August Weather - Dog Days & Fairs

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This is the Standridge ranch about 10 miles north of Clinton, AR. The house you see in this photo is on a hill overlooking a beautiful valley. You can tell from the color of the grass how dry it has been here this summer--not to mention HOT!!

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

These are some of the outbuildings on the Standridge ranch--just below the "big house".
Whoops, I forgot the photo and didn't notice until I had posted my series of photos. LOL Sorry about that!

This message was edited Aug 3, 2010 6:48 PM

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

If you want to buy antiques, this is the place to do it. It is in Botkinburg, AR. This is just one of about 5 or 6 buildings that they have which are stuffed full of gorgeous and expensive antiques. These people buy antiques from all over the U.S. and even the world. I was trying to get a photo of their big sign but there was traffic behind me and I was lucky to get this shot but the sign would be just to the right out of view.

Thumbnail by marsue
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This site keeps me busy enough. Too bad Dave broke up this good group with that other site.
91º was the high at the market. Did have a bit of breeze.
Market was brisk again.

Home now & did a bit of shop work. We are taking a coup;e of cabinets & installing them in the morning.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This is going down the hill into Clinton, AR. I stopped at the McDonald's there to get some breakfast only to find out that the entire town was out of water due to a broken pump!! They had been out for 2 days and weren't expected to have their city water restored until Wednesday. The city was having to haul water in from other places for their citizens. I imagine every bit of bottled water that was available in the area had already been sold!

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I know what you mean, Bernie. Keeping up with both sites is a chore at times!

This is another farm about 20 miles south of Clinton. This one is on Gravesville Cutoff road right after you turn off Hwy 65 just south of Bee Branch, AR. (Don't you just love the names of our little towns--Botkinburg, Bee Branch, etc.)

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

and one more--this is just before you come into Quitman, AR

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This is the photo of the outbuildings at the Standridge ranch which I forgot to post above.

Thumbnail by marsue
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Very hot today with a high of at least 100. Temp right now is around 95. Will only get down to mid to high 80s for lows.

Hitting end of bloom cycle is rudibeckia and coneflower with moon carrot in background and a coreoptis bloom in under the rudibeckias and coneflowers.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Settling in at work.
Once I get my sleep patterns back down it should go well.

We shipped 3 wind turbine gear boxes today.
14,000 pounds each.
I ran the crane and moved them through the plant.
I still have 'the touch' lol!
Our other shipping guy loaded them w/ the forklift.
I haven't 'checked out' on that one yet.
It will take a few weeks.
Once I get comfortable w/ it I'll do all the loading and unloading.

Did the HR stuff at our main plant this afternoon.
The Company President stopped in and Welcomed me back.
It took me being gone for him to realize what all I'd been doing....lol!

Mau take Care in that heat!!!!!!!
Ric

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Don't worry, Ric. The most I am outside these days is just long enough to take Friday out to do his "business".

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

72°F Feels Like: 72°
High 84°
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 70°
Pressure: 29.89 in
Visibility: 7.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 4 min
Through 12 pm: A few scattered showers and thunderstorms. Cloudy with temperatures rising towards the low 80s. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Rainfall 0.65 in (est.)

Remember when I said if you wash the screens you get wind? We had one heck of a thunder boomer come thru last night. I got up at 3:00 am just to watch the lightning flash after the weather radio said it was coming. The wind came in from the southwest, so it caught windows on both sides! After I went back to bed we had three crashes overhead. I just prayed no-one in town was going to have a house fire.

Bernie, I was walking across the road the other day and I noticed how much heat comes off our chip/seal. I was glad to get back on the cool grass. I can absolutely feel your heat! (Invest in colorful runner rugs to go the length of your tables :o) It is hard to keep up in both places, and not repeat news. I guess an afternoon weather report can go over there :o)

Celia, ROTFL! (DH took that picture.)

Rusty, that is hot! We haven't broken the mid 90's yet.

Oh Marsue, that is very hot!! You sure did come home to hotter!!

Joey, thanks, I love it when the flowers wink or wave. Love the color too!

Don knows I didn't miss his Birthday!

Mau, you got very lovely shots of the scenery! It's nice to see wide open spaces when it seems the world is filling up with cities. You're pretty good at taking them from moving vehicles too :o)

Pepper, we're having to sleep with the fan on most nights. Aren't Coneflowers sad when they fade? On a brighter note, the goldfinches have been hitting mine for a while now.

Ric, it sounds like you never left, and that's a good thing! Keep shipping out those turbines!

DH took this picture too. I love how the wings look like stained glass.

Thumbnail by billyporter
noonamah, Australia

Started off today with a minimum this morning of 18.1C (64.6F). Maximum this afternoon was 30.7C (87.3F). temperatures are dropping with a low pressure blocking a high pressure to our south. It's creating a 'wind-tunnel' effect and channelling cold air this way. I'll be glad when this Antarctic blast finishes. But late afternoon the wind completely died and it's been dead still ever since. I've a horrible feeling it's going to be difficult to get out of bed in the morning.

Okay, next thing, finally got all the stats worked out for month of July (our coldest winter month) at my house.

TEMPERATURE:
Highest maximum 35.6C (96.1F)
Lowest maximum 30.0C (86.0F)
Average Maximum 33.5C (92.3F)

Lowest minimum 15.9C (60.6F)
Highest Minimum 25.9C (78.6F)
Average minimum 20.5C (68.9F)

Average temp. for month 26.3C (79.3F)

Highest heat index (day) 40.2C (104.4F)
Lowest heat index (night) 16.3C (61.3F)
Average heat index 27.2C (81.0F)

HUMIDITY
Highest maximum daily humidity 99%
Average maximum daily humidity 85%

Lowest minimum daily humidity 25%
Average minimum daily humidity 39%
Average humidity for month 63%

Total rain for month 6.2mm (0.24 inches)

Cool Degree days 246.1
Heat Degree Days 0.8

I'll add another Goodenia photo, we have so many different species. But I like the butterfly and bird photos others have been showing. I'll drag out some of mine out later too.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

NOAA weather:

Today: Sunny and hot, with a high near 100. Heat index values as high as 103. Southwest wind between 9 and 13 mph.

Well, all of my tomatoes plant dried up and I still have peaches not ripe yet!

This message was edited Aug 4, 2010 8:42 AM

This message was edited Aug 4, 2010 8:43 AM

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

BP: not only am I the one who is taking the pictures but I'm doing the driving, too. (Don't tell anybody I admitted to that.) It is a wonder I am able to get any photos at all on my road trips! :o~~
Tropic: it is hard to realize that your winter low temp is 86F. I can't imagine what summer is like for you! The goodenia is a pretty flower--sort of like an orchid.

# Today: A good deal of sunshine. Very hot. --I'LL REPEAT THAT: VERY HOT!!!--Heat index near 115F. --IS THAT HOT OR WHAT?!!-- High 104F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Some passing clouds. Humid. Low 79F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Rusty, we crossed. It is hot all over the mid-west to the mid-south, isn't it?

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Yup! I watch early ABC news showing (3 am) west part get hotter then to east part too!

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Just back from monthly grocery shopping and it was already 86 by 10AM, and very humid. I shall stay in the rest of the day since the area is under an extreme heat advisory. This may be the hottest day of the year to date, but we may get some relief (but not much) with thunderstorms starting this afternoon and going through tomorrow.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well I JUST got outta Dodge in time.
Lights flickered at work as we were walking out.
As I got on the HWY it was coal black behind me and hailing.
Drove out of it into some serious gusts.
We almost couldn't see for all the leaved blowing around.

I'm 10 miles south. Sunny 98° H.I. 110° AT 4pm.

Ric

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Very hot and humid here too. A bit cloudy and a slight breeze in the evening.
Everyone take care!
Our neighbor found these snake eggs.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Ewwww!

Had a cool front come thru today so it's a bit cooler out. Temps in the mid 80s with heat index in low 90s. Humidity is around 72% but it doesn't feel too bad out. Temps will go up again though starting tomorrow.

Toothache plants blooming.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We still have a shot at rain in a few hours.
The high today was 98° and tied the record from 2002.
Tomorrow's high 86°!!!! Low 67°.
Looks like comfortable weekend temps.

Still lots to do at work so the days are going fairly fast.
Not as fast as Gardening but...LOL!

Ric

(Zone 7a)

We had some rain earlier in the day and, then this evening, more rain. It was a nice hard rain that dropped lots of water. Now, we won't have to water until the weekend.

What's wrong with this picture? Well...the CAR, not the actual picture.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

69°F Feels Like 69° High 86°
Wind: NW at 12 mph
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 66°
Pressure: 29.90 in
Visibility: 9.0 mi
Sunrise Information: Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 15 min
Through 12 pm: Sunny with temperatures warming into the low to middle 80s. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

Tropic, your weather doesn't sound so extreme all written out. I look forward to your bird and butterflies!

Rusty, if it's any consolation, our tomatoes have no flavor, and it takes our peaches forever to ripen.

Marsue, you and Kelli have a talent there, driving and clicking! LOL! I hope you survived yesterday's heat!

Sunfarm, ditto on the heat!

Ric, that sounds scary!! I was thinking of the weather you would be driving in since you went back to work, but I was thinking more of the snow and ice.

Wow Adina! What kind of snake? Does anyone know?

Joey, ROTFL!!

Pepper, I think your cool front yesterday, will be mine later today. I hope!

Celia, I don't have a clue :o)

I spent all day in yesterday. It was so wet in the yard and garden, that there really wasn't anything to do. The mosquitos were just enough to make you mad. Today begins the Grandkid weekend.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

The official temp was 96, with heat index of 109 yesterday. Hottest in nearly 3 years. Too much for me!
That picture of the Caddy must have been printed by the offset method.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Pepper: that looks like a rose to me. LOL
Ric: I saw on the news this morning that the wind you experienced took the roof off a building somewhere in Ohio (can't remember where they said) and killed some folks?
Adina: snake eggs!!! What did they do with them?
Celia: the back end is off-center?
BP: your weekend is starting early!! :o))
Sunfarm: the weather guys say we can thank a stalled front for keeping the high temps here in the south rather than letting them move on over to the east. GRRRRRR!

# Today: Sun and clouds mixed. A stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible. Heat index near 110F. High 102F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Variable clouds with scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly late. Humid. Low near 75F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

I snapped this photo last week. Is this a Pearl Crescent?

Thumbnail by marsue
noonamah, Australia

Last night the air became icy as the sun went down. By 10:00 pm temperature was down to 16.2C (61.2F). But then it went up again, getting just over 21C (69.8F) through the middle of the night. After 3:30 am it was on a downward slide again, reaching the overnight minimum of 15.4C (59.7F) at 7:40 am. This afternoon the maximum reached 33.6C (92.5F).

The south easterly air flow has warmed up from yesterday. Tonight here it hasn't got that icy chill that last night had, but it still feels quite cool. 9:00 pm it was down to 20.6C (69.1F). So another cold morning ahead, but hopefully that'll be the last. I'm hoping that the next line up of highs and lows don't bring about a repetition.

Billyporter, in the tropics, especially nearer the equator temperatures don't vary much. Our lowest maximum temperatures occur during summer. Highest maximums are during spring. Coldest nights are during winter. Hottest nights are late spring and summer.

Marsue, the 86F was the lowest maximum this July. The lowest temperature was 60.5F.

Cressida cressida, "Big Greasy". The fore wings are opaque, a bit like grease proof paper. It's a papilionid found across tropical northern Australia. It's hovering over a Premna acuminata. Fairly inconspicuous flowers but very attractive to butterflies.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
(Zone 7a)

I can always count on my friends here (and 'other' places) to give me a laugh and an education. Thanks, everyone! ^_^

90º today. That's cooler than it's been in awhile. There is a wonderful breeze coming through the windows.

Just before sunrise this morning at Casa Santiago.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Betty Boop is going strong.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

I'm always amazed how the birds blend with the surroundings, even when they're man-made.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Tropic: that is a beautiful butterfly! Over here in my state we have a plant called the Red Dragon Persicaria that has tiny flowers which also attract the pollinators.
Celia:; great photos! Pretty sunrise. You have your windows open at 90F? Betty Boop is looking good, indeed! The robin does blend in, doesn't it?

(Zone 7a)

Mau, my windows open in May and stay open until October! LOL I can't stand the stuffy feeling. Even with the evaporative cooler on, they stay partially open.

Anyone recognize this type of squash? One of Darrell's buddy gave us the plant and he doesn't know what it is, either. He's never grown anything that looks like it. We're going to try it tonight.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

How large is it? If it's big, it could be a cushaw.

The faint stripes make me think it might be a butternut cross where someone saved seeds last year from squash where 2 or more var. grew close together.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

I will vote with Darius on the squash. We have had some interesting things pop up, including some pure white acorn squash last year that were delicious and very smooth in texture-- almost like mashed potatoes. The "white" acorns in the supermarket were creamy yellow by comparison. I saved seeds but have not planted them this year.

FYI, Mau, pearl crescents are quite small--about 1-1.5" wingspan. We have loads of them here. Here's a picture of two.

I can't believe we did not get any rain!

Thumbnail by sunfarm
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The building damaged was in Croton, OH about 120 miles N/E of us.
A chicken factory collapsed. 2 men were killed, many others injured.

90° again here today.
BBL
Ric

Thanks Mau for telling me what pic I posted. LOL. It must have changed without me knowing.

Well, tonight has been kinda crazy here. My phone fell out of my back pocket into the toilet earlier today and I didn't realize it til I flushed it. Luckily it got stuck in the toilet so we were able to dig it out AFTER taking apart a section of pipe and flushing and AFTER unhooking the toilet. LOL. But the bad thing is it may have water damage. I'm hoping we can get ahold of the phone company tomorrow and see if they will work with us since it's a new phone.

Finally, the weather: Cooler than yesterday but still pretty warm. High 80s, slight breeze and mostly sunny.

Ok, the pic here better be my toothache plants!! LOL. The pic lasat night is Don Juan in front and Blushing Knockout in the back.

Thumbnail by pepper23
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

pepper... you need to read this ASAP!

How to Save Your Wet Cellphone: Tech Clinic
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tips/4269047

Thanks!! We did some of that so hopefully it works. I printed it off so we would have the info on hand.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.