman and Angry Eyes by Loggins and Messina.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Afternoon thunderstorms missed us again; another excessive heat advisory on for today. We need a break. This tawny emperor came onto my porch to visit yesterday.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

92° and hot already! We had so many beautiful spider webs on EVERYTHING this morning. Mentally I was taking pictures.

Sunfarm, it's too bad the rain keeps missing you. We've had so much that the plant roots are close to the surface. No rain and they think they're stressed even tho we just got 2''

The neighbor's cat grabbed this guy from under my flowers. I got up to see and he kind of rolled over on it. I picked him up and he didn't have any puncture wounds, but was very quiet. I tried to sit him on a small apple branch and he held on, but started to go over head first. THAT wasn't going to work! We just sat in the andirondack chair till he flew out of my hand on his own.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 7a)

Looks like it lost a few feathers and sounds like it was just disoriented for a minute. So glad it's okay.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

That is one happy little house sparrow. You can almost see the smile on his face.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

93°

Details for Thursday, August 12 (Evening)
Evening: Scattered thunderstorms early, then becoming clear after midnight. Humid. Low 71F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Gauge at 3.5 in still hotter than SSM, supposed to have a cooling trend for the next week - it will be a relief.

Thumbnail by Dyson
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We have had 27 days, so far, of declared Heat Emergency.
This one will last until Sunday.
Last year we had 4.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

HOT AND HOT!!! Relief doesn't come til Saturday.

Picked this one and another one the other day. Cut them up today.

Thumbnail by pepper23

I don't know how many Heat Warnings we've had here but it's more than I ever remember having.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It was hot here too, but I did pull weeds in the shade. It's 86* at 8:00 pm. Thank goodness we will be around 80* next week. I'm wanting to get out and pull more weeds so I can displace more mosquitos.

Those SSM's are cracking me up!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, that looks good!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Still hot here. Mankato heat index was 101º when we pulled in to set up. Light wind from the south helped some.
Cold front coming in tonight. So far brought some nasty storms in some areas.
High tomorrow "only" 85º.
We'll see.
Crowd was small today because of the heat, I am sure.
Saturday is supposed to be only 80º for a high. Sounds good.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Partly Cloudy
Temperature: 77°F Feels Like: 77° High 92F
Details: Locations nearby are reporting thunderstorms. That would be us. We had a shower pop up.
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 73°
Pressure: 29.75 in
Visibility :9.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 4 min
Through 11am: Partly cloudy with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the upper 70s. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.
Some sunshine with a thunderstorm or two possible this afternoon. A few storms may be severe. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Bernie, this is when you need to sell watermelon. (I travel for one :o) We too are to cool down to the 80's by next week.

I'm still hearing a bit of thunder, but no more rain yet.

My Cardinal Flower really re-seeded these last few years. For years I struggled to keep a few alive and now BOOM!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We have very poor watermelon this year. Small & late. Still not ripe.

Very dark. Most of the state got heavy rain overnight. Not us. Lots of thunder.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Bernie, I hope the eggs you are selling are not precooked!
We had 0.03" of rain from an isolated thundershower about suppertime, but that is all the rain we have had this month so far. Another 95 degree day yesterday and expect about the same today and tomorrow. At least the grass growth has slowed down.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

84° Been cloudy all day

Details for Friday, August 13
Partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms possible. High 88F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
Evening: Isolated thunderstorms during the evening. Cloudy skies after midnight. Humid. Low 71F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

X marks the spot (yea the red one)

KUDZU - in MY Garden! Mine! Have to find the guy that rented the sil the bobcat last month - and wrap him in vines, I am not happy. sil = son in law. Dern as if the sock sucking monkeys were not enough.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2010 2:50 PM

Thumbnail by Dyson
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

On another forum someone was looking for Kudzu seeds!
I saw the stuff in KY. Glad it can't survive here!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Joplin Regional Airport
Lat: 37.18 Lon: -94.5 Elev: 982
Last Update on Aug 13, 3:53 pm CDT

Fair

101 °F
(38 °C)
Humidity: 34 %
Wind Speed: S 14 G 20 MPH
Barometer: 29.73" (1005.0 mb)
Dewpoint: 68 °F (20 °C)
Heat Index: 107 °F (42 °C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

I hopeful it rain tomorrow (maybe) if not then stay inside for rest of my life! lol....

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Rusty - do not stay in forever - who would care 4 your outdoor plants?

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I do my outdoor plants water early am and by the time at 7:30 am it hit up to 80* that I get easy sweat alot...

I sicerely hope I never see Kudz here. Bindweed is bad enough along with non native honeysuckle.

Current temp: 98
Mostly Sunny
Heat Index: 103
Humidity: 42%
Winds: S 16mph
Gusts: 23 mph
Cloud Cover: 18%

Today's High: 102
Heat Index: 108

Storms headed our way. Different areas have reported 90 mph winds with some of the storms. We figure at this rate there won't be any trees left if it keeps up.

My 2 Dwarf Willow Bushes. I need to move the laundry hose over to them so they will get some water.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I got good rain this early about 3 am today and I don't have to water my outside plants!....
It's now 74*....

The weather is said:

Today: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1pm. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 99. Heat index values as high as 107. South wind between 8 and 10 mph.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluuu! We've had some rain this week, but ot nearly enough! At the moment it's 75° & rather cloudy. I tried to watch the meteor shower last night...found the big dipper, then the clouds started rolling in ...oh, well.
Our state fair started yesterday...the garden club (Lewisburg) always has a wonderfully huge display. I may have to brave the heat just to get some pics.

Dyson! Kudzu? Oh NO! Now you're gonna have to get a goat or 2! I've been told they'll eat all the 'invasives' & everything else! LOL! Are you taking your hike this week end?
Pepper, Love the Willow! I had no idea there was such a thing as a dwarf! Pretty Neat!
Rusty, Yeah! you get some much needed rain! Gee, and it's cooled down! Now lets hope it stays that way! :D

BBL

Sister Datura is getting ready to open! :D

Thumbnail by music2keep
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Was going to hike today - then had to use the camera batteries in the remote, then planned to remove kudzu from the garden this morning. awoke to a steady downpour. Looking at the radar it will quit soon if there is any cell movement at all.

Need to get batteries and put them on charge. Hopefully it will stop raining and I'll be able to eradicate the kudzu.

73°

Details for Saturday, August 14
Cloudy this morning. Scattered thunderstorms developing this afternoon. Humid. High 84F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Evening: Partly cloudy with a slight chance of thunderstorms. Humid. Low around 70F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%.

Thumbnail by Dyson
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Good luck getting rid of the kudzu; I've noticed it seems to move farther north almost every year. I fought it in Georgia years ago and not it is common is some areas of Kentucky where it never lived before. Goats might be a temporary solution, but it travels underground, so you have to get the roots.
Supposedly it has value as a treatment for alcoholism, though that's the only good thing I have heard about it.

We are still under heat advisories for today at least, though weather should cool slightly next week. 0.01" of rain in the gauge this morning after isolated shower yesterday afternoon just added to the humidity.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Stopped raining, still to wet too do anything outside gray, cool.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Got new batteries, charged them and got the camera working again.

I swear this patch of kudzu doubled in size over night

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Took about an hour of cutting and digging - pretty sure I got it all in the bag.

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Die Devil Weed!

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

IMPORTANT Safety note - When igniting your Kudzu use charcoal lighter or kerosene. I used gasoline and singed all the hair off my right arm.

After switching to charcoal lighter and going through a large bottle of same -

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Both the sites (where it was pulled and where it was burned) will be monitored closely.

72°, sunny, clear

Good job, Dyson.

Could get to about 100F tomorrow

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on August 14, 2010
89 °F
Clear
Humidity: 26%
Dew Point: 50 °F
Wind: 9 mph from the SE

barn built by a Victorian millionaire for his prize race horses

Thumbnail by Kelli

The inside is all panelling. (I wonder what this guy's house was like?)

Thumbnail by Kelli
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Kelli, some of the barns in the Bluegrass are about as fancy. As a friend of mine used to say, "It's amazing what you can do if your are handy with money."
Line of storms came through about 7:10 and we got 1.22" of rain in about an hour and a half. At least it didn't wash out our driveway. Wish we'd had it distributed over the past couple of weeks.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

De Plane! De Plane!
Well OK that was the house but this is by far our favorite structure in L.A.!
The interior IS amazing and if you run your hands over the wood the workmanship is perfect!

Dyson next time...paper bags and no accelerant ....

We had a nice cooling rain rumble through.
Temps went from 96°/107° to a current 76°.
It feels wonderful outside!
We're seriously flushing out the house....lol!

Ric

Quoting:
Well OK that was the house

That was merely the guest house, which he built for his fourth wife. He lived up around San Francisco somewhere.

Speaking of favorite buildings in L.A., have you ever been to Gamble House?

This message was edited Aug 14, 2010 6:21 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It was on our must visit list as Procter & Gamble's base is here in Cincy.
(In fact the 'Dolly Parton' Towers, their corp headquarters, are very much a part of our cityscape.)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wintermute23/90711528/
We went to it but didn't take the inside tour as it was closed that day.
Amazing little Winter Home eh?!
Glad to see it's been so lovingly taken care of!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Good idea on the paper bag Ric but without the accelerant, it never would have burned!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.