Do you have any Agave attenuata or hybrids?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Post them for an Agave attenuata hybrid parade, I hope!

I just found my pictures of Agave Blue Flame which is from a cross of Agave shawii x Agave attenuate. Just so lovely!

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Isn't she lovely
Isn't she wonderful
Isn't she precious

Thumbnail by Kell
barmera, Australia

Kell. That is lovely. It looks painted. Good job. Colleen

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Kell, Is the plant in the ground or in a pot? What a talented photographer you are!

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is a variegated Agave from HD.

Thumbnail by Ravens444

and here is Kara Stripes. I got her as a very small pup from my brother. She has two small pups in my prop house. She did not show any variation for a few years.

Have a great day!

Thumbnail by Ravens444
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Agave "Blue Glow" (attenuata x ocahui) is very open to the world

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

Agave attenuata juvenile from a pup I very rudely planted on April 15 with zero roots. Two new leaves since then.

As an aside I highly recommend a see-thru container in situations like this where you're curious about the action below ground. The picture is pretty bad but you get the point. We're jamming.

Here is the mother ship, which I transplanted back in April. This is a community garden. In Mexico this plant is called a "trompa de elefante" = "elephant trunk" instead of Foxtail Agave.

For the curious, this link shows how it looked in April.

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2010/04/13/Baja_Costero/aef907.jpg

This message was edited Jul 27, 2010 5:15 PM

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

My Kara's Stripes hiding behind Colocasia 'Mojito'.

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

WOW Ravens, you got a good one! I keep looking for them at every HD I go to! I have 3 already but if I see more I know I will get more. LOL I so wanted that plant for so long.

Your Kara's Stripes is a nice one too. I have 2 but both are not too great. When they tissue cultured Kara's Stripes they got a yellowish one. The guy who had the attenuata that sported to Kara's Stripes named it Agave attenuata 'Raea's Gold', after his daughter (Kara Stripes is named after his wife). I did see one recently for the first time but it was not a good specimen.

I had no clue Baja that Agave Blue Glow was an attenuata hybrid. I love that one! I have seen the variegated one too though the variegation is minimal at the stripe.

Your "mother ship" is just beautiful!

Goodoldbake, do you keep your in water? I am on my second Colocasia 'Mojito' and keep meaning to put it in my tiny water garden which is in a pot. I love the leaves so much!

Here is an Agave attenuata Kara's Stripe I saw on a garden tour the other day. It sits in full sun and looked better than most I have seen. Plus it was big!

Thumbnail by Kell
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Here's a nice blue Agave attenuata

Thumbnail by palmbob
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Doesn't this remind you of a Dr. Seuss plant? An Agave attenuata in full glory!

Edited to say this pic was taken on 12/22/08. See below for the same blooming stalks taken on 8/03/10 just 4 months shy of 2 years. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8025014

This message was edited Aug 7, 2010 10:16 AM

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Now that is really blue! I love so blue!

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's my variegated Agave from HD. It's not NEAR as nice as Ravens'. I found this one at the HD in the Mira Mesa area of San Diego earlier this year. It was at a time when they had the fenced off area of the parking lot for plant overflow. Boy was I surprised to find it. I snatched it up like someone was going to take it away from me. :) I keep looking for more, but alas...

Thumbnail by TLeaves

I love it when they bloom in stereo.

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

VERY nice blue! I'd love to find a blue like that. The only one's I've seen are gray or washed out.

Great photo Kell. Did you grow these?

My experience with variegation is that it changes..... so if you don't like your plant so much today... just wait in a month or two it will be different.

I think Kara takes a few years to get going.. Or at least mine did.

I love everybody's pics. Great plants!

It makes me want to shop! OH no!

Happy gardening!

Austin, TX

Oh, Kell that blue is rockin' gorgeous...I have agave envy. That one's little striations are so pretty.
Everybodies pics are so good. I love the "smoothie" agaves.
Those stereo blooms are spectacular, glad I fell into this thread.
My "smoothies" are agave weberi, I have several and these two are new from Austin's cactus guru and grower, Bob Barth. Now I want an attenuata!

Thumbnail by sylguy

Agave attenuata is exceptionally intolerant of cold. Be aware of that if you experience frost. PF says Zone 9b and higher.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49912/

Austin, TX

I hear you baja, if I get one I'll bring it in out of the below 40* weather.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Even though I see huge ones in my neigborhood, my small regular green one in a gallon can that sits on the end of my porch so in partial sun gets all pocked in winter. And we do not even get that cold here. Though I see huge ones around with no damage at all.

My new variegated ones will come in or maybe go into the hoop house.

Tleaves, I have a few oddly variegated ones I bought on eBay for way too much as well as some small regular green ones. A few I grew from pups from that one I have pictured above with the 2 huge flower stalks. They were filled with baby agaves. The owner came out on one of my photo visits and gave me some. I have no real place for them but thought I would grow them for fun for awhile.

I have to take a photo of the rare ones. They live on my dining room table and could use some time outside. They are a bit sad looking. I have them in a severe cactus mix because I was so afraid they would rot but I think I need to move them into a more soil based one. And now I have 3 grand ones with great variegation and good size too from HD. My thrill of the year.

So Slyguy, I have an Agave weberi too. Just such a great one. What are the parents of that one?

I saw more Agave Blue Flame the other day at a nursery. A grower must be selling them now. I am so close to getting one but the bucks were big and they had damage. I rather find a smaller one. I think I took a picture but am backing up some of my photos so cannot look now.

Nancy, I just saw your question when looking back. That is not mine. I saw it at a nursery and now wish I could remember where for it was much cheaper than the ones I just saw the other day. Oh I just remembered where and it probably was not cheap at all which is probably why it is not mine today! LOL. It was at a very expensive cactus nursery in Berkeley. Which is fine, something to look for in the future.

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

RAV, Thank for the tip. I'm looking forward to watching it morph over the years.

Kel - so when you posted asking for A. attenuata or hybrids, what are some of the other hybrids of attenuata that could potentially be posted here?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

TLeaves, I've searched all of the Home Depots within 10 miles of my house to locate a variegated Agave attenuata. To no avail! I'll keep looking and will let you know if I come across any. If you find more in the northern SD area and can spare one, please let me know. Here's a picture of my regular 'ol A. attenuata, still looking stunning in dappled shade.

Thumbnail by zone10
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, stunning it is Zone 10! I love all of the attenuatas. All are so beautiful!

PS Zone 10. I so hope you find a variegated one at HD. They are so spectacular.

Tleaves I have 1 of these Agave attenuata 'Albo-marginata' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/122750/
A knock out! Though mine is much smaller and I was growing it too dry.

And I have a small one with white stripes at the perimeter of each leaf, not sure of the name.

I also have a Agave attenuata medio picta Shadow which maybe sport that some guy on eBay is growing out. When I got it, it had defined dark margins but now they are much more muted. Could be I have it in too much or too little sun. LOL. I have it sitting on my dining room table under sky lights. I will have to notice in the next few days if direct sun hits it.

Here is a close up of the one of the bloom spikes after the flowers matured with no pollination took place. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8001404 The in full pic was taken on 12/22 and the this one with the little plantlets was taken 5 months later on 5/28. So the bloom cycle is quite entertaining for a long long time.

This message was edited Jul 31, 2010 8:05 PM

Thumbnail by Kell

What happened next? Come on, don't leave us in suspense. The bulbils demand to be heard!

I don't think we'll ever see a blue attenuata picture any better than this one...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/95347/

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Hey Z10 - I'll be sure to let you know if I see any more at HD. I check often. BTW - Your 'regular ol' is really nice!

Kel - I really like the 'Albo-marginata'. The reason I asked is because I was aware that the 'blue flame' and 'blue glow' were attenuata hybrids, but I didn't the A. weberi was one. So I guess I didn't expect to see it here.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks TLeaves! BTW, the variegated plant you picked up from HD is just beautiful!! Those who recognize what a find that was, are probably few and far between. Good thing! Stopped by the HD in El Cajon today. Nothing! They seem to stock more cactus than succulents at that store. Maybe I'll travel north a bit to see what I might find?

Austin, TX

Kell, I'm with Baja....we want to waatch that bloom spike.

I'm not up with the parentage, but he marked it on the label "Agave weberi-03", Weber Agave. I don't know if the 03 means anything. Also said "grows quickly to 6' tall and wide.

Also, I'm putting this out there...I have a very good (but not perfect) plant ID book, that another grower here uses and I got on Amazon. SUCCULENTS, The Illustrated Dictionary, by Maurizio Sajeva & Mariangel Costanzo. Now I would like a good CARE book...yes I looked in "Bookworm", and try as I might I could not find the "legend" for the ratings. I'd like a good basic handbook for care.

I put those that are tender to under 40" in a makeshift green house formed by dropping plastic off a beam on a deep over hang, and putting in a heater. i keep it at 50* all winter. I lost many things that we usually leave in the ground because it was a freaky year. You've mentioned keeping some inside, and I'd like to know about that...you got me thinking, I have two huge skylights in the family room and tons of windows.

I've only brought a ver few in and I just took some pics showing bottom leaves curling under and tucking their point into the soil, what's up with that...anyone?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh Baja, I just love that picture! Such a dramatic driveway turnaround. Is the rest of the landscaping as exciting?

Zone10, have you found a variegated one yet? I keep checking for more too. No luck! That and blue cactus. I am so needy! LOL. I promised one of my variegated to a garden here so now I do need more for sure. LOL

What zone are you in Sylguy? So you lost succulents at 50 degrees? WOW I am cool here and have better luck than that. I do put up a hoophouse in winter and though this last year i did not use heat in it, all survived. I also stuck metal stakes in ,y big succulent pots and draped plastic over the stake and put a rubber band over the top. That method worked so well I will do many more this way this winter.

I was supposed to move the plants off my dining table come spring but I did not because I am pathetic. Then later on I was afraid to move them out of fear they would get sunburned. I have not had any problem with them keeping them inside except my husband is not thrilled.

I finally went back to get an update on that Dr. Seuss A. attenuata for Baja and Slyguy. Sorry it took me so long.

The bloom stalk are still there though the entire 2 blooming agaves are now gone!

Edited to say look at photo of same blooming stalks taken in peak bloom on 12/22/2008 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8001404
and this picture below taken 4 months shy of 2 years later. Bloom stalks have lasted that long!

This message was edited Aug 7, 2010 10:19 AM

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

See how no more agave? It looks like the top will die off but the bottom of the bloom stalk which must have been a continuation of the center core of the agave will live on and pup from it to make a new clump.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

It looks pretty solid.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

From the bottom.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

The bloom stalk is looking ragged!

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

But still good looking live babies on it.

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

So cute.

Thumbnail by Kell

Cool. Thank you for the followup shots. I'm impressed by the persistence of the bulbils for such a long time on the dead stem.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Boy, I am too. Agaves are amazing plants!

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the pic's Kell. Very interesting how the pups grow all around the center core (probably not the proper terms.)

Any idea of the procedure for getting them in the ground? Do you cut off the plant with part of the core?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.