Becky's garden - Summer 2010

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

I cant even begin to compete with that Becky, both in terms of quantity and quality but I'm trying in my first year.
Soon I will post my result for the year, until then I wish everybody the success I seem to have enjoyed!
I owe a great deal to some of the help and advice I have received and I thank you all for that.
We've had our ups and downs, but hey that's gardening for you! Thank you all.

Jon

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Dany's NOID. Can you see the tiny ant at the entrance to the throat? I wonder what it thinks looking into the throat from that vantage point? I wonder if ants see in color! Can you imagine that if you were that little ant? Crazy, huh?

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Jon - You jest, my friend! Your garden was amazing this year! For a first timer ... you did an awesome job and your glories were drop dead gorgeous!!!!

This is another of Antoinette's crosses. This color is so wild! I can't get over it! This is Hanafubuki x Blue Tie-dye's newest bloom. Whoo hoo! LOL!

This is a NOID. I love the two-toned blues with that hint of pink throat! My eyes are immediately drawn to these blooms! The color is so intense! I love it!

This is Sekihou. I need to cross this one with Blue Speckles ... ;-)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

such beautfiul blooms becky, your blue speckles is a sight to behold. I also have wondered what an ant sees when they are down in the throat of a flower. LOL Must be like " Oh WOW!" Where are we?

LOL! Yeah it would look like a theater stage or something to me! LOL!

Thanks, Debra!

Your Kikyo lace is pretty. The pink Kikyo from you is budding. Can't wait!

Thanks! You should get a bright pink bloom! And it bloomed in flushes for me once the vine took off in growth. I really liked the pink a lot! It made lots of seeds, too! :-) But ... you may get a cross ... that's all I'm going to say ! lol Can't wait to see your blooms on that one!

Pretoria, South Africa

Becky, your latest flowers are "drop dead" gorgeous!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Becky, amazing blooms. Love Plum Shadows, both blooms and
Blue Speckles. Gorgeous Dbl Jishi and Fuji Musumi.
I like A's cross more all the time.
The Sekihou is beautiful

Jon your blooms were very pretty.Hope you took time to enjoy them this summer . :-)

This is a plant that the British refer to as a "Conservatory" plant. Love it and don't recall the name. If anyone knows, please share the name with me!

Virginia Beach, VA(Zone 7b)

Becky, you have a large and beautiful collection. Where does everyone get
their seeds? I bought some blue one's on e-bay 'Hatsu Arashi and 'Star of India'.
The first one is suppose to be a deep blue.

Becky, looks like a beautiful Acidanthera Bi-color, a bulb

zinniared - Seed swaps, trades, and sharing for postage is where I got most of mine, along with some purchases of Japanese seed packets. If you would like a mixed packet of MG seeds (some nice ones!), then dmail me. I'll send you about 15 seeds (1 each of different cultivars) for postage. :-)

Jackie - I think you are correct!!! That is just the first bloom. I have two containers full of that plant. It's going to be beautiful when they all start blooming. My Fall bloomers!

Mesilla Park, NM

I think Onalee's has both of those seeds on her site, I'm not sure.. about Hatsu arashi, but she used to have Star of India (SOI)

Mesilla Park, NM

Becky, you sure did and are doing a great job growing mgs, you always have had the best showy flowers. Thanks for sharing the photos with us.

Virginia Beach, VA(Zone 7b)

Thank you Becky, I will d-mail you.

Linda

Gourd - Yes! You are correct. Japanese seed packs can be obtained from Onalees and that is where many people get their genuine JMG seeds from. Rather pricey, but usually true cultivars. Thanks for the compliment on my bloom photos. I do see many others here as well with some wonderful cultivars and matching photos! I look forward to your vines next year! You always have such great photos as well and I LOVE your crosses!

Linda - I sent you a dmail. :-)

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

A regular botanical gardens in Sebastian Fl!

Dorothy - LOL! Hardly. A sad excuse for a garden from my perspective with everything growing in buckets! LOL LOL LOL

But ... the blooms I've had this year have been worth it, for sure! :-)

Nice to see you Dorothy. We've missed your posts.

Aschaffenburg, Germany

Becky, do you think this is a Khokan?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1122470/

Martin

Martin - I don't know. Did I send you Kohkan?

My Kokhan had variegated leaves and very large blooms. Yours look much different than that. Unless it is a cross, I don't think so! And if it is a cross ... no telling what it crossed with.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Patootie
You are right - I've posted on other forums but not this one. I just dropped in to see what Becky was growing. I planted a lot of morning glory seeds and only two vines did modestly well (not as good with the manure feed as I should have been - it has been soooooo hot - I have been avoiding the back deck - the only place I can grow the morning glories that the deer won't get to) weeds overtaking everything this year too. And a lot of snakes and mosquitos which sort of takes the motivation out of me. But happy to see everyone elses blooms. Next year I will try again.

Dorothy, every yr we deal with weeds, snakes and mosquitoes. Lets hope
next yr we don't have this record breaking heat to deal with. Kept me from
planting all I wanted to plant from seeds. It's all I can do to water everything.

Becky, your Kohkan was beautiful last yr

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Becky, they are all lovely! I don't have but a few growing this year, planted only minimal amount of seeds. Am thankful for that though, many of my plants are "fried" because of our awfully hot July and August.

BTW....are any of your daylily seedlings that are blooming from the daylily seeds I sent you? Were you able to keep track of the crosses I sent? Just curious.

Hi Sandy! I hear ya about the heat this summer! It's been awful!!!

As far as the daylily seedlings ... I was not able to keep track of which ones and who they were from, but I am positive that many of them were from YOU! The seeds came from you and Karla. I only received seeds from the two of you. She believes most of the ones from her were the Spider Daylilies. So many of the others are yours. I don't know how many of them will return next year, but I believe most will. Fingers crossed. I'd been reading that even though some grow from seedlings and do well the first couple of years, that they often wind up dying due to climate. That is yet to be determined here. Hopefully, the daylilies are happy here and come back year after year. :-)

Are you still growing daylilies? I know the year before you had some problems getting your seeds to germinate. I got lucky and had great success with your seeds that same year. Again, I thank you for all of those beauties!!! I know a large number of them were your crossed seeds! :-)

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Great to hear Becky! If you want to ever email me some pics of the seedlings I'd love to see them!

My two Kanoko seeds I found germinated and are growing strong in a clay pot. I hope to get some blooms and will try hand pollinating them to see if I can get some seeds. Keep your fingers crossed!

Sandy - Please dmail me your email address. :-)

Wonderful news about your Kanoko seeds! Yay!

That Kokhan is Beautiful!

Out of the 15 seeds I sowed of Blue Speckles, only 4 have germinated. I think it might be the high humidity here causing a problem. Two of the 4 just recently germinated, so I don't think the seeds rotted. They are just taking their sweet time.

One of the vines is really odd looking. Check it out.

Mesilla Park, NM

Becky, the dominant and recessive characteristics are starting to come out in this generation... it will be interesting what the next generation will bring. Great job, some seeds need more time to germinate then others, and some seed coats are harder than others too.

Out of the 107 seeds I started (nicked and soaked) last Sunday, 101 have germinated within the first few days and they all have their first true leaf...I am so excited.

Keep us posted on this one.
A.

I just love new baby morning glorys. So cute!

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Debra, I just love new babies, I have one and he is my baby boy! Everything in the whole world comes second place to him! Even morning glories.

Aschaffenburg, Germany

Becky, do you remember have we had a thread on the lines of: The ideal MG potting mix...? If not, I would be very interested in starting one,
hoping, of course, that people would share their secrets...

Martin

Mesilla Park, NM

yes, I'd like to know the ideal MG potting mix too..lol..

Wouldn't it be nice if they sold a bag called "Perfect MG Potting Mix" then we would be set to go.

It is a good topic for a thread though, I think there was one a couple of years ago where everyone listed the soils they used here on this forum. Maybe we could bump it up and then add to it.

edited for spelling.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2010 8:50 AM

I haven't found the perfect potting mix. Here in hot and humid Florida ... I need a mix that hold moisture. Which is why I happen to like the Moisture Control potting mix by MiracleGro. But to make it go further (as it is a bit expensive), I had pine fines, perlite, vermiculite, compost, and whatever else I can find to throw in there.

Has anyone used coffee grinds? If so, how did the plants respond? I'm making my dh save all his coffee grinds...

I'm getting some really weird leaves on my Plum Dots vine ...

Not sure if it is a mutant gene or something else going on?

I'm getting some weird leaves on the Blue Sazanami #1 as well ...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.